Closed Thread
Page 132 of 148 FirstFirst ... 32 82 122 130 131 132 133 134 142 ... LastLast
Results 3,931 to 3,960 of 4423
    in a world built on rules iDrive's Avatar
    iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by M1LD_S View Post
    I have a question about body composition. I am about 200 lbs now and right at 15% bf. So I understand I am holding 30 lbs of fat. I want to cut to about 10% which I think will put me at 180 and takes 12ish lbs of fat loss.

My question is, I know i am holding water/glycogen, how does this factor into my body composition? Say i am holding 5 lbs of water that I lose pretty quickly once I start my cut. At that point i would be about 195 lbs. Is it at THAT point that I now have to lose the 12 lbs of fat to get to 10% or so. I know those numbers dont necessarily work out exactly but I guess im wondering is what does that water weight count as as far as calculating body fat.

Seems like a really simple, stupid question but I appreciate any answers!
    Body Fat is Body Fat.

Lean Body Mass (LBM) is anything that is not body fat.

Water is not body fat.

Therefore water is considered lean body mass.

Originally Posted by Insilicio View Post
    Why do u want to know? I mean just cut till ur happy right?
    Precisely.
    You don't try to build a wall.
    You don't set out to build a wall.
    You don't say, "I'm going to build the biggest, baddest, greatest wall that's ever been built!".
    You don't start there.

You say, "I'm going to lay this brick as perfectly as a brick can be laid.".
    You do that every single day, and soon you'll have a wall.

Biggstyson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thank you for answering sir , so around 180g of protein should be perfect for me
    Originally Posted by iDrive View Post
    As long as you're lifting it doesn't matter, I don't think wave's routine was supposed to be anything more than a guideline. It's definitely not a bad routine. If you want a hypertrophy specific routine then go look for one specifically addressing that

Statistically this is unlikely

Nope, watch your diet more carefully; Follow rule 3.

Ballpark probably don't need to shoot for more than 150g-200g
    Past scholars studied to improve themselfs , Todays scholars study to impress others - Confucius

iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Biggstyson View Post
    Thank you for answering sir , so around 180g of protein should be perfect for me
    Yeah even that's on the high end I wouldn't obsess over the exact number as long as it's close. It's far more important for you at this stage to just start eating right (and less) which is where you'll see the most bang for your buck
    You don't say, "I'm going to build the biggest, baddest, greatest wall that's ever been built!".
    You don't start there.

dziactor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wondering if this will work without weights - if just running will do it. I run 4+ days a week and do little lifting.

Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Znik has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by dziactor View Post
    Wondering if this will work without weights - if just running will do it. I run 4+ days a week and do little lifting.
    Lifting with high intensity (normal load on the bar) is one of the major keys to retain lean mass during a deficit and various hormonal responses.
    If you want a successful permanent weight loss you should include lifting to your weekly life (3xfull body is enough).
    My story going from obese to fit while battling daily chronic headaches:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155566013&p=1104734533#post1104734533

Summer shred 2015. -final updated posted Sept. 19.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167135911

nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nondualism has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by dziactor View Post
    No, just running won't do. Even running on maintenance would likely cause a drop in lean mass as your body became more efficient at running and felt the need to lose total weight. When you just do cardio, you're not demanding that your body hold onto lean mass. So yeah, you'll lose weight 'because physics', but you won't optimize weight loss as fat loss because you're not giving your body a reason to hold onto metabolically expensive muscles.
    'There is no sin except stupidity." --Oscar Wilde

Joenumber1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    excellent information. I before sports grew thin by means of green coffee.

bookstix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Probably found this thread a little late in dropping off my weight. Now approx 82kg and 19% BF. Looking to get down to 15% and re-evaluate where I'm at.

Question is, if I continue to lose weight, what sort of LBM retention would I expect to see if I followed the method outlined here? I know there's no one-size-fits-all, but would it be overly-aggressive to think that if I lost another 5kg that 3-4kg of that would be fat?

Rafase282 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    [QUOTE=rlopez004;1337882681]
    Originally Posted by wave_length View Post
    Wavelength Guide to Bodybuilding v3.0
    Great info, I have been reading and learning a lot. I myself want to lose fat and get some lean muscle definition but my cardio is poor.

Registered User sweetlittlefire's Avatar
    sweetlittlefire has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by wave_length View Post
    You only have to follow three simple rules:

- Workout 3 times a week with weights.
    - Eat 1g protein / lb lean body mass.
    - Reduce calories to lose 1-2 lbs / week.

Success is 100% guaranteed.

