DamNative has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DamNative has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DamNative has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DamNative has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DamNative has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DamNative has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DamNative has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DamNative has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DamNative has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DamNative has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DamNative has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Calculating VO2 MAX using Bruce Protocol Question

I was going to test a clients VO2 MAX today at a gym I've just started working at using the Bruce protocol. Had a read over the protocol and was all good to go, but then I noticed that our treadmills(LifeFitness) have a 15% max incline. The protocol has 9 stages and goes up to 26%.

Stage 1 = 1.7 mph at 10% incline
    Stage 2 = 2.5 mph at 12% incline
    Stage 3 = 3.4 mph at 14% incline
    Stage 4 = 4.2 mph at 16% incline
    Stage 5 = 5.0 mph at 18% incline
    Stage 6 = 5.5 mph at 20% incline
    Stage 7 = 6.0 mph at 22% incline
    Stage 8 = 6.5 mph at 24% incline
    Stage 9 = 7.0 mph at 26% incline

Has anyone ever run this test on a similar treadmill? is it possible? For example, could I start it at 1%(10%) then 2% (12%) etc. Or would that not work?

What indoor tests do you use?
    Imperare sibi maximum imperium est.

*WetBreasts is gonna make it crew*

Reps on sight:

RetroTiger
    KyleAaron

TXScout2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TXScout2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TXScout2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TXScout2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TXScout2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TXScout2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TXScout2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TXScout2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TXScout2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TXScout2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TXScout2 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I used to do this at my gym. There are other protocols you can use. Balke is one I believe for more sedentary individuals, and the incline increases much more slowly.

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/balketread.htm

There's a bunch of other tests on there too.

That being said, VO2 Max testing is interesting for exercise physiologists, but for personal training clients I think they best way to measure improvement is to have them perform at a task which they are going to routinely practice during exercise. So, you don't need a test, you could just throw them on a treadmill and say run as long as you can at 5.0 speed. And then they can try to improve on that whenever they come in.

DamNative has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DamNative has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DamNative has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DamNative has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DamNative has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DamNative has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DamNative has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DamNative has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DamNative has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DamNative has a spectacular aura about. (+250) DamNative has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by TXScout2 View Post
    I used to do this at my gym. There are other protocols you can use. Balke is one I believe for more sedentary individuals, and the incline increases much more slowly.

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/balketread.htm

There's a bunch of other tests on there too.

That being said, VO2 Max testing is interesting for exercise physiologists, but for personal training clients I think they best way to measure improvement is to have them perform at a task which they are going to routinely practice during exercise. So, you don't need a test, you could just throw them on a treadmill and say run as long as you can at 5.0 speed. And then they can try to improve on that whenever they come in.
    Yes I agree, normally I wouldn't use one, but this client (a cop) specifically asked for one.
    I did take a look at the Balke and also Astrand, which I ended up using. The incline MAX on the life fitness treadmill, doesn't seem to go higher enough for those tests as the client ended on the 15% luckily lol, cos I didn't have a plan B.

How much incline did the treadmills you use to use have?

Reps on sight:

RetroTiger
    KyleAaron

taylorWI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taylorWI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taylorWI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taylorWI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taylorWI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taylorWI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taylorWI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taylorWI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taylorWI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) taylorWI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    don't you need a oxygen mask to calculate max vo2?

Originally Posted by taylorWI View Post
    don't you need a oxygen mask to calculate max vo2?
    If your measuring directly, yes. The Bruce and other tests are indirect tests, which estimate VO2.

Reps on sight:

RetroTiger
    KyleAaron

Reef58 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Reef58 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Reef58 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Reef58 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Reef58 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Reef58 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Reef58 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Reef58 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Reef58 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Reef58 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Reef58 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I haven't kept up with the latest and greatest on VO2 Max testing, but some suggest it is mostly determined by genetics and largely untrainable. That being said if I were interested in finding VO2 max and lactic threshold I would use a bicycle that shows wattage. There are a gazillion protocols for both on the internet.

Richard

Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000) Jack_Lupino is just really nice. (+1000)
    why use just the Bruce Protocol when you can use the

Protocol?
    "I'm Mr. Beast, the big bad Fenris wolf, I'm The-End-of-the-World-Man, wearing the flesh of fallen angels!" - Jack Lupino

"after the 3rd set he vomited, after the 4th set, he vomited really, really hard, I did not have him perform a 5th set" - Keith Wassung