Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    tcho06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tcho06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tcho06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tcho06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tcho06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tcho06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tcho06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tcho06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tcho06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tcho06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tcho06 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by roccobladr View Post
    Its also a matter of what you think a "Calorie" means. Are you thinking of a Calories as providing energy as in KiloJoules? Or are you thinking of a Calorie as pertaining to a unit of food? If you are thinking in terms of just pure energy then yes, more Calories burned than taken in will cause a deficit. But I think that if you are in search of planning your Caloric intake to benefit your body and help create a healthy one then you need to think of the Calorie in the form of food that it comes from.

I think that most of us who lift weights are probably looking for the latter. We are in search of a perfect body. We want to be lean, muscular and healthy. We should be thinking of Calories as more than just a unit of fat or energy. We should also be considering the Vitamins and minerals that come from these calories. We shouldn't only ingest Amino Acid supplements (too much of one amino acid can create competition for absorption anyway), we should be ingesting some real protein source like eggs or meat that have tons of other vitamins and minerals in it, not JUST protein. Think of a slice of whole wheat bread that has 70 calories and a slice of white bread that has 70 calories. The whole bread will provide you with fiber and many other things and will not spike your insulin as high where as the white bread is pretty much straight up sugar when it gets in your body.

There is my rant. Hopefully it causes at least one person to think about the overall picture instead of just a "Calorie is a calorie".
    exactly what I was getting at, thanks rocco

grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by tcho06 View Post
    I'm not advocating WW, but if what they're saying is true, I think it changes a lot about how we approach nutrition. A lot of us have been pretty set on the calorie in v. calorie out argument; granted we're not gonna sit around eating 1800 calories worth of twinkies a day just cause we know it's not good for our body, but if eating 2000 calories worth of a healthy, balanced, fruit, vegetable and lean meat diet will make you drop more fat than 2000 calories worth of processed foods, then I know that there are a tweeks in my diet I need to make (i.e. more heartier salads, the way I choose my fruits, etc., what kind of protein I'm taking, etc.)

I don't know any good posters on here who advocate just calories in calories out... bb.com is definitely all about the macros p/f/c, people here know about BF% and more muscle will take more protein to maintain, athletes have different nutritional requirements, etc. etc. I think anybody who has made it to the nutrition forum on bb.com is obviously beyond any simple WW dogma plan, or at least they are looking for more informative answers.

and generally your better posters on here have been advocating not eating processed food, lean cuisines, stouffers, mcdonalds forever... where you been?

and of course your best of the best posters will advocate choosing lean chicken breast and egg whites over getting your protein from a boca burger or bologna.

WW is for fat office people who don't exercise and want the easy way out. (Generalizing here I know... ) but...yeah

I guess I am going to have to change my diet now based on this article, no more 15x oreo 100 calorie packs a day!

Originally Posted by bbejj123 View Post
    a calorie is a calorie but a calorie isnt a calorie.

let me explain what i mean here.

eating a calorie will give your body a calorie of energy

lets say your doing the same thing both days activity wise and you burn 2200 calories
    but certain macronutrients cause greater thermic effects, such as protein has the highest thermic effect, being something like 25% (roughly) where as a carb is 10% (not sure but its less). so eating a 2000 calorie diet high in protein will help you burn more calories due to the thermic effect of the food, where as a 2000 calorie diet lower in protein wont burn quite as much fat because less of the calories are being used for the thermic effect.

so you still ate 2000 calories on both diets however your body burn more calories.

so with the 1st diet thats higher in protein you actually burn more calories so lets say you burned 2300 now instead of the 2200 due to the TEF(thermic effect of the food)
    where with the 2nd diet you only burned 2210 instead of the 2200.

so diet 1 we burned 2300
    and diet2 we burned 2210.
    diet1 caused more weight loss, but still ate the same amount of calories as diet 2.

so a calorie is still a calorie but a calorie isnt a calorie
    haha hope that wasnt too long and confusing and made some sense
    well that and they are going to get processed differently... a stick of butter isn't going to go to your biceps, it will go to fat stores or be used as energy.

a candy corn isn't going to your biceps either, it will be used as energy (quickly available) or be stored as fat.

3 cups of egg whites now, that will be used for your biceps, if you go over sure it might go to fat, and if you don't have enough carbs or fat, it can be used via gluceogenesis for energy also.

in turn by adding the muscle and changing your physiology, your body is a different system and will partition everything differently... you'll need more protein the more muscle you have to maintain it, and you'll be able to burn a lot more calories also.

Weight Watchers is about losing weight, whether that comes from muscle tissue or fat, it doesn't really matter. It isn't a diet about being in shape, as it is a diet about not being so much of a fat ass.

As far as juice go, well ... DUH... Anybody that has made their own juice knows it would be a lot more... It takes about 4 oranges just to make an 8 oz glass, about 3 if they are big oranges. And then couple that with a lot of the oj people drink has no pulp in it at all, its pure sugar. Or they sit down at a diner and get a 16oz glass of OJ, that would be like sitting down and eating 8 oranges.

This is much different than somebody at home juicing that might throw a carrot, beet, some spinach, spirulina and 2 apples in a juicer. Much much healthier.
    Last edited by grapemaster; 12-10-2010 at 11:03 AM.
    @__@

tcho06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tcho06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tcho06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tcho06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tcho06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tcho06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tcho06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tcho06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tcho06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tcho06 is on a distinguished road. (+10) tcho06 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by grapemaster View Post
    I don't know any good posters on here who advocate just calories in calories out... bb.com is definitely all about the macros p/f/c, people here know about BF% and more muscle will take more protein to maintain, athletes have different nutritional requirements, etc. etc. I think anybody who has made it to the nutrition forum on bb.com is obviously beyond any simple WW dogma plan, or at least they are looking for more informative answers.

and generally your better posters on here have been advocating not eating processed food, lean cuisines, stouffers, mcdonalds forever... where you been?

and of course your best of the best posters will advocate choosing lean chicken breast and egg whites over getting your protein from a boca burger or bologna.

WW is for fat office people who don't exercise and want the easy way out. (Generalizing here I know... ) but...yeah

I guess I am going to have to change my diet now based on this article, no more 15x oreo 100 calorie packs a day!

well that and they are going to get processed differently... a stick of butter isn't going to go to your biceps, it will go to fat stores or be used as energy.

a candy corn isn't going to your biceps either, it will be used as energy (quickly available) or be stored as fat.

3 cups of egg whites now, that will be used for your biceps, if you go over sure it might go to fat, and if you don't have enough carbs or fat, it can be used via gluceogenesis for energy also.

in turn by adding the muscle and changing your physiology, your body is a different system and will partition everything differently... you'll need more protein the more muscle you have to maintain it, and you'll be able to burn a lot more calories also.

Weight Watchers is about losing weight, whether that comes from muscle tissue or fat, it doesn't really matter. It isn't a diet about being in shape, as it is a diet about not being so much of a fat ass.

As far as juice go, well ... DUH... Anybody that has made their own juice knows it would be a lot more... It takes about 4 oranges just to make an 8 oz glass, about 3 if they are big oranges. And then couple that with a lot of the oj people drink has no pulp in it at all, its pure sugar. Or they sit down at a diner and get a 16oz glass of OJ, that would be like sitting down and eating 8 oranges.

This is much different than somebody at home juicing that might throw a carrot, beet, some spinach, spirulina and 2 apples in a juicer. Much much healthier.
    thanks for affirming what i thought. repping you and rocco.

and where have i been? ive been here, but haven't been able to distinguish between the good posters and the bad posters and the trash posts put out. ill be a little bit mroe discerning next time.