Closed Thread
Page 100 of 148 FirstFirst ... 50 90 98 99 100 101 102 110 ... LastLast
Results 2,971 to 3,000 of 4423
    House86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) House86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) House86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) House86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) House86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) House86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) House86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) House86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) House86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) House86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) House86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Good to know.

subversive is on a distinguished road. (+10) subversive is on a distinguished road. (+10) subversive is on a distinguished road. (+10) subversive is on a distinguished road. (+10) subversive is on a distinguished road. (+10) subversive is on a distinguished road. (+10) subversive is on a distinguished road. (+10) subversive is on a distinguished road. (+10) subversive is on a distinguished road. (+10) subversive is on a distinguished road. (+10) subversive is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    THIS IS AN AWESOME THREAD.

Spent the day reading parts 1&2 and have learnt a hell of a lot.
    im running around 260lbs at 6'0 with 37%bf
    so my lbm is around 160ish
    so 160 gms protein if im right
    i plan on working out 4-5 times a week with kb's rather than trad weights alternating between 16kg and 24kg bells
    my question is on carbs whats the best type like rice or what and optimal time to eat them,
    im thinking of getting one of the weight loss stacks to help with calorie intake am aiming for around 1900 a day
    i am still figuring this out so any help would be appreciated
    thanks
    Better to Die on your feet
    than live on your knees
    Psalm 18:32-34 the God who equipped me with strength and made my way blameless. He made my feet like the feet of a deer and set me secure on the heights. He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

in a world built on rules iDrive's Avatar
    iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by subversive View Post
    my question is on carbs whats the best type like rice or what and optimal time to eat them,
    There is no "best" type. More fiberous carbs tend to keep you fuller longer (i.e. wheat products vs potatoes)
    There is no "optimal" time.

Did you actually read both part 1 and 2...?

im thinking of getting one of the weight loss stacks to help with calorie intake
    Not stuffing your face also helps with calorie intake..
    buy a weight loss stack and your wallet will lose more weight than you.

i am aiming for around 1900 a day
    You could probably get away with more but go for it and adjust per rule 3.
    You don't try to build a wall.
    You don't set out to build a wall.
    You don't say, "I'm going to build the biggest, baddest, greatest wall that's ever been built!".
    You don't start there.

You say, "I'm going to lay this brick as perfectly as a brick can be laid.".
    You do that every single day, and soon you'll have a wall.

Dycfer is not very well liked. (-100) Dycfer is not very well liked. (-100) Dycfer is not very well liked. (-100) Dycfer is not very well liked. (-100) Dycfer is not very well liked. (-100) Dycfer is not very well liked. (-100) Dycfer is not very well liked. (-100) Dycfer is not very well liked. (-100) Dycfer is not very well liked. (-100) Dycfer is not very well liked. (-100) Dycfer is not very well liked. (-100)
    Good guide. Will follow it soon

subversive is on a distinguished road. (+10) subversive is on a distinguished road. (+10) subversive is on a distinguished road. (+10) subversive is on a distinguished road. (+10) subversive is on a distinguished road. (+10) subversive is on a distinguished road. (+10) subversive is on a distinguished road. (+10) subversive is on a distinguished road. (+10) subversive is on a distinguished road. (+10) subversive is on a distinguished road. (+10) subversive is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for the reply have been dubious about the benefits of "stacks".

Originally Posted by iDrive View Post
    There is no "best" type. More fiberous carbs tend to keep you fuller longer (i.e. wheat products vs potatoes)
    There is no "optimal" time.

Did you actually read both part 1 and 2...?

Not stuffing your face also helps with calorie intake..
    buy a weight loss stack and your wallet will lose more weight than you.

You could probably get away with more but go for it and adjust per rule 3.
    Better to Die on your feet
    than live on your knees
    Psalm 18:32-34 the God who equipped me with strength and made my way blameless. He made my feet like the feet of a deer and set me secure on the heights. He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread. There is a lot of good and useful information here. Since September I have managed to drop from 185 to 159 and bf has gone from around 24-26 to now being roughly between 15-16%. There was a great quote a couple of pages back that said we will eventually realize that when we get to our target weight it will not reflect in the mirror what we expected and will need to lose more. This is me now. I'm still extremely motivated to continue on my cut and plan to do so until I get to 11-12% bf. I lift as heavy as I can with Presses, Military, Squats and Deads in there for sure. Cardio is minimal now but I do HIIT when I do, usually no more than 2x per week.