A more elaborate guide can be found here:

The first part of "How to lose fat for Noobs" is found here:

GREAT ADVICE wave_length, this is exactly what I would say to someone trying to start somewhere.

Initial weight loss, in my honest opinion, is VERY simple... I find people complicate the whole process and then the complexity of it all scares them into quitting/giving up.
    I think that as you are 20-30lbs within your goal weight after an extreme weight loss, then things could get difficult and you have to push yourself harder.
    But if you go from drinking soda, eating out regularly, not moving..but you are only 30lbs overweight to begin with, then to be fit seems like less of a struggle.
    Whereas if your body already endured a massive weight loss and then there's excess skin/fat to be taken care of.

It's about changing your MIND, when you change your thoughts the body will follow.
    It's a lifestyle, not a fad diet.
    Good luck to everyone on their journey to be the best version of themselves!

Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Thanks. This is working so far over here.
    Insilicio road to aesthetics: Fierce 5 Workout Journal + Leangains Nutrition: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172342523&p=1460564873#post1460564873

brazil551 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brazil551 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brazil551 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brazil551 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brazil551 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brazil551 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brazil551 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brazil551 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brazil551 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brazil551 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brazil551 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I need to lose weight, but I need to lose body fat more than weight.

brazil551 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brazil551 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brazil551 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brazil551 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brazil551 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brazil551 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brazil551 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brazil551 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brazil551 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brazil551 is on a distinguished road. (+10) brazil551 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    So I eat panda express, almost 3 days a week but I eat the "healthy" stuff the one on the guild in the website the 3 entrees of chicken and broccoli

Dannipeck02 is not very well liked. (-100) Dannipeck02 is not very well liked. (-100) Dannipeck02 is not very well liked. (-100) Dannipeck02 is not very well liked. (-100) Dannipeck02 is not very well liked. (-100) Dannipeck02 is not very well liked. (-100) Dannipeck02 is not very well liked. (-100) Dannipeck02 is not very well liked. (-100) Dannipeck02 is not very well liked. (-100) Dannipeck02 is not very well liked. (-100) Dannipeck02 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Good to know.

robert480 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just finished week 1 of Kris Gethin 12-Week Program i feel great and sore, but i have not lost any wight. Any ideas anyone???

THEFULLDARBY has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hello, newb here; a 31 year old male, weighting 185 pounds and 5' '9. I want to lose 25 pounds and I want to do it quick. I started doing HIIT about two weeks ago; my weight hasn't changed but people say that can see a difference in body fat on me and I am upping the speed rather consistently. I want to make sure I'm doing this right though so I had a few questions:

1. I am running at 6 miles for 25 seconds then 2 miles for 50 seconds (10 times). The first 5 or so runs aren't too bad but the last 5 take their toll. Is that okay or should every run be difficult?
    2. Is it okay to up the seconds/intensity whenever I feel it's necessary or should I only do it once a week or so (permanently; then weight a week before making other changes)
    3. Should I be doing anything else exercise wise to assist? I have no issue adding in weights/additional cardio but I don't want to over do it.
    4. My diet hasn't been great on HIIT; I am looking to make some positive changes here. Any advice as to how much and when I should eat on HIIT days (in relation to workout times)?

Thanks everyone!

TOSaffa is on a distinguished road. (+10) TOSaffa is on a distinguished road. (+10) TOSaffa is on a distinguished road. (+10) TOSaffa is on a distinguished road. (+10) TOSaffa is on a distinguished road. (+10) TOSaffa is on a distinguished road. (+10) TOSaffa is on a distinguished road. (+10) TOSaffa is on a distinguished road. (+10) TOSaffa is on a distinguished road. (+10) TOSaffa is on a distinguished road. (+10) TOSaffa is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by THEFULLDARBY View Post
    Hello, newb here; a 31 year old male, weighting 185 pounds and 5' '9. I want to lose 25 pounds and I want to do it quick. I started doing HIIT about two weeks ago; my weight hasn't changed but people say that can see a difference in body fat on me and I am upping the speed rather consistently. I want to make sure I'm doing this right though so I had a few questions:

1. I am running at 6 miles for 25 seconds then 2 miles for 50 seconds (10 times). The first 5 or so runs aren't too bad but the last 5 take their toll. Is that okay or should every run be difficult?
    2. Is it okay to up the seconds/intensity whenever I feel it's necessary or should I only do it once a week or so (permanently; then weight a week before making other changes)
    3. Should I be doing anything else exercise wise to assist? I have no issue adding in weights/additional cardio but I don't want to over do it.
    4. My diet hasn't been great on HIIT; I am looking to make some positive changes here. Any advice as to how much and when I should eat on HIIT days (in relation to workout times)?

