Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: From Y to X

toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by hieronymous View Post
    I am not going to do anything with my arms at all for at least two weeks and then MAY do a bit but most likely not until the 4 weeks are up and then start slow. One of my personal rules with this whole weightlifting endeavour is that I WILL NOT allow myself to continually injure my body just for vanity's sake. So, it will have a fairly big impact on the lower workouts - no DLs or anything - and will also impact my core work. But I will work around it.

The disappointing thing is that I will definitely need to eat less this month since I won't be burning as many calories.
    I think that's the best attitude you can have and I suppose, on the Pollyanna bright side, it will make you get a bit creative in some of the things you can do/try for a few weeks.

The calorie part definitely bites (no pun intended )

Cool pics...
    Goal: Peace, love & happiness...and arms that go bump in the night.

“It's never been true, not anywhere at any time, that the value of a soul, of a human spirit, is dependent on a number on a scale" G. Roth

hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by toodlepip View Post
    The calorie part definitely bites (no pun intended )
    Yes, yes it does. Nice new avi toodlepip You are lean.

I hate winter - the blahs have begun.

Today's work:

Note to self. Must always start cable work with left leg since it is weaker.

Cable step back 60lb - 3 x 12
    Abductor step out 45 lb - 3 x 10, 60 lb 2 sets of 3 x 10
    45 degree step inward - 40lb 3 sets of 12

Side oblique raises on hyperextension - 3 x 10

TRX assisted pistols - 3 x 5

BW squats - 3 x 15

My butt hurts already - but the right side more. I always overworry about symmetry because my body is pretty asymmetrical and I do not want to make it any worse while I grow muscle.

Ran my mile in 9:27.
    Love others well, but love thyself the most

toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000) toodlepip is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yes, yes it does. Nice new avi toodlepip You are lean.

I hate winter - the blahs have begun.

Note to self. Must always start cable work with left leg since it is weaker.
    Thanks...but you'll notice I didn't show my lower body in that picture...that's where the motherlode is stored...

I have the blahs too...and this poxy weather doesn't help. It was -45 with the windchill here this morning...that isn't even human.

Weaker sides are funny aren't they? My left shoulder is substantially weaker than my right...when I'm doing DB presses it's almost comical how I have to bump the db up to get going my left side.

How is the shoulder feeling? Nice to see you're getting a workout in still...doesn't bother you too much when you run?

“It's never been true, not anywhere at any time, that the value of a soul, of a human spirit, is dependent on a number on a scale" G. Roth

hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000)
    How is the shoulder feeling? Nice to see you're getting a workout in still...doesn't bother you too much when you run?
    It's improving. Will probably be able to sleep on it by the end of the week. Running was fine. I can do a few arm windmills with it now too.

I didn't realise how attached I have become to back and core strengthening movements. I miss them.

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It's improving. Will probably be able to sleep on it by the end of the week. Running was fine. I can do a few arm windmills with it now too.

I didn't realise how attached I have become to back and core strengthening movements. I miss them.
    Good to hear! Isn't that annoying how injuries completely jack up the way you sleep? You have to be on constant watch of not rolling over on the thing. Four weeks will be up before you know it and you'll be able to do all the back and core you want.
    Current PRs:
    Bench Press: 200x1
    Deads: 315x1
    Back Squats: 275x1

*Team Amazon* - Sisterhood of Iron
    *Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000)
    When I had my shoulder injury I had to sleep on my back for the entire year it was bad. I couldn't roll over or I would have this nagging sharp and sometimes dull ache. Not fun!
    Bodybuilding is not weight and repetitions; it’s resistance and absolute muscle failure. It’s not quantitative; it’s qualitative. It’s more mental than physical. It’s more control than rage. It’s the realization that you can always get bigger. ~ bodybuilding

That's good to hear...am amazed you can do windmills...must be healing well.

Onward ho. Rich and I did the same workout today. It was pretty fun.