Stats:

Height: 5'7
    Started Nov 2011: 215 lbs
    Joined MFP Sep 2012: 185 lbs
    Current weight: 159
    BF% - 15-16
    Intake:
    Cals: 1930, 190-95P, 140-150C, 60-70F

I have not adjusted my calories in at least 6 weeks and feel I need to up it maybe 100-150 per day more. I do tons of reading and am looking for some opinions on my distribution. If all calculations are correct I'm taking in around 60g in protein more than my min requires, is going to 200-210 daily just overkill for me. I enjoy having my carbs where they are and am not looking to adjust them, would that be detrimental to my goals? My fats, I can comfortably get in 60g sometimes even 70g but if I were to adjust it to close to 80g that's substantially more than .45 of my LBM, is that going to have a negative effect on fat loss?

I have taken great strides in my health and research a lot but still consider myself a noob and this thread has a lot of smart people in it giving advice and I'm always looking for some.

I added 2 pics, 1 from Sep 2012 the 2nd last week. 3 months of progress. Any suggestions on how to take myself to the next level would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by MrM27; 01-23-2013 at 06:49 AM.

Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by MrM27 View Post
    I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread. There is a lot of good and useful information here. Since September I have managed to drop from 185 to 159 and bf has gone from around 24-26 to now being roughly between 15-16%. There was a great quote a couple of pages back that said we will eventually realize that when we get to our target weight it will not reflect in the mirror what we expected and will need to lose more. This is me now. I'm still extremely motivated to continue on my cut and plan to do so until I get to 11-12% bf. I lift as heavy as I can with Presses, Military, Squats and Deads in there for sure. Cardio is minimal now but I do HIIT when I do, usually no more than 2x per week.

Stats:

Height: 5'7
    Started Nov 2011: 215 lbs
    Joined MFP Sep 2012: 185 lbs
    Current weight: 159
    BF% - 15-16
    Intake:
    Cals: 1930, 190-95P, 140-150C, 60-70F

I have not adjusted my calories in at least 6 weeks and feel I need to up it maybe 100-150 per day more. I do tons of reading and am looking for some opinions on my distribution. If all calculations are correct I'm taking in around 60g in protein more than my min requires, is going to 200-210 daily just overkill for me. I enjoy having my carbs where they are and am not looking to adjust them, would that be detrimental to my goals? My fats, I can comfortably get in 60g sometimes even 70g but if I were to adjust it to close to 80g that's substantially more than .45 of my LBM, is that going to have a negative effect on fat loss?

I have taken great strides in my health and research a lot but still consider myself a noob and this thread has a lot of smart people in it giving advice and I'm always looking for some.

I added 2 pics, 1 from Sep 2012 the 2nd last week. 3 months of progress. Any suggestions on how to take myself to the next level would be greatly appreciated.
    Great job on your on going transformation!

I think when figuring out your specific macro's it is best to experiment. Stay consistent in the changes you make over about a 3 week period and evaluate your progress regarding weight loss or gain, appearance , energy levels etc.

I was reading an article on bulking the other day and it talks about macro's using the analogy of building a house. Thought it might be something you would enjoy reading based on your above post.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_..._about_bulking
    Weighed - 281 lbs on 1/1/2012

▪█───────█▪ 6 Weeks to Shred ▪█───────█▪

6-8: 230.4 | 6-15: xxx.x | 6-22: xxx.x | 6-29: xxx.x | | Month Total: x.x lbs
    7-6: xxx.x | 7-13: xxx.x | 7-20: xxx.x || Month Total: 0.0 lbs
    Final Total: xxx.x lbs

~NitrogenWidget's One Year in the Green Crew - Feb 2012-Feb 2013~ = 76 lbs lost

~Army Veteran Crew~

elgatito71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) elgatito71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) elgatito71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) elgatito71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) elgatito71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) elgatito71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) elgatito71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) elgatito71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) elgatito71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) elgatito71 will become famous soon enough. (+50) elgatito71 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by subversive View Post
    THIS IS AN AWESOME THREAD.

