Motherlode has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

plan for 70 year old woman

O.k I need some help here
    Looking for some advise for mom , a little background , she lives in Cabo San lucas area and is 70 years old.
    For her age she's strong as a mule due to working , she can can do miles walking wise , she'll drag home out of the desert over a period of days crushed 50 gal drums, heads off of V-8 motors for making sculptures decorating the yard ect. in other words she has alot of heart and motivation.
    She has been dieting off and on since I can remember , but never knew how to put it together properly (same as myself until I came here).
    She has too much body fat and wants to learn how to drop it "properly" and she want to get in better shape.
    She is seeing friends wither away and at the same time seeing others (tourists) her age fit and healthy , and that is where she wants to be.

Over the next week I want to work her up a proper diet , she is allready good at pre - preparing meals and she eats pretty clean , just no plan behind it.
    I'm looking for a safe routine for her to build lean muscel , she isn't the gym type , something along the line of body type excersise and light dumb bell , she has just started a walking routine (been off and on for years).

Once I work out the diet for her do you guys mind if I post it in this forum for input and advise ?

thanks

Scott Campbell
    Scott

joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Sure go ahead. You'll get plenty of comments/opinions here. Might also want to read the stickies in the Nutrition forum.

Thanks Joe , yes I have been spending a lot of time over there , what a proper diet routine has done for me is a unbelievable.
    The old gal has bought herself some light dumbbells and I emailed this diet routine over to her.
    I need a basic safe for her workout routine , please folks, need some advice.

she's 5'2 and at 156 lbs
    7:00 40 min cardio (walking)
    8:30 am

...Cal. fat carbs prot
    .................................................. ..................................
    oatmeal 1/2 cup 150 3. 27 5
    .................................................. ...................................
    egg whites (6) 102 .6 1.2 21.6
    .................................................. ...................................
    Peanuts (15) 133 7 3 3.2
    total 385

10:30
    Cal. fat carbs prot
    .................................................. ...............................
    shake 1 120 1. 3. 24
    .................................................. ...............................
    oatmeal 1/2 cup 150 3. 27 5

total 270

12:30 pm
    Cal. fat carbs prot
    .................................................. ........................................
    Tuna 4 oz 105 1.25 0 22.5
    .................................................. .........................................
    Green beans 1 cup 34 .1 7.8 2.0
    .................................................. ..........................................
    peanuts (15 ) 133 7 3 3.2
    .................................................. .........................................
    Wheat pita (1) pocket 80 0 17 3
    .................................................. ............................................
    total 352

3:30

Cal. fat carbs prot
    .................................................. ............................................
    oatmeal 150 3. 27 5
    .................................................. ..........................................
    shake 1 scp 120 1 0 24
    .................................................. ...........................................
    total 270

5:30

Cal. fat carbs prot
    .................................................. ........................................
    chicken breast 4 oz 191 4 0 26
    sweet pot 1/4 40.5 . 1 18.5 1.75
    Green beans 1 cup 34 .1 7.8 2.0
    .................................................. .......................................
    olive oil 1 table 120 14
    .................................................. ...................
    total 385

9:00
    .................................................. ...........................................
    cottage low fat 1/2 cp 102 2.2 4.1 15.5
    Peanuts (15) 133 7 3 3.2
    total 135
    .................................................. .....................

Total cal 1,797
    Last edited by Motherlode; 01-31-2007 at 03:33 PM.
    Scott

Revmachine21 is just really nice. (+1000) Revmachine21 is just really nice. (+1000) Revmachine21 is just really nice. (+1000) Revmachine21 is just really nice. (+1000) Revmachine21 is just really nice. (+1000) Revmachine21 is just really nice. (+1000) Revmachine21 is just really nice. (+1000) Revmachine21 is just really nice. (+1000) Revmachine21 is just really nice. (+1000) Revmachine21 is just really nice. (+1000) Revmachine21 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Despite her apparent health, you really really need to run everything you plan by her doctor.
    I might be out of the woods...

She has no doctor , she lives in Mexico , she has Kaiser up here in the state's and come's up for a checkup every two or three years, she keeps up the membership in case of major problems of which she has never had.
    She has never taken any kind of medication or been to the doctor for anything but those checkups , even growing up I can never remember her going to the doctor come to think of it.
    Trust me , if she lived up here it is the first thing I would have her do, or at least try to get her to do it, even then I would have to drag her.
    Thanks for the concern though

Scott Campbell
    Scott

LR3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LR3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LR3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LR3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LR3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LR3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LR3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LR3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LR3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LR3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LR3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    my grandmother started swimming when she was 60, and swam 20 minutes a day, 3x/week until she was 91.

my father is going to be 72 this month, he works out with my mom who is 61, they work out 3x/week using resistance training machines and cardio.

70 isn't necessarily that old. it is much more dependent on her general state of health. walking is probably a good place to start. maybe swimming--it is aerobic and it works all of the body, so you get the cardiovascular benefits of doing cardio, as well as some muscle strengthening from working against the resistance of the water. and there are plenty of easy strokes that don't take that much effort to start with (side stroke, breast stroke, etc.)

i'd say have her see a doctor first--just to be on the safe side. but there are plenty of things someone as young as 70 can do.
    just my $0.02.

joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joed is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    LR makes some good points. From what you say, she's a healthy woman who walks 40 mins each morning, which is probably about 2 miles, and hauls found objects back to turn them into art work. That's neat. IMO the diet you suggested looks OK but I'd make a couple of changes: instead of peanuts 3X/day for 400 calories, I'd only have one serving in the evening with the cottage cheese, & I'd make the nuts almonds or walnuts or pinenuts unless she's hooked on the peanuts. Instead of the other 2 servings of peanuts I'd eat fruits or other veggies; lots of fresh things down in Cabo this time of year, and fruits/veggies are nutrient rich and low in calories.

Leg/hip strength is important for older people so I'd have her use the dbells to keep those areas strong - off the top of my head I'd say squats and lunges and the farmer's walk could be helpful. If she wants to do some curls or presses that's OK too.

Don't know if she lives alone or not but exercising with a friend can be fun, push each other to do a bit more, ya know? Your mom sounds like a spry woman with lots of good years ahead of her Scott, I wish her well.

[edit] Here's a link that may interest you:
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/n...ory_44552.html
    Last edited by joed; 01-31-2007 at 10:34 PM.