Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bigdog1705 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

diabetic bodybuilders

Does anybody or is there anybody that can help a diabetic...me. I am starting to think that I am going against the grain here and I am losing. I don't think general answers are going to cut it. If you can help it would be huge thanks
    GO BIG OR GO HOME

USMC Wife & Iron Eater CarolinaGurl's Avatar
    CarolinaGurl is on a distinguished road. (+10) CarolinaGurl is on a distinguished road. (+10) CarolinaGurl is on a distinguished road. (+10) CarolinaGurl is on a distinguished road. (+10) CarolinaGurl is on a distinguished road. (+10) CarolinaGurl is on a distinguished road. (+10) CarolinaGurl is on a distinguished road. (+10) CarolinaGurl is on a distinguished road. (+10) CarolinaGurl is on a distinguished road. (+10) CarolinaGurl is on a distinguished road. (+10) CarolinaGurl is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up Hmmmmm

Originally Posted by bigdog1705 View Post
    Does anybody or is there anybody that can help a diabetic...me. I am starting to think that I am going against the grain here and I am losing. I don't think general answers are going to cut it. If you can help it would be huge thanks
    I would think that being on a body builders diet would be great for you because it mirrors the ADA diet so much in that there are 5-6 small balanced meals in the day rather than three larger carb heavy ones.

I think you should send a PM to Layne Norton here on this site and maybe look for a sports medicine doctor in your area that could guide you as well.

~T

coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) coloBB is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    if you can find any ifo on it, Mr. Colorado is diabetic and looks amazing. good luck
    PL: 400/280/475

thanks for the help
    GO BIG OR GO HOME

BarEdul will become famous soon enough. (+50) BarEdul will become famous soon enough. (+50) BarEdul will become famous soon enough. (+50) BarEdul will become famous soon enough. (+50) BarEdul will become famous soon enough. (+50) BarEdul will become famous soon enough. (+50) BarEdul will become famous soon enough. (+50) BarEdul will become famous soon enough. (+50) BarEdul will become famous soon enough. (+50) BarEdul will become famous soon enough. (+50) BarEdul will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Diabetic,

Stay away from fat burners if you are losing weight. Also some of the supplements flat out say Diabetic or hypoglycemic warnings. You are going to have to re-balance your food caloric intake to off set your new activity level. It can be done through diet not just insulin. Are you insulin dependant? Tell your doctor you are going to do this.
    Barbs

My Journal

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=19455731&posted=1#post19455731

I am insulin dependent, type 1 which means everything effects my bloodsugar, including proteins. The doctor wants to know what I've been doing my last A1C was 5.8 which is better than most regular peoples blood. It is really coming down to diet, fewer carbs means lower blood sugar which mean hypoglycemia...coma. to much means elevated blood sugarwhich means.....coma. I've been dancing a a dangerous line for about three months now but I can't seem to push for this last contest prep without going against the last three months. If I push my workout to hard blood drops, I have to eat a snickers the last 2 and half miles I just ran goes straight into the toilet.
    Don't get me wrong I am not complaining, just concerned, after all I am doing this to better myself.
    GO BIG OR GO HOME

dav7612r has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dav7612r has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dav7612r has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dav7612r has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dav7612r has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dav7612r has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dav7612r has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dav7612r has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) dav7612r has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Try something not so carb rich. I'm a diabetic to. I drink about 4 oz. of OJ to bring my sugar back up insted of the recommended 8oz. For me it's just enough to keep me in a good glucose range and im not taking in those extra calories from the extra juice. You'll have to play with this for a while before you get it right. I'm to the point of where i just eyeball the amount i need based on how low i feel at the time. Of course i check my blood sugar also just to be 100% sure of where i'm at.

