Registered User BarcodeKiller89's Avatar
    BarcodeKiller89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BarcodeKiller89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BarcodeKiller89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BarcodeKiller89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BarcodeKiller89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BarcodeKiller89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BarcodeKiller89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BarcodeKiller89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BarcodeKiller89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BarcodeKiller89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BarcodeKiller89 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Is it possible to get to 15% bodyfat in 6 months without counting calories?

So currently I am 5'11" 205lbs and 25.6% bodyfat. I am going to be deployed for 196 days tomorrow. I have spent the last 4 months straight hitting the gym hard and I have made some excellent improvements to my overall strength (when I started I was barely able to do 1 rep of 135 on the bench now I can do 3x10 of it). I decided that I dont want to take these 6 months I get for granted. I am being deployed as a Firefighter so I am basically going to be able to eat, sleep, train for 196 days. The two main problems I have is 1) I am going to be eating mess food the whole time. I will be eating as proper as I can but people in the military know that sometimes you really dont know what is in the food your eating and 2) I can count anything from the mess. At first I thought about using the time to just bulk like crazy but I am really at a point where my gains that I am getting isnt outweighing my unhappiness at how fat I am.

My question to you guys is, is it possible? I would have to lose 2.5% bodyfat a week. I am using a Fitbit Aria scale to tell me my percentage so I dont know how accurate it is. I uploaded a bunch of pre-deployment photos so I can see how I progressed during my time but I cant post them. So I may actually have a higher bf% then I think.

My plan is to do two-a-days with cardio in the morning and weights in the afternoon/evening plus they run sports throughout the week like basketball and floor hockey which will allow me to get the cardio in.

I have been using my Fitbit and myfitnesspal to basically allow me to gain a lb a week for the past few months which has been awesome and I was going to use the same idea to cut BUT because I cant count calories I dont really now how to utilize my fitbit yet to help me cut.

Thanks for the help

taiooo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taiooo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taiooo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taiooo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taiooo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taiooo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taiooo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taiooo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taiooo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taiooo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taiooo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you want to lose fat, you need a calorie deficit : calorie out (what you burn) > calorie in (what you eat). So you have to count.

Now... What means counting ? You don't need to weigh everything, you can substitute with common objects. For example, 1 glass of rice is xxx lbs, 1 spoon of oil is xxx lbs, size of your palm is xxx lbs of meat, etc... I done it and I lose fat, I'm close to my objective, 5kgs remaining. I started at your level of fat (around 25%) and I think I'm around 18% atm. So you can start your diet like that and you will see if that goes well.

Furthermore, I don't know how is your mess or company restaurant in your country but, in mine, they must check their menus by a dietician and show on the wall with average calories per portion. So, maybe you can ask the "chef" if he has this kind of informations.

FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You need to lose ~27 lbs over 25 weeks so that is pretty doable. Not being able to count exact calories makes it hard but you should be able to get pretty close by eye balling portion sizes. Throw in adjustments along the way (weight doesn't drop, work on eating less the next week) and you can make progress. It isn't ideal but you have to play the cards you were delt. Use common sense (i.e. hoards of butter and sauces can really up calorie counts) and you should be fine. It might be hard to hit protein goals depending on what you get for food. If you had a bit more time, I would tell you to weight out 6oz chicken, steak, hamburger, rice, and potatoes to get a good overview of what things look like.

tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Man this is one time I recommend Intermittent fasting. I did a year backpacking and spent 2 months working and living in a hostel. the only out time I had was to the gym at midnight 5 days a week. I had basically nothing. Only a hob and about 3 cubic feet of fridge space to cook and a hostel bar which did food.

Intermittent fasting such as 5:2 plan or 4:3 essentially makes sure you get a weekly deficit by severely limiting kcal over 2 or three days a week, infact I personally didnt eat for 24 hours on my "fast days" ate a tiny high protein meal of about 600kcal in the evening then ate normal food/out the hostel bar in the evening on the other days. It took off a load of weight and was well easy to maintain whilst workin a hectic job without having to take time out to weigh everything
    1/1/15: 93kg
    19/6/15 78.5kg
    27/6/15: 77kg
    3/7/15: after pre psmf 280g carb up: 76.5
    24/7/15 72.5kg (post psmf)
    6/8/15 71.25kg
    Goal:
    68kg or 30" waist, whichever comes first.
    Just keeping going, eating clean, training mean and getting lean ;)

Weight loss = (calories in < calories expended) x time, simple.

dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by tombaron View Post
    Man this is one time I recommend Intermittent fasting. I did a year backpacking and spent 2 months working and living in a hostel. the only out time I had was to the gym at midnight 5 days a week. I had basically nothing. Only a hob and about 3 cubic feet of fridge space to cook and a hostel bar which did food.