Spent the day reading parts 1&2 and have learnt a hell of a lot.
    im running around 260lbs at 6'0 with 37%bf
    so my lbm is around 160ish
    so 160 gms protein if im right
    i plan on working out 4-5 times a week with kb's rather than trad weights alternating between 16kg and 24kg bells
    im thinking of getting one of the weight loss stacks to help with calorie intake am aiming for around 1900 a day
    i am still figuring this out so any help would be appreciated
    thanks
    1900 its to low for you weight try to figure out what it's your maintenance and subtract 500
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=655657063&posted=1#post655657063 = first cut back in 2010

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153696761&p=1064656001#post1064656001 = second cut 2013

iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Skullster View Post

I think when figuring out your specific macro's it is best to experiment. Stay consistent in the changes you make over about a 3 week period and evaluate your progress regarding weight loss or gain, appearance , energy levels etc.

I was reading an article on bulking the other day and it talks about macro's using the analogy of building a house. Thought it might be something you would enjoy reading based on your above post.

I literally only read the 2nd section "An Analogy" and I 100% agree that that is exactly his problem

MrM27
    The only* way to take it to the "next level" is through time.

Consistency, over time. Progress, over time. If you're doing everything right the only thing you can do is keep putting in work day in and day out and you will eventually grow (or lose) into the body you want.

*There's actually 2 ways but the latter involves sticking a needle in your butt
    You don't say, "I'm going to build the biggest, baddest, greatest wall that's ever been built!".
    You don't start there.

MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) MrM27 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I literally only read the 2nd section "An Analogy" and I 100% agree that that is exactly his problem

MrM27
    The only* way to take it to the "next level" is through time.

Consistency, over time. Progress, over time. If you're doing everything right the only thing you can do is keep putting in work day in and day out and you will eventually grow (or lose) into the body you want.

*There's actually 2 ways but the latter involves sticking a needle in your butt
    Thank you for your response. I'm definitely patient and in no rush to lean down to my goal. I will continue on as you suggest and will keep my macros consistent with what I have now after I increase my calories next week. I just always question myself that's why I posted my concern.

Sorry if I just rambled in my post and stuff but my concern wasn't how do I get bigger faster or leaner faster. It was regarding proper macro distribution and if my thinking was way off.

As far as needles....uh no need for that ever.

Thank you sir
    Last edited by MrM27; 01-23-2013 at 12:09 PM.

Thank you for the article. I did find it very interesting. I took some good points from it for my cut even though it was a bulking article.

Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Woa that made me rethink my cutting goals. Was originally going to cut down to 150lbs and then go on a clean bulk, but perhaps cutting down to 130 and going on a slow sustained bulk would be better. Gonna have to read up a lot more on bulking.

Originally Posted by MrM27 View Post
    my concern wasn't how do I get bigger faster or leaner faster. It was regarding proper macro distribution and if my thinking was way off.
    I understand.

I was saying there's no "next level" as in when you get to a certain stage you need to start re-distributing your macros or change up your workout routine. The "next level" is only reached through putting in work consistently day in day out.

If you were to think it in terms of levels and level 1 was a beginner and level 5 was an expert you can't go from 1-5 overnight or even over the course of months. It takes years.

Originally Posted by Vaylor View Post
    Woa that made me rethink my cutting goals. Was originally going to cut down to 150lbs and then go on a clean bulk, but perhaps cutting down to 130 and going on a slow sustained bulk would be better. Gonna have to read up a lot more on bulking.
    "Bulk" is just another word for "get fat"

Get lean, stay lean, build muscle.
    You don't start there.

Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Skullster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Didn't really want to post a bulking article in a fat loss thread but I thought the construction analogy was on point for why we need so much protein when we are dropping the pounds.

"Bulk" is just another word for "get fat"

Get lean, stay lean, build muscle.
    So much truth there!

So much so that when I finally stop my weight loss phase I am going to spend a few weeks or more making sure I find my caloric maintenance level to stay at one weight level consistently before I up the calories. I do want to build muscle instead of simply maintain it and do it with adding as little fat stores as possible no matter how long it takes.

I'm almost on the verge of being scared to eat more / bulk because of how long it took to get rid of the excess fat in the first freakin place.

~Army Veteran Crew~

Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Vaylor will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What are your thoughts on this bulking article:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...mass-gain.html

What are your thoughts on this bulking article:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...mass-gain.html
    I think Lyle is spot on! I had read that article sometime ago and even have it bookmarked but forgot about it. I prefer to take that approach rather than either of the extremes he described. I am in this more for my health and appearance than being in it for how strong and what iron numbers I can post up. That's not to say I don't enjoy lifting because I do actually. I am just not obsessed with how much weight I can squat or how strong I am compared to others as much as I want to "look good" and, even more importantly, feel good.

