Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Incline bench press instead of flat bench for starting strength?

Anyone ever try starting strength but doing incline bench instead of regular bench? Could you do that with the intentions of building up your upper pectoral muscles more. I hate that droopy man boob chest just my opinion. I have noticed the last bit of fat I have to lose on my chest is right below my nipple and so I am thinking by developing my upper chest more it will "look" better. Or maybe even doing something like this.

Monday-squat 3x5
    bench 3x5
    row 3x5

Wednesday-Squat 3x5
    Military press 3x5
    deadlift 1x5

Friday-Squat 3x5
    Incline bench 3x8-12
    row 3x5

so I would add weight to all lifts but just not to my bench as quickly because on weeks that I am benching twice I will do inclines one of those times. On weeks I do military press twice I will do my bench day with flat and 3x5. I think it breaks down to doing inclines 3-4 times a month just so I can offset any major growth that does not look aesthetically pleasing to me.

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    A 5'10" 145 lbs novice probably shouldn't be worried about something like "upper chest".

Where are the power cleans?

And lol at the 5'10" 145 pound buy complaining about fat on his chest. Seriously, just get stronger in the basic compound movements while gaining weight with plenty of protein and rest.

Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    bro, u can even up your volume... and have a day with different loading-reps parameters.. play a bit...training must be fun....anyway incline bench is good choice in any case

madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Stefanogym View Post
    bro, u can even up your volume... and have a day with different loading-reps parameters.. play a bit...training must be fun....anyway incline bench is good choice in any case
    Thanks I appreciate the response unlike the other guy who thinks looking good is not cool or something. I guess we should all strive to have big cone tits and fat all over ourselves. My fault for thinking that I want to look my best as well as getting stronger. Maybe I should drink 4 gallons of milk too and eat some steak and cheese sandwiches in the middle of the night. Women love a guy who can squat 4000 lbs it is a huge turn on no women like guys that are lean and fit. THey only like the guys in the geico cavemen commercials.

Has bigger from too tho ShreddPain's Avatar
    ShreddPain is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ShreddPain is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ShreddPain is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ShreddPain is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ShreddPain is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ShreddPain is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ShreddPain is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ShreddPain is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ShreddPain is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ShreddPain is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ShreddPain is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by madeira17 View Post
    Thanks I appreciate the response unlike the other guy who thinks looking good is not cool or something. I guess we should all strive to have big cone tits and fat all over ourselves. My fault for thinking that I want to look my best as well as getting stronger. Maybe I should drink 4 gallons of milk too and eat some steak and cheese sandwiches in the middle of the night.
    farley gave excellent advice, you sir cannot be helped. everything you said is just wrong. wrong. wrong. there is nothing bad about milk, steak, or cheese in sandwitch form any time of the day. "working upper chest" will not make your chest better as you have no chest to begin with. incline has been shown to increase upper chest by what 5%? you need muscle and do not need to worry about "shaping" your little chest

Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thanks I appreciate the response unlike the other guy who thinks looking good is not cool or something. I guess we should all strive to have big cone tits and fat all over ourselves.
    Yep, you're right, too much flat bench press makes 5'10" 145 pounds novices into big fat cone titted slobs. Better stick to inclines bro.

Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks I appreciate the response unlike the other guy who thinks looking good is not cool or something. I guess we should all strive to have big cone tits and fat all over ourselves. My fault for thinking that I want to look my best as well as getting stronger. Maybe I should drink 4 gallons of milk too and eat some steak and cheese sandwiches in the middle of the night. Women love a guy who can squat 4000 lbs it is a huge turn on no women like guys that are lean and fit. THey only like the guys in the geico cavemen commercials.
    Insecure much?
    *Fat Kunt Krew (FKK)* President: Alan Aragon
    *C2H6O is the only macro that counts crew*
    *4th of October Victim Krew*
    *Neg incels for fun crew*

You guys should team up and join the WWF. You guys can be called Golds Gym. I hope you guys are aware that you can't have sex with any of the weights at your gym. Maybe you think the girls on the treadmills see you coming in with grease on your face from a cheeseburger is attractive. If incline benching was so bad why on earth does the bench move up and down and why are people on here adding it into their routines. You guys can go and eat 6000 calories a day and bulk up your bodies like a goon and have diabetes and cholesterol problems in 30 years. That huge chest and fat body didnt get you any women or a healthy life. Thanks for your input and no I am not insecure at all I just know what I want and I am in control of myself. I want women to find me attractive as well as being healthy too. Don't give me your insecure BS because you are on this website just like everybody else.

