Registered User MarksandSpencer's Avatar
    MarksandSpencer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarksandSpencer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarksandSpencer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

MarkandSpencer's Workout Log

So I've been looking at this website for a while now, but I hadn't registered until this very day. I guess I should start by introducing myself. My names Matt and I live in London. I'm 14 and am hoping to gain muscle. Although I'm around 114 pounds now it wasn't always so. Since about 5 I had been very fat and didn't really consider it. I only decided in February last year to shed the pounds and feel confident about myself. 9 months later and I feel much more athletic and full of energy.

Although I've dropped the weight I am too skinny now. The fact that I can see most of my bones and overlap my wrists worries me, so I want to put on weight, but in muscle. I know that it will probably take a lot of dedication and effort but I am willing to put that in to this as I know the benefits will be great. As far as training goes I can only go to the gym a maximum of three days a week due to a "teen gym" membership that is the only option avaliable to me. The sessions are also only a maximum of an hour from 5-6 so I have to use that time wisely. Luckily I get unlimited swimming which I love doing and I can always run there and back so cardio isn't an issue. At home I have access to a set of dumbbells, a swiss ball, medicene ball and a bench on a decline. For christmas I am hoping to get a decent bench, barbells, new dumbbells and whey powder. I have some more money I can spend on equipment so please tell me if you have ideas!

One big area that I'm not too sure about is nutrition. I understand healthy foods and the like but am not quite sure about daily calories. I undertake at the very least an hour of excersice a day, except thursdays. I'm guessing around 3000 calories is required to build muscle but I'm not entirely sure.

Well I think that sums just about everything up, hopefully by tomorrow I will have some pictures up of myself at the moment and my nutrition and exercice regime. If you can give me any advice on how to write the log, work out or eat I would be grateful.

Registered User LightWeightBulk's Avatar
    LightWeightBulk is on a distinguished road. (+10) LightWeightBulk is on a distinguished road. (+10) LightWeightBulk is on a distinguished road. (+10) LightWeightBulk is on a distinguished road. (+10) LightWeightBulk is on a distinguished road. (+10) LightWeightBulk is on a distinguished road. (+10) LightWeightBulk is on a distinguished road. (+10) LightWeightBulk is on a distinguished road. (+10) LightWeightBulk is on a distinguished road. (+10) LightWeightBulk is on a distinguished road. (+10) LightWeightBulk is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by MarksandSpencer View Post
    So I've been looking at this website for a while now, but I hadn't registered until this very day. I guess I should start by introducing myself. My names Matt and I live in London. I'm 14 and am hoping to gain muscle. Although I'm around 114 pounds now it wasn't always so. Since about 5 I had been very fat and didn't really consider it. I only decided in February last year to shed the pounds and feel confident about myself. 9 months later and I feel much more athletic and full of energy.

Although I've dropped the weight I am too skinny now. The fact that I can see most of my bones and overlap my wrists worries me, so I want to put on weight, but in muscle. I know that it will probably take a lot of dedication and effort but I am willing to put that in to this as I know the benefits will be great. As far as training goes I can only go to the gym a maximum of three days a week due to a "teen gym" membership that is the only option avaliable to me. The sessions are also only a maximum of an hour from 5-6 so I have to use that time wisely. Luckily I get unlimited swimming which I love doing and I can always run there and back so cardio isn't an issue. At home I have access to a set of dumbbells, a swiss ball, medicene ball and a bench on a decline. For christmas I am hoping to get a decent bench, barbells, new dumbbells and whey powder. I have some more money I can spend on equipment so please tell me if you have ideas!

One big area that I'm not too sure about is nutrition. I understand healthy foods and the like but am not quite sure about daily calories. I undertake at the very least an hour of excersice a day, except thursdays. I'm guessing around 3000 calories is required to build muscle but I'm not entirely sure.

Well I think that sums just about everything up, hopefully by tomorrow I will have some pictures up of myself at the moment and my nutrition and exercice regime. If you can give me any advice on how to write the log, work out or eat I would be grateful.
    Good luck bro! Do you have a split yet or a program you plan on doing?

