Rock81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rock81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rock81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

My Story of Calves_may be an inspiration for somebody!

Hey guys

This is my personal experience with training; which I thought of sharing. May be under a wrong section, really sorry for that. Request to Mods, please move it under a more appropriate section.

I started my training 2 years back & I was a super skinny guy at 150lbs (now a bit better at 183lbs). My calves were really weak & even I could not see them coming even after 6 months of training. So, I thought torturing them so hard that they would leave with no other option, but to grow. So, on my next Legs Training day, I planned to go harder on my calves. Therefore on training day, I ended up with 8 sets of standing calves raise & 8 sets with seated calves raise with 20-25 reps in each set. When I left the gym, my calves were burning. I thought this burning would give me the size/shape I always wanted.

But next morning, to my surprise, when I woke up & tried to stand up on my feet…boom! I fell again on bed. I was stunned..what happened to me. Then I tried again & realize that I could not touch the rear part of my foot (below ankle) to the ground, because it was hurting like anything. On that day, I try to negotiated & manage walking with just front portion of my feet. My colleagues in office asked me – what happened & I replied them with an excuse that I fell on the stairs last night. Next day was even worse, So, I decided to go to doctor in spite of going to office. Doctor told me that your calves muscles are pulled really badly & tortured with his 20-30 minutes lecture that I am not going to be a pro so I should never go this hard on my training & then put a mixture of ointments & wrapped both of my calves with a thick layer of cotton & then bandage. It was looking like plaster on my both calves.

It was fifth day after training & two days after bandage that I could put my full feet on the ground. But, to my surprise, when I checked my calves, they were in much better shape than earlier & I could flex them & see them where they are.

It was my story of training calves. After that my calves started responding to training.

DntWrryBeHappy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DntWrryBeHappy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    so you completely tore all the tissue possible from them to the point where you could barely walk for a week and now they respond a lot better? talk about shocking into growth!

Get huge now, ripped late Porkchop5's Avatar
    Porkchop5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Porkchop5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Porkchop5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Porkchop5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Porkchop5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Porkchop5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Porkchop5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Porkchop5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Porkchop5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Porkchop5 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Porkchop5 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    pretty epic training. Not sure you really tore anything though, a muscle tear would not heal in a week like that. Seems to me that you never really worked your calves hard before and they were sore for a while.

I can't wait to work my calves/legs out again. I am 9 weeks out of surgery after tearing my achilles, so I know how ya feel not being able to walk.
    Build on it each day!

By the end of college I was 5'11" 165.
    Went on a bulk and got up to 185.
    Now 170 and like 8% bf.
    Future: Go on another bulk from Sept-feb/march get up to 180 without getting so dirty!

Lifts:
    Bench: 200x2
    Squat: 325x5
    Hang-clean: 110 Kg

MadMuscleMania has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MadMuscleMania has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MadMuscleMania has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Classic....

Originally Posted by Rock81 View Post
    Hey guys

So, I thought torturing them so hard that they would leave with no other option, but to grow. So, on my next Legs Training day, I planned to go harder on my calves. Therefore on training day, I ended up with 8 sets of standing calves raise & 8 sets with seated calves raise with 20-25 reps in each set. When I left the gym, my calves were burning. I thought this burning would give me the size/shape I always wanted.

But next morning, to my surprise, when I woke up & tried to stand up on my feet…boom! I fell again on bed. I was stunned..what happened to me. Then I tried again & realize that I could not touch the rear part of my foot (below ankle) to the ground, because it was hurting like anything. On that day, I try to negotiated & manage walking with just front portion of my feet. My colleagues in office asked me – what happened & I replied them with an excuse that I fell on the stairs last night. Next day was even worse, So, I decided to go to doctor in spite of going to office. Doctor told me that your calves muscles are pulled really badly & tortured with his 20-30 minutes lecture that I am not going to be a pro so I should never go this hard on my training & then put a mixture of ointments & wrapped both of my calves with a thick layer of cotton & then bandage. It was looking like plaster on my both calves.

It was fifth day after training & two days after bandage that I could put my full feet on the ground. But, to my surprise, when I checked my calves, they were in much better shape than earlier & I could flex them & see them where they are.

