MirinStylin will become famous soon enough. (+50) MirinStylin will become famous soon enough. (+50) MirinStylin will become famous soon enough. (+50) MirinStylin will become famous soon enough. (+50) MirinStylin will become famous soon enough. (+50) MirinStylin will become famous soon enough. (+50) MirinStylin will become famous soon enough. (+50) MirinStylin will become famous soon enough. (+50) MirinStylin will become famous soon enough. (+50) MirinStylin will become famous soon enough. (+50) MirinStylin will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Are protein shakes necessary?

I took protein supplements for about 2 years. A couple months ago I stopped taking it and ate an egg sandwich (3 eggs sometimes more) on whole wheat toast, a banana, and my own shake consisting of milk, honey, and a about 2 tbsp of peanut butter. I've been gaining weight and strength since I made the change.

How many of you guys use protein supplements? Am I the only one that isn't?

Do you guys think it would make a difference if I added a scoop of protein in my pwo shake along with my meal?
    †Italian Crew†

swole-striation is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) swole-striation is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) swole-striation is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) swole-striation is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) swole-striation is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) swole-striation is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) swole-striation is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) swole-striation is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) swole-striation is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) swole-striation is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) swole-striation is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    yes they are

Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000)
    ^^ not sure if srs.

they're not necessary, they just help meet your protein intake for each day since they're so convenient and cheap.
    My weightloss / body composition guide:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1d4mKi51EUUWQOUKz43QtAHrL8KUtwB9P-idTay597oc/pub

8/26/12-5/4/13 cut in my bodyspace

pkahnman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pkahnman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pkahnman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pkahnman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pkahnman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pkahnman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pkahnman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pkahnman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pkahnman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pkahnman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) pkahnman has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    i think so
    NY Rangers - NY Giants - NY Knicks - NY Yankees

"Beyond the very extreme of fatigue and distress, we may find amounts of ease and power we never dreamed ourselves to own; sources of strength never taxed at all because we never push through the obstruction"

SEANxALLxDAY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SEANxALLxDAY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SEANxALLxDAY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SEANxALLxDAY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SEANxALLxDAY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SEANxALLxDAY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SEANxALLxDAY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SEANxALLxDAY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SEANxALLxDAY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SEANxALLxDAY has a spectacular aura about. (+250) SEANxALLxDAY has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by MirinStylin View Post
    I took protein supplements for about 2 years. A couple months ago I stopped taking it and ate an egg sandwich (3 eggs sometimes more) on whole wheat toast, a banana, and my own shake consisting of milk, honey, and a about 2 tbsp of peanut butter. I've been gaining weight and strength since I made the change.

How many of you guys use protein supplements? Am I the only one that isn't?

Do you guys think it would make a difference if I added a scoop of protein in my pwo shake along with my meal?
    it matters,if you consume your macro needs without protein powders its not necessary
    [If It Fits Your Macros Crew] - U mad?

<**>Yellow Fever Crew: Once you go Asian...HNNNNGHH<**>

Weight b4 Bodybuilding - 455lbs (oct 2009)

Sponsored Watermelon WF v2 log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=135478661

jordanair45 is a name known to all. (+5000) jordanair45 is a name known to all. (+5000) jordanair45 is a name known to all. (+5000) jordanair45 is a name known to all. (+5000) jordanair45 is a name known to all. (+5000) jordanair45 is a name known to all. (+5000) jordanair45 is a name known to all. (+5000) jordanair45 is a name known to all. (+5000) jordanair45 is a name known to all. (+5000) jordanair45 is a name known to all. (+5000) jordanair45 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you can hit your macro requirement w/whole foods...no, not necessary. I can't afford to eat 100% whole foods, and don't have the time to cook all that extra food I'd need to eat in order to meet my protein requirement. So, they are necessary for me. Whole foods > supplements. If I could I would..I love to eat
    "The more I began to lift weights, the more I became addicted to the feeling of being bigger and stronger."

