anferni has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question clean bulking totally failed!

When i started to organize my meal plans for my bulking period (October - February), i was very excited.
    I wanted to gain up to 15 pounds as clean as they could be, but also i decided not to press myself that much to avoid candies and sugar in general.
    This had a huge psychological impact on me. I found myself eating huge amounts of chocolate bars, cookies, cakes etc. After two months i see myself heavier by 22 pounds and lot of fat around my waist.
    Fortunately, i manage to stop even though it is to late. (considering my 8-pack has desappeared under a tone of fat).
    So the question is what do i do now? Shall i continue my bulking through out winter as scheduled, or is it better to do a small cutting section and then start over?
    It was a complete failure. What do you think guys?

In it for the Long Haul! bbavender's Avatar
    bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000) bbavender is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by anferni View Post
    When i started to organize my meal plans for my bulking period (October - February), i was very excited.
    I wanted to gain up to 15 pounds as clean as they could be, but also i decided not to press myself that much to avoid candies and sugar in general.
    This had a huge psychological impact on me. I found myself eating huge amounts of chocolate bars, cookies, cakes etc. After two months i see myself heavier by 22 pounds and lot of fat around my waist.
    Fortunately, i manage to stop even though it is to late. (considering my 8-pack has desappeared under a tone of fat).
    So the question is what do i do now? Shall i continue my bulking through out winter as scheduled, or is it better to do a small cutting section and then start over?
    It was a complete failure. What do you think guys?
    It seems your not mentally prepared to bulk. So, I would cut to where your comfortable and then set up a bulk again. But, this time, include everything that you enjoy eating so it doesnt seem like foods are off limits causing you to gorge on them.
    ED got me, ill be darned if it gets anyone else.

Only the strong survive...

25-RAC-99

Follow my RFL Journey: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141048001

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Do you know what your % BF is now and what it was why you started your bulk?

Also, the bulk isn't necessarily a total failure in that you likely gained a few pounds of muscle so far. It just sounds like the ratio of LBM:Fat was very bad.

The important thing is to keep up the motivation and channel any frustation you feel towards fixing this problem and getting into even better shape that you first planned.

ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by bbavender View Post
    It seems your not mentally prepared to bulk. So, I would cut to where your comfortable and then set up a bulk again. But, this time, include everything that you enjoy eating so it doesnt seem like foods are off limits causing you to gorge on them.
    If he is not mentally prepared to bulk (which is about eating extra) how in the world would be mentally prepared to cut!?

OP, did you have a couple cheat meals a week? This will aid in mentally avoiding candy and such.

Your idea of a "clean bulk" was not fundamentally sound. You cannot put on 15 lbs of pure muscle bud...thats a fantasy.

Originally Posted by WonderPug View Post
    Do you know what your % BF is now and what it was why you started your bulk?

Also, the bulk isn't necessarily a total failure in that you likely gained a few pounds of muscle so far. It just sounds like the ratio of LBM:Fat was very bad.

The important thing is to keep up the motivation and channel any frustation you feel towards fixing this problem and getting into even better shape that you first planned.
    When i started bulking i was 7,5% BF. Now, i have no idea. I just see myself in the mirror and looks pretty bad.

Originally Posted by ven33 View Post
    If he is not mentally prepared to bulk (which is about eating extra) how in the world would be mentally prepared to cut!?

OP, did you have a couple cheat meals a week? This will aid in mentally avoiding candy and such.

Your idea of a "clean bulk" was not fundamentally sound. You cannot put on 15 lbs of pure muscle bud...thats a fantasy.
    That's the really awkward part. I really have no problem in cutting. I always reach a low BF in the end of my cutting period. I am having trouble in bulking because i feel really free to consume everything. And when this happens i can't stop and my BF skyrockets.

And, of course i know that is impossible to put on 15 pounds af lean mass. I wasn't aiming to that, but i certainly didn't want to put 22lb of fat. If you know what i mean...

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    When i started bulking i was 7,5% BF. Now, i have no idea. I just see myself in the mirror and looks pretty bad.
    You need to determine how much fat and how much LBM you gained during the bulk (or part of the scheduled bulk) and see how much, if any, real damage you have done.

And you need to set a caloric intake goal during a bulk. Keep to perhaps 500 calories above maintenance.

A bulk should be just as controlled as a cut. Set caloric/macronutrient targets and meet them.