Single leg DL - 4 x 8 per leg

Over unders - 2 x 20

Seated hamstring curl - 4 x 12 @ 105 <this will hit a wall soon

50 side kicks per leg to bag

TRX hip thrusts - 3 x 12 <on the last set I brought my hips all the way down in line with my feet and that made these much more effective and difficult.

Decline sit up 3 x 10 <these are not getting any easier

Mile run in 9:07

I found a nursery in Quebec that sells a self-pollinating pear and also a plum tree that I can get on dwarf root stock. I am daydreaming about spring already, lol. By the time I am 40, I would like to make a supplementary income from produce from my yard. The yard was ridiculously overgrown when I bought it in 2009 but I have made a lot of headway and am looking forward to actually planting more stuff this spring instead of just pulling out garbage trees (although there will still be a lot of that too - gd Manitoba maples). Pulling roots out is a good workout.

punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000) punxnotdead309 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Someday I hope to have a garden like that too. When I was a kid and lived on a farm we had acres of peas, carrots, potatoes, you name it! But the worst part was (being 4 years old!) you'd have to go out in the hot sun and pick weeds all day long. Yuck!
    Bodybuilding is not weight and repetitions; it’s resistance and absolute muscle failure. It’s not quantitative; it’s qualitative. It’s more mental than physical. It’s more control than rage. It’s the realization that you can always get bigger. ~ bodybuilding

Originally Posted by punxnotdead309 View Post
    Someday I hope to have a garden like that too. When I was a kid and lived on a farm we had acres of peas, carrots, potatoes, you name it! But the worst part was (being 4 years old!) you'd have to go out in the hot sun and pick weeds all day long. Yuck!
    My Dad was always really into gardening and the yard at his house in Parry Sound is almost all daylilies (he also filled the yard at their second house in TO and my yard has a bunch too). He shows them and even has a few of his own cultivars. We used to help out quite a lot. It is not nearly as fun when it is a 'chore' when you are a kid. He thinks its funny that me and my brother Adam both have gardens that we are really into since we used to complain about the work when we were younger.

I forgot to add last night some calf work I did. Walked on the treadmill on tiptoes - 1 minute each parallel, toes out, toes in with a minute rest between. Felt the burn.

Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rowyn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I found a nursery in Quebec that sells a self-pollinating pear and also a plum tree that I can get on dwarf root stock. I am daydreaming about spring already, lol. By the time I am 40, I would like to make a supplementary income from produce from my yard. The yard was ridiculously overgrown when I bought it in 2009 but I have made a lot of headway and am looking forward to actually planting more stuff this spring instead of just pulling out garbage trees (although there will still be a lot of that too - gd Manitoba maples). Pulling roots out is a good workout.
    I love to garden myself I eat organically, and every year we plant a huge garden and freeze what we can for the winter. Haven't actually sold anything, though last year we had so much lettuce and tomatoes that we could have. We were giving it away, beautiful baby organic Romaine lettuce that costs a buttload in the stores!

What's a TRX hip thrust? Hope your shoulder is feeling better!
    "A champion is someone who gets up even when he can't" ---Jack Dempsey

I eat for living, not just lifting.

Originally Posted by Rowyn View Post
    What's a TRX hip thrust?
    You have your heels in the stirrups of the TRX lying on your back, then scooch your butt down so that your feet are directly above your butt/hip area. Push down with your heels to raise your butt up as high as you can vertically. Rich was pretty surprised at the difficulty of it, as was I once we got it figured out right. I am thinking progression could be done with doing it on your elbows so more core is involved and doing it one-legged (you would need major strength for that I think). I think I will keep it for a while.

That's brilliant - I envy your long growing season. I'd love to grow fruit here...lucky you!

Unfortunately my yard is tiny but I do have a small garden there and also had a huge allotment last year and was able to can and freeze beets, fennel, beans, kale, zuchinni, carrots and had fresh lettuce, potatoes, tomatoes (though most died of some kind of blight) and other veg all summer. A lot of work but it's awesome. Can't wait to do the same this year. I dream about having a big yard with a garden I don't have to travel to!