MirinStylin will become famous soon enough. (+50) MirinStylin will become famous soon enough. (+50) MirinStylin will become famous soon enough. (+50) MirinStylin will become famous soon enough. (+50) MirinStylin will become famous soon enough. (+50) MirinStylin will become famous soon enough. (+50) MirinStylin will become famous soon enough. (+50) MirinStylin will become famous soon enough. (+50) MirinStylin will become famous soon enough. (+50) MirinStylin will become famous soon enough. (+50) MirinStylin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by SEANxALLxDAY View Post
    it matters,if you consume your macro needs without protein powders its not necessary
    I think I get my macro needs. I've used fitday and for my nutrition class we did a diet analysis. I'm starting to doubt if I get enough protein now because it seems everyone and there mother takes a protein supplement.

My teacher said if you're bodybuilding to get 1.8 x your body weight in kg in protein. Does that sound like complete bullsh!t to you guys?
    †Italian Crew†

Originally Posted by jordanair45 View Post
    If you can hit your macro requirement w/whole foods...no, not necessary. I can't afford to eat 100% whole foods, and don't have the time to cook all that extra food I'd need to eat in order to meet my protein requirement. So, they are necessary for me. Whole foods > supplements. If I could I would..I love to eat
    Thats why I eat eggs. They're cheap!
    Paying $70 for 10lbs of protein seems like a lot to me when I have to fork it all out at once.
    †Italian Crew†

lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I think I get my macro needs. I've used fitday and for my nutrition class we did a diet analysis. I'm starting to doubt if I get enough protein now because it seems everyone and there mother takes a protein supplement.

My teacher said if you're bodybuilding to get 1.8 x your body weight in kg in protein. Does that sound like complete bullsh!t to you guys?
    The standard suggestion is 1 gram per pound of muscle.

I have a shake in the morning, before bed and after resistance training. There is only so much fish, chicken, turkey and egg white a man can take.

If you eat clean hitting protein markers is easy, but you need to eat clean to do it. Otherwise you need shakes to maximize protein synthesis. The difference take time to notice though.

lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) lsiberian has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thats why I eat eggs. They're cheap!
    Paying $70 for 10lbs of protein seems like a lot to me when I have to fork it all out at once.
    My protein(wheybolic 60) is more expensive than that unless it's on sale. But I won't buy in bulk because I tire of stuff easily. I wish I could find a cheaper protein I liked, but it works for me so I stick with it.

FYI make sure you are eating egg whites and not whole eggs. The yolk has a lot of cholesterol in it. No more than one yolk per day is what one of the Cardiologists at the Mayo clinic suggests.

Z Gatrel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Z Gatrel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Z Gatrel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Z Gatrel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Z Gatrel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Z Gatrel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Z Gatrel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Z Gatrel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Z Gatrel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Z Gatrel will become famous soon enough. (+50) Z Gatrel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by lsiberian View Post
    FYI make sure you are eating egg whites and not whole eggs. The yolk has a lot of cholesterol in it. No more than one yolk per day is what one of the Cardiologists at the Mayo clinic suggests.
    Lol...

kdog1189 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdog1189 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdog1189 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdog1189 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdog1189 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdog1189 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdog1189 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdog1189 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdog1189 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdog1189 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdog1189 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    My protein(wheybolic 60) is more expensive than that unless it's on sale. But I won't buy in bulk because I tire of stuff easily. I wish I could find a cheaper protein I liked, but it works for me so I stick with it.

Not sure whether to lol harder at the egg comment or the fact that you take wheybolic 60........

MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    raise your hand if u think ur body muscles can tell whether an amino acid in the blood originated in chicken or the MuscleTech factory

K41N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) K41N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) K41N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) K41N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) K41N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) K41N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) K41N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) K41N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) K41N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) K41N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) K41N has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This:
    Originally Posted by Kenshinhimora View Post
    ^^ not sure if srs.

they're not necessary, they just help meet your protein intake for each day since they're so convenient and cheap.
    and
    Originally Posted by MirinStylin

1.8 x 80kg = 144g 80kg, 18%BF, so 65.6kg Lean, 65.6 kilograms = 144g protein. Either way its 144. so yea, would say that formula is good, however it assumes the 18% bf. again, its just math, use what formula you believe will work better for you.

The standard 1g for every 1lbs of lean body mass seems more accurate in my opinion.

Originally Posted by kdog1189 View Post
    Not sure whether to lol harder at the egg comment or the fact that you take wheybolic 60........
    What's wrong with either?

kdog1189 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdog1189 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdog1189 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdog1189 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdog1189 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdog1189 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdog1189 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdog1189 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdog1189 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdog1189 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdog1189 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What's wrong with either?
    The egg comment is wrong and wheybolic 60 is extremely overpriced. Save your $$.