ShreddPain is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ShreddPain is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ShreddPain is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ShreddPain is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ShreddPain is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ShreddPain is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ShreddPain is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ShreddPain is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ShreddPain is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ShreddPain is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ShreddPain is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    LMAO troll. flat benches make you a caveman and doing them allows you to squat 4000 pounds and while doing flat you cannot be lean and fit

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Why are you even doing SS if all you care about is your looks? SS is a strength program designed to be done on a bulk and if you're going to eat like a girl so you can keep your BF under 10% then you shouldn't be on SS.

Oh and real women don't care that much about looks, true story, try talking to some women.

You guys should team up and join the WWF. You guys can be called Golds Gym. I hope you guys are aware that you can't have sex with any of the weights at your gym. Maybe you think the girls on the treadmills see you coming in with grease on your face from a cheeseburger is attractive. If incline benching was so bad why on earth does the bench move up and down and why are people on here adding it into their routines. You guys can go and eat 6000 calories a day and bulk up your bodies like a goon and have diabetes and cholesterol problems in 30 years. That huge chest and fat body didnt get you any women or a healthy life. Thanks for your input and no I am not insecure at all I just know what I want and I am in control of myself. I want women to find me attractive as well as being healthy too. Don't give me your insecure BS because you are on this website just like everybody else.
    so your saying flat bench will cause all that? women wont find a flat bench chest as atrractive as a incline bench chest? lmao difference is so insignificant

Registered User KillerBoots_Man's Avatar
    KillerBoots_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) KillerBoots_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) KillerBoots_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) KillerBoots_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) KillerBoots_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) KillerBoots_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) KillerBoots_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) KillerBoots_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) KillerBoots_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) KillerBoots_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50) KillerBoots_Man will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yeah you're right, girls don't like a big strong guy who can protect them...serious though man you shouldn't even be worried about this, you should be worried about more important things such as your diet and rest which I would say are not in check...

I am done talking about this, I don't like when people like me ask questions in regards to trying to look better aesthetically and all I get is eat x amount of calories and bench press heavy. Not what I was asking for at all, I simply said adding inclines once a week instead of flat bench and the first response I got was 5'10" 145lbs you are a weak bla bla bla and have no chest as it is. That is not a normal answer so I was not going to tolerate it. You could have simply said this. At your height and weight you dont have to worry about developing certain parts of your chest until the point where it starts getting uneven. You could have said something like that but instead you took a direct shot at me without knowing anything about me at all. How do you know that maybe I am mentally burdened by my body and that I have tried my whole life to look the way I do. That is the problem with you muscle guys all of a sudden someone like me asks a question and you target me with your funny macho ****e. Luckily I am not a weak person and have played sports my whole life but could you imagine if I was overweight my whole life and I finally reached this current body and the first thing I hear is you have no chest at all your 145lbs. Think before you talk people you dont know anyone on here personally.

DOC_M will become famous soon enough. (+50) DOC_M will become famous soon enough. (+50) DOC_M will become famous soon enough. (+50) DOC_M will become famous soon enough. (+50) DOC_M will become famous soon enough. (+50) DOC_M will become famous soon enough. (+50) DOC_M will become famous soon enough. (+50) DOC_M will become famous soon enough. (+50) DOC_M will become famous soon enough. (+50) DOC_M will become famous soon enough. (+50) DOC_M will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    from your pics it looks like you have a good starting point. i like incline better than chest so theres nothing wrong with starting with that. there is nothing wrong with lifting for looks just make sure you ask the right questions and read the wright articles. theres alot of information on strengh building and bodybuilding and sometimes it can differ greatly.

again, you have a good starting base cause you're already lean so just eat right but alot and lift heavy.

good luck

FaintReality will become famous soon enough. (+50) FaintReality will become famous soon enough. (+50) FaintReality will become famous soon enough. (+50) FaintReality will become famous soon enough. (+50) FaintReality will become famous soon enough. (+50) FaintReality will become famous soon enough. (+50) FaintReality will become famous soon enough. (+50) FaintReality will become famous soon enough. (+50) FaintReality will become famous soon enough. (+50) FaintReality will become famous soon enough. (+50) FaintReality will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yes, you can switch up flat bench for incline, just make sure the incline is not too much or it will hinder your gains come time to do shoulder presses.

- dave

<---Is married.

<---Is not concerned with what the cardio bunnies at the gym think

<---Is bigger, stronger, more experienced and more knowledgeable than you

<---Was trying to help.

You're on your own.

You sure sound insecure
    Last edited by Farley1324; 09-26-2010 at 04:01 PM.

