teens are finding a cheap high in the pantry.
The Georgia Poison Center says teenagers in metro Atlanta are using nutmeg for an easy high.
"One caller complained about her 15-year-old son. He got into an ounce of nutmeg, had fallen over into a stupor, looked pale and weak," Dr. Gaylord Lopez, director of the poison center, told Channel 2 Action News.
Lopez said organic compounds in ground nutmeg can mildly simulate the effects of amphetamines or LSD.
There are many unpleasant, even dangerous, side effects. Too much nutmeg could mean nausea, vomiting, dizziness and possibly convulsions.
"What we worry about is other cases where they get flush. Their heartbeat starts moving up the ladder, and if somebody has an underlying heart condition, that is undiagnosed or unrecognized, you may have a tragedy on your hands," Lopez said.
Lopez said the CDC is looking at research on nutmeg and have said this could be a potential problem they need to keep on their radar.