Cyclic Ketogenic Diet update:
I’ve turned my body into a chemistry test set for you guys, and following some bloodwork I have some interesting findings to report in this – my last – CKD update.
First, a little about the diet for the new guys:
CKD Diet method – Eliminate carbs from diet for 5 days of the week. Eat fats and protein (in that priority) with a 24-36 hr carb load during the 2 off days.
Theory – “Train” your body to burn fat for energy. Burns fat and reduces cholesterol while sparing muscle through intermittent carb loading that replenishes glycogen in muscles.
Results – As predicted I lost about 7 pounds in two months and saved muscle as demonstrated by several new PR’s during our heavy lifting days.
Bad Results – I had bloodwork done before I started the diet and then again approx 2 months into it. Because everything else was in order I expected the same positive results in my blood. I was mistaken. My “Before” numbers are on the Zone diet. My “After” numbers are CKD diet.
Before – 8/21/10
Triglycerides – 71
HDL (good cholesterol) – 71
LDL (bad cholesterol) – 118
After – 10/23/10
Triglycerides – 63
HDL – 68
LDL – 167
Analysis – Bad cholesterol rised catastrophically! In theory, if I continued with the CKD diet I would have a 20% chance of living 10 more years with cholesterol that high. For those of you educated in NJ that’s an 80% chance that I won’t see 40! I’d probably look great on my casket, but I’d still be dead.
These results ARE repeatable. A friend with similar workout habits started this diet at the same time I did, and just showed similar results in recent bloodwork.
Verdict – CKD – NOT APPROVED. If you’re doing it, stop.
- Not me, someone from our Crossfit group.
Thread: Cyclic Ketogenic Diet Results