And you're right gardening is a good workout...I used to sweat buckets tilling and hoeing...

Originally Posted by Rowyn View Post
    I love to garden myself
    I really see a parallel between gardening and bodybuilding.

There are certain conditions that will provide optimum results, although you can still have success by accident. You can add fake things (oil based fertilizer/steroids) to supersize your yield. You can also use naturally existing things (natural fertilizers/food) to augment your yield. You need to learn the ins and outs of your particular plot of land (your own body) in terms of amount of sun you get, soil type, amount of precipitation (muscle group growth rate, lever length, recovery time) etc.

/philosophizing

That's brilliant - I envy your long growing season. I'd love to grow fruit here...lucky you!

Unfortunately my yard is tiny but I do have a small garden there and also had a huge allotment last year and was able to can and freeze beets, fennel, beans, kale, zuchinni, carrots and had fresh lettuce, potatoes, tomatoes (though most died of some kind of blight) and other veg all summer. A lot of work but it's awesome. Can't wait to do the same this year. I dream about having a big yard with a garden I don't have to travel to!

And you're right gardening is a good workout...I used to sweat buckets tilling and hoeing...
    I like canning and freezing too. It's pretty easy. I was too lazy to do it this year though.

I would like to buy or make myself a top bar bee hive as well this year.

We are not allowed to keep chickens or any sort of livestock in the city where I live so I thought a little hive would be the next best thing. The top bar ones are easier to deal with than the more common type that have the supers. I wouldn't look for a swarm but just let one move in when they felt like it. With the amount of flowers in the yard there should be some bees around.

Bees in your backyard? I remember this summer I had a wasp chasing me around the yard when I tried to get in the shed to mow the lawn.
    Bzzzzz! Just kept circling and getting closer and ever attempt for me to get the lawn mower failed, followed by a high pitched wail that made the neighbours stare :/

Anywho, I hope you have a good weekend!

Wasps = bad, honey bees = good

Today was a very good effort.

Leg press

Unilateral 12 x 90

4 x 12 @ 270 - Had to pause a few times on the last set. As well, my left leg wants to move inward so I had to put my hand up to remember to keep it in line.

1 x 10 @ 180 feet wide stance top of platform - could not do the 20 as planned

Leg raise arcs (don't know real name) 6 from right to left, 6 from left to right x 3
    I had to hold on to the ball rack so that I could lift them both up at the same time. A far off goal of mine is to be able to do wipers while hanging and this should help. Hard.

Leg extensions

2 x 15 @ 120
    2 x 8 @ 135 <will be at this weight for a good long while.
    2 x 15 pulses @ 90 with toes pointed in

10 minutes easy bike.

I was kind of stunned after the leg press and walking around like a zombie. My upper body pump has well and truly gone. It is noticeable in my torso since it is not as rigid as it was before.

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Nice lower body workout! Glad to see you're still working hard in the gym on legs despite the injury. Get those killer legs!

The gardening and honey bee keeping sounds awesome! I may try to grow a little something in my yard this summer. Brb, trying to grow a chicken wing tree!
    Current PRs:

*Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

Originally Posted by thehobbes View Post
    Brb, trying to grow a chicken wing tree!
    Can you grow me a brie tree while you're at it?

Cable day

Step back 1 x 12 @ 45
    Curl 1 x 10 @ 25
    Straight leg step backs - 4 steps back to the end of the cable (or if you prefer - my leash) and 4 steps back x 10 @ 45

I stuck the pin at 70 and was planning on doing a set or two with that weight but I only took two steps back and almost lost my balance while it pulled me back to the tower. Nice try Magz, you aren't that strong! lol

45 degree steps outs 3 x 10 @ 45
    Adductor side steps both feet at 45 degree angles - 4 in, 4 out x 10 @ 45

ATG BW squats - I used the TRX for balance so that I could go all the way back and not tip over

Decided to start doing some light upper body stuff - reverse plank 45s, forearm plank 30s, 30 ft gator crawl (this hurt so will hold off for a while longer). The planks were fine - no pain.