The egg comment is wrong and wheybolic 60 is extremely overpriced. Save your $$.
    I think I'll go with the advice of an expert cardiologist over the advice of a forum poster.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/HQ00608

here's the link if your interested. The protein ain't too bad with the gold card and sales. I've been thinking of trying the Gold Standard stuff from ON though.

I think I'll go with the advice of an expert cardiologist over the advice of a forum poster.

here's the link if your interested. The protein ain't too bad with the gold card and sales. I've been thinking of trying the Gold Standard stuff from ON though.
    Just an FYI ON makes GNC's protein. Go buy a 10 lb tub of Scivation or a similiar brand for under $70. Will save you a lot of money in the long run.

Just an FYI ON makes GNC's protein. Go buy a 10 lb tub of Scivation or a similiar brand for under $70. Will save you a lot of money in the long run.
    I'll give the Scivation a try. Thanks for the suggestion. I've been looking for something cheaper.

Alwaysdeadlift is just really nice. (+1000) Alwaysdeadlift is just really nice. (+1000) Alwaysdeadlift is just really nice. (+1000) Alwaysdeadlift is just really nice. (+1000) Alwaysdeadlift is just really nice. (+1000) Alwaysdeadlift is just really nice. (+1000) Alwaysdeadlift is just really nice. (+1000) Alwaysdeadlift is just really nice. (+1000) Alwaysdeadlift is just really nice. (+1000) Alwaysdeadlift is just really nice. (+1000) Alwaysdeadlift is just really nice. (+1000)

It's a discussion that will never cease, however, there are many studies to combat this opinion on the subject:

http://www.physorg.com/news139156140.html

An example of a moderate case study using actual people; small, but none the less does show some opposition.
    deadlift: 500 (No straps, No belt, No chalk... 100% RAW)
    squat: 405
    Bench: 300
    ------
    total: 1205

4.66sec 40 yard dash at 205lbs

Former Outside Back in the Rugby US Superleague (ankle tendons exploded, I will return one day... bigger, muhahaha!!!)

Originally Posted by Alwaysdeadlift View Post
    It's a discussion that will never cease, however, there are many studies to combat this opinion on the subject:

http://www.physorg.com/news139156140.html

An example of a moderate case study using actual people; small, but none the less does show some opposition.
    That's an interesting conclusion. I just figure it's best to play it safe, but it seems a lot of old beliefs are being challenged these days.

I'll give the Scivation a try. Thanks for the suggestion. I've been looking for something cheaper.
    FWIW it tastes good too.

MmaBrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MmaBrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MmaBrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MmaBrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MmaBrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MmaBrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MmaBrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MmaBrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MmaBrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MmaBrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MmaBrah has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    there a SUPPLEMENT. Its easier for me to have a protein shake after the gym then to carry around some tuna, bread and a toaster

Stee22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stee22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stee22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stee22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stee22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stee22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stee22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stee22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stee22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stee22 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stee22 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Necessary. No
    Incredibly helpful. Yes.

They're a SUPPLEMENT, use them accordingly.

BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000) BookMonkey is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Stee22 View Post
    Necessary. No
    Incredibly helpful. Yes.

They're a SUPPLEMENT, use them accordingly.
    This, this, and this.

When I was bulking at 3000 calories, trying to get it through whole foods alone was time consuming. Getting those shakes in made it easier to get the calories in. Is it necessary? Of course not. Bodybuilding has been around longer than protein shakes.

They help your diet, but they are other means to accomplish your goals. But should you? That is up to you. Some people prefer whole foods alone and some rely on both. Some think that you could survive on only shakes and a multivitamin and be fine. There are many schools of thought and none of them are wrong, or at least, not exactly. But to each their own. I don't care to eat veal. Does that mean I will have better or worse gains than someone else? Maybe...but do I care? Not really...
    Short term Goal: To cut back before bulking like a demon.
    Mid term Goal: To find myself.
    Long term Goal: To get what's mine.

67 lbs in 9 years and still counting... (started at 100lbs)

It's a hater's job to hate. So let them hate...