Even better yet, test before your workout and gradually consume carbs as you workout. I've also found this very effective in preventing lows during a workout.

shutupntra1n has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bump

I figured I would bump this thread. I am a 27 year old female that has been training for 5 years and just recently diagnosed Type 1 Insulin Depd on Christmas. Anyone on here in this boat with me?

devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by shutupntra1n View Post
    I figured I would bump this thread. I am a 27 year old female that has been training for 5 years and just recently diagnosed Type 1 Insulin Depd on Christmas. Anyone on here in this boat with me?
    Im a T1D as well.
    There is a lot of myths and crap out there that can easily confuse you. The main thing is getting your insulin needs down. If your using a Insulin Pump that means getting your bolus and basal rates down.
    If its well controlled it shouldn't hold you back at all, hasn't held me back.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=111082701

"Whether you believe you can, or believe you can't, You're right."

Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000) Frankdaddy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by bigdog1705 View Post
    I am insulin dependent, type 1 which means everything effects my bloodsugar, including proteins. The doctor wants to know what I've been doing my last A1C was 5.8 which is better than most regular peoples blood. It is really coming down to diet, fewer carbs means lower blood sugar which mean hypoglycemia...coma. to much means elevated blood sugarwhich means.....coma. I've been dancing a a dangerous line for about three months now but I can't seem to push for this last contest prep without going against the last three months. If I push my workout to hard blood drops, I have to eat a snickers the last 2 and half miles I just ran goes straight into the toilet.
    Don't get me wrong I am not complaining, just concerned, after all I am doing this to better myself.
    Add the snickers to your daily macros and youll be fine honestly. Puirposely have a snickers each day around the normal times your sugar drops. In all honesty a coach once told it matters more what your macros are compared to what you eat
    Team Norton

The Strength Guys

It's time to bring V2.0

pumpbber has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpbber has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpbber has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpbber has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpbber has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpbber has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpbber has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpbber has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpbber has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpbber has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pumpbber has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey bigdog1705,

I'm a diabetic bodybuilder too - so I know how frustrating it can be. Congrats though for going ahead and getting ready for a bodybuilding competition. I'm not there yet...

I'm not quite certain of what your specific diabetes and bodybuilding problems are. Can you post a list of questions and or problems and I'll see if I can help.

Like someone else on this forum said, though, be aware that there's alot of crap out there and many people who don't have diabetes and thus don't know anything about it will be all to keen to give you crap advise.

Good luck bro - and keep us posted on the competition preparation and results!
    My son thinks I'm a super hero. I'd better start looking like one...

Lando33 is a name known to all. (+5000) Lando33 is a name known to all. (+5000) Lando33 is a name known to all. (+5000) Lando33 is a name known to all. (+5000) Lando33 is a name known to all. (+5000) Lando33 is a name known to all. (+5000) Lando33 is a name known to all. (+5000) Lando33 is a name known to all. (+5000) Lando33 is a name known to all. (+5000) Lando33 is a name known to all. (+5000) Lando33 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you are a diabetic, there are several bodybuilding-type diets out there that are all about insulin control.

Two jump to mind (yes, I work for Scivation and yes I am partial) are the CHA Diet and The Cut Diet. Both of which are available for free.

www.scivationbooks.com
    Rob "The Reason" Moran
    Sales Account Representative
    Scivation, Inc
    WNBF Professional Natural Bodybuilder

Become a Fan of Scivation: http://www.********.com/pages/SciVation/159679338681

www.scivation.com
    www.primaforce.com

Questions? E-mail me at rob@scivation.com

Lee Gaspari has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I Have Type Ii Db

I have had Type II Diabetes for about 2 years now and have it in check. Been competing since 1980. Just these past few months I have had some major foot pain - maybe due to the Diabetes, I don't know. I did have Plantar Faciitis last year and was "cured" thru as series of Cortisone shots. It may be coming back, but the pain is more of a burning sensation and sometimes bone pain. I am diagnosing it as arthritis. I think all the toe raises I have done have finally caught up with me. Anyway, I am heading to the Foot Doctor tomorrow.
    In closing, let me say that a clean bodybuilding diet is the answer for a diabetic. My insulin usage is a lot lower when I am eating 'Clean'.

devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) devo09 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Lee Gaspari View Post
    I have had Type II Diabetes for about 2 years now and have it in check. Been competing since 1980. Just these past few months I have had some major foot pain - maybe due to the Diabetes, I don't know. I did have Plantar Faciitis last year and was "cured" thru as series of Cortisone shots. It may be coming back, but the pain is more of a burning sensation and sometimes bone pain. I am diagnosing it as arthritis. I think all the toe raises I have done have finally caught up with me. Anyway, I am heading to the Foot Doctor tomorrow.
    In closing, let me say that a clean bodybuilding diet is the answer for a diabetic. My insulin usage is a lot lower when I am eating 'Clean'.
    If your having pain in your extremities then you really need to get your Blood sugar levels under control......
    And as a Type 2 diabetic is should be ALOT easier than a T1D
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=111082701

"Whether you believe you can, or believe you can't, You're right."

73JM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Hopefully another diabetic can help.

I have been a diabetic for 25 years and have been on an insulin pump for 5 years. I have been working out for years. I have always enjoyed it. I powerlifted back in college. I have made real progress in the last few years with a variety of new lifting routines, spinning and interval training. I workout intensely and am very focused. I follow a clean low calorie (1500-1700/day) low carb diet. I weigh about 165 and have 13% bodyfat.

My goal is to really get over the top and get my bodyfat down under 10% and look good. I feel liek I am 755 of the way there, btu I cannot budge the last 255. I have stepped it up, being even more intense on diet and trainign, but still am not improving. Overall I am healthy, but my doctor is not happy with my AIC (8.8) and he has modified my pump bolus. I am now taking more insulin each day. The result is that in the past month with the change my weight has shot up 6 pounds and my body fat is incresing too. I feel that all of my hard work is being thrown out the window.

Will my diabetic body just prohibit me? How can I get to 8% bodyfat naturally? I don't care for supplemetns much past whey. I want to do it on my own.

There are a lot worse problems in the world than mine, but I very frustrated and really want to figure out an answer.

javycarb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i am 21 and also a diabetic, stick to low carb diets to reduce your bodyfat the problem starts when bulking because you got to raise your carbs

bbaker143 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bbaker143 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bbaker143 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bbaker143 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bbaker143 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bbaker143 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bbaker143 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bbaker143 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bbaker143 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bbaker143 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) bbaker143 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I am also a type 1 insulin dpd and Ive noticed eating about 8 small meals a day keeps my blood sugars in line even after my run and workout. Also I eat right before my run and immediately after my workout and it helps my blood sugar from dropping
    5"10
    age 17
    Bench 255
    Squat 305
    Deadlift 350

devistation15 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by coloBB View Post
    if you can find any ifo on it, Mr. Colorado is diabetic and looks amazing. good luck
    how do you diet for competions I'm 283 how much protien how many carbs if any?

Felidae65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wink Diabetes II

What the diabetic educators fail to tell you is using insulin will add more fat. You will actually grow new fat cells. On the bright side these fats cells will work more efficently for you.
    You will feel better, utilize your food intake & supplements, be healthier.
    The high blood glucose is slowly & silently seriously hurting you.
    But they are still more fat cells and that alone is frustrating. Most type II will gain 10-15
    lbs just by adding insulin. You actually have to eat even cleaner and add more fruit to avoid
    lows but beware of any fats as they will stick to you.

OCO has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by 73JM View Post
    I have been a diabetic for 25 years and have been on an insulin pump for 5 years. I have been working out for years. I have always enjoyed it. I powerlifted back in college. I have made real progress in the last few years with a variety of new lifting routines, spinning and interval training. I workout intensely and am very focused. I follow a clean low calorie (1500-1700/day) low carb diet. I weigh about 165 and have 13% bodyfat.

