Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    muggz82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) muggz82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) muggz82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) muggz82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) muggz82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) muggz82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) muggz82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) muggz82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) muggz82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) muggz82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) muggz82 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Had my cortosone shot last week in my shoulder, how long does it usually take to work

Hi all,

I've been having shoulder problems for exactly a year now, i've had one MRI and a seperate ultra sound all around the shoulder area and they couldn't find a thing. The ultra sound showed a small amount of fluid near the joint and some minor wear and tear to tendons but nothing that would cause what i'm feeling.

The discomfort is under my armpit at the top of the lat and even though I've told 4 doctors about this none of them has scanned that area directly. If my arm is outstretched in front of me and my head down I can feel something on the front of the shoulder.

So rather than send me for another scan they decided to give me a cortosone shot instead, it's been a week and I've been told to wait 2 weeks before starting light exercise.

However I can't say my shoulder feels new. The 'pinch' under the armpit is a bit better and less weaker, but it's still hugely prominent and defo can't train at the moment

Does anyone know how long it takes to work? Or if it should have done by now? Is there anything I can do to aid this process?

Cheers!

M
    Last edited by muggz82; 11-13-2010 at 06:20 AM.

I Smoke Spheroidal Joints ThePhysicalTherapist's Avatar
    ThePhysicalTherapist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThePhysicalTherapist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThePhysicalTherapist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThePhysicalTherapist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThePhysicalTherapist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThePhysicalTherapist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThePhysicalTherapist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThePhysicalTherapist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThePhysicalTherapist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThePhysicalTherapist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThePhysicalTherapist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by muggz82 View Post
    Hi all,

I've been having shoulder problems for exactly a year now, i've had one MRI and a seperate ultra sound all around the shoulder area and they couldn't find a thing. The ultra sound showed a small amount of fluid near the joint and some minor wear and tear to tendons but nothing that would cause what i'm feeling.

The discomfort is under my armpit at the top of the lat and even though I've told 4 doctors about this none of them has scanned that area directly. If my arm is outstretched in front of me and my head down I can feel something on the front of the shoulder.

So rather than send me for another scan they decided to give me a cortosone shot instead, it's been a week and I've been told to wait 2 weeks before starting light exercise.

However I can't say my shoulder feels new. The 'pinch' under the armpit is a bit better and less weaker, but it's still hugely prominent and defo can't train at the moment

Does anyone know how long it takes to work? Or if it should have done by now? Is there anything I can do to aid this process?

Cheers!

M
    The cortisone injection should have effects within a few days. Sounds as if the pratictionars had no clue because the injections are indicated for inflammation. Hope you get some relief.
    Last edited by ThePhysicalTherapist; 11-13-2010 at 02:46 PM.

jesbad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ThePhysicalTherapist View Post
    The cortisone injection should have effects within a few days. Sounds as if the pratictionars had no clue because the injections is indicated for inflammation. Hope you get some relief.
    Good advice, I've had a shot in my knee and should only take a few days at the most to get relief.

I also had a shoulder injury (so I thought) and got an MRI, but it happened to be bursitis, and I refrained from lifting for a few weeks in order for it to heal.

ThePhysicalTherapist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThePhysicalTherapist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThePhysicalTherapist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThePhysicalTherapist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThePhysicalTherapist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThePhysicalTherapist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThePhysicalTherapist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThePhysicalTherapist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThePhysicalTherapist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThePhysicalTherapist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThePhysicalTherapist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jesbad View Post
    Good advice, I've had a shot in my knee and should only take a few days at the most to get relief.

I also had a shoulder injury (so I thought) and got an MRI, but it happened to be bursitis, and I refrained from lifting for a few weeks in order for it to heal.

Smart. Tough for us just to stop training. And bursitis is an issue of inflammation and requires time for healing. Usually, impingement is correlated. Thus, chronic.

muggz82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) muggz82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) muggz82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) muggz82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) muggz82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) muggz82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) muggz82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) muggz82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) muggz82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) muggz82 is on a distinguished road. (+10) muggz82 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Smart. Tough for us just to stop training. And bursitis is an issue of inflammation and requires time for healing. Usually, impingement is correlated. Thus, chronic.
    The docs solution was 'I don't know what it is, take the shot and if that doesn't work least then I know what to do next' which does and doesn't make sense but hey its happened now. I'm just keen to sort this out as I havent been able to train for a year now.

Least I know the shot didn't work then

The docs solution was 'I don't know what it is, take the shot and if that doesn't work least then I know what to do next' which does and doesn't make sense but hey its happened now. I'm just keen to sort this out as I havent been able to train for a year now.

Least I know the shot didn't work then
    Wow. One year.

Wow. One year.
    That's the NHS for you, took 3 months to get the MRI and another 2 months to see the doc about the results...

That's the NHS for you, took 3 months to get the MRI and another 2 months to see the doc about the results...
    Ah. For sure.

So what are ya doing now?

