MuscleMigraine is not very helpful. (-500) MuscleMigraine is not very helpful. (-500) MuscleMigraine is not very helpful. (-500) MuscleMigraine is not very helpful. (-500) MuscleMigraine is not very helpful. (-500) MuscleMigraine is not very helpful. (-500) MuscleMigraine is not very helpful. (-500) MuscleMigraine is not very helpful. (-500) MuscleMigraine is not very helpful. (-500) MuscleMigraine is not very helpful. (-500) MuscleMigraine is not very helpful. (-500)

Powerlifting Vs. Bodybuilding training

I've been training for about a year and slowly and subconsciously I realize my training has turned into more powerlifting than bodybuilding. Not necessarily the sets and reps but more the mindset. I focus more on going as heavy as possible versus the mind muscle connection.

As a result I'm always getting complements on my strength, and how strong am I for my size, but never on my size.

I am pretty small with barely 14" arms flexed

Any tips for going back to more bodybuilding style training?

Thanks

barny35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barny35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barny35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barny35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barny35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barny35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barny35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barny35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barny35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barny35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barny35 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I used to be a powerlifter, but i train lighter now. I probably train with about half the weight that i could if i wanted to throw it up. My suggestion is cutting the wight you're using down by 25-50 percent and make all of your movements slow. flex your working muscle as much as you can at the top of your movement and slowly release the flex when you go down. That's how I do 95% of my training. It's a lot easier on my joints. I'm in this for the long run so i gotta keep them in good shape. I usually do about 10-15 very slow and controlled reps.
    Instagram: jacobjbarnhart
    Twitter: jacobjbarnhart
    ********: jacobjbarnhart

MuscleMigraine is not very helpful. (-500) MuscleMigraine is not very helpful. (-500) MuscleMigraine is not very helpful. (-500) MuscleMigraine is not very helpful. (-500) MuscleMigraine is not very helpful. (-500) MuscleMigraine is not very helpful. (-500) MuscleMigraine is not very helpful. (-500) MuscleMigraine is not very helpful. (-500) MuscleMigraine is not very helpful. (-500) MuscleMigraine is not very helpful. (-500) MuscleMigraine is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by barny35 View Post
    I used to be a powerlifter, but i train lighter now. I probably train with about half the weight that i could if i wanted to throw it up. My suggestion is cutting the wight you're using down by 25-50 percent and make all of your movements slow. flex your working muscle as much as you can at the top of your movement and slowly release the flex when you go down. That's how I do 95% of my training. It's a lot easier on my joints. I'm in this for the long run so i gotta keep them in good shape. I usually do about 10-15 very slow and controlled reps.
    Thanks man, thats helpful. Even for something like bench press though? I only put up 225 lbs, that would be like 55-115 lbs

bcim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bcim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bcim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bcim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bcim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bcim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bcim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bcim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bcim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bcim has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bcim has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by MuscleMigraine View Post
    Thanks man, thats helpful. Even for something like bench press though? I only put up 225 lbs, that would be like 55-115 lbs
    Cutting it down 25-50 percent would be like 112.5 - 168 or so

CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500) CupcakeSquats is not very helpful. (-500)
    I never understood this mind muscle connection stuff. If I'm not focusing on my muscles to move the weight, but simply moving the weight, does that mean I'm not using muscles to move the weight? In that case, what's moving the weight?

Example, if I was doing proper curls but didn't think about contracting my biceps, does that mean they're not contracting? Well something has to be moving the weight, so what is it?

Not trying to start anything, genuinely curious.
    My log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=154949233

Nitsua24 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nitsua24 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nitsua24 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nitsua24 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nitsua24 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nitsua24 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nitsua24 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nitsua24 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nitsua24 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nitsua24 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nitsua24 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by CupcakeSquats View Post
    I never understood this mind muscle connection stuff. If I'm not focusing on my muscles to move the weight, but simply moving the weight, does that mean I'm not using muscles to move the weight? In that case, what's moving the weight?

Example, if I was doing proper curls but didn't think about contracting my biceps, does that mean they're not contracting? Well something has to be moving the weight, so what is it?

Not trying to start anything, genuinely curious.
    I think it applies more to compound movements. If you're bench pressing, it's one thing to push the weight, and it's another to squeeze the crap out of your chest while doing so. If you're actively flexing the targeted body part hard, it gets worked harder. That's the mind-muscle connection. Or a better example, pull-ups. The "mind-muscle connection" would be to squeeze your lats and pull your elbows down to maximize lat activation and minimize bicep activation. I've taught myself to do this for some body parts, and I'm not good at it yet for others.

barny35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barny35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barny35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barny35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barny35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barny35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barny35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barny35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barny35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barny35 is on a distinguished road. (+10) barny35 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    For now, 115, would be okay. I do alot of mine only at 135 and sometimes less. I just focus on flexing as much as i can. Especially with dumbells, it's so easy to flex at the top.

DdotT is just really nice. (+1000) DdotT is just really nice. (+1000) DdotT is just really nice. (+1000) DdotT is just really nice. (+1000) DdotT is just really nice. (+1000) DdotT is just really nice. (+1000) DdotT is just really nice. (+1000) DdotT is just really nice. (+1000) DdotT is just really nice. (+1000) DdotT is just really nice. (+1000) DdotT is just really nice. (+1000)
    You're 18 and used to be a powerlifter? Wow you must be an elite athlete to have became a power lifter then after getting bored and turning to bodybuilding srs?.

And OP try having alternating between strength and hypertrophy days.

Originally Posted by DdotT View Post
    You're 18 and used to be a powerlifter? Wow you must be an elite athlete to have became a power lifter then after getting bored and turning to bodybuilding srs?.

And OP try having alternating between strength and hypertrophy days.
    lols. i stopped powerlifting this year after state. Even though i did more bodybuilding style workout anyway.

DdotT is just really nice. (+1000) DdotT is just really nice. (+1000) DdotT is just really nice. (+1000) DdotT is just really nice. (+1000) DdotT is just really nice. (+1000) DdotT is just really nice. (+1000) DdotT is just really nice. (+1000) DdotT is just really nice. (+1000) DdotT is just really nice. (+1000) DdotT is just really nice. (+1000) DdotT is just really nice. (+1000)
    lols. i stopped powerlifting this year after state. Even though i did more bodybuilding style workout anyway.
    I found your twitter and while you look in excellent shape, if you were such a successful power lifter why not continue?

Originally Posted by DdotT View Post
    I found your twitter and while you look in excellent shape, if you were such a successful power lifter why not continue?
    three main reasons:
    1. Bodybuilding is a much bigger sport
    2. Bodybuilding is much more challenging
    3. After highschool, all of the powerlifting federations are jokes. There was never any competition. I won every meet i went to by default:/