I have been tracking my bodyfat % using the measurement (tape) method here; http://www.linear-software.com/online.html

I started out at 37% and now I am @ 11.5% per that method. Just used one of those handheld electric impedance things in my Kinesiology class and it informed me I am 25%! Slight blow to the ego but I call BS on it. They said it had 4% margin of error. Another guy slimmer than me but showing no signs of even a 4 pack and it told him he was @ 7%. I really want to get to a six pack (it's starting to appear) but Lyle suggests in the article of going no lower than 10% for the average trainee before switching it up and going no higher than 15% on the upper side. So the question now becomes who or what do you believe is the best way to determine BF% levels to kind of fit those parameters?

~Army Veteran Crew~

I think Lyle is spot on! I had read that article sometime ago and even have it bookmarked but forgot about it. I prefer to take that approach rather than either of the extremes he described. I am in this more for my health and appearance than being in it for how strong and what iron numbers I can post up. That's not to say I don't enjoy lifting because I do actually. I am just not obsessed with how much weight I can squat or how strong I am compared to others as much as I want to "look good" and, even more importantly, feel good.

I have been tracking my bodyfat % using the measurement (tape) method here; http://www.linear-software.com/online.html

I started out at 37% and now I am @ 11.5% per that method. Just used one of those handheld electric impedance things in my Kinesiology class and it informed me I am 25%! Slight blow to the ego but I call BS on it. They said it had 4% margin of error. Another guy slimmer than me but showing no signs of even a 4 pack and it told him he was @ 7%. I really want to get to a six pack (it's starting to appear) but Lyle suggests in the article of going no lower than 10% for the average trainee before switching it up and going no higher than 15% on the upper side. So the question now becomes who or what do you believe is the best way to determine BF% levels to kind of fit those parameters?
    Pretty Sure DXA scans and Hydrostatic weighing are the most accurate you can get.

wonkers is on a distinguished road. (+10) wonkers is on a distinguished road. (+10) wonkers is on a distinguished road. (+10) wonkers is on a distinguished road. (+10) wonkers is on a distinguished road. (+10) wonkers is on a distinguished road. (+10) wonkers is on a distinguished road. (+10) wonkers is on a distinguished road. (+10) wonkers is on a distinguished road. (+10) wonkers is on a distinguished road. (+10) wonkers is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    monitoring for three weeks with no change as Wavelength suggests seems a bit excessive. i'd keep it for a week and if not change then adjust from there unless my diet for that week was all over the place or otherwise abnormal. anyone feel the same? (in my case i am referring to someone on a cut)

Originally Posted by wonkers View Post
    monitoring for three weeks with no change as Wavelength suggests seems a bit excessive. i'd keep it for a week and if not change then adjust from there unless my diet for that week was all over the place or otherwise abnormal. anyone feel the same? (in my case i am referring to someone on a cut)
    And you would be doing it wrong. The reason for 3 weeks is to account for typical body weight fluctuations. Unfortunately weight loss doesn't progress in some nice linear fashion.

Here is a better explanation:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat...uishy-fat.html

wonkers is on a distinguished road. (+10) wonkers is on a distinguished road. (+10) wonkers is on a distinguished road. (+10) wonkers is on a distinguished road. (+10) wonkers is on a distinguished road. (+10) wonkers is on a distinguished road. (+10) wonkers is on a distinguished road. (+10) wonkers is on a distinguished road. (+10) wonkers is on a distinguished road. (+10) wonkers is on a distinguished road. (+10) wonkers is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    And you would be doing it wrong. The reason for 3 weeks is to account for typical body weight fluctuations. Unfortunately weight loss doesn't progress in some nice linear fashion.
    fair point taken. i think, though, that you can have more linearity if you tend to stick to the same foods e.g. oatmeal and fruit for your main carbs, chicken breast and protein powder for your protein, etc.

fair point taken. i think, though, that you can have more linearity if you tend to stick to the same foods e.g. oatmeal and fruit for your main carbs, chicken breast and protein powder for your protein, etc.
    Eating the same foods every day would be really boring. I would rather just weigh myself once a month.

vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10) vlad11 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey guys.

Anyone here doing/has done the "Kris Gethin 12 Week Transformation" (BB.com guy) ?

I am asking because this guy focuses a lot on things that are listed here as unessential (supplements, cardio, meal timing, types of foods).

