Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    gianna30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gianna30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gianna30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gianna30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gianna30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gianna30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gianna30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gianna30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gianna30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gianna30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gianna30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

"Institute for Integrative Nutrition" thoughts?

Hi I'm interested in going to school for nutrition, but don't have the money for a 4 year university. Anyone hear of "Institute for Integrative Nutrition", if you have what are your thoughts on this school?

Thanks!

ADB007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ADB007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ADB007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ADB007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ADB007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ADB007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ADB007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ADB007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ADB007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ADB007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ADB007 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by gianna30 View Post
    Hi I'm interested in going to school for nutrition, but don't have the money for a 4 year university. Anyone hear of "Institute for Integrative Nutrition", if you have what are your thoughts on this school?

Thanks!
    Hi

I am currently studying at the IIN. I am really enjoying the course so far and learning a lot. Some of the most well known nutrition experts teach classes and they go into great detail with studies etc. The support is also amazing through the OEF (online education forum). I would definitely recommend IIN

gianna30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gianna30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gianna30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gianna30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gianna30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gianna30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gianna30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gianna30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gianna30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gianna30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gianna30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks! That's good to know. It seems like an excellent program, but I have been hearing some mixed reviews. Majority of the people really like it. But on the bad side it is not an accredited school. I just don't want to waste money if it's not something that's going to be taken seriously after I finish, know what I mean?

ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks! That's good to know. It seems like an excellent program, but I have been hearing some mixed reviews. Majority of the people really like it. But on the bad side it is not an accredited school. I just don't want to waste money if it's not something that's going to be taken seriously after I finish, know what I mean?
    If it isn't accredited then you are wasting your time (and money).

snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Beware. This appears to be the product of that "institution."

http://jezebel.com/5479381/just-what...ations-exactly

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ven33 View Post
    If it isn't accredited then you are wasting your time (and money).
    ^^^ Agreed.

By the way, IIN is not accredited by an agency recognized by the U.S. Office of Education[*], which means that its courses cannot be used toward meeting the degree requirements at standard colleges and universities that train nutritionists.

---------
    Source: US Department of Education Office of Secondary Education database

So the only solution to becoming a nutritionist / weight loss coach would be a 4 year college / university degree (and not many have online programs, and not many are under $20,000). Great... lose lose situation 4 me then .

alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by snorkelman View Post
    Beware. This appears to be the product of that "institution."

http://jezebel.com/5479381/just-what...ations-exactly
    ^Imagine that blonde & that brunette in that vid fighting over you! Yeah buddy.

alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz
    So the only solution to becoming a nutritionist / weight loss coach would be a 4 year college / university degree (and not many have online programs, and not many are under $20,000). Great... lose lose situation 4 me then .
    Read all 4 of these articles I wrote. It's a lot of material, but I gurntee you'll lurn sumthin':

Directions Toward a Career in Fitness, Part 1
    Directions Toward a Career in Fitness, Part 2
    Directions Toward a Career in Fitness, Part 3
    Paper Credentials Vs. The Fitness Industry

Alan - you're awesome! Thanks so much for the information. Although I have no desire to work in a hospital or prison as an RD, I see that credentials are very important in the hiring process even at the local gym. Although eventually I would like to branch out on my own and be my own boss, I probably need to start in an environment where I'm #1 protected by the gym if and when I make newby mistakes and #2 be where clients are given to me instead of trying to market myself right off the bat without experience. So looks like I will have to do this the slow and painful way of going back to a university. I'm moving back to Cali probably around new years and I think most of the Cal State schools offer ADA/CADE accredited degrees.

Once again thanks a ton!

Alan - you're awesome! Thanks so much for the information.
    You're welcome, & thanks. There's a ton of information in those links. Going over them once isn't really enough to catch everything. Going back to a university is only necessary if you want to become an RD. Aside from that, there's a decent range of certifications that you can get up & running with. Since you still have youth on your side, you can take a little time to study your options.

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by alan aragon View Post
    That is some absolutely great information right there. OP has looks on her side as well. No WK, just saying, never underestimate what can get you business.

ADB007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ADB007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ADB007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ADB007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ADB007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ADB007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ADB007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ADB007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ADB007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ADB007 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ADB007 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The school is certified by the State university of New York. You become a 'health coach' not a 'nutritionist'. Yes it is not a degree, but for somebody just looking to enter the industry without having to do 4 year scientific degree it is perfect. If it was a fly by night school it wouldn't have some of the top teachers in the world like Deepak Chopra or David Wolfe. It is the largest and fastest growing nutrition school.

WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ADB007 View Post
    The school is certified by the State university of New York. You become a 'health coach' not a 'nutritionist'.
    Actually, IIN graduates receive a "health counselor" certificate and are automatically eligible for "board certification" by the American Association of Drugless Practitioners (AADP).

AADP "certification" has no scientific recognition and is certainly not a sign of professional competence. AADP membership, which automatically includes "certification," is available to "any doctor or practitioner that practices 'drugless' therapies or methodologies."[*]

The basic requirement is payment of $285 and graduation from one of about 65 AADP-approved schools, all of which have unscientific teachings. Membership benefits include "an impressive 8 1/2" x 11" AADP Certificate of Membership."[*]

* See http://www.aadp.net/

^

The school is not claiming anything scientific. There are great teachers in the school and the content is excellent and very unbiased to any nutritional theories. There is such a terrible epidemic of obesity and heart disease in the world so having some people educated as health coaches can only do good. The fact that it is a shorter and easier course means that it is much more accessible to people who want to get into the industry. We need health coaches out there motivating and educating people. You will be surprised how very little the common person knows about any form of good nutrition.

and just on a side note I don't think I have ever seen a post from you where you not bashing someone or trying to prove them wrong. People must be scared to post in the nutrition section with the Nazis like you hanging around waiting to prove the next person wrong.

