startingtotrain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) startingtotrain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) startingtotrain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) startingtotrain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) startingtotrain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) startingtotrain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) startingtotrain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) startingtotrain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) startingtotrain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) startingtotrain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) startingtotrain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

question about running and muscle loss

if i am on a 500 caloric deficit is it alright to run 45mins to 1 hour, several nights a week like 4 or more times? will this cause muscle loss due to the lowered calories?

and my other question is at what point do we go from burning our fat, or the carbs we've eaten, to burning muscle

msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000)
    A point you will not hit on the track.

mickdoo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mickdoo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mickdoo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mickdoo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mickdoo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mickdoo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mickdoo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mickdoo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mickdoo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mickdoo is a jewel in the rough. (+500) mickdoo is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    running is fine, its a great tool to get lean, if you smell ammonia in your sweat after a run you body is burning the protein in lean tissue for energy, monitor this
    Pro 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

dule79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dule79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    1h hour is just too long. I'd rather run faster and chasing my speed records within 30 minutes. It's just personal preference, sprinters looks much better than skinny marathon runners

msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000) msm00b is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Running for an hour (or even two for that matter) will not make you a skinny marathon runner.

dule79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dule79 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    neither wll 5k sprint run make you muscular shaped guy. It's just a suggestion in which direction to look. I know by my own experience, after a while, that 1h of running wont be enough anymore, so he will extend it eventually to 1:15, 1:30, 2 hours, etc.. seamlessly becoming a marathon runner. Well, day is too short to spend it all on running.

Marathon runners are traditionally skinny because they train themselves into that advantageous body habitus. It's why you'll never see them in the gym benching, curling, squatting, dead lifting ... power lifting in general. Big muscles in the gym = big muscles slowing you down. Distance running in and of itself will not give you the marathoner body. Just like bodybuilding requires strict focus and dedication, so does building your body for this sport.

Short duration running is great.
    High intensity running is great.
    Moderate intensity distance running is great.
    Lower intensity longer distance running is great.

They all serve a purpose, and none other in moderation will stand in the way of the OP reaching his goals unless he wants the Mr Olympia title.

If taken to extremes you could (as you put it) eat up all your training time with running, but that's more a failure in priorities and planning.

To me, lifting time trumps all. If I don't have the time to do both, my ass is in the gym.

Dude, I totally agree with you, there's nothing to add. It's just like I said, a personal preference

hulkamnaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulkamnaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulkamnaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulkamnaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulkamnaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulkamnaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulkamnaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulkamnaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulkamnaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulkamnaia will become famous soon enough. (+50) hulkamnaia will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by msm00b View Post
    A point you will not hit on the track.
    ha ha very good!

this guy is correct if u wanna get to the stage of burning muscle you gotta run a long time several days a week.ie marathon runner,u will be ok..personally i like HIT or HIIT as my cardio i find it far better for fat loss and enjoyment

HungryFerret has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) HungryFerret has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) HungryFerret has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) HungryFerret has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) HungryFerret has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) HungryFerret has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) HungryFerret has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) HungryFerret has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) HungryFerret has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) HungryFerret has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) HungryFerret has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by mickdoo View Post
    running is fine, its a great tool to get lean, if you smell ammonia in your sweat after a run you body is burning the protein in lean tissue for energy, monitor this
    Wow, never heard this before...
    What don't kill you, make you more strong....
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/making-a-transformation-requires-110-percent.html

If you smell ammonia in your sweat as it's coming out, you've for bigger problems than muscle burning.

startingtotrain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) startingtotrain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) startingtotrain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) startingtotrain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) startingtotrain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) startingtotrain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) startingtotrain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) startingtotrain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) startingtotrain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) startingtotrain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) startingtotrain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    hey thanks for responses guys.

im not trying to be mr olympia obviously. but ive spent the last 5 months bulking and probably put on 10+ pounds of muscle (estimate), it was my first bulk.

and i obviously put on fat also, but i want to cut now and keep all the muscle i busted my ass for.

10lbs lean muscle in 5 months is pretty hard (I'd argue impossible without juicing) ... Even for a noob.

DjTru has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DjTru has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DjTru has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So run!! people are so apposed to the idea of running or cardio, because its time consuming and quite hard. Every week, balance your workouts with running 1-3 times a week!!

At least 3.5 KM or what ever that is in miles lol. Im Canadian.