The thing that i found surprising is that he excluded milk (lactose) and any fruits (fructose) from the diet and i can't seem to understand why (I think he mentions briefly about burning those carbs instead of the stored fats but I'm not sure). He sticks to whole wheat pasta, sweet potatoes , brown rice , oats and green veggies for carbs (Low GI carbs maybe ? ). I know, i know, it's not the topic of this thread, but there are a lot of knowledgeable guys here that could answer that.

I am on this 12 week program (starting Week 4) ,but i only follow some of his concepts, along with the main 3 ones listed in this thread:

1) Workouts + Cardio (Makes me feel better + bonus expended calories ); he has a video for every day of the 12 weeks and keeps you motivated.
    2) Low GI carbs for longer sustained energy + health benefits ??

Thanks!

poizonx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How do I know if I'm gaining fat or muscles? I've been doing this for 2 weeks, working out twice a week with weights and I've gained 3 lbs? I don't know if that's fat or muscles.. I can't really tell in my waist when I look in the mirror.

Originally Posted by poizonx View Post
    How do I know if I'm gaining fat or muscles? I've been doing this for 2 weeks, working out twice a week with weights and I've gained 3 lbs? I don't know if that's fat or muscles.. I can't really tell in my waist when I look in the mirror.
    4. Buy a kitchen scale and weigh everything that you eat.
    5. Count calories using a site like MyFitnessPal. Here's how to count properly.

poizonx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    4. Buy a kitchen scale and weigh everything that you eat.
    5. Count calories using a site

Thanks, but how does this tell me if I've gained fat or muscle?

Originally Posted by poizonx View Post
    Thanks, but how does this tell me if I've gained fat or muscle?
    It doesn't! But I can guarantee that you probably gained both! If your diet is 100% spot on perfect you have average to good genetics you can probably gain about 1/2 a pound of muscle per week. So in only two weeks with a three pound gain perhaps you gained 1 lb of LBM and two pounds of fat/water weight.

~Army Veteran Crew~

You would think so but that's not always the case. Time of day, what you had to drink, the amount of salt you've consumed, rotation of the earth.. so many variables... you could freak out and adjust week to week but stress can also affect your weight

Originally Posted by vlad11 View Post
    I am asking because this guy focuses a lot on things that are listed here as unessential (supplements, cardio, meal timing, types of foods).

The thing that i found surprising is that he excluded milk (lactose) and any fruits (fructose) from the diet and i can't seem to understand why I know, i know, it's not the topic of this thread, but there are a lot of knowledgeable guys here that could answer that.
    Old dogma's die hard...

There's nothing evil about lactose or fructose and actually a lot of the vitamins and minerals in both are probably very beneficial. That being said there also is nothing essential about either of them.

1) Workouts + Cardio (Makes me feel better + bonus expended calories ); he has a video for every day of the 12 weeks and keeps you motivated.
    2) Low GI carbs for longer sustained energy + health benefits ??
    Lifting with weights is obviously good. Cardio is also good if you're into it.
    Low GI/High GI doesn't really make a difference

It doesn't! But I can guarantee that you probably gained both! If your diet is 100% spot on perfect you have average to good genetics you can probably gain about 1/2 a pound of muscle per week. So in only two weeks with a three pound gain perhaps you gained 1 lb of LBM and two pounds of fat/water weight.
    There are not enough reps, sir.
    You don't start there.

SaunaOfPeace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SaunaOfPeace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SaunaOfPeace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SaunaOfPeace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SaunaOfPeace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SaunaOfPeace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SaunaOfPeace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SaunaOfPeace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SaunaOfPeace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Is it essential to reach your macro goals? I see nothing about getting adequate carbs and fat in the guide.

Indurate has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Short term fix, Go on a contest prep diet.
    Long term, there is no way to directly control how much water weight you're carrying.

I'd advise you ween yourself off of it.

This is more valuable information than whatever a scale will tell you.

See above. There are better, more rational, ways of gauging progress.
    I completely agree. In highschool I was a wrestler, and one time to make weight I chewed gum and spat throughout the day. I lost over 3 pounds, but it wasn't a good method of weight loss. If you aren't used to weight training, and start, you might slim down and put a bit of weight on at the same time. What you ate the day before can vary your weight on the scale by 2+ pounds. Taking your weight every week at the same time is a good idea, but a much better approach is going beyond the lazy approach of relying solely on numbers and concentrating on body composition. I could lose 20 pounds and a lot of muscle, and end up with the same percentage of body fat I had when I started. This approach might make clothes fit more loosely on you, but won't improve your appearance much when out of them.

Closed Thread