RedMaster will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedMaster will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedMaster will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedMaster will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedMaster will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedMaster will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedMaster will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedMaster will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedMaster will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedMaster will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedMaster will become famous soon enough. (+50)

5/3/1 Wendler reset

I have just started 5/3/1 and I am wondering what to do after the 1st 5 weeks are concluded. Should I reset my max or continue to try and hit rep PR for eternity? How does one know when to rest the weights being used?

zpm is just really nice. (+1000) zpm is just really nice. (+1000) zpm is just really nice. (+1000) zpm is just really nice. (+1000) zpm is just really nice. (+1000) zpm is just really nice. (+1000) zpm is just really nice. (+1000) zpm is just really nice. (+1000) zpm is just really nice. (+1000) zpm is just really nice. (+1000) zpm is just really nice. (+1000)
    i think you keep track of the all-out sets (the 5+ x weight).The more of those you can do,the higher your 1rm goes.I might be wrong.

bobby_ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobby_ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobby_ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bobby_ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Add 5 lbs to your calculated upper body maxes and 10 lbs to your calculated lower body maxes.

iSquat_ATG has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iSquat_ATG has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iSquat_ATG has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iSquat_ATG has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iSquat_ATG has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iSquat_ATG has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iSquat_ATG has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iSquat_ATG has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iSquat_ATG has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iSquat_ATG has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iSquat_ATG has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Read. The. Book.

He breaks it down in an example perfectly.

RedMaster will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedMaster will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedMaster will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedMaster will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedMaster will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedMaster will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedMaster will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedMaster will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedMaster will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedMaster will become famous soon enough. (+50) RedMaster will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I am attempting, gasp, to do this without reading the book. I have gleaned a great deal of information from the internet and this site as well and I feel I completely understand the interworkings and cycling of the program with the exception of the one question I asked. I feel certain I will now be told I am not serious about lifting and I need to make a serious commitment and buy the book if I want any hope of powerrlifting and so on. This is a website that is here to help other powerlifters and I asked a simple question that can be answered in a very simple manner and does not require any input from the peanut gallery. Thank you in advance and to those who actually answered my question.

SASQUATCH7212 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SASQUATCH7212 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SASQUATCH7212 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SASQUATCH7212 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SASQUATCH7212 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SASQUATCH7212 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SASQUATCH7212 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SASQUATCH7212 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SASQUATCH7212 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SASQUATCH7212 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SASQUATCH7212 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by iSquat_ATG View Post
    Read. The. Book.

nO bULLS**T Where is the easiest place to buy it? Elite?

simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) simp3204 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by SASQUATCH7212 View Post
    nO bULLS**T Where is the easiest place to buy it? Elite?
    go to amazon.com, I just ordered my copy from there this weekend.

PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You clearly don't understand the innerworkings of the program if you don't even know the answer to that question. There is a massive 5/3/1 thread on the website and even an excel calculator.

The book is well worth it, and if you know people are going to give you **** for asking the most basic question of the program, then why don't you actually research it, because you obviously haven't.

Anyway, you just add 5 lbs to upperbody, and 10 to lower, according to how he says to do it. You don't reset any maxes unless you start failing to get the required reps for that day. I believe he said he has gone through up to 8 cycles before having to reset.

Originally Posted by RedMaster View Post
    I have just started 5/3/1 and I am wondering what to do after the 1st 5 weeks are concluded. Should I reset my max or continue to try and hit rep PR for eternity? How does one know when to rest the weights being used?
    I am attempting, gasp, to do this without reading the book. I have gleaned a great deal of information from the internet and this site as well and I feel I completely understand the interworkings and cycling of the program with the exception of the one question I asked. I feel certain I will now be told I am not serious about lifting and I need to make a serious commitment and buy the book if I want any hope of powerrlifting and so on. This is a website that is here to help other powerlifters and I asked a simple question that can be answered in a very simple manner and does not require any input from the peanut gallery. Thank you in advance and to those who actually answered my question.
    Excellence is the result of Caring more than others think is Wise; Risking more than others think is Safe. Dreaming more than others think is Practical and Expecting more than others think is Possible.

Originally Posted by PhreEkGarden View Post
    Anyway, you just add 5 lbs to upperbody, and 10 to lower, according to how he says to do it. You don't reset any maxes unless you start failing to get the required reps for that day. I believe he said he has gone through up to 8 cycles before having to reset.
    Look at how easily you could have made this reply in a polite manner and satisfied my question if you had left out all of the useless garble. I am sure you are correct and I have no concept of how this program works or what it is even intended to do but I will just wing it on the 2 weeks of lifting experience I have and hope that this thing just works for me.