My goal is to really get over the top and get my bodyfat down under 10% and look good. I feel liek I am 755 of the way there, btu I cannot budge the last 255. I have stepped it up, being even more intense on diet and trainign, but still am not improving. Overall I am healthy, but my doctor is not happy with my AIC (8.8) and he has modified my pump bolus. I am now taking more insulin each day. The result is that in the past month with the change my weight has shot up 6 pounds and my body fat is incresing too. I feel that all of my hard work is being thrown out the window.

Will my diabetic body just prohibit me? How can I get to 8% bodyfat naturally? I don't care for supplemetns much past whey. I want to do it on my own.

There are a lot worse problems in the world than mine, but I very frustrated and really want to figure out an answer.
    Im a type 1 too, my AIC was 8.1 last time and i know where you are coming from, i have gained about 10 lbs of fat since my aic has gone down from 10.2. gaining fat in this case shows improvement of blood sugar control. As you probably know since our bodies dont produce insulin it will replace the insulin with fat and that why we lost so much weight before getting diagnosed (at least 4 me). keep up the good blood sugars, try eating a low carb diet with lean meat. try eating very lean meat. I eat deer because my family loves to hunt, deer has very little fat so i dont worry about my fat intake very much. GOOD LUCK and keep up with the good blood sugar.

throw4ever is on a distinguished road. (+10) throw4ever is on a distinguished road. (+10) throw4ever is on a distinguished road. (+10) throw4ever is on a distinguished road. (+10) throw4ever is on a distinguished road. (+10) throw4ever is on a distinguished road. (+10) throw4ever is on a distinguished road. (+10) throw4ever is on a distinguished road. (+10) throw4ever is on a distinguished road. (+10) throw4ever is on a distinguished road. (+10) throw4ever is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by devistation15 View Post
    how do you diet for competions I'm 283 how much protien how many carbs if any?

No one has a magic formula to give you those numbers without knowing a little bit about you and your current diet

and this is for everyone....I have been a type 1 for 17 years and you NEEEEED carbs......If you are on a very low carb diet for a long period you will kill your metabolism and your fat loss will suffer and it will take forever after your show for your body to be able to process carbs again
    Working to get my Natural Pro Card!!

TheSecondName will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSecondName will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSecondName will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSecondName will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSecondName will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSecondName will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSecondName will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSecondName will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSecondName will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSecondName will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheSecondName will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    For years, I have several symptoms of diabetic type 1: lack of energy during the day, leghatary, poor concentration.... no energy in the evening and morning either.
    Changed my diet several times: 6 meals, 3 meals, 2 meals, 8 meals. Low carbs, moderate carbs, lots of carbs. Proteins are always high (1.5g/lb). good fats, vitamins....
    Took some rest from my workouts, I thought overtraining, but it had'nt helped. Also went to bed earlier, tried to get 9 hours of sleep for weeks, but still not too much difference....
    Years ago, blood was checked and everything looks fine.
    Maybe it's time to check my blood again.... try to visit my doctor within one week.

gugehuai has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gugehuai has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gugehuai has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gugehuai has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gugehuai has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gugehuai has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gugehuai has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gugehuai has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gugehuai has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gugehuai has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gugehuai has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    which is on the banned substance list (

gugehuai has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gugehuai has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gugehuai has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gugehuai has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gugehuai has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gugehuai has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gugehuai has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gugehuai has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gugehuai has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gugehuai has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) gugehuai has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by gugehuai View Post
    which is on the banned substance list (
    I have several symptoms of diabetic type 1:

I have several symptoms of diabetic type 1:

I think you should send a PM to Layne Norton here on this site and maybe look for a sports medicine doctor in your area that could guide you as well.

