strongjim will become famous soon enough. (+50) strongjim will become famous soon enough. (+50) strongjim will become famous soon enough. (+50) strongjim will become famous soon enough. (+50) strongjim will become famous soon enough. (+50) strongjim will become famous soon enough. (+50) strongjim will become famous soon enough. (+50) strongjim will become famous soon enough. (+50) strongjim will become famous soon enough. (+50) strongjim will become famous soon enough. (+50) strongjim will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Pronated shoulders from too many pushing lifts

I've noticed my shoulders pronate forward, could this be from too many pushing lifts and not enough pulling? Could lifting cause this in any way, and if so would more pulling movements fix it? I also broke my left collar bone and separated the right one. This is getting frustrated as it feels unnatural to stand up straight...Can already see my self 20 years down the road with a damn hunch back. brb doing rows
    Squat 425
    Bench 275
    Dead 500

USAPL 1200lb total
    Colorado State Championships 12/03/11

NephilimRising is a name known to all. (+5000) NephilimRising is a name known to all. (+5000) NephilimRising is a name known to all. (+5000) NephilimRising is a name known to all. (+5000) NephilimRising is a name known to all. (+5000) NephilimRising is a name known to all. (+5000) NephilimRising is a name known to all. (+5000) NephilimRising is a name known to all. (+5000) NephilimRising is a name known to all. (+5000) NephilimRising is a name known to all. (+5000) NephilimRising is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Read shoulder savers part 1 and 2 by eric cressey on t-nation. You need to do external rotations and depression as well. But give the article a good read through.

That broken collar bone changes things though.

simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    It sounds like you have an exteme muscle imbalance with your chest/shoulders being way stronger than your upper back. This is pretty common and to me makes guys look like monkeys with their shoulders slouched forward.

NorthTexasBB is just really nice. (+1000) NorthTexasBB is just really nice. (+1000) NorthTexasBB is just really nice. (+1000) NorthTexasBB is just really nice. (+1000) NorthTexasBB is just really nice. (+1000) NorthTexasBB is just really nice. (+1000) NorthTexasBB is just really nice. (+1000) NorthTexasBB is just really nice. (+1000) NorthTexasBB is just really nice. (+1000) NorthTexasBB is just really nice. (+1000) NorthTexasBB is just really nice. (+1000)
    reduce chest/shoulder movements and focus on upper back more to balance it out

samcol is not very well liked. (-100) samcol is not very well liked. (-100) samcol is not very well liked. (-100) samcol is not very well liked. (-100) samcol is not very well liked. (-100) samcol is not very well liked. (-100) samcol is not very well liked. (-100) samcol is not very well liked. (-100) samcol is not very well liked. (-100) samcol is not very well liked. (-100) samcol is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by NephilimRising View Post
    Read shoulder savers part 1 and 2 by eric cressey on t-nation. You need to do external rotations and depression as well. But give the article a good read through.

I started doing eric's maximum strength program and my shoulders have never felt better. I highly recommend it.

One of his rules for healthy shoulders is to always pull more than you push. Also, the external rotations are critical.

sammers62 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) sammers62 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) sammers62 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) sammers62 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) sammers62 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) sammers62 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) sammers62 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) sammers62 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) sammers62 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) sammers62 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) sammers62 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by strongjim View Post
    I've noticed my shoulders pronate forward, could this be from too many pushing lifts and not enough pulling? Could lifting cause this in any way, and if so would more pulling movements fix it? I also broke my left collar bone and separated the right one. This is getting frustrated as it feels unnatural to stand up straight...Can already see my self 20 years down the road with a damn hunch back. brb doing rows
    Alot of good answers above, weak upper back is probably most of it but weak rotator cuffs is definitely some of it too. I played baseball until end of high school and my shoulders were slouched like yours (probably idk how your posture is) and it was from weak rotator cuffs.

CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) CookAndrewB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I will say that I think the modern workplace (sitting at a computer, hunched over) is more to blame than the way you work out. What makes more sense, the position you assume in school/work for 8+ hours a day having an impact, or not having quite enough pulling movements?

Not saying you shouldn't pull more, most people probably should. Just saying that you can't fix hours and hours of sitting on your butt by doing 30 minutes of cardio a few times a week, and you can't fix hours of sitting like a neanderthal behind a monitor with a few extra pulls. It is very likely that a bigger, and more comprehensive, change is needed.
    GoRuck Challenge Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150446113

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." -Edmund Burke

"Because your own strength is unequal to the task, do not assume that it is beyond the powers of man; but if anything is within the powers and province of man, believe that it is within your own compass also." -Marcus Aurelius

strongjim will become famous soon enough. (+50) strongjim will become famous soon enough. (+50) strongjim will become famous soon enough. (+50) strongjim will become famous soon enough. (+50) strongjim will become famous soon enough. (+50) strongjim will become famous soon enough. (+50) strongjim will become famous soon enough. (+50) strongjim will become famous soon enough. (+50) strongjim will become famous soon enough. (+50) strongjim will become famous soon enough. (+50) strongjim will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by NephilimRising View Post

Great read from Eric Cressey, started doing some today, thanks for that.

Originally Posted by CookAndrewB View Post
    I will say that I think the modern workplace (sitting at a computer, hunched over) is more to blame than the way you work out. What makes more sense, the position you assume in school/work for 8+ hours a day having an impact, or not having quite enough pulling movements?

Not saying you shouldn't pull more, most people probably should. Just saying that you can't fix hours and hours of sitting on your butt by doing 30 minutes of cardio a few times a week, and you can't fix hours of sitting like a neanderthal behind a monitor with a few extra pulls. It is very likely that a bigger, and more comprehensive, change is needed.
    Sitting in tiny uncomfortable desks half the day probably isn't helping anything
    Squat 425
    Bench 275
    Dead 500

USAPL 1200lb total
    Colorado State Championships 12/03/11