nsanservino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nsanservino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nsanservino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nsanservino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nsanservino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nsanservino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nsanservino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nsanservino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nsanservino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nsanservino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nsanservino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

First Post -- Any Feedback Appreciated

Hello everyone. I've been following this forum for a while, have used the search function and thought it was time to post and get some feedback. I apologize in advance for the length of the post. Feel free to ignore it if it's too long.

Anyways, I'm 36 years old and started working out consistently for the first time 8 months ago. I'm going to post my workout program and diet below. If any of you have constructive feedback, I'd appreciate hearing from you. Thanks.

MY WORKOUT PROGRAM

I normally workout 6 days per week, for no more than an hour each day.

1. Chest day (M & Th): I do barbell bench press; incline barbell bench press; machine flies; dumbbell incline bench press; and finish by either maxing out on dips or pushups. All exercises are 3x8 with the exception of barbell bench. My last barbell bench routine was as follows: warmup (bar & 135x5); 155x5; 175x5; 185x4; 195x2; 155x6; and 135x6. 90-120 second rest between each set. On Thursdays, I do lighter weights than I do on Mondays.

2. Arm day (Tu & Fri): I do 3x8 supersets of the following, with a 90 second rest between sets -- ez bar curl/skull crushers; hammer curls/cg bench; chinups/tricep pushdowns. I sometimes do an extra tricep exercise as well. Again, I do lighter weights on Fridays than on Tuesdays.

3. Back/Shoulder/Legs (Wed & Sat): 3x8 sets of military press; shoulder shrugs; rows and 3x5 sets of wide grip pullups. I then do 4-5 sets of deadlifts (if you want to call them that) on one of the hammer strength machines (there is no place to properly deadlift where I work out). I also do 2-3 leg exercises (again, no proper place to squat but I sometimes do smith machine squats but, as suggested here, keep my feet out in front of me more than when doing a regular squat).

4. Abs: normally work them out 2 days per week. On one day, I do weighted ab exercises -- 2 for upper abs; 2 for lower; and 1-2 for obliques. The other day, I do the P90X ab ripper routine following my weight workout.

MY DIET

I currently am trying to gain weight, and have been "bulking" since late July. My BMR as of late July was about 2500 cals. In late July I was about 140 pounds. I am now 158 pounds, so I've been gaining about 5 pounds a month.

My bodyfat percentage in mid-July (measured by a trainer with calipers) was 12.7% and it actually went down (assuming it was measured correctly) to 11.8% in mid-September even though I gained 10 pounds. I'm getting my bodyfat % checked every 2 months, so next measurement is mid-November.

My diet since late July has been consuming 3,000-3,500 calories per day, with protein consumption 1.5x my bodyweight. Fat is about 20-25% of my calories, with carbs making up the rest. I eat much of the same thing every day, which consists basically of the following (note: I track my calories every day on fitday.com):

Two 50g whey protein shakes with milk
    Oatmeal with blueberries and almonds
    Two plain, grilled chicken sandwiches (sometimes turkey) for lunch
    Eggs
    Almonds & cranberries from starbucks
    Two cups of coffee with cream
    Water
    Protein Bar
    Foods like salmon; steak; turkey; chicken for dinner. Will do pasta every once in a while.
    Vegetable soups
    Granola crips/chips
    I do have ice cream or a similar dessert about 2x per week

GOALS

Originally, back in February 2010, I was the most I ever weighed, which was 163. The weight didn't show anywhere except my belly and I didn't want to be a short, pot-bellied guy. So the first goal was to lose weight. I started lifting as well, along with doing HIIT cardio on a regular basis. I eventually got down to 138 and my goal was to try and get a 6-pack, but then I realized I had no muscle to go along with it. Therefore, in July, I decided to bulk. So I've gone from 138 to 158 since July.

Here's where I think I need the greatest input. My plan is to continue to bulk through the end of the year, particularly if my bodyfat % stays in check. From there, I will start the new year by "cutting" slowly back to say 150 pounds and hopefully get my bodyfat % low enough to see my abs.

If you've read this far, I owe you a beer (or at least something healthy if you don't drink). Thanks.

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by nsanservino View Post
    If you've read this far, I owe you a beer (or at least something healthy if you don't drink). Thanks.
    I intend to collect...

More seriously, it sounds like you're on the right track and the only thing I question is your eventual target weight of 150lbs, which I think is a bit low for your height, even if you achieve an extremely low percentage of body fat.

nsanservino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nsanservino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nsanservino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nsanservino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nsanservino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nsanservino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nsanservino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nsanservino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nsanservino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nsanservino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nsanservino has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ^Thanks. I really wasn't sure what my target weight should be so I appreciate the feedback. Feel free to collect at your convenience.

WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    ^Thanks. I really wasn't sure what my target weight should be so I appreciate the feedback.
    At your height, I'd shoot for at least 10 to 15 pounds and perhaps as much as 20 pounds more than your stated goal weight.

djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) djflex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    op , if a bulk is your main goal I would mix your split up to devote more time and sets to legs. Increasing your leg mass can help you in other areas you may not expect...just a thought

ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Smile

Hello everyone. I've been following this forum for a while, have used the search function and thought it was time to post and get some feedback. I apologize in advance for the length of the post. Feel free to ignore it if it's too long.

Anyways, I'm 36 years old and started working out consistently for the first time 8 months ago. I'm going to post my workout program and diet below. If any of you have constructive feedback, I'd appreciate hearing from you. Thanks.

MY WORKOUT PROGRAM

I normally workout 6 days per week, for no more than an hour each day.

1. Chest day (M & Th): I do barbell bench press; incline barbell bench press; machine flies; dumbbell incline bench press; and finish by either maxing out on dips or pushups. All exercises are 3x8 with the exception of barbell bench. My last barbell bench routine was as follows: warmup (bar & 135x5); 155x5; 175x5; 185x4; 195x2; 155x6; and 135x6. 90-120 second rest between each set. On Thursdays, I do lighter weights than I do on Mondays.

2. Arm day (Tu & Fri): I do 3x8 supersets of the following, with a 90 second rest between sets -- ez bar curl/skull crushers; hammer curls/cg bench; chinups/tricep pushdowns. I sometimes do an extra tricep exercise as well. Again, I do lighter weights on Fridays than on Tuesdays.

3. Back/Shoulder/Legs (Wed & Sat): 3x8 sets of military press; shoulder shrugs; rows and 3x5 sets of wide grip pullups. I then do 4-5 sets of deadlifts (if you want to call them that) on one of the hammer strength machines (there is no place to properly deadlift where I work out). I also do 2-3 leg exercises (again, no proper place to squat but I sometimes do smith machine squats but, as suggested here, keep my feet out in front of me more than when doing a regular squat).

4. Abs: normally work them out 2 days per week. On one day, I do weighted ab exercises -- 2 for upper abs; 2 for lower; and 1-2 for obliques. The other day, I do the P90X ab ripper routine following my weight workout.

MY DIET

I currently am trying to gain weight, and have been "bulking" since late July. My BMR as of late July was about 2500 cals. In late July I was about 140 pounds. I am now 158 pounds, so I've been gaining about 5 pounds a month.

My bodyfat percentage in mid-July (measured by a trainer with calipers) was 12.7% and it actually went down (assuming it was measured correctly) to 11.8% in mid-September even though I gained 10 pounds. I'm getting my bodyfat % checked every 2 months, so next measurement is mid-November.

My diet since late July has been consuming 3,000-3,500 calories per day, with protein consumption 1.5x my bodyweight. Fat is about 20-25% of my calories, with carbs making up the rest. I eat much of the same thing every day, which consists basically of the following (note: I track my calories every day on fitday.com):

Two 50g whey protein shakes with milk
    Oatmeal with blueberries and almonds
    Two plain, grilled chicken sandwiches (sometimes turkey) for lunch
    Eggs
    Almonds & cranberries from starbucks
    Two cups of coffee with cream
    Water
    Protein Bar
    Foods like salmon; steak; turkey; chicken for dinner. Will do pasta every once in a while.
    Vegetable soups
    Granola crips/chips
    I do have ice cream or a similar dessert about 2x per week

GOALS

Originally, back in February 2010, I was the most I ever weighed, which was 163. The weight didn't show anywhere except my belly and I didn't want to be a short, pot-bellied guy. So the first goal was to lose weight. I started lifting as well, along with doing HIIT cardio on a regular basis. I eventually got down to 138 and my goal was to try and get a 6-pack, but then I realized I had no muscle to go along with it. Therefore, in July, I decided to bulk. So I've gone from 138 to 158 since July.

Here's where I think I need the greatest input. My plan is to continue to bulk through the end of the year, particularly if my bodyfat % stays in check. From there, I will start the new year by "cutting" slowly back to say 150 pounds and hopefully get my bodyfat % low enough to see my abs.

I agree with WonderPug, you are on the right track. A couple of observations though;
    why are you concerned with how much you weigh? LBM should be your goal. Bulking is tricky, losing the excess fat is tough. Also, why the concentration on abs and obliques?
    Are you trying to make them bigger? Toning them should be enough while bulking. You can sculpt them during your cut. And lastly, why an arm day? Especially the day before you do back and shoulders where your bi's and tri's get a lot of work.
    Not to be critical, just observations. I wish you the best.

Killian draft sounds good.

Originally Posted by djflex View Post
    op , if a bulk is your main goal I would mix your split up to devote more time and sets to legs. Increasing your leg mass can help you in other areas you may not expect...just a thought
    Good point.