I am done talking about this, I don't like when people like me ask questions in regards to trying to look better aesthetically and all I get is eat x amount of calories and bench press heavy. Not what I was asking for at all, I simply said adding inclines once a week instead of flat bench and the first response I got was 5'10" 145lbs you are a weak bla bla bla and have no chest as it is. That is not a normal answer so I was not going to tolerate it. You could have simply said this. At your height and weight you dont have to worry about developing certain parts of your chest until the point where it starts getting uneven. You could have said something like that but instead you took a direct shot at me without knowing anything about me at all. How do you know that maybe I am mentally burdened by my body and that I have tried my whole life to look the way I do. That is the problem with you muscle guys all of a sudden someone like me asks a question and you target me with your funny macho ****e. Luckily I am not a weak person and have played sports my whole life but could you imagine if I was overweight my whole life and I finally reached this current body and the first thing I hear is you have no chest at all your 145lbs. Think before you talk people you dont know anyone on here personally.
    you shot down farley for giving you direct good advice

oh and take a look at my stats bro..im skinnier than you

Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It's not like this insecure ******* is getting any anyway...

******* not exactly as I have probably been with more women then you have lied about. I see you live in Norway that must be terrible. I didn't know you guys had the internet in Norway, crazy world. What do you guys do for fun in Norway, eat goat cheese from the farm and lift weights and watch american sports and listen to our music and watch our movies.

Oh I'm sorry, were you dissing Norway? I can't hear you over my barrel of oil.

******* not exactly as I have probably been with more women then you have lied about. I see you live in Norway that must be terrible. I didn't know you guys had the internet in Norway, crazy world. What do you guys do for fun in Norway, eat goat cheese from the farm and lift weights and watch american sports and listen to our music and watch our movies.
    your somethin else

henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Dont listen to those fools (Farley, Kirra), OP they think all 140 lb people have noodle arms and are flat chested, they're dumb.

Incline Bench prioritization will improve your upper chest and overall chest appearance, I know it improved mine. I prioritized incline bench for two years to bring up my lagging upper chest, and guess what, it grew and my chest looks more 'full' and alot better.

Originally Posted by henmaniac87 View Post
    Dont listen to those fools (Farley, Kirra), OP they think all 140 lb people have noodle arms and are flat chested, they're dumb.

Incline Bench prioritization will improve your upper chest and overall chest appearance, I know it improved mine. I prioritized incline bench for two years to bring up my lagging upper chest, and guess what, it grew and my chest looks more 'full' and alot better.

Yes, you should listen to what the 6'0" 145 pound guy says developed his chest.

Good call.

Ohhhhh!!!! I understand now!!

This guy is the hot 18 year old you were talking about! Good for you man.

Good for you!

Getting sort of strong truckerman79's Avatar
    truckerman79 is just really nice. (+1000) truckerman79 is just really nice. (+1000) truckerman79 is just really nice. (+1000) truckerman79 is just really nice. (+1000) truckerman79 is just really nice. (+1000) truckerman79 is just really nice. (+1000) truckerman79 is just really nice. (+1000) truckerman79 is just really nice. (+1000) truckerman79 is just really nice. (+1000) truckerman79 is just really nice. (+1000) truckerman79 is just really nice. (+1000)
    This thread is hilarious. MOAR
    "If you don't Deadlift, the terrorists win."- eomrat

henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100) henmaniac87 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Farley1324 View Post
    Yes, you should listen to what the 6'0" 145 pound guy says developed his chest.

Good call.
    It went from flat to pretty damn nice, so Id listen if I was him.

Originally Posted by henmaniac87 View Post
    It went from flat to pretty damn nice, so Id listen if I was him.
    Whats your chest measure?

How much you bench?

sbowesuk is not very well liked. (-100) sbowesuk is not very well liked. (-100) sbowesuk is not very well liked. (-100) sbowesuk is not very well liked. (-100) sbowesuk is not very well liked. (-100) sbowesuk is not very well liked. (-100) sbowesuk is not very well liked. (-100) sbowesuk is not very well liked. (-100) sbowesuk is not very well liked. (-100) sbowesuk is not very well liked. (-100) sbowesuk is not very well liked. (-100)

Exclamation

Mark Rippetoe created the SS program, and his opinion is this:

The second you start trying to be clever and change elements of SS, you're no longer doing SS.

The best students are the ones who know when to close their mouths, open their ears, and simply trust that the professional telling them what to do knows what the **** they're talking about. He's the expert - you're the beginner. You're going to make a crap load more progress listening to the expert than listening to yourself. Sorry mate, but that's a ****ing fact. Good day

ROFL

vslice44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vslice44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vslice44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vslice44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vslice44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vslice44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vslice44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vslice44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vslice44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vslice44 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vslice44 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    guys keep arguing, it's keeping me entertained during football games on commercials
    NSCA - CSCS, CPT
    UofM - "It's all about the U"
    -------------------------------------------------
    Max Lifts:
    Bench - 395lbs
    Squat - 500lbs
    Deadlift - 515lbs
    Clean - 340lbs
    -------------------------------------------------
    See my training at: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126150963

"Mental toughness is to physical as four is to one."