MarksandSpencer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarksandSpencer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarksandSpencer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by LightWeightBulk View Post
    Good luck bro! Do you have a split yet or a program you plan on doing?
    At the moment I'm thinking about using a split.
    Monday - Chest/Triceps
    Tuesday - Biceps/Legs
    Wednesday - Chest/Triceps
    Thursday - Rest
    Friday - Abs/Legs
    Saturday - Biceps/Triceps
    Sunday - Abs/Legs

Have no school today thanks to the snow, gives me a chance to get in some decent revision before my mock tests next week. Started off with a session about 1:30 that lasted for half an hour. I also went to the gym today and had a good high intensity session

Dumbell Chest Press - (3kg dumbbells on each hand/5 sets/12 reps)
    Dumbell Flyes (3/5/12)
    Dumbell Pull Downs (3/5/12)
    Upright Row (3/5/12)
    Triceps Pushdown (3/1/10)
    Triceps Pushdown (1.5/2/10)
    Press Ups (To Failure)

Medicine Ball Extension (4/3/12)
    Straight Arm Medicine Ball Raise (4//3/10)
    Medicine Ball Press Ups (4/3/10)
    Machine Chest Press (50 pounds/5 sets/12 reps)
    (60 pounds/3 sets/12 reps)
    (70 pounds/1 set/ 12 reps)
    (100 pounds/1 rep max)
    Machine Shoulder Press (30 pounds/6 sets/12 reps)
    Machine Seated Rows (20 pounds/5 sets/8 reps)

Daily Calories - 3000kcal 204g protein 422g carbohydrate 65 fat

What do you think? Am I using enough exercises for chest and triceps?
    Last edited by MarksandSpencer; 12-01-2010 at 11:04 AM.

Taking a rest day today, I also took some pictures to of myself to chart my progress. I can't yet directly load them so instead I added them as attachments.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by MarksandSpencer; 12-02-2010 at 09:57 AM.

K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    subsubsubsubsubsubsub for a fellow 14'er

hope you sub to mine as well lol, we'll keep track of each other.. but no biggie if u dont wanna

btw workout your back..
    My workout log:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155733223&p=1108106083#post1108106083
    Youtube V-Log :http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb5m_m_3kMatAVfGjrdKYMw/videos

Originally Posted by K-Krakrz View Post
    subsubsubsubsubsubsub for a fellow 14'er

hope you sub to mine as well lol, we'll keep track of each other.. but no biggie if u dont wanna

btw workout your back..
    Will do, can you recommend any good excercises for the back as I'm not too sure of any myself lol. I subscribed to your log as well

Had a good day of chilling today. Hoping to go out shopping tomorrow and pick up some new snacks, any recommendations?

Calories - 3000
    Protein - 212g
    Carbohydrates - 364g
    Fat - 77g

hockey1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hockey1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hockey1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hockey1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hockey1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hockey1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hockey1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hockey1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hockey1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hockey1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hockey1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    in
    subbed and already repped you from when you posted in my log.
    BTW, if you want your log to get more exposure you can put the link in your signature.

Good luck!
    I always rep back
    "The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack in will." -Vince Lombardi
    Started two years ago at 120 lbs, 210lbs by April -no excuses

Originally Posted by hockey1234 View Post
    in
    subbed and already repped you from when you posted in my log.
    BTW, if you want your log to get more exposure you can put the link in your signature.

Good luck!
    Thanks, just added it this morning.
    View my log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129557123

Picked up some protein bars today, looked pretty good, and taste great! They're called protopure and come in deluxe chocolate, chocolate peanut and chewy chocolate chip.

Calories -294
    Protein - 32.27g
    Carbohydrates - 26.01g
    of which sugars - 3.86g
    Fat - 6.75g
    Fibre - 3.18g

HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10) HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10) HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10) HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10) HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10) HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10) HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10) HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10) HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10) HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10) HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey man, you sub'd to my log so I decided to sub to yours.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by HulkyNoob; 12-03-2010 at 09:28 AM.
    Follow my log at: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129192371

Wow, today was a pretty intense workout session, abs and legs. I think I'll call part one...

ABBAGEDDON!

My aim in this workout was to really fatigue my core so by the time I got to the plank I was struggling to get a good time.

Weighted Crunches - 4 sets of 8 reps. Used 4kg behind my head.

Weighted Bicycles - 4 sets of 8 reps. Used 4kg behind my head.

