Registered User americanrealist's Avatar
    americanrealist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Pull ups/Chin ups - Muscle Soreness - Weight loss - new routine

So I have already looked at probably 20 different posts regarding muscle soreness and I'm not sure it got me anywhere. My situation is basically that I am weak, no upper body strength, used to be pretty fat(282lbs), lost the fat and muscle (down to 160 lbs but was "skinny fat"). I've since gained weight(now back up to 195) and am re-focusing on getting in better shape. I am changing from a cardio only routine (which is how I originally lost weight) to only doing cardio every other day and then working on my strength the alternate days. I got a pull up bar TWO days ago, and started out with some pull ups and chin ups. I think I did a total of 20, with assistance as I couldn't even do one without help... like I said - WEAK. I did however push myself to do the most I possibly could. I expected soreness the next day and had plenty of it. Well it is now two days later and the soreness is equal if not a little worse than it was yesterday. I was planning on continuing with the pull ups today but I'm thinking if my arms are that sore I should probably wait. They are sore to the point that I can't straighten them out all the way without it being too painful.

Otherwise my routine is a multi vitamin, low cal diet, 23g fat free sugar free protein after working out which is also right before shower/bed (I work out at night).

I'm looking for advice regarding the soreness and how soon I should continue with pull ups as well as any other advise regarding my routine.

WimpyKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) WimpyKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) WimpyKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) WimpyKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) WimpyKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) WimpyKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) WimpyKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) WimpyKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) WimpyKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) WimpyKid will become famous soon enough. (+50) WimpyKid will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just push through the soreness. Your body will get used to it after a couple workouts and you won't get them anymore.

ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Wait till it subsides. You started two days ago, you will gain nothing if you "push through" it. No reason to rush things, go through the pain and do something clearly uncomfortable. It is normal for soreness to be stronger on the second or third day in such "novice" cases.

The more you train, the better you soreness situations will be. Don't be surprised if the first soreness lasts 7 days. Yes, 7! When you feel you're good to go again, go again.
    bb.com, a place that turned Deadlift into a forearm isolation exercise

and a place where 99% of 21 year olds have bad back and knees.

BK89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BK89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BK89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BK89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BK89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BK89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BK89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BK89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BK89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BK89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah, wait until the soreness subsides to the point where you can AT LEAST extend your arms all the way again. Do not listen to people saying to just push through it - that's a good way to hurt yourself. The first handful of times you lift anything it is going to kill for a number of days after. This is because you are just starting out - once you get a consistent routine going and you start doing it once or twice a week - the soreness will be no where near as bad. Also, I hope you are doing more than just pullups. Better than nothing though if that's all you have...

Registered User americanrealist's Avatar
    americanrealist has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thanks for the advice, based on that I will wait till my arms recover a bit more before continuing.

I am continuing with the exercise bike, and resuming crunches (which never really worked for me) and adding the pull ups. I'll probably add push ups soon.

Does anyone have simple advise on any specific post workout on strength training days that will be beneficial to muscle growth and also ease soreness. I read so many different things in other threads and it was little help. I'm not interested in taking tons of supplements but may be open to one. remember that I work out at night, generally soon before bed and drink syntrax nectar protein after workout/before bed already.

vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vampborn has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I've found push-ups help alleviate pull-up soreness. They both share delts, pecs, triceps, and biceps.