Closed Thread
Page 7 of 148 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 57 107 ... LastLast
    RaulCG2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So should I cut even more? I already feel kinda weak at 1200-1400 calories...

sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I would keep the overall calories the same and carb cycle
    Intensity, Recovery, Nutrition, Sleep- the only things that matter.

Nemezule has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question on losing fat

First off, this thread is extremely helpful and contains some great information.

My question is this: I am 6'0" and 156 pounds. I used to weigh almost 240 about 10-12 years ago and still have a pretty flabby stomach. I have been lifting for a couple of months and gaining strength but see no difference in my stomach.

Any tips? Not expecting a six pack or anything, just want my stomach to be more in line with the rest of my body.

I currently lift 3x a week and run 2x week.

Had body fat done a couple of months ago and it was at 17%
    Last edited by Nemezule; 12-06-2010 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Adding info

th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Nemezule View Post
    First off, this thread is extremely helpful and contains some great information.

My question is this: I am 6'0" and 156 pounds. I used to weigh almost 240 about 10-12 years ago and still have a pretty flabby stomach. I have been lifting for a couple of months and gaining strength but see no difference in my stomach.

Any tips? Not expecting a six pack or anything, just want my stomach to be more in line with the rest of my body.

I currently lift 3x a week and run 2x week.

Had body fat done a couple of months ago and it was at 17%
    Ignore weight and keep cutting if you want to trim your fat. However, from your description it sounds as if you're lacking muscle mass so a CLEAN BULK is definitely in order. If you want to cut first and clean bulk after that's fine, just do both regardless and in no specific order. It's all up to you. Just keep in mind it takes much longer to gain a pound of muscle than to lose a pound of fat.
    "Everyone thinks they're on their way to single digit body fat as soon as they see a blurry four-pack in the right lighting.Your final body weight at 5-6% will be a lot less than what you think.Talk to me again when you get in contest shape." I'd be willing to say that 95% of people on this forum accomplish nothing in years, don't be one of those people. It's sad,they seem to have the knowledge many don't but can't utilize it.

fat2monster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fat2monster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fat2monster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fat2monster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fat2monster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fat2monster has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    idiot proof ways. good job

Registered User MaximumIn10sity's Avatar
    MaximumIn10sity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaximumIn10sity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaximumIn10sity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaximumIn10sity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaximumIn10sity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaximumIn10sity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaximumIn10sity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaximumIn10sity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaximumIn10sity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaximumIn10sity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MaximumIn10sity has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Long Time No See

How have you been Wave? So cool to come back and see this thread is still going!
    Don't let go
    I've wanted this far too long
    Mistakes become regrets
    I've learned to love abuse
    Please show me what I'm looking for
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IqCfxgKZd8

Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by MaximumIn10sity View Post
    How have you been Wave? So cool to come back and see this thread is still going!
    This is actually part two
    My weightloss / body composition guide:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1d4mKi51EUUWQOUKz43QtAHrL8KUtwB9P-idTay597oc/pub

8/26/12-5/4/13 cut in my bodyspace

in a world built on rules iDrive's Avatar
    iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Kenshinhimora View Post
    This is actually part two
    It's like part 1, only better!
    You don't try to build a wall.
    You don't set out to build a wall.
    You don't say, "I'm going to build the biggest, baddest, greatest wall that's ever been built!".
    You don't start there.

You say, "I'm going to lay this brick as perfectly as a brick can be laid.".
    You do that every single day, and soon you'll have a wall.

th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) th3pwn3r is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by iDrive View Post
    It's like part 1, only better!
    It will only be better when you start contributing more/get back on the horse! Get your mojo back yet?
    "Everyone thinks they're on their way to single digit body fat as soon as they see a blurry four-pack in the right lighting.Your final body weight at 5-6% will be a lot less than what you think.Talk to me again when you get in contest shape." I'd be willing to say that 95% of people on this forum accomplish nothing in years, don't be one of those people. It's sad,they seem to have the knowledge many don't but can't utilize it.

iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by th3pwn3r View Post
    It will only be better when you start contributing more/get back on the horse! Get your mojo back yet?
    The last like 10 pages of part 1 was all me!

Mojo is back! I'm still tweaking things, but it's back.