It was my story of training calves. After that my calves started responding to training.
    Lol Dude that is a classic, classic post.
    Talk about training intensely for maximum muscle stimulation. 8 Sets per exercise! Jeez man, thats crazy talk.
    Lovely moral at the end of the story though... What doesnt kill you, REALLY does make you stronger eh!
    (And i thought the mfm 'Beginner' Calf Workout was tough going...)

DntWrryBeHappy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DntWrryBeHappy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Porkchop5 View Post
    pretty epic training. Not sure you really tore anything though, a muscle tear would not heal in a week like that. Seems to me that you never really worked your calves hard before and they were sore for a while.

I can't wait to work my calves/legs out again. I am 9 weeks out of surgery after tearing my achilles, so I know how ya feel not being able to walk.

lifting essentially tears the muscle tissue and while its rebuilding its sore and needs protein right??...i meant it in that sense. not like a torn ligament or something.

It's also possible i have no idea what I'm talking about as I'm 19 and an engineering student. enlighten me!

anyway back on topic...good work man and definetly inspiring

Rock81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rock81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rock81 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by MadMuscleMania View Post
    Lol Dude that is a classic, classic post.
    Talk about training intensely for maximum muscle stimulation. 8 Sets per exercise! Jeez man, thats crazy talk.
    Lovely moral at the end of the story though... What doesnt kill you, REALLY does make you stronger eh!
    (And i thought the mfm 'Beginner' Calf Workout was tough going...)
    haha...On that training day...I was thinking about Arnold, how me made his lower portion better by working out everyday with split training (morning/evening).So, I thought, if Arnold can do it (calves) every evening so I can also hit them really hard atleast once in weak if not more.But no regrets over that training.

I know my body responds against high volume training. So I have started Linear Periodization training which contains 10-12 exercises with high reps like 20-22 in supersets.It been three days & am feeling something is happening positive in my body.Checkout my workout thread (link in my signature).

Originally Posted by Porkchop5 View Post

I understand what you mean.See, I can say....It was not soring as soring what you feel for next 2-3 days when you hit your muscle really well.But it gets better day by day but my muscles were getting worse. May be, it might not be major damage (thank God) to my calves (which could take months to heal) but it was also not soaring.BTW...best of luck for your legs workout.I can feel the eagerness & excitement.

Originally Posted by DntWrryBeHappy View Post
    lifting essentially tears the muscle tissue and while its rebuilding its sore and needs protein right??...i meant it in that sense. not like a torn ligament or something.

It's also possible i have no idea what I'm talking about as I'm 19 and an engineering student. enlighten me!

anyway back on topic...good work man and definetly inspiring
    Thanks buddy. Nice to know you are studying engineering, which stream. I am a Mechanical Engineer.

Originally Posted by Rock81 View Post

Thanks buddy. Nice to know you are studying engineering, which stream. I am a Mechanical Engineer.

same good sir, mechanical engineering for the win!

doggue is not very well liked. (-100) doggue is not very well liked. (-100) doggue is not very well liked. (-100) doggue is not very well liked. (-100) doggue is not very well liked. (-100) doggue is not very well liked. (-100) doggue is not very well liked. (-100) doggue is not very well liked. (-100) doggue is not very well liked. (-100) doggue is not very well liked. (-100) doggue is not very well liked. (-100)
    I remember the first day I really trained legs HARD, back when I was a teen. The next few days were living hell. I had to call my girlfriend and say her that I wasnt able to see her haha

allender1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Reminds me of when I was working out casually and decided to hit calves for the first time ever. This ended up being one of two what I guess I'd call 'mind over matter' experiences. I put on some of my favourite music (a 24 minute track..) and did slow unweighted calf raises for its entirety. I felt it but not that much. The next day was much similar to your experience but lasted for 3 weeks. Pretty sure I tore the muscles. I still think 24 minutes of that is damn impressive...Seen as I've been working out more seriously for a few months and when I try this again can only make around 4 minutes.
    The other time was 15 minutes situps to music instead of my usual 3.