On another note I clearly understand that rep goals are the order of the day when employing 5/3/1 but should one continue to with this rep goal until one is doing 20reps? Obviously there is a point when poundage must be increased and the time and manner that those changes are to be made are all I was looking for. I will never cease to be amazed at the negative attitude displayed daily on this site. If someone asks a question simply answer it or don't as there is no need for anything else.

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Are you saying first 5 weeks because you are using week one as your maxing baseline?

Anyways +5 to upper lifts +10 to lower, repeat until you no longer can hit the minimum reps then reset.

Originally Posted by Retardo-pex View Post
    Are you saying first 5 weeks because you are using week one as your maxing baseline?

Anyways +5 to upper lifts +10 to lower, repeat until you no longer can hit the minimum reps then reset.
    Week one I have done 75%x5, 80%x5 85%x5. I am no where near uping my numbers yet as I just started the program but I wanted to have an understanding of everything well in advance. Thank you very much for the answer. reps on the way.

Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Week one I have done 75%x5, 80%x5 85%x5. I am no where near uping my numbers yet as I just started the program but I wanted to have an understanding of everything well in advance. Thank you very much for the answer. reps on the way.
    I was just curious where you were getting 5 weeks from. Week 1 = 5+ week 2 = 3+ week 3 = 5/3/1+ week 4 = deload Week 5= Cycle 2 week 1

Learning and Evolving MJAffliction's Avatar
    MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I was just curious where you were getting 5 weeks from. Week 1 = 5+ week 2 = 3+ week 3 = 5/3/1+ week 4 = deload Week 5= Cycle 2 week 1
    3 days a week.

Week 1: M/W/F (squat, bench, deadlift)
    Week 2: M/W/F (press, squat, bench)
    Week 3: M/W/F (deadlift, press, squat)
    Week 4: M/W/F (bench, deadlift, press)
    Week 5: M/W/F (deload)

I'm only assuming...
    BJJ Crew
    Muay Thai Crew
    HODL crew

"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
    "That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.
    "I don't much care where ..." said Alice.
    "Then it doesn't matter which way you go," said the Cat.
    -LEWIS CARROLL, Alice in Wonderland

Everything popular is wrong.
    -OSCAR WILDE, The Importance of Being Earnest

PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000) PhreEkGarden is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I will never cease to be amazed at the negative attitude displayed daily on this site. If someone asks a question simply answer it or don't as there is no need for anything else.

Looks like you brought the negative attitude first... because someone told you to read the book, which is the best advice anyone could give you. It not only explains the %'s, reps, when to increase maxes, it explains his reasons for creating the program, and who should and should not be doing it. It's not a huge book and was actually a pretty entertaining read. So maybe you should just get off your high horse.
    Excellence is the result of Caring more than others think is Wise; Risking more than others think is Safe. Dreaming more than others think is Practical and Expecting more than others think is Possible.

Originally Posted by MJAffliction View Post
    3 days a week.

I'm only assuming...
    Yeah... this is how I am running it also..

Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Drew23 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by iSquat_ATG View Post
    Read. The. Book.

This.

/thread
    I'm not DrewDarden

Best Meet lifts: S:805 B:705 D:560 Total:2070 (220, equipped, drug free)
    Best Raw (gym lifts): S:540 B:380 D:515

Want to bench more? Click here: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178958341
    ~ Molon Labe ~

Originally Posted by PhreEkGarden View Post
    Looks like you brought the negative attitude first... because someone told you to read the book, which is the best advice anyone could give you. It not only explains the %'s, reps, when to increase maxes, it explains his reasons for creating the program, and who should and should not be doing it. It's not a huge book and was actually a pretty entertaining read. So maybe you should just get off your high horse.
    I assure you that negativity was not one of my goals. I did ask a question and I was hoping to get an answer to that one question, something I accomplished thanks to many posters here. Obviously I understand that I would have a better grasp of this program if I were to read the book but I am currently unable to procure a copy and I am well past the age when it was necessary for me to follow unsolicited advice. In summary: I cannot currently acquire a copy of the book. I had one question about the program and asked that one question in this forum. There was no need to answer questions I did not ask or provide unsolicited suggestions. I am not trying to be a dick I just wanted an answer to my one question. Thanks to all.

Originally Posted by MJAffliction View Post
    3 days a week.

I'm only assuming...
    Gotcha, I've only ever done the 4 a week so it just looked weird to me.

skeavs will become famous soon enough. (+50) skeavs will become famous soon enough. (+50) skeavs will become famous soon enough. (+50) skeavs will become famous soon enough. (+50) skeavs will become famous soon enough. (+50) skeavs will become famous soon enough. (+50) skeavs will become famous soon enough. (+50) skeavs will become famous soon enough. (+50) skeavs will become famous soon enough. (+50) skeavs will become famous soon enough. (+50) skeavs will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What do you mean you are are nowhere near uping your numbers yet. As long as you are not failing to get prescribed reps on the day you should be adding every month till failure.

