Closed Thread
    ClappyTrappy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ClappyTrappy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ClappyTrappy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ClappyTrappy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ClappyTrappy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ClappyTrappy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ClappyTrappy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ClappyTrappy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ClappyTrappy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ClappyTrappy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ClappyTrappy will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Numb fingers after squatting....worried

I've just recently progressed from dumbbell squats to the squat rack. I'm currently squatting 60kg. The first time I used the barbell, I noticed my thumb and index finger went really numb and tingly. But it went away after an hour or so. However, this time, it happened again and it's been 5 hours after my workout and it's still numb.

I read previous threads where people have experience the same thing. The common suggestion was bar placement. But I made sure the bar was resting lower and not on my neck. I didn't feel any pain or discomfort during my reps, but it seems like I've pinched a nerve. Does anyone have any insight on this?

MarcAWilson is a name known to all. (+5000) MarcAWilson is a name known to all. (+5000) MarcAWilson is a name known to all. (+5000) MarcAWilson is a name known to all. (+5000) MarcAWilson is a name known to all. (+5000) MarcAWilson is a name known to all. (+5000) MarcAWilson is a name known to all. (+5000) MarcAWilson is a name known to all. (+5000) MarcAWilson is a name known to all. (+5000) MarcAWilson is a name known to all. (+5000) MarcAWilson is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Happens to me when my shoulder flares up. Median nerve stretches help me, look on youtube.

ClappyTrappy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ClappyTrappy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ClappyTrappy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ClappyTrappy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ClappyTrappy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ClappyTrappy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ClappyTrappy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ClappyTrappy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ClappyTrappy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ClappyTrappy will become famous soon enough. (+50) ClappyTrappy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I just tried the stretch and it does feel awfully tight. I think you're onto something there.

Anyway, it's the next morning now and my fingers are still numb

I'll keep stretching and see how it goes.

<(^_^<) (>^_^)> <(^_^<) AfroMidnite's Avatar
    AfroMidnite is just really nice. (+1000) AfroMidnite is just really nice. (+1000) AfroMidnite is just really nice. (+1000) AfroMidnite is just really nice. (+1000) AfroMidnite is just really nice. (+1000) AfroMidnite is just really nice. (+1000) AfroMidnite is just really nice. (+1000) AfroMidnite is just really nice. (+1000) AfroMidnite is just really nice. (+1000) AfroMidnite is just really nice. (+1000) AfroMidnite is just really nice. (+1000)
    Make sure all the weight is on your back and not being supported by your hands/wrists... Try a wider or narrower hand placement out and see if either feels better afterwards.

dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dmacdonal9 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you have poor shoulder mobility your wrists will flex a lot under the bar, compressing the nerves in your elbows and wrist. Try a "thumb over the bar" grip, and widen your grip slightly to alleviate pressure. Squat high bar over low bar.

You might also have a little underlying carpal tunnel (or cubital tunnel) and lifting is aggravating it enough to be problematic.

Originally Posted by dmacdonal9 View Post
    If you have poor shoulder mobility your wrists will flex a lot under the bar, compressing the nerves in your elbows and wrist. Try a "thumb over the bar" grip, and widen your grip slightly to alleviate pressure. Squat high bar over low bar.

You might also have a little underlying carpal tunnel (or cubital tunnel) and lifting is aggravating it enough to be problematic.
    I've sometimes woken in the middle of the night with numb fingers, but it's never happened during the day, so I always assumed it was from sleeping on my arm or something. But you're right, I might have an underlying condition.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm eager to try out the suggestions, but I'll have to wait for it to heal first. Kinda worried it's showing no sign of getting better, and my whole arm is sort of feeling a bit weak...still fully functional, but just weak. Not sure if I should wait it out or see a doctor....

JordanC4 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ClappyTrappy View Post
    I've sometimes woken in the middle of the night with numb fingers, but it's never happened during the day, so I always assumed it was from sleeping on my arm or something. But you're right, I might have an underlying condition.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'm eager to try out the suggestions, but I'll have to wait for it to heal first. Kinda worried it's showing no sign of getting better, and my whole arm is sort of feeling a bit weak...still fully functional, but just weak. Not sure if I should wait it out or see a doctor....
    Did it ever heal?

aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) aman88 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    A nerve is being pinched somewhere along the way... if it continues/ gets worse then I personally would see a doctor. They may be able to refer you to a physical therapist that specializes in sports type injuries.
    Exercise Physiologist
    M.S. - Exercise and Sport Physiology
    West Chester University of Pennsylvania
    B.S. - Kinesiology
    University of Maryland

*Note: I am in no way, shape, or form suggested for anyone to do anything. Anything I post is purely based off of my own personal experience and opinions. If you decide to follow or do anything I say, that is of your own free will and not my suggestion.*