Closed Thread
    Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick1971 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Question Exercises for pigeon toe?

My 12 year old son has been pigeon-toed for some time, and while what research I've done has really led to the following solutions, I figure I might as well as on a site like this for specific exercises that might help. Typically, recommendations range from some stretching exercises, to running in the sand, hiking, and in some cases, putting the shoes on the wrong feet. I'm really not sure what to believe.

I am thinking of starting to put my son on the path to weight training (at his request, as well) but I am going to focus on bodyweight exercises for now, and maybe some light weight training for some of the more basic exercises, to work on form more than anything.

Has anyone here had to deal with this issue before, either with themselves, or for family or friends, and if so, what worked for you or them? I would think something like calf raises and bodyweight squats, but I wanted to hear other opinions.

(I've already decided to take him to see a doctor about this, to get some medical opinion, but I know many doctors tend to frown on weight training in many cases, hence my question's focus on that here - to be clear)

Thank you in advance!
    --- Nick ---

Real World Boxing Advice djartek's Avatar
    djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Its difficult to say what to do because there could be many causes of being pigeon toed, muscular imbalance or weakness, ligament and tendon imbalances, structural defects anywhere from the lower spine and down. I would check with the doctor first to make sure it isn't structural defect in bones, ligaments, and or tendons.
    Most likely if it isn't serious I would suggest stretching, mobilizing and activating his muscles through a series of drills. I would steer away from weights till he masters his body weight and corrects his pigeon toe issue.

I used to have inward pigeon toes when I was growing up and it slowly but surely went away-I still have issues with tight glutes and a super tight left IT Band but this could be do to my job now, do a lot of driving.
    Youtube.com/PalacBoxing
    I'll answer your boxing and combat questions. Just PM me
    "Patience, persistence, determination, and an unstoppable drive to be better than yesterday."

Squats do a body good! musicianman's Avatar
    musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000) musicianman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you can teach your son how to squat properly - with a barbell or not - you more than likely will strengthen the musculature causing his problem to the point where it will go away.

Of course, I am no doctor and few people on this site are. You may have better luck posting in the "injury recovery and prevention" subsection of the exercise forum.

Hope that helped.
    Training, philosophy, nutrition and biomedical discussion (2.0): http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146797403

Video log:
    www.YouTube.com/Frootlups

MattScarSr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Put him in track or a running program, most people I've met that is pigeon toed can run fast and compete in track or long distance running.

jimmy605 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimmy605 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by djartek View Post
    Its difficult to say what to do because there could be many causes of being pigeon toed, muscular imbalance or weakness, ligament and tendon imbalances, structural defects anywhere from the lower spine and down. I would check with the doctor first to make sure it isn't structural defect in bones, ligaments, and or tendons.
    Most likely if it isn't serious I would suggest stretching, mobilizing and activating his muscles through a series of drills. I would steer away from weights till he masters his body weight and corrects his pigeon toe issue.

I used to have inward pigeon toes when I was growing up and it slowly but surely went away-I still have issues with tight glutes and a super tight left IT Band but this could be do to my job now, do a lot of driving.
    IT band, foam roller is awesome... bang for your buck i say... yer probably get tight hip flexors too hey?

yer like he said find out whats going on mechanically/physiologically first.... could be just weak/short muscles hopefully...

gooneybird1234 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I am not a professional but I have an 8 year son that is pigeon toed. You definitely want to see someone about it. I have seen a chiropractor first and we are trying some exercises first. It's basically resistance training exercises to help turn the hip outwards and strengthen the glutes, which could be pulling the foot inward. I know you don't want to hear this but weight training at 12 is not yet recommended unless a physiotherapist, chiropractor or massage therapist is recommending it and guides him through it. His bones have not fully grown and he could cause more problems and muscle imbalances as he grows. Putting extra weight on his hips and knees with weight lifting could cause more or other challenges down the road. He will be just hitting puberty so he could grow a lot in the next 18-24 months. I would really see one of the above on top of a pediatrician or GP that knows your son as not all regular doctors support alternative doctors like chiropractors, however, chiropractors can greatly help with non-invasive treatment whereas a GP, pediatrician or podiatrist may suggest more invasive treatments that are not necessary. Orthotics will generally not be beneficial in something like this either.

Although we have just started, I will say, that after one treatment with the chiropractor focusing on adjusting his hip, it is not as pronounced. Will it last with just one treatment, perhaps not, which is why we will continue the exercises he suggested and see him again for another adjustment.

Hope that helps a little.