MadMuscleMania has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MadMuscleMania has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MadMuscleMania has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yo B,
    First of all - i know its hard to hear it, but you cant beat yourself up about this ish.
    I have been there and for me it comes down to having a careful balance.
    What i found useful during both cutting and bulking cycles was to keep strict on the nutrition (on both ends of the scales) but always allow myself one cheat meal or treat on a sunday.
    Obviously everybody is different - but thats what worked for me rather than trying to stick to my plan 100% of the time and then binging when it all gets too much.

Peace bro
    http://madformuscle.com

ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ErickStevens has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Do a mini-cut for 2-4 weeks then get back on the bulk train!
    "Nutrition for powerlifting: If you are serious about it, you will eat f*cking everything and get strong as $hit." - HamburgerTrain
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=163165741

TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000) TBU720 is just really nice. (+1000)
    That's the really awkward part. I really have no problem in cutting. I always reach a low BF in the end of my cutting period. I am having trouble in bulking because i feel really free to consume everything. And when this happens i can't stop and my BF skyrockets.
    I am having trouble in bulking because i feel really free to consume everything. And when this happens i can't stop
    free to consume everything. And when this happens i can't stop
    can't stop
    can't
    Unless you have become posessed by the evil bulking spirit, you CAN stop. Quit being a pussy and eat at a reasonable surplus.

Registered User iversonmourning's Avatar
    iversonmourning has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iversonmourning has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iversonmourning has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iversonmourning has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iversonmourning has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iversonmourning has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iversonmourning has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iversonmourning has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iversonmourning has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iversonmourning has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iversonmourning has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Just out of curiosity did you track what you ate???? I know, for me at least, it would be very easy for myself to underestimate the number of calories I have eaten if I didn't actually count them. All those little things can add up quick, extra cereal, extra PB, more rice, etc etc.

Originally Posted by WonderPug View Post
    You need to determine how much fat and how much LBM you gained during the bulk (or part of the scheduled bulk) and see how much, if any, real damage you have done.

And you need to set a caloric intake goal during a bulk. Keep to perhaps 500 calories above maintenance.

A bulk should be just as controlled as a cut. Set caloric/macronutrient targets and meet them.
    My target is set at 2950 calories a day. And it was meant to be controlled. The problem was that my cheating meal turned out to be a cheating day or days.

Originally Posted by iversonmourning View Post
    Just out of curiosity did you track what you ate???? I know, for me at least, it would be very easy for myself to underestimate the number of calories I have eaten if I didn't actually count them. All those little things can add up quick, extra cereal, extra PB, more rice, etc etc.
    I always count my exact caloric intake. I measure my meals with a food scale so i know exact how much i eat. I have a problem with cheating. On those days i might have eaten at least 5000 calories over my target. This is what i mean when i say i couldn't controll my self.
    But now i hope to get better. I'm gonna get back on track again.

BRB - Gettin' shredded FemmeFatale28's Avatar
    FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FemmeFatale28 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Yep. I was gonna say.. I cut like a champ but my first attempt at a bulk was like turning a fat kid loose in a candy store.. epic....fail lol. Well maybe not idk. I know my boo hoo story isnt like yours (22lbs) I put on 7lbs in 2 months but Im not sure any of its muscle. Now that I am cutting I guess I will find out. Its like Im good at being strict with my diet when I cut but this bulk business, Im not mentally prepared and it kinda depressed me a little (srs)

Registered User iversonmourning's Avatar
    iversonmourning has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iversonmourning has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iversonmourning has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iversonmourning has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iversonmourning has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iversonmourning has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iversonmourning has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iversonmourning has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iversonmourning has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iversonmourning has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iversonmourning has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I always count my exact caloric intake. I measure my meals with a food scale so i know exact how much i eat. I have a problem with cheating. On those days i might have eaten at least 5000 calories over my target. This is what i mean when i say i couldn't controll my self.
    But now i hope to get better. I'm gonna get back on track again.
    I don't know when and how much you ate for your last cheat meal, but a lot of that could simply be water retention, depending on how much you actually ate. I know when I eat a cheat on a cut or a bulk I am usually 3-4 lbs heavier the next day or so. That doesn't really explain 22 lbs. I am guessing if you are 2 months into a bulk you would have put on maybe 10-15 lbs or so of whatever combo muscle/fat. If you factor a few lbs for your cheat that could potentially put you at around 18 or so, not leaving you too far off from 22. I would just clean up those cheats a little bit, and you should be fine. Sounds like you are doing everything else correctly as far as measuring food, counting cals etc etc.