m1keyy is not very helpful. (-500) m1keyy is not very helpful. (-500) m1keyy is not very helpful. (-500) m1keyy is not very helpful. (-500) m1keyy is not very helpful. (-500) m1keyy is not very helpful. (-500) m1keyy is not very helpful. (-500) m1keyy is not very helpful. (-500) m1keyy is not very helpful. (-500) m1keyy is not very helpful. (-500) m1keyy is not very helpful. (-500)

do bodyweight workouts build muscles?

Do they build bigger muscles or do they just tone them, if I combined my normal workout with dips and pushups at home for example... reps for good input
    #####///'10-'11 Winter Bulk Crew\\\#####

::MISC ARSENAL CREW::

modnegged feelsbadman.jpg

Registered User II Cybershot II's Avatar
    II Cybershot II is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) II Cybershot II is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) II Cybershot II is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) II Cybershot II is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) II Cybershot II is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) II Cybershot II is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) II Cybershot II is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) II Cybershot II is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) II Cybershot II is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) II Cybershot II is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) II Cybershot II is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    dips and pull-ups build pretty decent mass. a lot people with great physiques use both of these as primary exercises in their routines. push-ups are meh. body-weight squats won't build much mass at all really. and handstands against a wall for shoulders are pretty good, but difficult at first.
    **Birth, Sickness, Old-Age, and Death Crew**

WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50) WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50) WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50) WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50) WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50) WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50) WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50) WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50) WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50) WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50) WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yes, you can get pretty big from just bodyweight exercise.

No, you wont get big by accident, regardless of how your workout. It requires you to EAT.

No, bodyweight is NOT the best means of getting big. Honestly, I really love bodyweight exercises in general because I like the convenience and the lack of dependence on stuff to get my workout (kinda minimalist) and I like about a million differences in the way they'll typically effect your body compared to weights.

But, anyone who tells you that doing bodyweight exercise will pack on more mass than lifting heavy barbells is at best, ignorant.
    A man can only be beaten in two ways: if he gives up, or dies.

REALDEAL012 is just really nice. (+1000) REALDEAL012 is just really nice. (+1000) REALDEAL012 is just really nice. (+1000) REALDEAL012 is just really nice. (+1000) REALDEAL012 is just really nice. (+1000) REALDEAL012 is just really nice. (+1000) REALDEAL012 is just really nice. (+1000) REALDEAL012 is just really nice. (+1000) REALDEAL012 is just really nice. (+1000) REALDEAL012 is just really nice. (+1000) REALDEAL012 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I agree with the above posters, I just think it decides what exercises is being performed. Clapper pushups, pullups, and dips could possibly be difficult for some at first, so you would have to build up more strength to perform these for more reps, resulting in muscle gains. Handstand pushups would be great as well..

However, BW squats are good for dynamic warm up, but you will not gain much at all from them..

Once again, I think it depends on the exercises..

In your case, I don't see why you couldn't add some of these exercises and see how they work for you

As for abs, it depends on if you are natural, or drug aided. Arnold trained his abs/calves everyday in some of his splits. You or I, no way!

I think about 2 to 3 days is optimal for growth..

I do..
    Monday: Rest
    Tuesday: Obliques
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: Lower Abs
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: Upper Abs/Core Strength
    Sunday: Rest

Good Luck with some gains!
    Lift, Eat, Sleep, Repeat

WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50) WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50) WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50) WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50) WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50) WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50) WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50) WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50) WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50) WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50) WarWithWeakness will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It's not so much the lack of difficulty to bodyweight exercises.

Fingertip push ups.
    One arm push ups.
    Muscle ups.
    One arm chin ups.
    Rope climbs.

For abs, leg raises and various bridges.

But in all of these your body's best means of adapting isn't by getting bigger. They also don't allow for as heavy loads (relative to what you could lift) because there's more stabilisation required. You'll also have a very hard time spending the majority of your training doing low reps purely because there's not really any equivalent of microloading and you will often have to add reps as your means of progressing to the something more difficult.

Jack1Burton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack1Burton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack1Burton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack1Burton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack1Burton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack1Burton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack1Burton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack1Burton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack1Burton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack1Burton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jack1Burton has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    depends on ur genes me and my cousin both started bodyweight exercises at the same time he's gotten bigger and im getting ripped

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by m1keyy View Post
    Do they build bigger muscles
    They can. No form of training will always do this. It depends on relative intensity to your current fitness.

do they just tone them
    Nothing 'just' tones a muscle. Changes in resting muscle tone are only one of a myriad of changes that can occur in response to various exercise habits.

if I combined my normal workout with dips and pushups at home for example.
    What are you asking here?

Originally Posted by REALDEAL012 View Post
    BW squats are good for dynamic warm up, but you will not gain much at all from them..
    Pistols are also a bodyweight squat, can you get big from doing them, considering they put around the same stimulus on the leg extensors that squatting a bit less than your bodyweight on the bar would? (less foot weight for calves, +less shin weight for knees, +less leg weight for hip).

SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SwiftyX is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    To a point.... progressive overload is king at some junction you'll need to load the movements to continue making gains.
    "Worrying about GI is a waste of time & energy." - Alan Aragon.

whitedoor is just really nice. (+1000) whitedoor is just really nice. (+1000) whitedoor is just really nice. (+1000) whitedoor is just really nice. (+1000) whitedoor is just really nice. (+1000) whitedoor is just really nice. (+1000) whitedoor is just really nice. (+1000) whitedoor is just really nice. (+1000) whitedoor is just really nice. (+1000) whitedoor is just really nice. (+1000) whitedoor is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you dont do much exercise then chances are that they will at first because they will be overloading your muscles

However doing 60 push ups a day will not build muscle just endurance

You could however add weight to bodyweight exercises when they become too easy, weighted pull ups and push ups can build a lot of muscle

sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50) sunyatasamsara will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    When I was 14 I did 400 pushups a day sets of 25 and 400 situps sets of 100 and I just looked like Zach Effron. I once did 1000 pushups sets of 50 and 1000 situps sets of 50 in 2 hours and I was pretty small.
    "i dream therefore i am not"

Originally Posted by sunyatasamsara View Post
    When I was 14 I did 400 pushups a day sets of 25 and 400 situps sets of 100 and I just looked like Zach Effron. I once did 1000 pushups sets of 50 and 1000 situps sets of 50 in 2 hours and I was pretty small.

You were:
    The weight of a 14 year old (i.e. it was lighter work).
    Working without progressive resistance (if you wanted to get big, you should have increased the difficulty rather than just the repetitions).
    Also, since you say you weren't fat or particularly muscular, it's safe to assume you weren't eating like you were trying to bulk either.