Thanks everyone!
    I think I've read about 100 pages of posts on this forum. 99% of what you are looking for is on page 1, the rest you will find within the first 10 pages. It's worth the read.

johnsonGA is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnsonGA is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnsonGA is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnsonGA is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnsonGA is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnsonGA is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnsonGA is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnsonGA is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnsonGA is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnsonGA is on a distinguished road. (+10) johnsonGA is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Great read. Thanks for all the information.

Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Insilicio has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by robert480 View Post
    Just finished week 1 of Kris Gethin 12-Week Program i feel great and sore, but i have not lost any wight. Any ideas anyone???
    What about the first post of this thread? All you need.
    Insilicio road to aesthetics: Fierce 5 Workout Journal + Leangains Nutrition: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172342523&p=1460564873#post1460564873

wellred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've been lurking on here for a few days and decided to join up. Just wanted to say thanks to all for setting this thread up. I'm currently 190lbs at 22% body fat. My journey starts here!

I'm going to do gym 3 times a week + 1 evening of Yoga and will follow the 1st post as close as I can. I'm a vegetarian though so my options for protein are a bit limited if I didn't want to take any suppliments. I think most of the Quorn foods are quite high in protein so may just try incorporate that into my diet more.

My main issue is getting cravings for chocolate and biscuits. I will try cutting down to 1 cheat day a week and see how I get on. I just love chocolate though.
    Last edited by wellred; 03-17-2015 at 07:18 AM.

tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tara19 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by wellred View Post
    I've been lurking on here for a few days and decided to join up. Just wanted to say thanks to all for setting this thread up. I'm currently 190lbs at 22% body fat. My journey starts here!

I'm going to do gym 3 times a week + 1 evening of Yoga and will follow the 1st post as close as I can. I'm a vegetarian though so my options for protein are a bit limited if I didn't want to take any suppliments. I think most of the Quorn foods are quite high in protein so may just try incorporate that into my diet more.

My main issue is getting cravings for chocolate and biscuits. I will try cutting down to 1 cheat day a week and see how I get on. I just love chocolate though.
    No need for cheat days.
    Try fitting things you enjoy (chocolate) into your daily calories/macros.
    Most people eat at a deficit all week, then cheat and it averages out to wipe out your deficit and you lose nothing.

Originally Posted by tara19 View Post
    No need for cheat days.
    Try fitting things you enjoy (chocolate) into your daily calories/macros.
    Most people eat at a deficit all week, then cheat and it averages out to wipe out your deficit and you lose nothing.
    I was so great at this u have no idea. Seems though a miracle is happening with only one binge last 6 weeks or so lol.

Wellred what helps for me is to have some icecream at the end of like every day. Gives me something to look forward to.

Kinkat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Over the past 2 years, I have wandered down from 35% body fat (200 lbs @ 5'5") to 25% body fat (165lbs). I have done this mainly through diet changes, with numerous failures along the way. I am now looking to become fit, and while that's a pretty vague term for me, after a bit of research, it seems that I am looking for a body fat of about 10-15% with some muscle definition, but not necessarily ripped. I would like to someday get into things like martial arts and kickboxing.

Over the last 2 months, I have been getting into the gym for the first time in my life and have been going about 3-4 times a week. I have naturally fallen into about an hour each session of high intensity cardio, mainly on the elliptical and rowing machine. I have also started using some weight machines twice a week, but find that I am pretty weak, only able to get to 15 reps at about 30-50 lbs.

My diet is pretty good, I am mainly a vegetarian, but also have soylent for 1-2 meals a day, and I am consuming about 700 calories a day below maintenance.

I am wondering whether what I am doing will get me to my goals, and it will simply take time, or if I need to make some changes.

If I don't change, and keep to mainly cardio with some limited weight lifting, is getting to 15% body fat by August a reasonable expectation?

phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) phoenixr2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Why not start martial arts/kickboxing now? It will do nothing but positive things for you. I would start taking the weights seriously otherwise you will end up looking like a smaller version of your former self. Remember to have "muscle definition" one must not only have low enough BF% but also possess enough LBM to make it visible.
    Only a life lived for others, is a life worthwhile.

