Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Fedora is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Does running build muscle mass?

Let's say you run a lot. Will that build more muscle mass? Or just less body fat? Because, you use your muscles when you run, but like, you don't use them (as in, ripping them so they'll grow).

But it will define your muscles more, right?

xdexterdaix is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    sprinting builds a bit of muscle mass. long distance running gets u pretty much nothing unlesss u are cutting and want to tone

jabroni will become famous soon enough. (+50) jabroni will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey Fedora, as far as you question will running gain more muscle mass. I would have to say probably not, one my good friends in a soccer player and all he does is run. He is in reall good cardiovascular shape, his legs are really well developed and defined (calves) due to all the running. But no i dont think you would be able to gain the mass that you want just by running imo.

Fedora is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Okay, thanks. 'Cause once I was talking to my friend after track practice:

Me: You going to weight room later?
    Him: No dude I just ran it works out my legs what's the point?
    Me: Oh

BodyPoints: 113
    fupafighter2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fupafighter2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fupafighter2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fupafighter2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fupafighter2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fupafighter2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fupafighter2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fupafighter2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fupafighter2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fupafighter2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) fupafighter2 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit fupafighter2's BodySpace
    running doesnt build mass at all. **** in the past 3 mo i wanted 2 actaully make my legs smaller 2 make my calves look bigger and i dropped the 1.5 in, by runnning and hlf ass inconsistent training

KingsRevenge is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i've been running for 4 years running may help with mass some i'm not sure but i do know that sprinting is prolly whats got me lookin cut
    http://www.instinctz.net/kingsrevenge

Softmuscled is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit Softmuscled's BodySpace
    i do alot of track.. i mean ALOT and my legs only got bigger from squats so... running does **** for muscle mass

nateakabear is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally posted by KingsRevenge
    i've been running for 4 years running may help with mass some i'm not sure but i do know that sprinting is prolly whats got me lookin cut
    It won't help build mass. It will get you toned up and in good shape for a sport but it won't put on any mass and it may even make you weaker.

BodyPoints: 2752
    aheineken is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) aheineken is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) aheineken is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) aheineken is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) aheineken is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) aheineken is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) aheineken is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) aheineken is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) aheineken is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) aheineken is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) aheineken is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Visit aheineken's BodySpace
    To answer the question all you have to do is look at an Olympic sprinter, like Michael Johnson, and then look at a distance runner.

Johnson's legs are huge and cut up, and he's got a pretty muscular upper body. Distance runners are mostly all under 150lbs, and scrawny as hell. Sprinting will help with muscle development in the legs, not as much as squats. And distance running actually makes you lose muscle. When running distance the body burns up all the readily available carbs and then begins breaking down protein for energy, so the protein cannot be used to build muscle.

Stats: 5'6", 174 lbs
    Jigen2k12 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit Jigen2k12's BodySpace
    i agree with other people here. Running long distance will not build you mass only make your legs look rip but small. Sprinting is a good exercise for speed. I do little run 1-2 miles 1-3 times a week just light run. But the main thing to really build mass is to do strength training.

Stats: 5'8", 175 lbs
    NotAPro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NotAPro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NotAPro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NotAPro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NotAPro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NotAPro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NotAPro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NotAPro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NotAPro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NotAPro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NotAPro is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Visit NotAPro's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by Jigen2k12 View Post
    i agree with other people here. Running long distance will not build you mass only make your legs look rip but small. Sprinting is a good exercise for speed. I do little run 1-2 miles 1-3 times a week just light run. But the main thing to really build mass is to do strength training.
    Nice to revive an 11 year old thread mate. This guy has probably had children by now and long quit running or any type of exercise and leads a sedentary life now. I bet on it.

Stats: 5'9", 131 lbs
    SchofieldK is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SchofieldK is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SchofieldK is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SchofieldK is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SchofieldK is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SchofieldK is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SchofieldK is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SchofieldK is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SchofieldK is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SchofieldK is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) SchofieldK is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Visit SchofieldK's BodySpace
    Op don't listen to these people im about to be a college xc runner next year and im running a **** ton. Running gives you lean muscle not mass. If you run enough your legs will be toned af with striations and you.ll have a nice core because running a ton of miles requires a strong core. Running builds lean cut muscle but you will not gain mass

Stats: 5'11", 210 lbs
    gymhbu has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gymhbu has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gymhbu has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gymhbu has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gymhbu has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gymhbu has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gymhbu has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gymhbu has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gymhbu has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gymhbu has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gymhbu has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit gymhbu's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by Fedora View Post
    Okay, thanks. 'Cause once I was talking to my friend after track practice:

Me: You going to weight room later?
    Him: No dude I just ran it works out my legs what's the point?
    Me: Oh
    I mean that makes sense. Have you ever tried squatting after heavy sprints? It makes my reps go down dramatically. On a weight I usually get maybe 12 times I will only get like 7 or so. Wears you out.
    1 Rep Max /Goal
    Clean:300+/405--> PULL WORKOUT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTCiIqC5SPM
    Bench:405+/500-->PUSH WORKOUT:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vjUIzmHHyA
    Squat:500+/600-->LEG WORKOUT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EImHyR8jpos

Twitter/Instagram/YouTube/Skype/Kik- @SeffBreezy | MY TRANSFORMATION: http://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bqg4-BWCQAAyLM9.jpg

LIKE MY FACEBOOK PAGE BRAHS!! http://www.facebook.com/OfficialSethHolbrook

sethholbrook.com

Stats: 5'9", 144 lbs
    vdubryan11 is a complete loser! (-2000) vdubryan11 is a complete loser! (-2000) vdubryan11 is a complete loser! (-2000) vdubryan11 is a complete loser! (-2000) vdubryan11 is a complete loser! (-2000) vdubryan11 is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Visit vdubryan11's BodySpace
    HIIT cardio builds muscle.

Stats: 5'8", 181 lbs
    sgttom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sgttom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sgttom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sgttom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sgttom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sgttom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sgttom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sgttom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sgttom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sgttom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sgttom has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit sgttom's BodySpace
    Some type of cardio can build muscle, though its a very inefficient way to go about it.

Keep in mind Olympic sprinters do weight training.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162361651
    Compounds only experiment

yolo- you only lift once

Sumo Deadlift: 430 lbs
    Back Squat: 380 lbs
    Bench: 240 lbs

Youtube imLifing
    http://www.youtube.com/user/imLifing

Stats: 5'11", 197 lbs
    rackcurler17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rackcurler17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rackcurler17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rackcurler17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rackcurler17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rackcurler17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rackcurler17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rackcurler17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rackcurler17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rackcurler17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rackcurler17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Visit rackcurler17's BodySpace
    Running alone builds loads of muscle. Duh

look at those ceps

EDIT: just realized this thread is from 2003. what the hell

Man Handles of Peace Bechsgaard's Avatar
    Stats: 6'2", 201 lbs
    Bechsgaard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bechsgaard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bechsgaard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bechsgaard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bechsgaard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bechsgaard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bechsgaard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bechsgaard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bechsgaard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bechsgaard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bechsgaard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit Bechsgaard's BodySpace
    Nice 11 year old thread bump ppl
    Originally Posted by SchofieldK View Post
    Op don't listen to these people im about to be a college xc runner next year and im running a **** ton. Running gives you lean muscle not mass. If you run enough your legs will be toned af with striations and you.ll have a nice core because running a ton of miles requires a strong core. Running builds lean cut muscle but you will not gain mass
    The bro science in this pains me... Running will not build much muscle beyond whats nessesary to move you it will increase muscular endurance by optimizing blood flow to the muscle fibres. There's no difference between lean cut muscle and mass, ppl with mass just eat more than their body needs to do the required workload so it builds muscle and the fat that comes alone with it. Your an anorexic looking child and the only muscle you have is the muscle required for you to move without ****ing falling over after a km. in ither words kid, on all the threads I've seen you comment, you are using your running as an excuse, that's bs, your not gonna make anything past nub gains cause you don't eat above maintenance.

Stats: 5'10", 168 lbs
    ErikTheElectric has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ErikTheElectric has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ErikTheElectric has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ErikTheElectric has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ErikTheElectric has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ErikTheElectric has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ErikTheElectric has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ErikTheElectric has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ErikTheElectric has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ErikTheElectric has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) ErikTheElectric has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit ErikTheElectric's BodySpace
    Weren't you also the guy that wanted to bulk on 2000 calories? Running doesn't "give you lean muscle".

Originally Posted by vdubryan11 View Post
    HIIT cardio builds muscle.
    Please elaborate.
    My Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153626131

IG: erikjameslamkin
    [1,000lb Club - Achieved] OHP: 170 x 3 / S: 365 x 3 / D: 455 x 1 / B: 230 x 1

Food Challenges: (6-1)
    IHOP 35 Pancake Challenge http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRUVGlafeQQ
    12lb Sand which: "The Big Fat Fatty" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xxzs9ewUHNE
    6lb Fried Rice Challenge http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm_fQ5cGrB0

Stats: 6'1", 185 lbs
    Drewcifer69 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Drewcifer69 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Drewcifer69 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Drewcifer69 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Drewcifer69 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Drewcifer69 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Drewcifer69 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Drewcifer69 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Drewcifer69 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Drewcifer69 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Drewcifer69 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Drewcifer69's BodySpace
    Wait - so...

Running won't build mass, but it will build lean mass. So in other words if I run I won't get bigger, I'll just get bigger? Fuar broscience