I think I lost it once Wave stopped posting food pr0n
    You don't say, "I'm going to build the biggest, baddest, greatest wall that's ever been built!".
    You don't start there.

deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) deadfingers is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Well this calculator I'm using is pretty good, and it's telling me to eat 2591 calories per day and about 259g of protein. I'm going to try this out for a week and see how it works. I tend to be pretty sore for a few days, so hopefully an increase in protein will net me some better results.
    ☆☆☆Ron Paul 2012 Support Crew☆☆☆

~Barefooters Crew~|~Atheist Alliance~| ~Yellow Fever Crew~

"Be the change you want to see in the world" - Mahatma Gandhi

The last like 10 pages of part 1 was all me!

Mojo is back! I'm still tweaking things, but it's back.

I think I lost it once Wave stopped posting food pr0n
    Word on that, that food pr0n was nice to see.

Originally Posted by deadfingers View Post
    Well this calculator I'm using is pretty good, and it's telling me to eat 2591 calories per day and about 259g of protein. I'm going to try this out for a week and see how it works. I tend to be pretty sore for a few days, so hopefully an increase in protein will net me some better results.
    Yea...I'm pretty sure that's too many calories but try it out.

abood-uae is not very helpful. (-500) abood-uae is not very helpful. (-500) abood-uae is not very helpful. (-500) abood-uae is not very helpful. (-500) abood-uae is not very helpful. (-500) abood-uae is not very helpful. (-500) abood-uae is not very helpful. (-500) abood-uae is not very helpful. (-500) abood-uae is not very helpful. (-500) abood-uae is not very helpful. (-500) abood-uae is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by ViktorM View Post
    Other than you, I've never seen anyone get very ripped using only 500 below maintainces.

Everyone I see that get super ripped have either done a variation of keto, low carbs, carb cycle etc. + cardio.
    On top of this they have eaten around 4-6 meals a day and eaten very clean - eg. no fast food and sodas.

I know your thing works in theory and people see good results, but never seen people get below 10-9% (again, other than you) in the previous thread or on any other forums.

man I know some one who do not have caloric restriction and since I knew hi before bodybuilding he had ripped abs I calculated his bf it was 9 % **** but of course be is not big (actual size ) cuz of small frame but to the average joe he is a tad bigger man I am jealous of him ripped abs without dieting
    "Realize that there is no such thing as failure. Keep this in mind and you will achieve
    all that you conceive in your mind. You never fail, you simply produce results.”
    - Dr. Wayne Dyer, “You’ll See It When You Believe It”

“Lack of planning is the cause of all failures.”
    - Brian Tracy, author of “Maximum Achievement”

check my fat loss log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=127790563

ASJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ASJames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great stuff in here cant wait to start my gym subscription

Originally Posted by abood-uae View Post
    man I know some one who do not have caloric restriction and since I knew hi before bodybuilding he had ripped abs I calculated his bf it was 9 % **** but of course be is not big (actual size ) cuz of small frame but to the average joe he is a tad bigger man I am jealous of him ripped abs without dieting
    Haha, I was born with pecs and visible abs. It's a shame I pissed that away with too many ice cream breakfasts, bag-O-potato chips and ketchup lunches and 7 course meals for dinner

Brightside91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Brightside91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Brightside91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Brightside91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Brightside91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Brightside91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Brightside91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Brightside91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Brightside91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Brightside91 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Brightside91 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I THINK i have it sorted out, and have gotten more serious but have a question regarding eating the same stuff over and over, does it matter?

I need roughly 2000 Calories and was reccomended

Breakfast: Oatmeal/ 2 egg whites.

Snack: Protein shake

Lunch: Whole meal sandwich or whole wheat pasta

Dinner: Skinless Turkey or Chicken Breast with Brown Rice/Whole wheat pasta and Steamed vegetables.

Does that look ok?

Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Brightside91 View Post
    I THINK i have it sorted out, and have gotten more serious but have a question regarding eating the same stuff over and over, does it matter?

I need roughly 2000 Calories and was reccomended

Breakfast: Oatmeal/ 2 egg whites.

Lunch: Whole meal sandwich or whole wheat pasta

Dinner: Skinless Turkey or Chicken Breast with Brown Rice/Whole wheat pasta and Steamed vegetables.

