STUPAC3000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Division 1 Football Eligibility

Hello,

I hope you all can please help me with clarifying my eligibility, I've been hearing mixed answers.

I graduated from California State University, Northridge (Div I). I began school there in the Fall of 2005. I never participated in any collegiate sports as an undergraduate mainly because they had no football team. I couldn't transfer to a school that did have a team since I was homeless during a portion of my undergraduate schooling and suffered from my parents ongoing divorce the following years. It was the closest school I applied to and I didn't want to put school off since I knew the faster I get done, the faster I can graduate and help out at home. All I completed there were academics.

This Fall of 2010 I've begun graduate school at the University of Southern California (Div I). Football walk-on tryouts are only available to current students which are held in the spring which I hope to attend.

I would like to know if I have eligibility since I never participated in sports? If I don't have eligibility is there an appeal process?

Thanks for your help.

Da_Jtac_0 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da_Jtac_0 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da_Jtac_0 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da_Jtac_0 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da_Jtac_0 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da_Jtac_0 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da_Jtac_0 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da_Jtac_0 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da_Jtac_0 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da_Jtac_0 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Da_Jtac_0 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    because you never competed in any sports you would be eligible however i think there is an age limit. you may be close to it. go on the ncaa website and they will tell you there.

paulstar is not very helpful. (-500) paulstar is not very helpful. (-500) paulstar is not very helpful. (-500) paulstar is not very helpful. (-500) paulstar is not very helpful. (-500) paulstar is not very helpful. (-500) paulstar is not very helpful. (-500) paulstar is not very helpful. (-500) paulstar is not very helpful. (-500) paulstar is not very helpful. (-500) paulstar is not very helpful. (-500)
    You have 5 years from when you start school for D1 so you are not eligiable (thats what iv heard). Its bull**** I wanted to walk on to U of Oklahoma in grad school once i got strong/fast/big enough but i guess i cant.

You cant still play D2, D3 or Juco ball

LC83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LC83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LC83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LC83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LC83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LC83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LC83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LC83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LC83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LC83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LC83 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Once you enroll as a full-time student (designated as taking 12 credit hours or more) your 5 year clock on DI eligibility begins. Assuming you took 12 hours or more during your first fall in school in 2005, your clock began. This meant that your seasons to football were fall 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009.

You have used up your Division I eligibility. The fact that you were playing any sports or not does not matter.

As stated above, there are options to play at other levels of college football because of the manner in which eligibility is tallied but seeing as you have already begun graduate school at USC I doubt you would want to leave at this juncture in your academic career.
    Expect to be there, work like you don't belong.

Originally Posted by LC83 View Post
    Once you enroll as a full-time student (designated as taking 12 credit hours or more) your 5 year clock on DI eligibility begins. Assuming you took 12 hours or more during your first fall in school in 2005, your clock began. This meant that your seasons to football were fall 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009.

You have used up your Division I eligibility. The fact that you were playing any sports or not does not matter.

As stated above, there are options to play at other levels of college football because of the manner in which eligibility is tallied but seeing as you have already begun graduate school at USC I doubt you would want to leave at this juncture in your academic career.
    I really don't want to put a halt in my graduate studies, especially because the academic program that I am in. Is there a way to appeal it? I've heard of the 'two' year extension of eligibility, but I think I have to prove that I had a legitimate reason why I couldn't play any sports because of family issues. That means this year would be the '6th' year and next season would be the '7th' year. I would be completely satisfied if I could just play one season.

Takeover23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Takeover23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by STUPAC3000 View Post
    I really don't want to put a halt in my graduate studies, especially because the academic program that I am in. Is there a way to appeal it? I've heard of the 'two' year extension of eligibility, but I think I have to prove that I had a legitimate reason why I couldn't play any sports because of family issues. That means this year would be the '6th' year and next season would be the '7th' year. I would be completely satisfied if I could just play one season.
    I'm in the same boat as you. I have heard both...don't really know what to believe.

Originally Posted by Takeover23 View Post
    I'm in the same boat as you. I have heard both...don't really know what to believe.
    I just started to work with the compliance office on campus. I'm going to meet with them today to fill out a waiver or something they'll send to the NCAA. Idk if it'll work or not but I'll keep posted on how it goes.

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    stupac3000: Why are you asking us about eligability rules? There is a realy cool web sight called ncaa.com that has all of the answers and contact ifo you would ever need.
    I don't mena to be short but its silly nad stupid to ask us about elgabilty since we dont make the rule and we can't grant wavers but the ncaa can.

swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    carl, don't be a smarta$$ if you can't get your grammar/spelling correct.

No, the NCAA site does NOT have all the answers. There's no way to put together every answer for every unique situaiton all across the country.

To get what you need, you're going to have to sit in the compliance office until someone can look at your specifics (which you're already two steps ahead of me here). That's the only way I found the answers to my situation (one similar to yours). I got answers there in the office that I couldn't find after dozens of hours exploring and reexploring the website.

/rant

Good luck getting the attention and decision you're hoping for. Even if not, you're a USC grad student...life could be worse, haha.

Ooh, also: Stats? Height, weight, speed, position. Details, son!

Originally Posted by swolepatrole View Post
    carl, don't be a smarta$$ if you can't get your grammar/spelling correct.

No, the NCAA site does NOT have all the answers. There's no way to put together every answer for every unique situaiton all across the country.

