LCGJR is on a distinguished road. (+10) LCGJR is on a distinguished road. (+10) LCGJR is on a distinguished road. (+10) LCGJR is on a distinguished road. (+10) LCGJR is on a distinguished road. (+10) LCGJR is on a distinguished road. (+10) LCGJR is on a distinguished road. (+10) LCGJR is on a distinguished road. (+10) LCGJR is on a distinguished road. (+10) LCGJR is on a distinguished road. (+10) LCGJR is on a distinguished road. (+10)

SS + Basketball?

Hello BB Community, I have a small question regarding SS while frequently playing basketball:

Before I began playing basketball for intramural sports my squats were already beginning to fail in linear progression. At around sets of 250 lbs., 3x a week of heavy squatting began becoming an impossible task, but I amended the situation by simply swapping a light squat session (80% of Monday's total) into the middle of the week's routine and adding a few more calories to my daily intake. This solution was only temporary however, as the basketball practices are beginning to take a toll on my squatting once again.

What would be the best course of action to take in order to continue SS while playing basketball (2-4x a week; 1-2.5 hours each session)? My squat numbers are disproportionally higher than my other lifts, so adding an additional light squatting session seems like a good idea.

Thoughts?
    BW: 181 lbs.

Raw PRs:

Squat: 305 lbs. x5
    Bench Press: 185 lbs. x5
    Deadlift (Conventional): 345 lbs. x5
    Overhead Press: 130 lbs. x5
    Power Clean: 200 lbs. x5

LCGJR is on a distinguished road. (+10) LCGJR is on a distinguished road. (+10) LCGJR is on a distinguished road. (+10) LCGJR is on a distinguished road. (+10) LCGJR is on a distinguished road. (+10) LCGJR is on a distinguished road. (+10) LCGJR is on a distinguished road. (+10) LCGJR is on a distinguished road. (+10) LCGJR is on a distinguished road. (+10) LCGJR is on a distinguished road. (+10) LCGJR is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Anyone? Here's a possible solution I've been contemplating:

Workout 1: 3x5 (100%)

Workout 2: 3x5 (80%)

Workout 3: 3x5 (80%, 90%, 100% of next week's 100% load)

It's basically a heavy, light, medium variant that allows the body to prepare for the next week's load while also providing much needed recovery in the legs. It seems like a good idea on paper.

Raw PRs:

Former Bench Jockey FastCatChamp's Avatar
    FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Do you have to run SS?

You could run a SS style progression for your lifts other than squats and then run a diffferent style programming for squats.
    Home Journal: Me vs. Myself @.....http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=125942203

Levels and goals...........
    Kitten[CURRENT]...Cat[Application Submitted]..Alleycat..Bobcat...Puma...Lion....Tiger.

Originally Posted by FastCatChamp View Post
    Do you have to run SS?

You could run a SS style progression for your lifts other than squats and then run a diffferent style programming for squats.
    Not really, but I've been making great gains with SS, and I hate to fix something that isn't broken.

It's definitely a good solution though; what rep schemes would you recommend? I am going to finish this week of SS using the medium template I provided; I will update in my blog how that goes later today.

Raw PRs:

zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) zephed56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Maybe just cut it down to 2 sessions, 1 regular heavy session (or maybe @ 2x5 instead of 3x5), and one lighter. Just see what works.

And probably increase the time between heavy DL sessions as well.

Just got back from attempting the medium variant I posted, and I am very pleased with the results. I feel good enough to break my squat PR next heavy round as well as playing basketball later today. I will keep pushing through SS with the heavy, light, medium loads and will make adjustments once gains halt again. Thanks for the input guys.

Raw PRs:

Former Bench Jockey FastCatChamp's Avatar
    FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FastCatChamp is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If you are PRing dont change anything just yet
    Home Journal: Me vs. Myself @.....http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=125942203

Levels and goals...........
    Kitten[CURRENT]...Cat[Application Submitted]..Alleycat..Bobcat...Puma...Lion....Tiger.