jourdanc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jourdanc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jourdanc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jourdanc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jourdanc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Correcting form on squats - not flexible enough?

Hi guys,

I've been critiqued a few times for not arching my back enough during squats. Often I do it with a flat back or a very minor arch. I'm told that the way to correct it is to stick my ass out more when i descend, but I can't do this even with little/no weights.

I've been doing squats for about a year now and it doesn't seem to be getting any better (though thankfully not getting worse either).

What do I need to do to improve my form on this? I've tried doing some stretches, particularly hamstring stretches because I thought that was the problem.

Has anyone managed to correct this problem? Thanks, guys!

Real World Boxing Advice djartek's Avatar
    djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) djartek is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Read the thread, do the drills, do the stretches, put in your time and effort and you will have results.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?p=566138063
    Youtube.com/PalacBoxing
    I'll answer your boxing and combat questions. Just PM me
    "Patience, persistence, determination, and an unstoppable drive to be better than yesterday."

jourdanc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jourdanc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jourdanc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jourdanc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jourdanc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

Thanks very much for your reply. I've been reading through your post, it's very informative and was just what I was looking for. I've got to give those mobility drills a go. Thanks

Location: N.Ireland - Scotland, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matt297 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Make sure you are sitting back and not 'dropping down'. shove the knees out and keep the chest up.

http://thecellfitness.files.wordpres...2_rippetoe.pdf
    "Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way round or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves…" - Dao de Ching

The biggest secret in life is not that we go through life discovering ourselves but that we go through life creating our selves. Think about that.

OMX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OMX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OMX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OMX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OMX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OMX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OMX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OMX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OMX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OMX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OMX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Jourdanc,

It took me about 6 weeks of stretching 3 times a week to correct lower back rounding for parallel squats and about another 6 weeks before I could do full Olympic style squats without rounding my lower back. I kept squatting in the interim but only in the range of motion that was safe at the time. I focussed on stretching the following muscles using PNF passive stretching techniques: hamstrings, calves, addductors, glutes, hip flexors, quads.

McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50) McJimmie will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jourdanc View Post
    Hi guys,

I've been critiqued a few times for not arching my back enough during squats. Often I do it with a flat back or a very minor arch. I'm told that the way to correct it is to stick my ass out more when i descend, but I can't do this even with little/no weights.

I've been doing squats for about a year now and it doesn't seem to be getting any better (though thankfully not getting worse either).

What do I need to do to improve my form on this? I've tried doing some stretches, particularly hamstring stretches because I thought that was the problem.

Has anyone managed to correct this problem? Thanks, guys!
    Also try overhead squats and front squats, which you will find it almost impossible unless your form is better !

And keep up the stretching exercises.
    because fitness isn't coincidence