Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    CrownJewels has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Washing hair after each workout?

Dear Ladies,
    I work out 5 times a week and -how it should be- sweat my a** off while doing that.
    Since I am currently posted to a third world country, I wonder which is worse-
    Washing my already damaged and fine hair every time after the gym with bad quality water or have the sweat dry in it?
    No need to tell me what the more ladylike way is... :S

Please enlighten me..!

deracate chinese frower Mindi912's Avatar
    Location: Space Cadet City, ToughCookieVille, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindi912 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Washing your hair everyday is bad for your hair in general.

I used to live in South Africa and the heat out there can be intense. I only ever washed my hair twice a week.

Currently I train, everyday and sometimes twice/three times a day. I wash my hair perhaps three times a week, I have been tempted to wash it everyday but I know it will just become unmanageable.
    Perfection in mind, perfect body!

MMA Fight Record:

Amateur 1 - 0 - 0

Pro - 0 - 0 - 1 :(

digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000) digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000) digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000) digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000) digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000) digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000) digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000) digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000) digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000) digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000) digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It depends on your hair. If you have very oily hair, I can see why you'd want to wash it more often. I sorta have this problem. I wash it maybe 4-5x per week.

However, I use deep conditioning on the nights where I know I'll wash my hair the next morning. This helps my hair stay strong and shiny. I also don't dye my hair.

You can try a dry shampoo in between washes. I haven't tried it, but I'm seriously considering it, since there's times when I dont wash my hair, and I fully regret it by 2 p.m. the next day

http://www.sephora.com/browse/sectio...egoryId=C17780

good luck!
    "The Way Out Is Through"

Digital Bath Explained: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tmPBuSpmfA

kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdiamond55 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yeah I can't wash my hair 5x a week either. It is color treated and it would be dry dry dry.

I do use dry shampoo between washes, and it works awesome! I bought the cheapie kind, I think its Tresemme and it works great.
    Karen

sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50) sbilyeu75 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Wow...I wash my hair every day. But I'm an oil slick, so I have to do it.

hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000) hieronymous is just really nice. (+1000)
    I wash my hair 2-3x a week since it's curly and will dry out quickly. If I sweat a lot it actually brings out the curl and looks pretty good. But if I think it's gonna be gungy I sometimes will rinse it out with plain water.

CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) CATRACCOM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Mine takes most of the day to dry so I usually wash it about 2x a week, maybe 3. I have fringe/bangs so sometimes I can get away with just washing them alone and get another day out of washing.

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Yeah 2-3x a week here too, more would destroy it. It sucks in the summer and I hate when hair days don't line up with workout days, oh well.
    Current PRs:
    Bench Press: 200x1
    Deads: 315x1
    Back Squats: 275x1

*Team Amazon* - Sisterhood of Iron
    *Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have mid-thigh length hair and washing every day would just be horrible on many levels. I wash every 2-3 days, though I do try to time it after a workout. I do weights 3 times a week, so that is usually when it gets washed.

As far as the oilies - if you slowly reduce your washing frequency, your scalp often adjusts sebum production over time. A lot of times the *reason* for oily scalp is due to overwashing/overdrying the scalp and consequential overproduction of sebum to compensate.

mommatosam is on a distinguished road. (+10) mommatosam is on a distinguished road. (+10) mommatosam is on a distinguished road. (+10) mommatosam is on a distinguished road. (+10) mommatosam is on a distinguished road. (+10) mommatosam is on a distinguished road. (+10) mommatosam is on a distinguished road. (+10) mommatosam is on a distinguished road. (+10) mommatosam is on a distinguished road. (+10) mommatosam is on a distinguished road. (+10) mommatosam is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I wash mine pretty much after every workout. I wish I didn't have to, but it gets REALLY oily and flat if I don't. Today I decided not to wash it and I can FEEL and SMELL my hair. I ended up having to tie it up in a ponytail cuz it looked so gross....
    "In the quarter century since the idea that women could benefit from strength training kicked in, a powerfully counterproductive notion rose in tandem. That's the idea that women should use exercises and techniques different from those used by men. It's a ridiculous premise, bordering on fraudulence." -Lou Schuler

GOambi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GOambi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GOambi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GOambi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GOambi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GOambi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GOambi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GOambi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GOambi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GOambi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GOambi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I usually wash my hair about 2-3 times a week. But it really all depends on the weather for me. If it gets alittle too oily between washes I use a small amount of baby powder and apply to a cotton ball than dab it on my roots. OR I use TRESemme Dry Shampoo. It came out not too long ago. That works great also! Both are inexpensive compared to other dry shampoo's on the market.

