Texas Ranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Texas Ranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Texas Ranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Texas Ranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Texas Ranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Texas Ranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Texas Ranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Texas Ranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Texas Ranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Texas Ranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Texas Ranger will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Question Exercises For An 11 Year Old Football Player???

Fellas, I'm planning on training my 11 year old son for football when his season ends in a few weeks. (They made the playoffs!) I want to keep it basic without overwhelming him with too much. I know they are ALOT of knowledgable trainers, college & high school football players on here with lots of experience. These are some exercises I plan on having him start out with: Pushups, Chinups, Dips, Medicine Ball Throws(10lbs), Inverted Rows, Stepups(12" box), Lunges, Hyperextensions(45 degree), Crunches, and Hill Sprints(The hill is 40-45 degrees 20-25 yards). He's 5'5" 135lbs and plays defensive tackle, so I REALLY want to focus on his speed & explosiveness. He can't do a chinup or dip and only 1 pushup in good form. I bought a powerband(mini monster) from elitefts to assist him. How should I structure his training(Monday, Wednesday & Friday)? Thanks in advance for all your help guys!!!
    Last edited by Texas Ranger; 11-17-2010 at 04:08 PM.

Breakk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Breakk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Breakk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Breakk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Breakk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Breakk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Breakk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Breakk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Breakk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Breakk is on a distinguished road. (+10) Breakk is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Running, jumping and eating

jrye is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrye is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrye is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrye is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrye is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrye is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrye is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrye is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrye is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrye is on a distinguished road. (+10) jrye is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    sounds good if not too much

snowysnowcones is on a distinguished road. (+10) snowysnowcones is on a distinguished road. (+10) snowysnowcones is on a distinguished road. (+10) snowysnowcones is on a distinguished road. (+10) snowysnowcones is on a distinguished road. (+10) snowysnowcones is on a distinguished road. (+10) snowysnowcones is on a distinguished road. (+10) snowysnowcones is on a distinguished road. (+10) snowysnowcones is on a distinguished road. (+10) snowysnowcones is on a distinguished road. (+10) snowysnowcones is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    First of all, make sure HE WANTS to do all this training. Without the desire to win and train, training is worthless.
    pwnt.

Lopez27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lopez27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lopez27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lopez27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lopez27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lopez27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lopez27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lopez27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lopez27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lopez27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Lopez27 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    "I know they are ALOT of knowledgable trainers, college & high school football players on here with lots of experience."

Very, very, very wrong. Only a small few, if any, who know what they're talking about, and they most likely aren't very active here. These forums have become really dead lately.

Registered Manmore VerticalDreams's Avatar
    VerticalDreams has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) VerticalDreams has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) VerticalDreams has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) VerticalDreams has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) VerticalDreams has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) VerticalDreams has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) VerticalDreams has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) VerticalDreams has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) VerticalDreams has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) VerticalDreams has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) VerticalDreams has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Lopez27 View Post
    "I know they are ALOT of knowledgable trainers, college & high school football players on here with lots of experience."

Very, very, very wrong. Only a small few, if any, who know what they're talking about, and they most likely aren't very active here. These forums have become really dead lately.
    You should inform him then, my tiny little friend, who coincidentally has very large Quads for a man of his stature.

As for the Original Post, You should definitley make sure that your son has the drive to want to train, forcing him into it will only cause him to resent football AND you.

If he is agreeable towards it, Start him on a very , very light workout schedule . He's only 11, you cant have him training hard at such a young age, Id basically recommend just gettin out in the yard and tossin the ball round with him, running around, and so on, That kind of exercise will keep him in shape.

Texas Ranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Texas Ranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Texas Ranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Texas Ranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Texas Ranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Texas Ranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Texas Ranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Texas Ranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Texas Ranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Texas Ranger will become famous soon enough. (+50) Texas Ranger will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Lopez27 View Post

I wouldn't say that. There are a bunch of guys on here with alot of hands on experience. You just have to sift through the BS to find what you need.

Guys, just so you know. I'm not forcing him to do anything he doesn't want to do. He actually asked me to train him to get faster for football. If I don't do anything else, I'll make sure he's running hill sprints twice a week. I did the same thing sprinting up the levees in Louisiana while in middle & high school and it REALLY helped my speed, quickness & jumping ability.

mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mmater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I don't think there is anything wrong with the exercises you have chosen. I agree with the other posters, as long as he wants to (which you just indicated he did) you are good to go. As far as structuring a workout, here is what I would recommend:

1. Randomness. At least to him. Honestly, don't have it too structured. Work him through the exercises, and if he feels like he is getting bored, then stop and call it a day. Don't do the same routine and order of exercises every training session. I am 28 and I easily get bored with my workouts, and he is only 11, it will happen.

2. If you can, workout with him. Do everything he is doing. I hated nothing more than having to listen to my coach tell me to do these crazy insane drills, when he/she couldn't do 1/5 of it. It builds your credibility as his coach, not just his dad. Plus, you are his dad, and that would just be cool. :-)

3. Lastly, kind of in line with 1, don't make it a chore. If he wants to train, great, but if he doesn't don't force the issue. Instead of working out that day, maybe throw in some knowledge sessions. Just pay attention to his attitude most importantly.

Just my two cents, no I am not an expert, but have plenty of my own experience at that age range. Good luck to you and your son. HAVE FUN!!!!!
    "There's something about a heavy weight that makes a body not want to get under it. Part of the fun of weightlifting is rousing one's spirit and getting under a heavy weight in spite of one's more sensible survival instincts." -Stenn

"Conditioning prepares you for battle. Cardio makes you really good at running slowly away." -Chris Shugart.

TEAM AMAZON - Sisterhood of Iron

My Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=571188111#post571188111

swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I must've missed it somewhere, but what about doing some agility ladders, jump rope circuits, agility courses with cones? Hell, bet him some ice cream or something that he cant beat you.

What basic plyos will work for an 11 year old to increase speed? Jump squats(bodyweight)? Bounding for distance(20 yards)?