Decline Bench Sit Ups - On these I would lower myself to 90 degrees and then go back to the top. 1 set of 24 reps.

Oblique Crunches - 2 sets of 10 reps on each side.

Plank - To failure. This was intense, my abs were tired from the excercises and I went into this straight after the sit ups. after 1 minute 15 seconds I stopped. Hopefully this will improve each week.

And now for my leg workout...

Wheels of Fortune

Weighted Dumbell Lunges - 4 sets of 8 reps on each side. All of the excercises in the legs section use 5kg dumbbells apart from the explosive squats and ski squat.

Weighted Squates - 4 sets of 10 reps.

Ski Squat - 2 sets of 45 seconds.

Good Mornings - 3 sets of 8 reps. By the end of this exercise the back of my leg was shaking badly.

Lying Dumbell Curls - 3 sets of 8 reps with a 5kg dumbell.

Explosive Medicene Ball Squats - 4 sets of 8 reps. The medicene ball was 6kg in weight.

At the end of these two workouts I walked down the stairs in the most ridiculous way! Food wise today I'm pretty much the same.

Calories - 3110
    Protein - 200g
    Carbs - 403g
    Fat - 73g

hockey1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hockey1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hockey1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hockey1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hockey1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hockey1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hockey1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hockey1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hockey1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hockey1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hockey1234 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Lots of volume! Keep it up!
    btw how tall are you?
    I always rep back
    "The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack in will." -Vince Lombardi

Lots of volume! Keep it up!
    btw how tall are you?
    5ft 7.

HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10) HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10) HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10) HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10) HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10) HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10) HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10) HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10) HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10) HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10) HulkyNoob is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Nice workout!

I was wondering, don't you think your volume is a bit high for a beginner?
    I mean the most exercises I do in my workout are 4, but I do a whole body workout each time.
    Follow my log at: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129192371

K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50) K-Krakrz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by MarksandSpencer View Post
    Will do, can you recommend any good excercises for the back as I'm not too sure of any myself lol. I subscribed to your log as well
    I gotta say bro, the diet is spot on. Do you have access to a good gym/weights tho? You cant really build muscle if you overload it with heavier weight/reps, youll just gain fat by eating.

For the back, try pullups/chinups if you can. Barbell/Dumbell/Cable/T-bar rows also work really well.
    My workout log:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155733223&p=1108106083#post1108106083
    Youtube V-Log :http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb5m_m_3kMatAVfGjrdKYMw/videos

Originally Posted by HulkyNoob View Post
    Nice workout!

I was wondering, don't you think your volume is a bit high for a beginner?
    I mean the most exercises I do in my workout are 4, but I do a whole body workout each time.
    I'll tone it down for next time, I'm probably just over enthusiastic. I did lift weights for a month previously, but not with much structure. I'm fairly good at bodyweight exercises though.

Originally Posted by K-Krakrz View Post
    I gotta say bro, the diet is spot on. Do you have access to a good gym/weights tho? You cant really build muscle if you overload it with heavier weight/reps, youll just gain fat by eating.

For the back, try pullups/chinups if you can. Barbell/Dumbell/Cable/T-bar rows also work really well.
    So do you mean low reps with a high weight and only a few sets?

Also my gym is annoying, I'm not allowed to use free weights, only cardio, cable and weight machines. At home I have dumbbells, a gym ball, a medicine ball and a permanently declined bench. At christmas I'm getting a good bench, barbells and a pull up bar. For now however, my staircase works great for pull ups
    Last edited by MarksandSpencer; 12-04-2010 at 07:44 AM.

Great workout today, toned down the amount of excercises.

Biceps:
    Forced Negative Bicep Curls - 3 sets 8 reps on each arm with 7kg dumbbells.
    Hammer Curls - 3 sets of 6 reps with 5kg dumbbells.
    Bicep Curls - 3 sets of 8 reps with 5kg dumbbells.

Triceps:
    Bench Dips - 4 sets of 6 reps with 5kg dumbbells.
    Medicine Ball Straight Arm Raise - 3 sets of 6 reps with a 6kg medicine ball.
    Tricep Rows - 3 sets of 6 reps with 5kg dumbbells.

Nutrition today was good, although I cashed in on my fortnightly cheat meal with a chicken shish kebab from the fish and chips shop.