Eat. Sleep. Train. ExclusiveStarr's Avatar
    ExclusiveStarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ExclusiveStarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ExclusiveStarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ExclusiveStarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ExclusiveStarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ExclusiveStarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ExclusiveStarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ExclusiveStarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ExclusiveStarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ExclusiveStarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ExclusiveStarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    My hair is curly and at my upper thighs so I can't wash it with shampoo more than once a week or it would be a dry, frizzy mess and even then I only wash my scalp. . . the rest of the week I just rinse and condition.
    "Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever. That surrender, even the smallest act of giving up, stays with me. So when I feel like quitting, I ask myself, which would I rather live with?" - Lance Armstrong

birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) birdiefu has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ExclusiveStarr View Post
    My hair is curly and at my upper thighs so I can't wash it with shampoo more than once a week or it would be a dry, frizzy mess and even then I only wash my scalp. . . the rest of the week I just rinse and condition.
    Yup, if you hair is long enough, you can just wash the scalp - either by keeping the rest dry and out of the way, or putting conditioner on the length first. Actually, you can "wash" your hair with conditioner only too, I did for years before I moved and got harder water.

mrskalee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Birdie is right. It's called co-washing, when you wash your hair with conditioner instead of shampoo. This is what I do after I work out. You have to rinse the salt "sweat" out of your hair otherwise you're causing more damage.

pmbpro will become famous soon enough. (+50) pmbpro will become famous soon enough. (+50) pmbpro will become famous soon enough. (+50) pmbpro will become famous soon enough. (+50) pmbpro will become famous soon enough. (+50) pmbpro will become famous soon enough. (+50) pmbpro will become famous soon enough. (+50) pmbpro will become famous soon enough. (+50) pmbpro will become famous soon enough. (+50) pmbpro will become famous soon enough. (+50) pmbpro will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Wow. I have a friend going through the same thing. I'd never heard of the "dry shampoo" idea though, so thanks for mentioning it! I'll suggest that for her to try.

Another friend has dreadlocks, so it's a little trickier for her (at least they're still very short though --- "baby locks"), but she washes them it twice a week and re-twists any that need it...

Hmmm... I guess my "hairstyle" ain't an option for any of y'all. Hehe.
    -----------------------------------
    pmb

"If you never get scared - if you never lay it on the line - you never get a shot at all the credit or all the blame." - Kate Jackson, 1978

leigh92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) leigh92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) leigh92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) leigh92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) leigh92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) leigh92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) leigh92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) leigh92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) leigh92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) leigh92 will become famous soon enough. (+50) leigh92 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I go to tae kwon do 3-4 times per week, kickboxing 2-3 times per week, and weightlift 3 times per week, so I'm sweaty a lot lol. People probably hate being around me. Can't wash my hair for all my workouts, so I only wash it about 3-4x per week. I try to make sure I don't smell terrible though (deodorant, perfume, and showering), but sometimes I'm working out three hours a day split up at three different times

Good thing I'm not a social person or I'd be screwed :P

danibel will become famous soon enough. (+50) danibel will become famous soon enough. (+50) danibel will become famous soon enough. (+50) danibel will become famous soon enough. (+50) danibel will become famous soon enough. (+50) danibel will become famous soon enough. (+50) danibel will become famous soon enough. (+50) danibel will become famous soon enough. (+50) danibel will become famous soon enough. (+50) danibel will become famous soon enough. (+50) danibel will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by mommatosam View Post
    I wash mine pretty much after every workout. I wish I didn't have to, but it gets REALLY oily and flat if I don't. Today I decided not to wash it and I can FEEL and SMELL my hair. I ended up having to tie it up in a ponytail cuz it looked so gross....
    This is basically me. If I can smell my scalp, I have to wash my hair.

My hair has become very dry, though. I might have to look into some alternatives to washing it every damn day.

Eat. Sleep. Train. ExclusiveStarr's Avatar
    ExclusiveStarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ExclusiveStarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ExclusiveStarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ExclusiveStarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ExclusiveStarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ExclusiveStarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ExclusiveStarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ExclusiveStarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ExclusiveStarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ExclusiveStarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ExclusiveStarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by birdiefu View Post
    Yup, if you hair is long enough, you can just wash the scalp - either by keeping the rest dry and out of the way, or putting conditioner on the length first. Actually, you can "wash" your hair with conditioner only too, I did for years before I moved and got harder water.
    Do I know you from another forum?
    "Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever. That surrender, even the smallest act of giving up, stays with me. So when I feel like quitting, I ask myself, which would I rather live with?" - Lance Armstrong

AprilShowers13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AprilShowers13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AprilShowers13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AprilShowers13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AprilShowers13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AprilShowers13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AprilShowers13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AprilShowers13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AprilShowers13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AprilShowers13 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AprilShowers13 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I conditioner rinse/co-wash my hair a few times a week. I really just like the way conditioner smells in my hair.

Myshell87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Myshell87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Myshell87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Myshell87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Myshell87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Myshell87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Myshell87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Myshell87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Myshell87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Myshell87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Myshell87 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You really shouldnt wash your hair every day, as it strips the natural oils from your hair, and makes it frizzy and dry.

