!nFr@r3d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) !nFr@r3d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) !nFr@r3d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) !nFr@r3d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) !nFr@r3d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) !nFr@r3d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) !nFr@r3d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) !nFr@r3d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) !nFr@r3d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) !nFr@r3d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) !nFr@r3d has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Corrective exercises for modern life a.k.a Lordosis/Kyphosis

This is a two-part post. The first is an infomational warning. The second a question.

1. This is for most everyone but especially teens. I'd do anything to have been warned sooner about the absolute importance of posture and the necessity to correct imbalances. F*** all other topics and concerns you may have (overtraining, compound exercises, eating, sets/reps, whatever). Posture comes first, everything comes second.

We are gravity machines. For ultimate efficiency, we must stand completely balanced. All joints must be supported in a linear manner. The head, above the neck, above the torso, above the hips, above the knees, above the feet. It's like a Jenga tower. When pieces start inching out of line, the strength of the whole tower is compromised.

Due to the modern lifestyle (sitting for extended periods of time, sleeping with huge pillows, slouching in the oh=so-cool kinda way) our bodies are forced out of alignment and this creates all kinds of problems. Some muscles work harder and tighten, while their opposers become weak and lengthened. Then we all decide hey im weak and skinny so i'm gonna start working out. We favor our already strong movements, avoid the weak ones, and essentially all we accomplish is to further strengthen and solidify an already out-of-wack body so we're actually making it worse instead of better. If you're young, new, or just plain-dumb like me you've definitely been doing this. STOP now!

Of particular importance is the hip complex. Sitting for extended periods of time results in weak and lengthened gluteus muscles, incapable of exerting their necessary force. Our pelvises in turn tilt backwards and our lower backs curve (the booty-out look). Our hip flexors (iliopsoas) bear more of the load and become strong and tight, further solidifying the pelvic tilt. The same thing happens to the lower back with the opposing abs becoming weak and stretched.

I have had some improvements in this area lately, due to the following corrective methods:

1. Strengthening and activating the weak, lengthened muscles
    For the pelvis these are: GLUTEUS maximus, medius, minimus, ABDOMINALS, HAMSTRINGS (sometimes)

Activation involves flexing the muscle statically & through the ROM.
    --> Look up these exercises
    - Lying glute bridge
    - Birddogs
    - Lunges
    When just standing or walking focus on this 24hrs a day... Stand w/ feet shoulder width apart, head high, arms relaxed, and do this:
    Imagine you have a bee stinger in place of a butthole and try to stab you own balls (or box if your a girl) while keeping your feet firmly planted. It will look like a full on Ron Jeremy thrust. If you have a mirror you'll notice (from the side) that your knees are in front of your pelvis. While keeping your ass fully flexed, pull your knees back and under your hips. This is GOOOOD. Now try relax into this position letting gravity pull you down. Notice how you fall back into your normal posture even when trying to remain in the good one? THIS IS THE PROBLEM. You've gone and made the pelvic tilt natural and this (the proper way to stand) feels all messed up. It's gonna take along time and constant focus to fix this.

In addition to this do some sit-ups to strengthen your abs.

Lengthening the strong-tight muscles
    Hip flexor stretches (all varieties, angles)
    Lower back stretches
    Hamstring stretches
    *** Perform all of these with the proper, glute-activated, pelvic position or it's pretty much worhtless.

Part 2
    I'm seeing improvements in my hip complex but my thorax is still royally f*****d. My head doesn't slouch forward but my spine below (between my shoulders) goes way forward (check attachment).

I know I need to strengthen my thoracic extensors but I'm not sure what exercises are available to help me do this. I imagine bands might be useful but so far all i have is holding the top of the push up position and forcing my arms out while holding my head up and forcing my spine up and back. Help please.
    Attached Images

DutchX420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DutchX420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DutchX420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DutchX420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DutchX420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DutchX420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DutchX420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DutchX420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DutchX420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DutchX420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) DutchX420 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for the post, I'm dealing with the same problem (kyphosis). If you look at me from the side it looks like my shoulders are being pushed forward and my shoulder blades are protruding out behind me, giving my back that slight "S" shape. Of course this pushes my neck forward too, and it doesn't help that I'm tall and skinny with almost no back muscle at all.

As soon as I get the money to go to a gym (looking for a job in this ****ty economy), I'm gonna focus on more pull exercises than push, and I'm going to focus on my back much more than my other muscles. The way I see it, if I continue to work out everything evenly, I will only exacerbate my problem.

Right now at home I only have two 10lb dumbells and an exercise ball, so there isn't much I can do for my back. But I'll do sit-ups for sure to strengthen the abs.