Calories - 3000
    Protein - 249g
    Carbs - 337g
    Fats - 57g

pumpitup97 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pumpitup97 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pumpitup97 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pumpitup97 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pumpitup97 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pumpitup97 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pumpitup97 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pumpitup97 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pumpitup97 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Sounds like a good workout... way to go! I bet the shishkabob didn't do much damage, porobably pretty healthy actually! Depending on what it was prepared with! But hey, we all desere a little trerat sometimes Good luck!!

Based on advice I'm going to update my routine. It's still a 6 day split but I added in back workouts and switched the order around a little bit.

Monday - Chest and Triceps with Abs
    Tuesday - Back and Biceps
    Wednesday - Legs and Shoulders
    Thursday - Rest Day
    Friday - Chest and Triceps
    Saturday - Back and Biceps with Abs
    Sunday - Legs and Shoulders

Workout today was the last of my old routine

Legs
    Dumbbell Calf Jumps - 3 sets 10 reps 7kg dumbbells
    Good Mornings - 3 sets 8 reps 7kg dumbbells
    Lunges - 3 sets 8 reps per leg 7kg dumbbells
    Squats - 3 sets of 10 reps 7kg dumbbells

Abs
    Weighted Bicycles -3 sets 10 reps with a 4kg plate
    Pulse Up - 3 sets 10 reps
    Oblique V-Up - 3 sets 12 reps per side
    Weighted Crunches - 5 sets 10 reps with a 4kg weight
    Plank - 75 seconds

Nutrition today was as normal, but I think I was lacking a bit on protein. Also, I don't consume much, made 30g a day, but is sugar bad for adding fat?

Calories - 3144
    Protein - 197g
    Carbs - 437g
    Fat - 74g

Triceps and Chest today, rested my abs as I only did them yesterday.

Chest
    Dumbbell Flyes - 3 sets of 10 reps with 5kg dumbbells
    Dumbbell Presses - 3 sets of 10 reps with 5kg dumbbells
    Press Ups - 3 sets of 10 reps

Triceps
    Medicine Ball Extension - 3 sets of 8 reps with a 6kg medicine ball
    Medicine Ball Straight Arm Lift - 3 sets of 8 reps with a 6kg medicine ball
    Tricep Rows - 3 sets of 8 reps with 5kg dumbbells
    Chair Dips - 4 sets of 8 reps

Nutrition:
    Calories - 3086
    Fat - 77g
    Carbs - 401g
    Protein - 237g

On an unrelated note my order of protein bars came today! A lot cheaper than buying them separately and they're really convenient.

Back and Biceps Day

Forced Negative Curl - 3 sets of 8 reps with 7kg dumbbells
    Hammer Curls - 3 sets of 8 reps with 5kg dumbbells
    Bicep Curls - 3 sets of 8 reps with 5kg dumbbells
    Dumbbell Shrugs - 4 sets of 6 reps with 5kg dumbbells
    Dumbbell Rows - 3 sets of 8reps with 5kg dumbbells

Nutrition:
    Calories: 2940
    Fat - 70g
    Carbs - 453g
    Protein - 152g

Shoulders/Legs

Dumbell Front Raises - 3 sets of 8 reps with 3kg dumbbells
    Corckscrew - 3 sets of 8 reps per side with 6kg medicine ball
    Squats - 3 sets of 8 reps with 7kg dumbbells
    Lunges - 3 sets of 8 reps per leg with 7 kg dumbbells
    Good Mornings - 3 sets of 8 reps with 7kg dumbbells

Nutrition

Calories - 3100
    Carbs - 475
    Fat - 53g
    Protein - 185g

Carbs were really high today because I had no other food in my house except bread, beans and bagels really lol. Whey powder brought the protein total up but it was really not good to eat that many carbs. My workout felt really good, especially the cork screws. Tomorrow I should have some pictures up to show my 1 week progress! Not exactly thinking huge gains but it's good to keep track.

Nice job man! keep up the great work!
    I always rep back

Nice job man! keep up the great work!
    Thanks, appreciate it.

Today was a rest day. I'm filled with cold so hopefully I can get through school tomorrow and crash at the weekend. Nutrition today was standard, but quite a lot of fat.

Calories - 3000
    Protein - 196g
    Carbs - 372g
    Fat - 84g