Does that look ok?
    Post your macros, I don't see any healthy fats though...
    My weightloss / body composition guide:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1d4mKi51EUUWQOUKz43QtAHrL8KUtwB9P-idTay597oc/pub

8/26/12-5/4/13 cut in my bodyspace

sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10) sportyaccordy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Alton Brown was right

Simple sugar is definitely the enemy of satiety

I just ate half a box of cookies and I definitely feel more hungry than I did before I started. What a waste. Wish I had some banana bread

jmuniverse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jmuniverse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jmuniverse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jmuniverse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jmuniverse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jmuniverse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jmuniverse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jmuniverse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jmuniverse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jmuniverse is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jmuniverse is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    This made it pretty simple to lose weight
    with my ultimate goal being to perserve as much muscle as possible i wonder if this would be ideal

im so used to trying carb diets such as keto or currently im running a carb-cycling diet(i am bulking though)

last time i dieted for months on a keto diet and lost A TON of muscle, i want to avoid that as much as possible seeing as i think ive gained most of it if not all of it back.

i dont know if a diet for a simple mini-cut would be in this thread or not
    i was always under the impression that i should cut carbs and practice morning cardio on an empty stomache to achieve the best fat loss.

Sorry this is so long but if someone can clear all this up id really apprechiate it
    also what is everyone's take on BCAA's during cutting?
    As i have heard they can perserve loads of muscle.
    Always trying to learn about nutrition and training, reps will be given for any questions answered.
    Feel free to pm and ask for advice, i will try to help the best i can.

RIP Zyzz, forever mirrin.
    Houston Misc Crew

Originally Posted by jmuniverse View Post
    This made it pretty simple to lose weight
    with my ultimate goal being to perserve as much muscle as possible i wonder if this would be ideal
    Yes

i dont know if a diet for a simple mini-cut would be in this thread or not
    Set cals (See Rule 3), hit protein (See Rule 2). Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

i was always under the impression that i should cut carbs and practice morning cardio on an empty stomache to achieve the best fat loss.
    Irrelevant.

also what is everyone's take on BCAA's during cutting?
    Protein is good. (See Rule 2)
    You don't start there.

janelson3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've just recently started a journey to transform myself and there's one aspect of it all I've been struggling with. It has to do with eating enough protein but still maintaining a calorie deficit. Let's assume I want 170g Protein a day but a 500 calorie deficit diet for me is 2600 calories. Now, the plan I was following for my diet/training suggested a 40/40/20 system for Protein/Carbs/Fat. Here's the problem, 170g of Protein is 680 calories, right? And if that's supposed to be 40% of my calories that only gets me to a 1700 calorie diet (680 being 40% of 1700).

Am I missing something here? I feel as though I can't both eat a 40/40/20 diet, consume 2600 calories a day, and ingest 170g of Protein. What gives?

Which scenario is better for losing weight while still providing my body with the resources it needs to build muscle?

170g Protein/Carbs (1360 calories) & 35-38g Fat (340 calories) for 1700 total
    260g Protein/Carbs (2080 calories) & 55-58g Fat (520 calories) for 2600 total

The first follows one of the rules for grams of Protein while the second gets me the calories I need. I feel as though I'm just not grasping some simple concept here.
    Last edited by janelson3; 12-13-2010 at 10:45 AM.

Originally Posted by janelson3 View Post
    I've just recently started a journey to transform myself and there's one aspect of it all I've been struggling with. It has to do with eating enough protein but still maintaining a calorie deficit. Let's assume I want 170g Protein a day but a 500 calorie deficit diet for me is 2600 calories. Now, the plan I was following for my diet/training suggested a 40/40/20 system for Protein/Carbs/Fat. Here's the problem, 170g of Protein is 680 calories, right? And if that's supposed to be 40% of my calories that only gets me to a 1700 calorie diet (680 being 40% of 1700).

Am I missing something here? I feel as though I can't both eat a 40/40/20 diet, consume 2600 calories a day, and ingest 170g of Protein. What gives?

Which scenario is better for losing weight while still providing my body with the resources it needs to build muscle?

