v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10) v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10) v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10) v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10) v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10) v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10) v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10) v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10) v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10) v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10) v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Skinny fat 2 month bulk progress (any difference?)

Well I'm skinny fat. My starting weight was 155lbs at 5'10 back in September. I decided to bulk up to at least 170-180 then cut down as per the advice that was given to me by members on the forum. I've been steadily gaining 1 pound per week and my lifts have been getting SIGNIFICANTLY stronger every week however I just don't see the difference in the mirror. Please take a look and tell me if you see anything.

Before weight (left side) - 155 lbs
    Now (right side) - 163 lbs

Thanks!

edit: SORRY! TWO months not three
    Attached Images
    Last edited by v8hemi; 11-16-2010 at 07:35 AM. Reason: title

C6Z06, 4x gladiator, umad joegengsta's Avatar
    joegengsta is on a distinguished road. (+10) joegengsta is on a distinguished road. (+10) joegengsta is on a distinguished road. (+10) joegengsta is on a distinguished road. (+10) joegengsta is on a distinguished road. (+10) joegengsta is on a distinguished road. (+10) joegengsta is on a distinguished road. (+10) joegengsta is on a distinguished road. (+10) joegengsta is on a distinguished road. (+10) joegengsta is on a distinguished road. (+10) joegengsta is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    404, change not found

chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by joegengsta View Post
    404, change not found
    Yea sorry bro, you don't look different. Go on a cut now.

v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10) v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10) v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10) v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10) v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10) v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10) v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10) v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10) v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10) v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10) v8hemi is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by chrisboudreaux View Post
    Yea sorry bro, you don't look different. Go on a cut now.
    Don't you suggest I at least bulk to 170 before cutting to avoid looking like a twig?

WestOz is a name known to all. (+5000) WestOz is a name known to all. (+5000) WestOz is a name known to all. (+5000) WestOz is a name known to all. (+5000) WestOz is a name known to all. (+5000) WestOz is a name known to all. (+5000) WestOz is a name known to all. (+5000) WestOz is a name known to all. (+5000) WestOz is a name known to all. (+5000) WestOz is a name known to all. (+5000) WestOz is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If I were you I would eat at maintenance or just under and lift heavy and do some cardio.

Can you post your workout?

dburgz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dburgz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dburgz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dburgz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dburgz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dburgz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dburgz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dburgz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dburgz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dburgz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dburgz has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by v8hemi View Post
    Don't you suggest I at least hit 170 before cutting to avoid looking like a twig?
    You have to lift hard and eat clean. It doesn't look like you did that.

relic12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) relic12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) relic12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) relic12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) relic12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) relic12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) relic12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) relic12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) relic12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) relic12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) relic12 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    got a little bigger in the arms, but that's about it. if you're getting stronger, staying in the 8-12 rep range, and gaining weight, you can bet that you are gaining muscle. id say if your motivation is still good, keep at it. otherwise i'd switch it up and cut down ten or fifteen pounds so i could actually see the changes. just my advice.

Originally Posted by WestOz View Post
    If I were you I would eat at maintenance or just under and lift heavy and do some cardio.

For the majority I was using a push/pull split... Heavy reps 10-8-6 and using the staples from GST

Chest/Tri
    Back/Bi
    Shoulders
    Legs

Now I'll be starting:

Legs
    Chest/Shoulders
    Back
    Arms
    Last edited by v8hemi; 11-16-2010 at 07:09 AM.

Originally Posted by dburgz View Post
    You have to lift hard and eat clean. It doesn't look like you did that.
    That's discouraging to hear because I DO lift hard. My rep ranges are 10-8-6, first set is warmup and last two are to failure. My lifts have been going up every week. My DB bench press has went up 15 pounds within the two month period. I'd like to mention I'm also far beyond noobie gains since I've been lifting for months prior but that was before I found this website so I was clueless.
    Last edited by v8hemi; 11-16-2010 at 06:11 AM.

Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000) Dexter3000 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by WestOz View Post

This.

You can get stronger and shed some fat if you want and it'll make you look better.
    Iron, sometimes it sets my teeth on edge, other times it helps me control the chaos.

++ Positivity Crew ++

So am I not on the right track regardless of my strength and steady weight gain? Could 2 months be too early to tell?

I would prefer to stick to one method at a time, bulk or cut. I can deal with the body fat during the winter. If someone could just advise where or if my bulk is going wrong.

JoshuaNeff will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoshuaNeff will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoshuaNeff will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoshuaNeff will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoshuaNeff will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoshuaNeff will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoshuaNeff will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoshuaNeff will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoshuaNeff will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoshuaNeff will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoshuaNeff will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Why are you worried about bulking and cutting? If you're skinny fat, then just eat clean and lift heavy. You have some time to recomp. Probably close to a year before you plateau out and need to worry about bulk/cut.

Cutting is going to be much harder without muscle on you, you'll cut and end up skinny fat. But smaller... or anorexic looking. Bulking is silly, because if you really lack muscle mass, you're going to achieve the same thing as a recomp but add more fat on top.

Two months is still pretty early to tell.... but adding that much weight and only going up 15lbs in your bench doesn't seem like as fast of progress as you could be making.

Do cardio at separate times from your lifts, make an effort to do things like stairs instead of elevator, bike instead of car, etc.

I think 10-8-6, or 12 reps, or 10-12 or any other rep counting like that is bogus. I think it's a false way to say "Hey I did good!" I do a warmup set of 10-14 with enough that somewhere in there starts to feel a bit harder, but not nearly failure. I do heavy for 2nd set, then if I fail at 7+ so be it, if I hit 14 and haven't failed then I increase weight. The second set is more of a judge for the third, where I'm going to fail. If I don't fail at 7-8, then I grab more weight, if I fail at 4-5, grab less weight...

So what I'm saying, is the above is a cluster-f of numbers. Ignore them. I have a warm up, a moderate set, then a set where I fail and do 2-3 more.

Skinny-fat is a real bad situation to be in, but also a really good one. Most of the time we can recomp and have a year of great gains and not worry about calories quite as much. I would wager that if you ate maintenance, you could see the same strength gains--- and lose weight or at the very least stay the same on the scale.

iNegUthenLol has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iNegUthenLol has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iNegUthenLol has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iNegUthenLol has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iNegUthenLol has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iNegUthenLol has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iNegUthenLol has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iNegUthenLol has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iNegUthenLol has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iNegUthenLol has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iNegUthenLol has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Stop worrying about bulking or cutting.

Go lift heavy, drink a **** load of water, and eat clean.
    ⎈⚓⎈---BMBC--⎈⚓⎈