10lbs lean muscle in 5 months is pretty hard (I'd argue impossible without juicing) ... Even for a noob.
    impossible lol.. 5 months is a long time bro. thats only 2 pounds of muscle a month. that is very doable for a beginner whos eating right and going 150% in the gym. ive seen tons of people post stuff on this site like 6 month and 1 year transformations, where they appear to have put on even more than that.

and what would u know about putting on muscle. ur barely 140lbs

also, can you inform me what "lean muscle" is? i think i have a lot of fat muscle, but i want to swap it for lean.

lold

lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by startingtotrain View Post
    impossible lol.. 5 months is a long time bro. thats only 2 pounds of muscle a month. that is very doable for a beginner whos eating right and going 150% in the gym. ive seen tons of people post stuff on this site like 6 month and 1 year transformations, where they appear to have put on even more than that.

also, can you inform me what "lean muscle" is? i think i have a lot of fat muscle, but i want to swap it for lean.

lold
    no need to be a dick, bro. he's a good poster, who's contributing to your thread.

he obviously meant lean mass, but i do disagree that 2lb/month is impossible. It's probably best case scenerio, but possible.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...potential.html

Originally Posted by lee__d View Post
    no need to be a dick, bro. he's a good poster, who's contributing to your thread.

he obviously meant lean mass, but i do disagree that 2lb/month is impossible. It's probably best case scenerio, but possible.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...potential.html
    i read a whole article on this site talking about how its only physiologically possible to put on 1 pound of muscle a week, and no more. not sure if this meant naturally or not. but 1 pound with ideal conditions...perfect training, prefect diet, etc.

so it seems pretty reasonable to me that a beginner could put on .5 pounds a week for 5 months

lold
    I may be 140lb but I sure as fck can lift a lot more than your chubby ass. I'd apologize for getting so lowbrow but you stepped in it.

Lean mass = muscle, not fat. You can easily bulk 10lbs of fat per month by pigging out. Even as a beginner 2 pounds of raw muscle a month isn't that possible (for 99.9% of people). Your assertion that you can or did only solidifies my opinion of you: idiot.

Pro bodybuilders may be lucky to get a couple of pounds a year naturally. Beginners have an easier time ... but not 10pm per 5months. The most likely scenario is that you gained something less than 10lb raw muscle and significantly more fat ... especially since your lifts compared to your body weight are complete ass. If you think you can go from 150lbs of lean mass to 175 lean mass in a year, you're a retard. Building lean mass takes time and months/years of training. Most people just get overfat and falsely claim a portion of those gains to be muscle.

Idiot.
    Last edited by msm00b; 11-24-2010 at 09:33 AM.

lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) lee__d has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    i read a whole article on this site talking about how its only physiologically possible to put on 1 pound of muscle a week, and no more. not sure if this meant naturally or not. but 1 pound with ideal conditions...perfect training, prefect diet, etc.

so it seems pretty reasonable to me that a beginner could put on .5 pounds a week for 5 months
    i said it was possible.

lyle's article (that i linked) is worth reading

I may be 140lb but I sure as fck can lift a lot more than your chubby ass. I'd apologize for getting so lowbrow but you stepped in it.

Lean mass = muscle, not fat. You can easily bulk 10lbs of fat per month by pigging out. Even as a beginner 2 pounds of raw muscle a month isn't that possible (for 99.9% of people). Your assertion that you can or did only solidifies my opinion of you: idiot.

Pro bodybuilders may be lucky to get a couple of pounds a year naturally. Beginners have an easier time ... but not 10pm per 5months. The most likely scenario is that you gained something less than 10lb raw muscle and significantly more fat ... especially since your lifts compared to your body weight are complete ass. If you think you can go from 150lbs of lean mass to 175 lean mass in a year, you're a retard. Building lean mass takes time and months/years of training. Most people just get overfat and falsely claim a portion of those gains to be muscle.

Idiot.
    i have 16% bodyfat lol. while weighing 183 pounds. and you have a 1rm bench of 280? and ur going to brag about lifting more? i rep 315 bro. didnt read any of ur other bs tho. just letting u know. stay scrawn

i have 16% bodyfat lol. while weighing 183 pounds. and you have a 1rm bench of 280? and ur going to brag about lifting more? i rep 315 bro. didnt read any of ur other bs tho. just letting u know. stay scrawn
    if true, that's pretty damn impressive at ur weight

im prob 18-20%bf (my own caliper test put me at 16, but it's wrong) and max at like 215 on bench (amy bench is weak haha)

Lol

Lol
    kid mad he looked at my stats from when i weighed 150. lold.

go back to ur 2 plates for 3 reps scrawn.

Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Cape1 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    if i am on a 500 caloric deficit is it alright to run 45mins to 1 hour, several nights a week like 4 or more times? will this cause muscle loss due to the lowered calories?

and my other question is at what point do we go from burning our fat, or the carbs we've eaten, to burning muscle
    You will open a can of worms with this question.

It really depends on your goals dude. What are you looking to accomplish?

Yes it will cause a loss in lean mass. The diet alone will do that. The trick is how much lean mass. It really depends on your nutritional support for that activity.

You can also loose lean mass in the weight room, on the elyptical trainer, the bike, walking to your car or even doing a mile or two on your Mrs! It comes down to how compatible your nutrition is with your work load. Where people in bodybuilding run into trouble is with the simple fact that nutrition that supports a heavy aerobic work load does not always favor the Asthetic goals.

I'll tell you this though. If being in good shape is your goal, nothing will rip you into shape like a good running program will.
    "The best gift that you can give your children is to Love their Mother"