jessiewald80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jessiewald80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jessiewald80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jessiewald80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jessiewald80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jessiewald80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jessiewald80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jessiewald80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jessiewald80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jessiewald80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jessiewald80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Rippetoes rows vs cleans

Hey all.

I have a few quick Starting Strength questions.

I started starting strength on monday, and am still pretty sore today, but will give squats a go with the same weight and see how it goes. I feel like adding weight is not a possibility with the soreness. What would you think of using the same, or slightly less weight on Wednesday and increasing on Friday?

Also, I have read that the clean shouldn't necessarily replace the row in a routine, so I was thinking, has anyone cycled the clean and row throughout the week or weekly, or is this not recommended?

Thanks a lot.

rpdm will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpdm will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpdm will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpdm will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpdm will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpdm will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpdm will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpdm will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpdm will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpdm will become famous soon enough. (+50) rpdm will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    > I feel like adding weight is not a possibility with the soreness.
    If it's soreness and not outright pain, lifting will actually help.

> What would you think of using the same, or slightly less weight on Wednesday and increasing on Friday?
    Give adding weight an honest try first. Provided you're not injured, you should only work the same or less weight when you stall out. Anything else is just an excuse.

> has anyone cycled the clean and row throughout the week or weekly
    I'd ask why you're changing the program. Unless you have a damn good reason, it's best to do it as written for a while.

justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) justroberson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    So you want to start a program by not doing it correctly? Everybody is sore the first few times they squat. You got all your reps right? Then up the f'in weight. Thats the whole point of SS.

There are no rows in starting strength. Do the program as is, with cleans, for awhile. If you still feel like your back is not getting enough work, add chin-ups or pull-ups after the cleans, not rows.
    "I'm just a lat guy, you know? I've got these amazing lats, and I'm just living in an ab guy's world." -Workaholics

Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You messed the program up already by starting too high on your initial lifts.
    Fierce 5 novice routine: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

All Pros beginner routine: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169172473

Calculating calories and macros: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173439001

Multivitamin Creatine Monohydrate
    Fish Oil Whey

Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Engineer_Guy is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by jessiewald80 View Post
    Hey all.

I have a few quick Starting Strength questions.

I started starting strength on monday, and am still pretty sore today, but will give squats a go with the same weight and see how it goes. I feel like adding weight is not a possibility with the soreness. What would you think of using the same, or slightly less weight on Wednesday and increasing on Friday?

Also, I have read that the clean shouldn't necessarily replace the row in a routine, so I was thinking, has anyone cycled the clean and row throughout the week or weekly, or is this not recommended?

Thanks a lot.
    The soreness from squatting should mostly go away in time. You'll still get slightly sore but not nearly as bad as the first few times. Continue adding weight.

Most people on these forums are going to criticize you for even mentioning changing the program. To be honest if you follow the SS model you're going to see progress. The SS model is doing 3-4 full body exercises three times a week and increasing the weight on those lifts which each successful workout.

Replacing the cleans with rows isn't going to stop you from progressing. If you're training for a sport I would say do the power cleans however most of us are not. You could also add rows as accessory work and do the power cleans as intended.

jessiewald80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jessiewald80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jessiewald80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jessiewald80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jessiewald80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jessiewald80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jessiewald80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jessiewald80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jessiewald80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jessiewald80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jessiewald80 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey.

Well I just did the workout. I did the squats, and added 10 lbs!! The soreness wasn't a bother when working out which is weird.

About adding rows as accessory work, yeah thats what I meant. I dont want to get rid of cleans, but do them both. My question was when to add them throughout the week.

Thanks for the replies.

grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) grumble1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You can do either rows or cleans, it doesn't really matter that much. Use either one to get big and strong.
    GOMAD!

nkh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nkh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nkh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nkh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nkh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nkh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nkh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nkh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nkh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nkh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nkh has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by grumble1 View Post
    You can do either rows or cleans, it doesn't really matter that much. Use either one to get big and strong.
    It matters to Mark Rippetoe, who wrote the book and designed the program.

Do the power cleans.
    Mixing creatine mono in orange juice since 1999.

200 lbs surpassed after 29 years - Dec. 23, 2009

on this forum, squats cured cancer -manofhorror555

Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Slow-N-Steady is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Engineer_Guy View Post
    The soreness from squatting should mostly go away in time. You'll still get slightly sore but not nearly as bad as the first few times. Continue adding weight.

Most people on these forums are going to criticize you for even mentioning changing the program. To be honest if you follow the SS model you're going to see progress. The SS model is doing 3-4 full body exercises three times a week and increasing the weight on those lifts which each successful workout.

Replacing the cleans with rows isn't going to stop you from progressing. If you're training for a sport I would say do the power cleans however most of us are not. You could also add rows as accessory work and do the power cleans as intended.
    Originally Posted by grumble1 View Post
    Agreed, reps...

Originally Posted by nkh View Post
    It matters to Mark Rippetoe, who wrote the book and designed the program.

Do the power cleans.
    lol
    My Training Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120696121

GoJackets89 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoJackets89 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoJackets89 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoJackets89 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoJackets89 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoJackets89 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoJackets89 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoJackets89 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoJackets89 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoJackets89 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GoJackets89 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    although rows aren't in the program, if you progress them the same as the other lifts it should be fine, but don't go calling it SS because you will get flamed for it as you have seen by a few of these posts.