Bsoanes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Im type1 diabetic insulin dpnt

I was wondering if using methyl arimatest would harm my diabetes a friends gave me a cycle and idk the effects on glucose. Any input would be a great help

Shizwack has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am a very healthy T1D and have been hitting the gym 6 days a week, nearly 2 hours a day for almost a year now. I have only recently lowered my cardio for I have found it proved difficult to gain mass (which is what I am going for) while I did it. I'm a bit of an extremist when it comes to anything and everything about my health. My HBA1C's have been perfect my entire life. I guess I will have to give you a bit of an example of one of my workouts to understand where I am at... Keep in mind, I have almost no fat on my body and am going for mass. 6'0, 197 lbs. In the last few weeks I have changed my insulin injections (Novorapid and Levemir) and also my entire strength routine... 10x10's, supersets - I TRY to get 40 sets in per session. My days are Chest + Back (2x/week), Bi's + Tri's (2x/week), Shoulders (1x/week) - I've laid off my legs for a bit and do a fast uphill run everyday for 20 mins... 7.5-8.0% Grade @ 6.0-7.0mph. I also snowboard a lot. My legs have always been strong.

So back to the insulin... Levemir is once a day at night, before bed (10:30pm-ish), Novorapid is sliding (although I have my diet and exercise down to a "T" so it doesn't really need to slide anymore). Most of my carbs are in the morning and lunch time, thus most of my insulin is in the morning and lunch time. Right before I eat lunch (oatmeal everyday) I take one big dose (10-12 units) of Novorapid... Gym starts at 4:30, goes until 6:30. The lunch-injection (12:30ish) allows me to top up with a protein bar of sorts about an hour before the gym (I need fuel and sometimes even more carbs to get me through a workout) to get my blood sugar to a good level for a workout. In an anabolic sense, I can usually get it so I need 2 more units when I get off the treadmill after 20 minutes BEFORE strength training. With lots of protein in my system already, along with the exercise, along with the insulin, along with a couple carbs, I am coming to realize this is proving effective in an anabolic sense... My gains in the last few weeks have been FAST and BIG.

So the weights finish close to 6:30, I am at the end of my workout. Straight to the locker room for a big injection of 10-12units and my bloodsugar is USUALLY sitting between 8.0-12.0. Immediately after the injection, I consume a big mass AND protein shake, consisting of about 600 calories.... That's half a serving of mass (approx 500 cals) and a serving of whey (approx 100 cals)... This lets my body max the recovery, insulin and protein absorption. Glycogen stores are back up and I drive home to make myself a real supper which I will eat around 40 mins later.

Again, I want to point out... I have perfect "like clockwork" blood sugar nearly every minute of the day. When it's not absolutely perfect it is because I am playing it safe while training... This all works for me and may not necessarily work for you other Diabetics...

I'd appreciate any feedback you may have. Variations? Recommendations? Let me know...

Abbas K. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Abbas K. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Abbas K. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Abbas K. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Abbas K. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Abbas K. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Abbas K. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Abbas K. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Abbas K. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Abbas K. will become famous soon enough. (+50) Abbas K. will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Guys, Just to let you all know I A1C was at 7.2 and now under control. I had to do things different while dieting this last time around Plus this time use the "I" to control my sugar. I see guys on here that need help with this so I know what you are going through. If anyone needs advise on this subject please feel free to contact me. I have helped many others with their diabetes while just going through their off season or while contest prep.
    Abbas Khatami

www.********.com/abbaskhatami
    www.youtube.com/abbaskhatami
    www.twitter.com/abbas_khatami
    abbaskhatami@aol.com

Sjstephen54 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have type 1 diabetes. I work full time in construction so I don't really use my immediate insulin during the day. My bloodsugar pretty much maintains itself from working all day. I usually have a good breakfast, protein shakes around 10 and 4 o'clock, a good lunch the. I lift at the gym around 7. The past 8 months I haven gained any weight or increased the weight for any workouts. Everyday I feel exhausted all day long. What I pretty muc want to do is gain muscle mass staying somewhat lean, and not be so exhausted everyday after having 8-9 hours of sleep. If someone has any advice or can help me out that would be great. Thanks