Angry

Apart from being depressed about it, just trying to eat right and carry on with legs. Take Animal Pak and Glucosomine in the faint hope they might help. It's like something is grabbing onto the muscles in my armpit its messed up but realistically, it's going to be another year of waiting

Apart from being depressed about it, just trying to eat right and carry on with legs. Take Animal Pak and Glucosomine in the faint hope they might help. It's like something is grabbing onto the muscles in my armpit its messed up but realistically, it's going to be another year of waiting
    Strange the mri didn't show much.

And you have pain during upper body exercises?

jesbad has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Muggz,

Have you thought about seeing a sports doctor? Someone who specializes in diagnosing and treating athletes? Might be worth a try.

Strange the mri didn't show much.

And you have pain during upper body exercises?
    Yeah that really annoyed me because I just wanted to know what was wrong and get it fixed, whether that meant surgery or whatever. The doc did say that MRI isn't 100%, so whether it's a small tear I don't know or just chronic inflamation.

When I do upper body the 'pinch' under my armpit begins to hurt, I could carry the exercises on but I tried this once and it just wasn't worth it as next day I feel the pressure in my armpit all day

Originally Posted by jesbad View Post
    Muggz,

Have you thought about seeing a sports doctor? Someone who specializes in diagnosing and treating athletes? Might be worth a try.
    I think that's a good idea, I'm going to hunt around for a good one

beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Under the armpit is an odd place for a shoulder related injury, most tend to be on the top, front or rear of the shoulder. It might even be a tendon strain.

I had a cortisone shot on mine in August, he had me move my arm around right after it and I felt almost instant relief. It got better, then worse and I saw another orthopedic doctor who came highly recommended.

I had an MRI done which showed a few problems. He gave me a ultrasound guided cortisone shot in a few places. It felt better the next day and said I may not get the full effect for 2 weeks. This was done almost a month ago and it feels like the effect wore off.

BG
    In space, nobody can smell Uranus....

Originally Posted by beachguy498 View Post
    Under the armpit is an odd place for a shoulder related injury, most tend to be on the top, front or rear of the shoulder. It might even be a tendon strain.

I had a cortisone shot on mine in August, he had me move my arm around right after it and I felt almost instant relief. It got better, then worse and I saw another orthopedic doctor who came highly recommended.

I had an MRI done which showed a few problems. He gave me a ultrasound guided cortisone shot in a few places. It felt better the next day and said I may not get the full effect for 2 weeks. This was done almost a month ago and it feels like the effect wore off.

BG
    That sucks sorry to hear it. What I'm confused about now is what rehab do i attempt, do I stretch or do yoga? Light exercises? No doc has given me advice on this so far

SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Cortisone injection worked immediately. Within one day, symptoms subsided. However, I'm still recovering from bilateral shoulder tendinitis - Supraspinatus. Back to training, light weight/high-reps. Tendinitis Sucks.

DennisR1977 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DennisR1977 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DennisR1977 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DennisR1977 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DennisR1977 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DennisR1977 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DennisR1977 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DennisR1977 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DennisR1977 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DennisR1977 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DennisR1977 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Cortisone is just an anti-inflammatory. Just a way to "mask" the pain, it does nothing to fix the problem.

Originally Posted by DennisR1977 View Post
    Cortisone is just an anti-inflammatory. Just a way to "mask" the pain, it does nothing to fix the problem.
    But the pain/discomfort might be caused by something inflamed?

Originally Posted by SnakeE117 View Post
    Cortisone injection worked immediately. Within one day, symptoms subsided. However, I'm still recovering from bilateral shoulder tendinitis - Supraspinatus. Back to training, light weight/high-reps. Tendinitis Sucks.
    What symptoms did you have from your injury?

SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Smile Cortisone

Cortisone reduces inflammation. Rotator cuffs receive very little "healing" power from the body - minimal blood and oxygen supply. These injuries take forever to heal. In some cases, cortisone injections are warranted to get you back in the weight room. However, you are correct the "pain" is masked. Proper warm-up, form and technique must take place. Range of motion must be examined to prevent re-occurance. Lifts must be done smarter.

DennisR1977 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DennisR1977 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DennisR1977 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DennisR1977 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DennisR1977 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DennisR1977 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DennisR1977 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DennisR1977 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DennisR1977 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DennisR1977 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DennisR1977 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    But the pain/discomfort might be caused by something inflamed?
    Or just an injury of sorts. I had a knee injury. For over a year, they just wanted to pump cortisone into my knee, and I wouldn't let them. It also showed nothing on the MRI. Physical therapy, time, and a good sports doctor is what fixed it. I also had a scope done on my knee as well, and all they found was scar tissue. I literally could not walk on it for more than 10-15 minutes without having to sit down. I couldn't do stairs one foot at a time, nor could I kneel on it.

What symptoms did you have from your injury?
    Limited range of movement when extending arms in the air. Minor pain and stiffness associated with movement.

Or just an injury of sorts. I had a knee injury. For over a year, they just wanted to pump cortisone into my knee, and I wouldn't let them. It also showed nothing on the MRI. Physical therapy, time, and a good sports doctor is what fixed it. I also had a scope done on my knee as well, and all they found was scar tissue. I literally could not walk on it for more than 10-15 minutes without having to sit down. I couldn't do stairs one foot at a time, nor could I kneel on it.
    Did they do anything to get rid of the scar tissues?