To get what you need, you're going to have to sit in the compliance office until someone can look at your specifics (which you're already two steps ahead of me here). That's the only way I found the answers to my situation (one similar to yours). I got answers there in the office that I couldn't find after dozens of hours exploring and reexploring the website.

/rant

Good luck getting the attention and decision you're hoping for. Even if not, you're a USC grad student...life could be worse, haha.

Ooh, also: Stats? Height, weight, speed, position. Details, son!

I too have spent countless hours on the ncaa websites and have been unsuccessful determining eligibility with my situation. Not to mention how many hours spent on the phone going in circles with different departments and representatives.

So today, I submitted an 'essay' to the compliance office that explains my story; why I couldn't transfer, what interfered with me playing elsewhere, etc. The compliance officer determines if the reason is legitimate enough to submit a waiver for an extension/reinstatement.

As for college stats? none yet. haha. I would just want one season to play here. I mean, I'm expected to graduate in 2012.

6ft. 205lbs. I've never timed myself on a 40 yet. Although I am the fastest player on the rugby team.

I'm looking at more of a defensive position, hopefully strong safety or an outside linebacker. However, my size may be against me if I choose to tryout for a linebacker position.

If not, I think I am fit for a running back. Honestly, I'll take any position, as long as I can suit up for one college season, I'm happy.

swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50) swolepatrole will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I too have spent countless hours on the ncaa websites and have been unsuccessful determining eligibility with my situation. Not to mention how many hours spent on the phone going in circles with different departments and representatives.

So today, I submitted an 'essay' to the compliance office that explains my story; why I couldn't transfer, what interfered with me playing elsewhere, etc. The compliance officer determines if the reason is legitimate enough to submit a waiver for an extension/reinstatement.

As for college stats? none yet. haha. I would just want one season to play here. I mean, I'm expected to graduate in 2012.

6ft. 205lbs. I've never timed myself on a 40 yet. Although I am the fastest player on the rugby team.

I'm looking at more of a defensive position, hopefully strong safety or an outside linebacker. However, my size may be against me if I choose to tryout for a linebacker position.

If not, I think I am fit for a running back. Honestly, I'll take any position, as long as I can suit up for one college season, I'm happy.
    Who do you play for? I play No.8 for Fort Worth.

Originally Posted by swolepatrole View Post
    Who do you play for? I play No.8 for Fort Worth.
    Currently play for usc as No.6. It's my first year playing and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. I still wanted to at least get one season of football in though.

Takeover23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Takeover23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Keep us updated bro

Strength/Speed Coach Jhawk Fitness's Avatar
    Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000)
    As has been said, once you become a full-time student at the college level your eligibility clocks starts ticking, the only thing that stops that is military service or church missions. That said, you would still have eligibility at the NAIA level and perhaps D-II or D-III.
    Director of Sports Performance
    NSCA-RSCC & CSCS , NASM-CES
    Nike SPARQ Trainer

Vist www.TopSpeedTraining.com, also find us on social media:
    http://www.********.com/TopSpeedSportsPerformance
    Twitter & Instagram = @TopSpeedLLC

WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Jhawk Fitness View Post
    As has been said, once you become a full-time student at the college level your eligibility clocks starts ticking, the only thing that stops that is military service or church missions. That said, you would still have eligibility at the NAIA level and perhaps D-II or D-III.

JHawk is correct

I got lucky, I only took 9 hours a semester the 1st year I was out of HS. Then I signed up for 5 years in the Marines. I get out in 12 days and am going to try to walk on at the University of Northern Colorado. I start school in Jan and walk on tryouts are in Feb

Originally Posted by WHT_LIGHTNING View Post
    JHawk is correct

I got lucky, I only took 9 hours a semester the 1st year I was out of HS. Then I signed up for 5 years in the Marines. I get out in 12 days and am going to try to walk on at the University of Northern Colorado. I start school in Jan and walk on tryouts are in Feb
    I there is a rule tho that you can get 1 year if your 5 years is over. I'm not for sure. And I know you can get a extra year if you went to school part time one of those years.

WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WHT_LIGHTNING is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I there is a rule tho that you can get 1 year if your 5 years is over. I'm not for sure. And I know you can get a extra year if you went to school part time one of those years.
    you could be right, I havent looked that much into it. Just into my situation really

Strength/Speed Coach Jhawk Fitness's Avatar
    Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000) Jhawk Fitness is just really nice. (+1000)
    Once you enroll fulltime your clock starts unless you are part of the special circumstances group I listed above. The "extra year" you might be thinking of is from players who transferred as seniors (i.e Greg Paulus) and were able to play at another school right away, they were able to do that because they had red-shirted or played another sport and graduated in 4 years, thus leaving them 1 year of eligibility.
    Director of Sports Performance
    NSCA-RSCC & CSCS , NASM-CES
    Nike SPARQ Trainer

Vist www.TopSpeedTraining.com, also find us on social media:
    http://www.********.com/TopSpeedSportsPerformance
    Twitter & Instagram = @TopSpeedLLC

fjswick is not very well liked. (-100) fjswick is not very well liked. (-100) fjswick is not very well liked. (-100) fjswick is not very well liked. (-100) fjswick is not very well liked. (-100) fjswick is not very well liked. (-100) fjswick is not very well liked. (-100) fjswick is not very well liked. (-100) fjswick is not very well liked. (-100) fjswick is not very well liked. (-100) fjswick is not very well liked. (-100)
    So i graduated from Clarion (d2) in december of 08.. Could i go get my masters from antoehr D2 School/D3 school and play football?

I didnt play at all in college due to having to work to afford college.