Best of luck with the program, hope you see some good gains out of it.

Learning and Evolving MJAffliction's Avatar
    MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MJAffliction is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Gotcha, I've only ever done the 4 a week so it just looked weird to me.
    Understandable.
    BJJ Crew
    Muay Thai Crew
    HODL crew

"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
    "That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.
    "I don't much care where ..." said Alice.
    "Then it doesn't matter which way you go," said the Cat.
    -LEWIS CARROLL, Alice in Wonderland

Everything popular is wrong.
    -OSCAR WILDE, The Importance of Being Earnest

Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Look at how easily you could have made this reply in a polite manner and satisfied my question if you had left out all of the useless garble
    Well, you're 38 years old and unwilling to put in a minute amount of work reading a very easy and short book necessary to understanding a program that you're going to use. But you want it spoonfed to you instead. I can see how it's irritating to people.

Originally Posted by skeavs View Post
    What do you mean you are are nowhere near uping your numbers yet. As long as you are not failing to get prescribed reps on the day you should be adding every month till failure.

Best of luck with the program, hope you see some good gains out of it.
    It is my understanding that reps should be upped on the last set as opposed to weight.

Thanks.

It is my understanding that reps should be upped on the last set as opposed to weight.

Thanks.
    The last set of your main lift you should be going until a rep or two shy below failure. The weight you plug in for week 1 cycle 1 should have you somewhere in the 5-15 range for your heaviest set. Week 2 might have you closer to 7 reps and week 3 I think 3-5 is a good bet. Each month your max gets 5-10 lbs added to it though so week 1 cycle 2 you might only be hitting 10 reps instead of 12.

Basically your last set for your main lift each workout is an all out set and the goal is to hit at least 5/3/or 1 rep. If you hit below 5/3 or 1 on their respective weeks then its time to reset that particular lift (because chances are you will stall out on bench press before deadlifts, you don't have to reset deadlifts if only your bench press is stalling)

Originally Posted by Black_Spit View Post
    Well, you're 38 years old and unwilling to put in a minute amount of work reading a very easy and short book necessary to understanding a program that you're going to use. But you want it spoonfed to you instead. I can see how it's irritating to people.
    Please see my email above. Your conclusion is illogical. How do you conclude that I am unwilling to do a minute amount of work. I stated clearly above that I cannot, at this time, procure a copy of Wendler's book. Because I am unable to obtain a copy of the book I have read the entire program summary on this site as well as performing multiple Google searches and reading everything on the internet I could find regarding Wendler's program. I did not go into detail as to why I cannot get a copy of the book at this time as it is of no consequence to the question I asked. If you wish feel free to make generalized assumptions about why I cannot get the book, I feel certain that will happen after reading many of the replies on this thread, but I assure you the assumptions others make are as meaningless as any broadbased assumptions I were to make of you.

AmericanPhysco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmericanPhysco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmericanPhysco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmericanPhysco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmericanPhysco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmericanPhysco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmericanPhysco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmericanPhysco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmericanPhysco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmericanPhysco is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AmericanPhysco is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Please see my email above. Your conclusion is illogical. How do you conclude that I am unwilling to do a minute amount of work. I stated clearly above that I cannot, at this time, procure a copy of Wendler's book. Because I am unable to obtain a copy of the book I have read the entire program summary on this site as well as performing multiple Google searches and reading everything on the internet I could find regarding Wendler's program. I did not go into detail as to why I cannot get a copy of the book at this time as it is of no consequence to the question I asked. If you wish feel free to make generalized assumptions about why I cannot get the book, I feel certain that will happen after reading many of the replies on this thread, but I assure you the assumptions others make are as meaningless as any broadbased assumptions I were to make of you.
    Just torrent the book if you can't pay for it. Jesus.

I sleep with my fan on... nekkidbear's Avatar
    nekkidbear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nekkidbear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nekkidbear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nekkidbear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nekkidbear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nekkidbear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nekkidbear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nekkidbear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nekkidbear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nekkidbear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) nekkidbear has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Look at how easily you could have made this reply in a polite manner and satisfied my question if you had left out all of the useless garble. I am sure you are correct and I have no concept of how this program works or what it is even intended to do but I will just wing it on the 2 weeks of lifting experience I have and hope that this thing just works for me.

On another note I clearly understand that rep goals are the order of the day when employing 5/3/1 but should one continue to with this rep goal until one is doing 20reps? Obviously there is a point when poundage must be increased and the time and manner that those changes are to be made are all I was looking for. I will never cease to be amazed at the negative attitude displayed daily on this site. If someone asks a question simply answer it or don't as there is no need for anything else.
    Well you obviously didn't do your research before starting the program. So instead of doing that or getting the book you asked questions that you should have known the answers to if you would have used the SEARCH function.
    Meow