View Poll Results: Run or other cardio for endurance testing

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Run once week for 30 mintues or more...

14 33.33%
  • Other activity that has cardio ratings or baselines

25 59.52%
  • Just lift weights and feel my heart is a pump'n

9 21.43%
  • No cardio is considered in fitness program.

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    We make PROGRESS happen! Bronzebird's Avatar
    Bronzebird is a name known to all. (+5000) Bronzebird is a name known to all. (+5000) Bronzebird is a name known to all. (+5000) Bronzebird is a name known to all. (+5000) Bronzebird is a name known to all. (+5000) Bronzebird is a name known to all. (+5000) Bronzebird is a name known to all. (+5000) Bronzebird is a name known to all. (+5000) Bronzebird is a name known to all. (+5000) Bronzebird is a name known to all. (+5000) Bronzebird is a name known to all. (+5000)

Cardio fitness at 50?

Jogging is an element of fitness seperate to lifting or is it?

I always thought my cardio was good/great from lifting weights. But, in reality I struggled to improve my run times to a rating of "poor" to fair and now "good". I took the challenge for a college lab assignment (required) in the summer of 2009.

Anyone else adopt a running program to enhance overall fitness? Why or why no???

I hear examples that it will wear your knees and joints out? Does not squating and ATG create extreme joint angles and loads. Running in good shoes is the key to lower and in my opinion removing the wear factor out of the activity. Honestly running is difficult to combat the internal will to "quit" when the body is challenged. And eventually with log book improvements the activity became rewarding in many ways.

I turn 50 in two days, had hip surgery 12 years ago, and it has been a long road to partial recovery on the rehab. I was just wondering what the overall thoughts are here in the ov35. Some journal have running logs, maybe others maybe considering to run? If you post on the poll please elaborate in a post! I'm interested on individual perspectives...
    Last edited by Bronzebird; 11-25-2010 at 12:05 PM.
    Send a friend to invite on ********--> Marty Tolmich/Personal Trainer

My video are at https://www.********.com/pages/Action-Fitness-LLC/219746674743053

Bronzebird is a name known to all. (+5000) Bronzebird is a name known to all. (+5000) Bronzebird is a name known to all. (+5000) Bronzebird is a name known to all. (+5000) Bronzebird is a name known to all. (+5000) Bronzebird is a name known to all. (+5000) Bronzebird is a name known to all. (+5000) Bronzebird is a name known to all. (+5000) Bronzebird is a name known to all. (+5000) Bronzebird is a name known to all. (+5000) Bronzebird is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Ok, I voted more than once. I jump rope for 3, five minute intervals and working on increasing time and jumps.

Punch and kick on a heavy bag for timed intervals.

Take 2-4 hour hikes with my dogs in the foothills.

Surf the Oregon Coast, paddling through the surf is similar to swiming...

Jog out my front door and around the .75 mile block for 2 mile and 3 mile training.

Dogs go along and at times are a handful to manage on a leash...

Perhaps some people are seasonal activist: I am going snowboarding for the first time and that is not really cardio. But I do have a pair of unused crosscountry skis that I look forward to using when the snow elavation gets lower to 900 feet.

My video are at https://www.********.com/pages/Action-Fitness-LLC/219746674743053

crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Yes, running is a major component of my strengh training plan.
    "To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other."-- Carlos Castaneda

McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Not sure if your surgeon would be very happy about you running and wearing out your new hips !

I guess it depends on your goals.

For the past couple of years, my 'cardio' has been limited to swimming, with my gym fitness largely strength based. A serious of niggles with my back caused me to ease off a little, and I have been using a PT at my gym, who has been mixing up more CV in my training.

Yesterday he had my heart rate up at 168BPM, and it was still around 80BPM three hours later (It's usually nearere 50!). Now that's cardio !

But I don't run - I hate running, always have and always will. It also seems that every runner I know is always carrying some sort of injury.
    because fitness isn't coincidence

uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000)
    My wife and I ran marathons when in our late 40s early 50s and half marathons in our 60s

She is 75 and I am 74

2 years ago she had to have her hip replaced due to congenital arthritis

"NO MORE" Running allowed--biking ,walking and weight training are OK and she does all 3

I still run 6 miles 3 x a week and bike 10-20 several times a week in addition to my 3 day 1 hour weight/machine training at LA Fitness
    I know muscle has a memory but I think mine has Alzheimers

AFChief will become famous soon enough. (+50) AFChief will become famous soon enough. (+50) AFChief will become famous soon enough. (+50) AFChief will become famous soon enough. (+50) AFChief will become famous soon enough. (+50) AFChief will become famous soon enough. (+50) AFChief will become famous soon enough. (+50) AFChief will become famous soon enough. (+50) AFChief will become famous soon enough. (+50) AFChief will become famous soon enough. (+50) AFChief will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Cardio 3-4 times a week...treadmill or elliptical. I tend to get more injuries pounding pavement.