^

The school is not claiming anything scientific.
    The problem is that they are "teaching" nutrition, which must be science-based to have value.

and just on a side note I don't think I have ever seen a post from you where you not bashing someone or trying to prove them wrong. People must be scared to post in the nutrition section with the Nazis like you hanging around waiting to prove the next person wrong.
    I'm sorry you feel that way and I hope others aren't dissuaded from posting because of me.

I wish more of my posts could be positive and I'm aware that many of my posts seem to counter a poster's prior statements, but that's only because I truly disagree with some of what is posted.

As for the school, I genuinely believe they're a rip-off and I'm not alone in this view.

For example, see:
    http://www.credentialwatch.org/reports/iin.shtml
    http://www.quackwatch.com/04Consumer...nonrecorg.html
    http://www.ripoffreport.com/adult-ca...nutr-42bxb.htm

MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I would say that this a BS school and the lazy man's way to get into the nutrition field...who wants to take a bunch of biochemistry classes at a University when all they need to do is sign up for IIN?
    www.xccellence.com

FKK.....We don't play

Getting big: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=136802401

- Alan Aragon www.alanaragon.com

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MarkVI View Post
    I would say that this a BS school and the lazy man's way to get into the nutrition field...who wants to take a bunch of biochemistry classes at a University when all they need to do is sign up for IIN?
    Tell me bout it!! Damn human biochem, molecular biochem etc
    Yes... I've started a log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159357321

MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MarkVI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by AlwaysTryin View Post
    Tell me bout it!! Damn human biochem, molecular biochem etc
    I've got molecular bio, physics and calculus next quarter...shoot me now.
    www.xccellence.com

FKK.....We don't play

AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AlwaysTryin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Systemic physiology damn 2nd degree!! Should have stopped after my bachelor of nutritional science lol
    Yes... I've started a log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159357321

Systemic physiology damn 2nd degree!! Should have stopped after my bachelor of nutritional science lol
    You're ahead of me...I started late. I just switched from nutrition science to Pre-Med with nutrition emphasis...should be phun.
    www.xccellence.com

FKK.....We don't play

I'm halfway through my bachelor of physiotherapy

well assuming I pass my 2 final exams next Monday and Thursday lol then I'm exactly 50% done

I'm halfway through my bachelor of physiotherapy

well assuming I pass my 2 final exams next Monday and Thursday lol then I'm exactly 50% done
    Right on man, have fun with that shiz - have a nutrition/physical therapy clinic and make $$ in belgium.....but they only eat chocolate there right ??
    www.xccellence.com

FKK.....We don't play

Physio is my true passion

muscles, sport and injuries

what more could I want!

Seeing as I have played soccer for 17 years and play at a high level I'd love to be involved in that sort of team

Registered User iversonmourning's Avatar
    iversonmourning has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iversonmourning has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iversonmourning has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iversonmourning has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iversonmourning has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iversonmourning has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iversonmourning has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iversonmourning has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iversonmourning has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iversonmourning has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iversonmourning has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Good luck w that bro! I have taken Physics and calculus, different semesters though. Just out of curiosity what is your degree going to be in? Just wondering cause you don't need molecular bio for pre-med, unless you are taking it as a bio course to make your app look better. If so that sounds like a tough course. Was going to go to PA school, but my situation changed and going to nursing school now, got a degree in Kinesiology now that I will never use lol.

Physicist in Training JValjean724's Avatar
    JValjean724 is a name known to all. (+5000) JValjean724 is a name known to all. (+5000) JValjean724 is a name known to all. (+5000) JValjean724 is a name known to all. (+5000) JValjean724 is a name known to all. (+5000) JValjean724 is a name known to all. (+5000) JValjean724 is a name known to all. (+5000) JValjean724 is a name known to all. (+5000) JValjean724 is a name known to all. (+5000) JValjean724 is a name known to all. (+5000) JValjean724 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Easy stuff
    I protest this fraud

Mind and Body Recomposition Log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=127989043&page=3

First off - all you guys in bio chem and molecular bio are amazing and I commend you all. That stuff is not easy and you should be proud of yourselves!

Alan - you are a wealth of information and I will re-read the posts . I understand you do not NEED to have an RD to be in the field. However, you mentioned when working @ Spectrum you were the only nutritionist at the club w/o an RD, but you had a masters so that made up for it. My question is how am I supposed to be hired w/o even a bachelor's in nutrition. That's why I'm thinking at least a 4 yr degree might be necessary. You mentioned there are other ***** that can help me get up and running. Can you name some so I can research those as well? You can PM me if you'd like. Thanks!

Desslok - thank u for the comment. Looks are a dime a dozen though in the fitness world so I just want to make sure I have the proper knowledge to actually KEEP the clients coming back.

I'm attempting a big career change right now. I'm not trying to be a millionaire, just live decently and do something I am passionate about and interested in. Thanks for all the help and advice!

One quick question as I noticed you list your location as Uruguay: do you plan to practice there or in another country?

The reason I ask is the local standards and licensing requirements vary by country, and thus it's something you might want to keep in mind.

Oh God no I'm not staying here! I'm just wrapping up some business here then I'm on my way back to the states in 2 weeks actually. Probably back to So Cal where I grew up.

Have you considered just talking to a few managers at health clubs/gyms in your target area and asking them what certifications are required for employment?

P.S. I've never been to Uruguay, but I've always wanted to visit the triborders area of Paraguay, Brazil and Argentina. I'd love to see the Iguazu Falls!!! Have you had a chance to see it?