1 x 15 roll to stand up

Mile run 8:43. My flow was great on the run, I actually wore running shoes instead of my flat soled sneakers that I usually wear for lifting and it made a difference.

I downloaded this old movie with Jeff Bridges, Sally Field and Arnold Schwarzenegger called Stay Hungry. It was an OK movie - we enjoyed the 70s style and I thought it was cool to see Arnie playing the fiddle!
    Last edited by hieronymous; 01-23-2011 at 03:10 PM.

Not so awesome motivation today.

Did some upper body stuff.

BB row w bar - 3 x 15 tried both overhand and underhand grip and prefer the underhand.

RDL 65 lb - 3 x 10

There was some pain in the shoulder but nothing excessive - glad I went with the weights I did. Apparently my hamstring flexibility leaves me quickly.

Seated hamstring curl - 4 x 8 @ 120
    TRX hip thrusts - 3 x 10

Chair leg raises - 3 x 10

Mile run was 8:39. This is actually a PR but a pretty sucky one - was hoping to get under 8:30 today. I will have to start at 6.9 next time and start speeding up earlier than the 5 minute mark if I want to get a solid PR.

Wow that's really good you're able to do anything with your shoulder so quickly! And yeah I hate those workouts that are just kinda blah, but I think they make you appreciate the really kick ass ones even more, so they have their purpose. I'm jealous of that mile run btw, I used to run pretty often when I started lifting and could not get under 10min to save my life! Keep up the hard work!
    Current PRs:

I like canning and freezing too. It's pretty easy. I was too lazy to do it this year though.

I would like to buy or make myself a top bar bee hive as well this year.

We are not allowed to keep chickens or any sort of livestock in the city where I live so I thought a little hive would be the next best thing. The top bar ones are easier to deal with than the more common type that have the supers. I wouldn't look for a swarm but just let one move in when they felt like it. With the amount of flowers in the yard there should be some bees around.
    That is AWESOME. I would love to do that. Can't have chickens here either...wish I could, would love to raise my own. Instead I just buy around 10 a year at slaughter time in the fall from a local farm.

As for gardening, I have grave concerns this year for my allotment...they are predicting huge flood issues here and my plot is prone to standing water at the best of times...sigh.

Nice to read you're getting some upper body work in...fingers crossed that shoulder continues to heal rapidly.

kannonshot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kannonshot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kannonshot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kannonshot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kannonshot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kannonshot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kannonshot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kannonshot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kannonshot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kannonshot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kannonshot has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bee-hive

Can I be a Bee-keeper too!! I always wanted to wear that Bee-keeper outfit and look like I knew what I was doing!! ;-)
    I can taste the raw honey know.....even though I've never tasted it before. But I'm guessing it tastes like honey. Umm, really, really, really goooood honey!! Can't wait!!
    "Patience, young grasshopper"......"F**K that s**t!! I'm doing it now!!"

Originally Posted by kannonshot View Post
    Can I be a Bee-keeper too!! I always wanted to wear that Bee-keeper outfit and look like I knew what I was doing!! ;-)
    I can taste the raw honey know.....even though I've never tasted it before. But I'm guessing it tastes like honey. Umm, really, really, really goooood honey!! Can't wait!!
    Fo sho'- Ah belees you gon' hep meh mek it.

Not so awesome motivation today.

Did some upper body stuff.

BB row w bar - 3 x 15 tried both overhand and underhand grip and prefer the underhand.

RDL 65 lb - 3 x 10

There was some pain in the shoulder but nothing excessive - glad I went with the weights I did. Apparently my hamstring flexibility leaves me quickly.

Seated hamstring curl - 4 x 8 @ 120
    TRX hip thrusts - 3 x 10

Chair leg raises - 3 x 10

Mile run was 8:39. This is actually a PR but a pretty sucky one - was hoping to get under 8:30 today. I will have to start at 6.9 next time and start speeding up earlier than the 5 minute mark if I want to get a solid PR.
    Awesome work. It's all about building it up slowly Hope you continue to get better!