Hogan1956 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hogan1956 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hogan1956 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hogan1956 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hogan1956 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hogan1956 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hogan1956 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hogan1956 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hogan1956 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hogan1956 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hogan1956 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i walk 2 miles of country road 5 days then take 1 day off. I ride a recumbent bike 30 minutes every 3rd day.

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I'll do some cardio to get rid of the fluff from bulking, but other than that, all of my cardio comes from lifting. That is my priority.

chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) chodan9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I normally do cardio 3-5 times per week for a half hour.
    I have not done much at all in the last 2 months while gaining mass though.
    Will resume before long though.

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm not a dedicated runner and never have been. Treadmills are boring and bikes ain't much better. (Stationary ones, I mean). I do a lot of walking everyday, at least forty minutes and that helps, and in the summer, I take my children swimming to a pool and we do the swim thing for about an hour or so. Very leisurely, but it allows me to stretch out.
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

Ok, we have some excellent feedback on alternatives to running. As a clarrification to one post I did not have hip replacement(s) but auto accident breakage. Regardless, my Dr. would not approve of my choices and wrote a bleak outlook for my future 12 years ago. Nutrition and weightlifting have got me to the level of bone and muscle density to support my cardio choices. The joint did inccur trauma, arthritus may raise its ugly head (or not?)

And congratulation to you runners who are still healthy and run in moderation to maintain cardio.

Chawk will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chawk will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chawk will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chawk will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chawk will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chawk will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chawk will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chawk will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chawk will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chawk will become famous soon enough. (+50) Chawk will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I workout 3 times a week and I do 20 minutes cardio before every workout.
    The Incredible Hulk in The '300'......
    ( sci-fi )

Is weight training a passion or sacrifice?
    Whatever it is I do it.

Beer, Internet Gaming and Forum Messaging into the wee hours of the morning, will make you look like the worst thing to ever walk around without a shirt. Beware do some cardio at least 15 minutes a day.

yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000) yakabebe is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Bronzebird View Post
    Jogging is an element of fitness seperate to lifting or is it?

I always thought my cardio was good/great from lifting weights. But, in reality I struggled to improve my run times to a rating of "poor" to fair and now "good". I took the challenge for a college lab assignment (required) in the summer of 2009.

Anyone else adopt a running program to enhance overall fitness? Why or why no???

I hear examples that it will wear your knees and joints out? Does not squating and ATG create extreme joint angles and loads. Running in good shoes is the key to lower and in my opinion removing the wear factor out of the activity. Honestly running is difficult to combat the internal will to "quit" when the body is challenged. And eventually with log book improvements the activity became rewarding in many ways.

I turn 50 in two days, had hip surgery 12 years ago, and it has been a long road to partial recovery on the rehab. I was just wondering what the overall thoughts are here in the ov35. Some journal have running logs, maybe others maybe considering to run? If you post on the poll please elaborate in a post! I'm interested on individual perspectives...
    For me, cardio is an integral part of my fitness, training and stress management.

But if you are lifting to bulk up - as most do - beware the catabolic nature of longer duration cardio...it can be MOST counter productive.

That aside...go for it!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154678393

If a guy's working harder than me - doing more than me - he fking well deserves to beat me.

Simple plan.

"Conceive. Believe. Perceive. Achieve", RMW

brewdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brewdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brewdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brewdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brewdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brewdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brewdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brewdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brewdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brewdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) brewdude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have been doing an eliptical for the last 3 years every morning 7 days a week for 30 to 45 minutes, depending on the day.

Consensus Summary: It appears that cardio is important to all individuals at different levels of duration. And the intensity is moderate to avoid catabolic loss of muscle mass. Using intensity/duration for FAT control was mentioned, and ditto that. Example is Holiday jogging/cardio to get rid of the "bulk/fluff". Reps to all and to all a healthy holiday!

uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000) uncbob is just really nice. (+1000)
    Been jogging since 1977
    At 74 I go 6 miles 3x a week
    I know muscle has a memory but I think mine has Alzheimers

Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Lunu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by uncbob View Post
    My wife and I ran marathons when in our late 40s early 50s and half marathons in our 60s

She is 75 and I am 74

2 years ago she had to have her hip replaced due to congenital arthritis

"NO MORE" Running allowed--biking ,walking and weight training are OK and she does all 3

I still run 6 miles 3 x a week and bike 10-20 several times a week in addition to my 3 day 1 hour weight/machine training at LA Fitness
    That's incredible! Very inspiring!

JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Cardio is boring and a muscle burner given my caloric intake. I eat for muscle mass. Weight training is an anaerobic activity. My leg routine challenges my cardiovascular system. I’m at 7.5% bodyfat without cardio. And the list goes on.
    How can you visualize training a muscle if you don't know its structure?