fperez222 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Cutting Diet. Am I doing it right??? Please help.

I just turned 40 in July. I am extremely out of shape. I decided on Nov. 1st to get back into shape. I weighed in at 307 last week and I am 6'1" tall. I want to maximize my efforts in losing weight and get a good physique. I am currently just walking and jogging early in the morning and I have started eating all the right foods for weight loss. I have lowered my caloric intake considerably by eating the right foods. Steady diet of chicken, fish and turkey and lots of veggies and salads along with low carb meals and knowing when to eat them. These are the supplements I'm taking:

1. GNC Sport Multivitamins
    2. Isopure Protein Shakes (50gm Protein)
    3. Muscletech Hydroxycut Hardcore X
    4. L-Carnitine (500mg)
    5. GNC Triple Strength Fish Oil (900mg)

In one week I lost 7 pounds so far. with just running and walking. Is it okay to take all these supplements even though I am not hitting a gym yet?

Now, I have a friend who walks with me who happens to be an amateur boxing trainer who is going to train me in the sport of boxing but we were debating if I should lay off the weights until I lose weight. Is this the right approach? I really want to look good, but am I wasting time by not lifting weights? I really need help here. I don't like to walk backwards. I want to move forward in the most efficient way possible.

Thanks in advance for all your replies.

MunroPT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MunroPT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MunroPT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MunroPT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MunroPT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MunroPT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MunroPT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MunroPT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MunroPT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MunroPT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MunroPT has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    for a steady weight loss you want to decrease your caloric intake by 500 to start. Since you are already on a good diet it shouldn't be hard. I would maybe hold off on the hydroxycut until maybe you hit a plateau where you are not losing weight at a constant rate, mainly because any type of diet pill just speeds things up where someone in your situation will probably lose weight by just eating right and being more active than before.

Lifting weights is a great way to burn calories, a lot more than most people think, along with cardio you should see even faster results than cardio alone. Just make sure you are doing the proper exercises since you are a beginner. Don't go squatting a few hundred pounds because you think you can, I'd recommend body weight exercises to start until you feel a bit stronger where you can move to the weights and head heavier from there.

Boxing would be an excellent sport to train in, you will utilize both cardio exercise with gaining muscle. Be careful to not over train yourself tho. Don't do cardio in the morning then go lift and box in the afternoon, try to use maybe boxing as your cardio on the days you don't go out walking/jogging.

With the protein shakes.. I would absolutely continue to take them, protein shakes are great before and after the gym and right before bed, try to drink a casein protein before bed due to its slower process which is great when sleeping.
    Adam Munro

Munrosfitness@gmail.com

"A man's health can be judged by which he takes two at a time - pills or stairs."

kitkatbarr1 is just really nice. (+1000) kitkatbarr1 is just really nice. (+1000) kitkatbarr1 is just really nice. (+1000) kitkatbarr1 is just really nice. (+1000) kitkatbarr1 is just really nice. (+1000) kitkatbarr1 is just really nice. (+1000) kitkatbarr1 is just really nice. (+1000) kitkatbarr1 is just really nice. (+1000) kitkatbarr1 is just really nice. (+1000) kitkatbarr1 is just really nice. (+1000) kitkatbarr1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by fperez222 View Post
    I just turned 40 in July. I am extremely out of shape. I decided on Nov. 1st to get back into shape. I weighed in at 307 last week and I am 6'1" tall. I want to maximize my efforts in losing weight and get a good physique. I am currently just walking and jogging early in the morning and I have started eating all the right foods for weight loss. I have lowered my caloric intake considerably by eating the right foods. Steady diet of chicken, fish and turkey and lots of veggies and salads along with low carb meals and knowing when to eat them. These are the supplements I'm taking:

1. GNC Sport Multivitamins
    2. Isopure Protein Shakes (50gm Protein)
    3. Muscletech Hydroxycut Hardcore X
    4. L-Carnitine (500mg)
    5. GNC Triple Strength Fish Oil (900mg)

In one week I lost 7 pounds so far. with just running and walking. Is it okay to take all these supplements even though I am not hitting a gym yet?

Now, I have a friend who walks with me who happens to be an amateur boxing trainer who is going to train me in the sport of boxing but we were debating if I should lay off the weights until I lose weight. Is this the right approach? I really want to look good, but am I wasting time by not lifting weights? I really need help here. I don't like to walk backwards. I want to move forward in the most efficient way possible.

Thanks in advance for all your replies.
    I think you are off to a great start! Everyone has to find what works best for them...there is no one universal way. The weight loss along with inches lost will be your best judge of how you are doing. Your diet is 90% of the process. I would try to maintain around 2lb a week weight loss so that you maintain as much muscle as possible. In order to do that, you reduce your calorie intake no more than 500 below maintenance unless you reach a plateau later down the road...then you may have to drop 100-200 more cals due to slowing metabolism. Cardio is great for you for many reasons but you should def. go a head and start weight training! Building muscle will only help with the fat loss process!! If you begin weight training make sure you have someone to help ensure proper form though. Boxing would be great both as strength training and cardiovascular! So as long as you are doing some form of strength training, whether it be calisthenics or weights, you will benifit greatly!!!
    As far as your supplements, I think all is well except for the hydroxycut. Personally, I have found hard work pays off just as much if not more than the fat burners. But that is my own opinion. So that one is optional ...Congratulations on your sucess so far and very best luck to you on your journey!! Just stay focused and motivated and you will see lots of results!
    "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it...So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified." 1 Cor. 9:24-27

BleedCardio is just really nice. (+1000) BleedCardio is just really nice. (+1000) BleedCardio is just really nice. (+1000) BleedCardio is just really nice. (+1000) BleedCardio is just really nice. (+1000) BleedCardio is just really nice. (+1000) BleedCardio is just really nice. (+1000) BleedCardio is just really nice. (+1000) BleedCardio is just really nice. (+1000) BleedCardio is just really nice. (+1000) BleedCardio is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by kitkatbarr1 View Post
    I think you are off to a great start! Everyone has to find what works best for them...there is no one universal way. The weight loss along with inches lost will be your best judge of how you are doing. Your diet is 90% of the process. I would try to maintain around 2lb a week weight loss so that you maintain as much muscle as possible. In order to do that, you reduce your calorie intake no more than 500 below maintenance unless you reach a plateau later down the road...then you may have to drop 100-200 more cals due to slowing metabolism. Cardio is great for you for many reasons but you should def. go a head and start weight training! Building muscle will only help with the fat loss process!! If you begin weight training make sure you have someone to help ensure proper form though. Boxing would be great both as strength training and cardiovascular! So as long as you are doing some form of strength training, whether it be calisthenics or weights, you will benifit greatly!!!
    As far as your supplements, I think all is well except for the hydroxycut. Personally, I have found hard work pays off just as much if not more than the fat burners. But that is my own opinion. So that one is optional ...Congratulations on your sucess so far and very best luck to you on your journey!! Just stay focused and motivated and you will see lots of results!
    I agree w/ Kitkat. Definitely keep up the weight training, it will help you in the long run. You will burn more fat with the added muscle. Keep at it, stay consistent and patient. I would also recommend logging your diet and workouts, when you do hit a plateau it will help to see where you can adjust and is also great to look back and see the progress you've made
    "I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more."

"Everything you do, every single decision you make, either takes you a step closer or a step further away from your goal. You either grow or regress; nothing stands still".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------