Hope you continue to get better!
    Thanks! I got a little over eager with ice shoveling the other day and hurt it some - but it's coming along - I was frustrated today at the gym though cuz I just want to my normal stuff.

I missed a few days of training but am back to it. Tried kangaroo meat for the first time this weekend. Not too bad, but I am not going to rush out to get it again.

Leg press

20 x 180
    16 X 230
    12 x 270
    8 X 320
    4 x 360

1 arm row 3 x 12 @ 35/arm

TRX oblique crunches - 3 x 10 - first set done on hands but it hurt so last two sets done on forearms. It felt soooooo good to do these and really get some good core contraction.

Leg extensions

1 x 10 @ 105
    4 x 8 @ 135

1 x 8 bicep curls x 20

Mile run 8:32 - so close - but with my flat shoes, that's my excuse.

I dug this old song out and it will be the one to get me under 8:20 - sucks that the intro is over a minute but then there are over 5 minutes of 'hurry up and keep up with the beat!'.

Last edited by hieronymous; 01-31-2011 at 05:14 PM.

Thanks! I got a little over eager with ice shoveling the other day and hurt it some - but it's coming along - I was frustrated today at the gym though cuz I just want to my normal stuff.

I missed a few days of training but am back to it.
    Shovelling is hazardous to your health! Are you as overwhelmed with snow as we are with it here? We have record levels and will probably have massive flooding issues in the spring. Time to get a canoe.

Nice to see you're getting some more trianing in. Wicked leg press #s.

What's the TRX like? NROL for Abs has tons of exercises in it using it and i'd love to try it. We just got one in our gym but oddly I don't think we are allowed to use it yet. No doubt they will do classes of some sort and charge extra for it.

britchick884 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) britchick884 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) britchick884 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) britchick884 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) britchick884 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) britchick884 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) britchick884 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) britchick884 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) britchick884 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) britchick884 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) britchick884 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Great workouts

My mum has a tiny fruit orchid and chickens in her back garden. She has some Rhode Island Reds , some Stumpies and 2 Bantams who she's named Flory and Daisy they go everywhere together like 2 little old women, and usually will come in for a visit to the kitchen. They have a walk and cluck round the kitchen table then off they go, it's hilarious watching them. They have a beehive they keep on a neighbours farm. She loves it, and come summer and Autumn is always pickerling and preserving something. Unfortunatly I didn't inherit her green thumb
    *N.A.S.M CPT*

We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing -George Bernard Shaw

Success is not measured by what you accomplish, but by the opposition you have encountered, and the courage with which you have maintained the struggle against overwhelming odds - Orison Swett

You did great on the workout I hope your shoulder continues to heal. It can be so stubborn even trying to do normal things I just hate the snow we are getting down here! Horrible lol and the cold...not fun!

Shovelling is hazardous to your health! Are you as overwhelmed with snow as we are with it here? We have record levels and will probably have massive flooding issues in the spring. Time to get a canoe.

Nice to see you're getting some more trianing in. Wicked leg press #s.

What's the TRX like? NROL for Abs has tons of exercises in it using it and i'd love to try it. We just got one in our gym but oddly I don't think we are allowed to use it yet. No doubt they will do classes of some sort and charge extra for it.
    Holy moly, I spent half and hour shoveling my drive and helping my bf's Mum do hers we had about 10 cm overnight and it is still snowing so there will probably be another 10 waiting to be shoveled when I get home. The exercise woke me up though this morning.

I am quite in love with the TRX as a tool. I really enjoy BW exercises and you can make them really tough with the TRX. We have two in the gym but they are tied to a set of stairs and there is limited space so I can't do the traveling as much as I would like to - but at least it is there.

I bought a WHOLE lot of seeds and I won't bore you with the details but I will take pics in the spring and summer when the garden is gorgeous.