TOSaffa is on a distinguished road. (+10) TOSaffa is on a distinguished road. (+10) TOSaffa is on a distinguished road. (+10) TOSaffa is on a distinguished road. (+10) TOSaffa is on a distinguished road. (+10) TOSaffa is on a distinguished road. (+10) TOSaffa is on a distinguished road. (+10) TOSaffa is on a distinguished road. (+10) TOSaffa is on a distinguished road. (+10) TOSaffa is on a distinguished road. (+10) TOSaffa is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Kinkat View Post
    Over the past 2 years, I have wandered down from 35% body fat (200 lbs @ 5'5") to 25% body fat (165lbs). I have done this mainly through diet changes, with numerous failures along the way. I am now looking to become fit, and while that's a pretty vague term for me, after a bit of research, it seems that I am looking for a body fat of about 10-15% with some muscle definition, but not necessarily ripped. I would like to someday get into things like martial arts and kickboxing.

Over the last 2 months, I have been getting into the gym for the first time in my life and have been going about 3-4 times a week. I have naturally fallen into about an hour each session of high intensity cardio, mainly on the elliptical and rowing machine. I have also started using some weight machines twice a week, but find that I am pretty weak, only able to get to 15 reps at about 30-50 lbs.

My diet is pretty good, I am mainly a vegetarian, but also have soylent for 1-2 meals a day, and I am consuming about 700 calories a day below maintenance.

I am wondering whether what I am doing will get me to my goals, and it will simply take time, or if I need to make some changes.

If I don't change, and keep to mainly cardio with some limited weight lifting, is getting to 15% body fat by August a reasonable expectation?
    I also have around a 700 calorie deficit per day and I am doing the StrongLifts 5x5 routine. Have a look online at the SL5x5, nice program, good app and I am seeing good results. Read what he has to say about the program. You do not need to do cardio to lose weight on a deficit, it does help your general health etc. but if your goal is just to lose weight then the deficit can do that for you and the weights will help you maintain muscle and build strength.

shifat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shifat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shifat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shifat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shifat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shifat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shifat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shifat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shifat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shifat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) shifat has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    great.. read it 3times... thanks a lot.. very helpful

FocusAndEffort is not very well liked. (-100) FocusAndEffort is not very well liked. (-100) FocusAndEffort is not very well liked. (-100) FocusAndEffort is not very well liked. (-100) FocusAndEffort is not very well liked. (-100) FocusAndEffort is not very well liked. (-100) FocusAndEffort is not very well liked. (-100) FocusAndEffort is not very well liked. (-100) FocusAndEffort is not very well liked. (-100) FocusAndEffort is not very well liked. (-100) FocusAndEffort is not very well liked. (-100)
    what do I do if I always pig out thinking its 'dirty bulking' and eating a lot just to make sure I've had enough protein for the day lol
    "Success at anything will always come down to this: focus and effort. We control both" - Dwayne The Rock Johnson

I'm a Personal Trainer and this 3-Week Diet personally has helped me out a whole lot: http://bit.ly/1IClTKJ

Originally Posted by FocusAndEffort View Post
    what do I do if I always pig out thinking its 'dirty bulking' and eating a lot just to make sure I've had enough protein for the day lol
    Apply a little 'effort' and 'focus' on not doing that?

Total calories are more important than macros - including protein - but if you plan correctly you shouldn't end up in that situation too often.
    You don't start there.

Originally Posted by FocusAndEffort View Post
    Then you should read your signature.

wellred has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So I thought I would update you all as there has been a bit of progress since I started following the info in the OP.

That was around 3 weeks ago and for that first week I was trying to get all my protein from food. I'm also a vegetarian so that makes it a bit more of a challenge.

From week 2 onwards I began incorporating a protein shake between meals. I went for Hemp based as I like the idea of all heart healthy fatty acids in there too.

In the gym last week I noticed my face looked a bit thinner and also the veins on my forearms were more prominent when waking up. A few people have also commented asking if I been on a diet ect ect ect

Anyway i usually weigh myself Monday morning after waking as well as taking a progress pic and I'm down to 178lbs from just over 183lb when I started following the OP. Body fat is also down by a few %.

16/03/14 - 183.2lb | 22.2%
    23/03/14 - 182lb | 20.8%
    30/03/14 - 178lb | 19.6%

What does worry me slightly is this last week I dropped 4lbs. Is that too much? The 1st week I was still eating a few crap chocolates here and there and probably went out for a few beers. The last 2 weeks I've been more concious of what's going in me. Less bread, less rice, minimal alcohol and only a small bar of dark chocolate.

I won't post any pics until I'm down to say 165 but I can see a bit of a difference today.

Closed Thread
Page 132 of 148 FirstFirst ... 32 82 122 130 131 132 133 134 142 ... LastLast