nerdyone will become famous soon enough. (+50) nerdyone will become famous soon enough. (+50) nerdyone will become famous soon enough. (+50) nerdyone will become famous soon enough. (+50) nerdyone will become famous soon enough. (+50) nerdyone will become famous soon enough. (+50) nerdyone will become famous soon enough. (+50) nerdyone will become famous soon enough. (+50) nerdyone will become famous soon enough. (+50) nerdyone will become famous soon enough. (+50) nerdyone will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Squat form for a guy with a long torso and short legs

I'm 5'9" with a 28" inseam on my pants. Squatting below parallel for some reason is very difficult for me. I have to lean forward when I get very low and it causes stress on my knees.

What am I doing wrong? It feels like I have to travel a lot lower to break parallel than somebody with "normal" proportions.

xcardiobunny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xcardiobunny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xcardiobunny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xcardiobunny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xcardiobunny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xcardiobunny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xcardiobunny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xcardiobunny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xcardiobunny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xcardiobunny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xcardiobunny has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by nerdyone View Post
    I'm 5'9" with a 28" inseam on my pants. Squatting below parallel for some reason is very difficult for me. I have to lean forward when I get very low and it causes stress on my knees.

What am I doing wrong? It feels like I have to travel a lot lower to break parallel than somebody with "normal" proportions.
    Have you tried lowering the weight until you can perfect your form, or does this happen with bodyweight squats too?

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by nerdyone View Post

It's probably a flexibility issue, but can't really comment or advise on your Squat form without seeing you Squat.

Post a couple of vids, one from the side, one from the front or back, of you Squatting your regular working weight.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

nerdyone will become famous soon enough. (+50) nerdyone will become famous soon enough. (+50) nerdyone will become famous soon enough. (+50) nerdyone will become famous soon enough. (+50) nerdyone will become famous soon enough. (+50) nerdyone will become famous soon enough. (+50) nerdyone will become famous soon enough. (+50) nerdyone will become famous soon enough. (+50) nerdyone will become famous soon enough. (+50) nerdyone will become famous soon enough. (+50) nerdyone will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by xcardiobunny View Post
    Have you tried lowering the weight until you can perfect your form, or does this happen with bodyweight squats too?
    Even at body weight it happens. At 185lbs, it feels like I'm going to fall forward. My knees ache for a week after I do squats.

If I go 3/4 the way down, it doesn't hurt as much in my joints and I feel it more in my legs.

I am in decent shape too and have been working out off and on for a long time. I currently deadlift 275 lbs for 10 reps with perfect form and can bench 225 for 10 reps with good form at a body weight of 190lbs. It's just squats that feel wrong for me.

ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by ironwill2008 View Post
    Post a couple of vids, one from the side, one from the front or back, of you Squatting your regular working weight.
    This would be a must.

People with your proportions, short limbs and long torso, are 'made' for squatting. So it would be best to see why you are having problems.
    bb.com, a place that turned Deadlift into a forearm isolation exercise

and a place where 99% of 21 year olds have bad back and knees.

TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TexAss has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Front squat!

I'm in the same boat (although much taller) and I've found my best form is doing front squats. Low bar back squats are a little better than high bar but forward lean is almost impossible to avoid for me.

Low Box squats w/ a pause on the box helped some as well.
    *No Crew*

I will post a video later this week. Hopefully you guys can tell me what I am doing wrong.