Intermittent fasting such as 5:2 plan or 4:3 essentially makes sure you get a weekly deficit by severely limiting kcal over 2 or three days a week, infact I personally didnt eat for 24 hours on my "fast days" ate a tiny high protein meal of about 600kcal in the evening then ate normal food/out the hostel bar in the evening on the other days. It took off a load of weight and was well easy to maintain whilst workin a hectic job without having to take time out to weigh everything
    This is a terrible plan.

tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50) tombaron will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by dipatel13 View Post
    This is a terrible plan.
    You say that... but you hold no decent argument why it is, I wasn't making out its special in any way. I was making out it was an adaptation to a difficult situation. If you knew anything about cutting you'd know calorie deficit over time is the only way to lose fat.

truth is its easier to hit protein macros cutting the same amount of kcal each day but its also very easy to overeat when you have no scales. Its much easier to keep a deficit going intermittent fasting and you can still hit daily protein macros. Its adapting to deal with difficult circumstances
    1/1/15: 93kg
    19/6/15 78.5kg
    27/6/15: 77kg
    3/7/15: after pre psmf 280g carb up: 76.5
    24/7/15 72.5kg (post psmf)
    6/8/15 71.25kg
    Goal:
    68kg or 30" waist, whichever comes first.
    Just keeping going, eating clean, training mean and getting lean ;)

Weight loss = (calories in < calories expended) x time, simple.

taiooo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taiooo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taiooo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taiooo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taiooo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taiooo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taiooo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taiooo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taiooo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taiooo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taiooo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Why not ? If you fast 1 day every week, it's a weekly deficit of 14%... It's not stupid in my opinion. I have already read similar thing on internet but I can't remember the website... Aragon maybe...

@tombaron, it's your idea ? Or do you have a ressource for us please ?

DarGwynn will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarGwynn will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarGwynn will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarGwynn will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarGwynn will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarGwynn will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarGwynn will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarGwynn will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarGwynn will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarGwynn will become famous soon enough. (+50) DarGwynn will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Trial and error. I don't weigh my food when I cut. I'm just eyeballing and use guesstimate with online resources. If my weigh loss stalls, I just reduce my calorie by slightly eating less.

The galley/mess in my base also displays the nutrition information.
    US Navy Brah
    *Get aesthetic or die mirin' crew*
    *Chipotle double chicken crew*
    *Cutting with fast food crew*

B: 225
    S: 405
    D: too much of a ******* to do deads

Registered User BarcodeKiller89's Avatar
    BarcodeKiller89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BarcodeKiller89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BarcodeKiller89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BarcodeKiller89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BarcodeKiller89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BarcodeKiller89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BarcodeKiller89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BarcodeKiller89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BarcodeKiller89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BarcodeKiller89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) BarcodeKiller89 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by DarGwynn View Post
    The galley/mess in my base also displays the nutrition information.
    Really wish mine did. Most bases i've gone to have no idea what is in their food nutrition wise. Normally I get lucky and I see a cook who looks jacked and I ask him(or her) and I can get a rough idea. But thats rare.

FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FT1973 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by taiooo View Post
    Why not ? If you fast 1 day every week, it's a weekly deficit of 14%... It's not stupid in my opinion. I have already read similar thing on internet but I can't remember the website... Aragon maybe...

@tombaron, it's your idea ? Or do you have a ressource for us please ?
    You get a 14% deficit if and only if that one day of fasting doesn't change what you eat on any other day. That assumption is unlikely to hold true for most people. If you measure your food, you can adjust to make sure you have a weekly deficit. The results of fasting studies that limit food intake on nonfasting days are noticeably better than the couple that didn't limit eating. Fasting is a tool not a panacea.