At most wash it every second or third day.. if you have access to dry shampoo use that, otherwise baby powder does the same thing (just put alittle in your palm and rub it through your scalp).

When i straighten my hair if it gets abit oily i usually put abit of powder in it and im good for another day...

digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000) digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000) digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000) digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000) digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000) digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000) digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000) digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000) digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000) digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000) digitalbath11 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I washed my hair with conditioner this morning... and used a little shampoo in the crown of my hair.

I should incorporate this more often. Thanks girls
    "The Way Out Is Through"

Digital Bath Explained: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tmPBuSpmfA

lilymaisky has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

No wash

Don't wash hair after every workout, not good to your hair. There is easy way to do that, you can use Faciano Dry Shampoo. One bottle for many times, no powder no residue. And it cleans very well.

Xxoxo is not very well liked. (-100) Xxoxo is not very well liked. (-100) Xxoxo is not very well liked. (-100) Xxoxo is not very well liked. (-100) Xxoxo is not very well liked. (-100) Xxoxo is not very well liked. (-100) Xxoxo is not very well liked. (-100) Xxoxo is not very well liked. (-100) Xxoxo is not very well liked. (-100) Xxoxo is not very well liked. (-100) Xxoxo is not very well liked. (-100)
    I just put it up in a bun

anonymous
    Since I was a workout fanatic, I would wash my hair every day - even when it was extremely long. Otherwise, in this steamy heat (S. Florida) it smelled!!! Not to mention all the styling product that was left in it.......now I have uber short, bleached hair, and I still wash it every day. Can't stand to leave product in overnight, and my head sweats like crazy. I use a light oil on my hair, and dry hair shampoo/conditioner. Needless to say, I don't use a blow-dryer or flatiron, which helps tremendously.

cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cjobson is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I have always had extremely dry hair so I've gotten away with only washing it 3x a week even though I work out every day. If I do more cardio, I'll sweat much more and may have to wash it as often as every other day (which I have been lately since I've been running often). But sometimes I can even rub baby powder into my scalp at night and that'll give me an extra day if it's feeling like it could be washed but not too bad. (Sounds kinda gross...but it really works...I swear!!)

xSagax is just really nice. (+1000) xSagax is just really nice. (+1000) xSagax is just really nice. (+1000) xSagax is just really nice. (+1000) xSagax is just really nice. (+1000) xSagax is just really nice. (+1000) xSagax is just really nice. (+1000) xSagax is just really nice. (+1000) xSagax is just really nice. (+1000) xSagax is just really nice. (+1000) xSagax is just really nice. (+1000)
    I wash my hair every other day, I used to drag out on it but I love having clean hair and it doesn't really get frizzy anyway. I felt kind of gross today when I found salt stuck to the hair at the back of my neck haha. Fascinating too. My new gym is a few degrees hotter and I sweat like a pig, thought I wasn't able to sweat like that. Usually wash my temples/neck out with water after the gym if I'm not washing it w shampoo. And dry shampoo is a life saver

armygirlAZ is on a distinguished road. (+10) armygirlAZ is on a distinguished road. (+10) armygirlAZ is on a distinguished road. (+10) armygirlAZ is on a distinguished road. (+10) armygirlAZ is on a distinguished road. (+10) armygirlAZ is on a distinguished road. (+10) armygirlAZ is on a distinguished road. (+10) armygirlAZ is on a distinguished road. (+10) armygirlAZ is on a distinguished road. (+10) armygirlAZ is on a distinguished road. (+10) armygirlAZ is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    TreSemmes dry shampoo has been my hero

viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000) viccles007 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I wash my hair twice a week..if my hair gets a bit itchy from sweat i know its time for another one LOL
    Instagram: vicclesloveskarate
    New log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=170156703&p=1416249753#post1416249753
    Old log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=166758171
    Old log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157799473&highlight=Vic%27s+log

Malaki100 is just really nice. (+1000) Malaki100 is just really nice. (+1000) Malaki100 is just really nice. (+1000) Malaki100 is just really nice. (+1000) Malaki100 is just really nice. (+1000) Malaki100 is just really nice. (+1000) Malaki100 is just really nice. (+1000) Malaki100 is just really nice. (+1000) Malaki100 is just really nice. (+1000) Malaki100 is just really nice. (+1000) Malaki100 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Only when I'm sweating so much my forehead is dripping.
    Matthew 6:19-21: "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

***Capoeirista Crew***
    ***True Blue Crew***

Britanica has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Britanica has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Britanica has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Britanica has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Britanica has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Britanica has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Britanica has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Britanica has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Britanica has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Britanica has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Britanica has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I wash my hair 2 or 3 times a week. When it is on my nerves or super oily, I just throw a bandanna in and pull it back.