I apologize, I'm really not to good with computers. I still learning how to use and respond to this thread. Your exactly right, Cortisone DOES NOT FIX the problem. Fixing the problem is letting your body heal naturally. What Cortisone does in the short term is reduce inflammation, coupled with rest and the body's natural ability to heal, to further reduce any instance of long-term disability. It is not a miracle drug and should only be used if warranted under the supervision of your M.D. Risk/Benefit factors must be examined prior to injection. It should be used as last resort. Good post Dennis!

Ready To Kick Ass at 40 kyoun1e's Avatar
    kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Muggz,

In another thread I think you indicated that you have a similar pain as I do. My pain is located on my right scapula and seems to extend to the outer armpit. I feel almost a burning sensation when it's bad. The origin of this pain has escaped many (i.e. 2 orthos, a physiatrist, multiple PTs) in my case, but I'm starting to think it's inflamation caused by some fraying labrum or RC tissue. I will not know until I go in for arthoscopic surgery Dec 3rd.

All that said, I think there could be some steps you could take here:

1. Deep Tissue Work -- You could check out a guy who could beat you up a little bit. Maybe a couple sessions is all you need. If your pain is actually IN the armpit, it could be your subscapularis rotator cuff muscle...which is hard to get to unless you are a good tissue person.

2. Neurosurgeon / Cervical Spine -- There is a complex of nerves that run through the shoulder down through the arm and fingers. These nerves originate in the cervical spine area...your neck. One possibility could be that you have a disc bulge or herniation...basically a pinched nerve. This would send crazy signals through the shoulder and can sometimes cause pain. If you have tingling in any of your fingers this would be a dead giveaway. An MRI and/or an EMG study would help determine if nerve damage is the issue.

3. Exercise Adjustment -- Maybe go light for a bit and focus on rotator cuff exercises and scapular stabalizing movements (i.e. rows of all kinds). Stay away from pressing.

That's a start.

I've been through the ringer just like yourself. I had an MRI arthogram of my shoulder, an MRI of my lat muscle, a cervical MRI, and an EMG nerve conduction test. Also had tissue work done and even had "trigger point" injections done. Hardly any improvement. And continue to be surrounded by dopes in the medical community.

I can sympathize.

KY

Good info. KY, never thought of that. Good luck with arthoscopy.

Ready To Kick Ass at 40 kyoun1e's Avatar
    kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Did they do anything to get rid of the scar tissues?
    Not during the surgery. But, during therapy, they did ultrasound therapy on it, and they taught me foam roller exercises as well.

Originally Posted by SnakeE117 View Post
    I apologize, I'm really not to good with computers. I still learning how to use and respond to this thread. Your exactly right, Cortisone DOES NOT FIX the problem. Fixing the problem is letting your body heal naturally. What Cortisone does in the short term is reduce inflammation, coupled with rest and the body's natural ability to heal, to further reduce any instance of long-term disability. It is not a miracle drug and should only be used if warranted under the supervision of your M.D. Risk/Benefit factors must be examined prior to injection. It should be used as last resort. Good post Dennis!

Thank you, and no problem. Very true with your last part, problem is, there are some doctors that just want to throw cortisone at every pain.

Originally Posted by kyoun1e View Post
    Muggz,

In another thread I think you indicated that you have a similar pain as I do. My pain is located on my right scapula and seems to extend to the outer armpit. I feel almost a burning sensation when it's bad. The origin of this pain has escaped many (i.e. 2 orthos, a physiatrist, multiple PTs) in my case, but I'm starting to think it's inflamation caused by some fraying labrum or RC tissue. I will not know until I go in for arthoscopic surgery Dec 3rd.

All that said, I think there could be some steps you could take here:

1. Deep Tissue Work -- You could check out a guy who could beat you up a little bit. Maybe a couple sessions is all you need. If your pain is actually IN the armpit, it could be your subscapularis rotator cuff muscle...which is hard to get to unless you are a good tissue person.

2. Neurosurgeon / Cervical Spine -- There is a complex of nerves that run through the shoulder down through the arm and fingers. These nerves originate in the cervical spine area...your neck. One possibility could be that you have a disc bulge or herniation...basically a pinched nerve. This would send crazy signals through the shoulder and can sometimes cause pain. If you have tingling in any of your fingers this would be a dead giveaway. An MRI and/or an EMG study would help determine if nerve damage is the issue.

3. Exercise Adjustment -- Maybe go light for a bit and focus on rotator cuff exercises and scapular stabalizing movements (i.e. rows of all kinds). Stay away from pressing.

That's a start.

I've been through the ringer just like yourself. I had an MRI arthogram of my shoulder, an MRI of my lat muscle, a cervical MRI, and an EMG nerve conduction test. Also had tissue work done and even had "trigger point" injections done. Hardly any improvement. And continue to be surrounded by dopes in the medical community.

I can sympathize.

KY

Good points. Deep tissue work, like foam rolling, and by hands, works wonders.