170g Protein/Carbs (1360 calories) & 35-38g Fat (340 calories) for 1700 total
    260g Protein/Carbs (2080 calories) & 55-58g Fat (520 calories) for 2600 total

The first follows one of the rules for grams of Protein while the second gets me the calories I need. I feel as though I'm just not grasping some simple concept here.
    Don't worry about the split... get the protein you need, and the calories you need. 250g of protein is pretty nutty and damn near impossible to do, unless you live on a cattle or salmon ranch.

Originally Posted by sportyaccordy View Post
    unless you live on a cattle or salmon ranch.
    My mouth started to water thinking about an endless supply of salmon and steak...
    You don't start there.

My mouth started to water thinking about an endless supply of salmon and steak...
    People trash rural folk, but they may be on to something...

****... now I have to have salmon for dinner. Unfortunately, where I live it is $10/lb

Don't worry about the split... get the protein you need, and the calories you need. 250g of protein is pretty nutty and damn near impossible to do, unless you live on a cattle or salmon ranch.
    So it's perfectly acceptable to have a higher % of my calories come from my Carbs/Fat. I just need to be concerned with getting ENOUGH Protein and after that stay under my calorie goal. 'Cause I'll tell ya, I'd be happy to stop trying to force down 2 cups of egg whites in the morning. :P

People trash rural folk, but they may be on to something...

****... now I have to have salmon for dinner. Unfortunately, where I live it is $10/lb
    Dude, I think that's the price for fish everywhere. Expensive. People think canned tuna is cheap but oh how they're wrong. I often see a 5 OUNCE can for 1 dollar. That comes out to roughly $3.00 per 15 ounces, not even a pound. Then you have to strain it so what are you left with? A lot less than 15 ounces worth of food that's for certain.

So it's perfectly acceptable to have a higher % of my calories come from my Carbs/Fat. I just need to be concerned with getting ENOUGH Protein and after that stay under my calorie goal. 'Cause I'll tell ya, I'd be happy to stop trying to force down 2 cups of egg whites in the morning. :P
    Of course it's acceptable. As long as you're getting in enough protein to preserve your muscle mass you can eat whatever else you want. Just make sure you're in a caloric deficit so you lose fat.

Of course it's acceptable. As long as you're getting in enough protein to preserve your muscle mass you can eat whatever else you want. Just make sure you're in a caloric deficit so you lose fat.
    Wonderful. Thank you so much.

Ugh... egg whites? Never again. Just manage your macros and you'll be fine.

Dude, I think that's the price for fish everywhere. Expensive. People think canned tuna is cheap but oh how they're wrong. I often see a 5 OUNCE can for 1 dollar. That comes out to roughly $3.00 per 15 ounces, not even a pound. Then you have to strain it so what are you left with? A lot less than 15 ounces worth of food that's for certain.
    Damn, and I don't even LIKE tuna. Crazy thing is, about 2 years ago salmon was a much more palatable $6/lb. Oh well. I just balance it out with cheap chicken

dabul2003 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dabul2003 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dabul2003 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dabul2003 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dabul2003 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dabul2003 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dabul2003 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dabul2003 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dabul2003 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dabul2003 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dabul2003 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Not to offend anyone but i thnk this post is BS. It could be me but there was s time when i worked out for 3 months consistently and lost no weight at all not even a pound. i was eating a calorie deficit and there was absolutely no fluxation in weight. Whas my problem can anyone help me? It irritating the crap out of me. I may have to include some sort of cardio after my workouts, but my knees are really bad. Or it may be that my bodyfat percentage is to high so i need to do some sort of cardio. can anyone help me. Im struggling here.

Originally Posted by dabul2003 View Post
    Not to offend anyone but i thnk this post is BS. It could be me but there was s time when i worked out for 3 months consistently and lost no weight at all not even a pound. i was eating a calorie deficit and there was absolutely no fluxation in weight. Whas my problem can anyone help me? It irritating the crap out of me. I may have to include some sort of cardio after my workouts, but my knees are really bad. Or it may be that my bodyfat percentage is to high so i need to do some sort of cardio. can anyone help me. Im struggling here.
    What's great is that it matters not what you think. The facts are the facts, if you follow the rules in the original thread you will have results. The time you spent 3 months and lost no weight doesn't mean anything. The scale does not determine body composition but you probably weren't in a caloric deficit at all if you didn't see any results within 3 months time. That's a little bit of truth that you may not be able to handle.