It's only after I introduced two days of heavy squatting per week that my overall progress really took off. For whatever reason (probably hormonal), intense leg workouts (especially squats) are incredible at stimulating overall growth.

Originally Posted by ljimd View Post
    I agree with WonderPug, you are on the right track. A couple of observations though;
    why are you concerned with how much you weigh? LBM should be your goal. Bulking is tricky, losing the excess fat is tough. Also, why the concentration on abs and obliques?
    Are you trying to make them bigger? Toning them should be enough while bulking. You can sculpt them during your cut. And lastly, why an arm day? Especially the day before you do back and shoulders where your bi's and tri's get a lot of work.
    Not to be critical, just observations. I wish you the best.

Killian draft sounds good.
    ^Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'm not concerned really about my total weight, just had no idea what the ideal weight would be for me.

I figured that ab/oblique work wasn't absolutely necessary while bulking, but the though-process is that it would mean that I won't have to work/sculpt them as much when I cut. Is this wrong? If so, can I get away with doing no ab work during my bulk so long as I work them hard during a cut?

I like the superset arm day because I can finish it in about 35 minutes and have not noticed (so far) it impacting my back/shoulder day. That being said, would you suggest I split up the arm day? Thanks again. Killian on the way.

* Thanks to the other poster re: the leg exercise suggestion. I'm going to start working them out more.

ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ^Thanks for the feedback. I guess I'm not concerned really about my total weight, just had no idea what the ideal weight would be for me.

I figured that ab/oblique work wasn't absolutely necessary while bulking, but the though-process is that it would mean that I won't have to work/sculpt them as much when I cut. Is this wrong? If so, can I get away with doing no ab work during my bulk so long as I work them hard during a cut?

I like the superset arm day because I can finish it in about 35 minutes and have not noticed (so far) it impacting my back/shoulder day. That being said, would you suggest I split up the arm day? Thanks again. Killian on the way.

* Thanks to the other poster re: the leg exercise suggestion. I'm going to start working them out more.
    Remember you are going to get a lot of indirect ab work with your other exercises and like any other muscle it will grow with work. I'm sure your abs are the only muscle(s) on your body that you hope does not grow too much. (Oblique work will make your waist look wider.) I suggest you finish off a couple of your wo's with some crunches or rope tucks. Your six-pack will come with diet.

I used to be obsessed with arms and like you and did arm days for years. But usually all I did was pre-exhaust my arms for other important work. Now I do triceps on push days and biceps on pull days at the end of the wo when the other work is done.

Also I can't be more supportive of what the other posters said about leg work. It make a world of difference in your mass program. A good physique has to squat. I know you said it's tough for you to squat and deadlift at your gym - try this - do a few sets of each with some heavy dumbells 10 to 15 reps each set. I bet it gets your attention and you won't be in anyone's way. It will keep you going until you can find a spot to squat and do your deads.

flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Welcome to the forums. I am no expert, so i wont give advice, but I was curious of your body fat %. The last time I had mine checked I was 15% with calipers by a trainer as well. I do not feel like I have lost any bf since then. Looking at your picture, it does not look like 11.8%. Not flaming you...just curious. I have never really trusted these measurments.

Michael

BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BankWalker has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I concur. It appears that you have your act together. This is the best "first post" that I've seen here in a long time. I can't foresee a Flex "facepalm" or Iron Chuck scolding you for having a negative attitude.

flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) flat6nut is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I think you need to have a day dedicated to legs on their own. Cant get big without making big wheels.

Originally Posted by flat6nut View Post
    I think you need to have a day dedicated to legs on their own. Cant get big without making big wheels.
    Thanks for all of your replies. All very helpful. More legwork is something I'm going to make a priority starting this week.

Also thanks for the suggestions re: whether to have an exclusive arm day or not.

Finally, to the poster who raised the bodyfat % issue, I honestly have no idea whether 11.8% is accurate and if it's not and I'm actually closer to 15% that's cool. In any event, I appreciate your opinion and didn't think you were flaming at all. Bottom line -- whether I'm at 15% or 11% is not a big deal to me right now. I just hope to gain muscle/LBM and then be able to see my abs at some point when I cut, regardless of what body fat % that will be.

Thanks again guys.

stratboy77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for all of your replies. All very helpful. More legwork is something I'm going to make a priority starting this week.

Also thanks for the suggestions re: whether to have an exclusive arm day or not.

Finally, to the poster who raised the bodyfat % issue, I honestly have no idea whether 11.8% is accurate and if it's not and I'm actually closer to 15% that's cool. In any event, I appreciate your opinion and didn't think you were flaming at all. Bottom line -- whether I'm at 15% or 11% is not a big deal to me right now. I just hope to gain muscle/LBM and then be able to see my abs at some point when I cut, regardless of what body fat % that will be.

Thanks again guys.
    lately I have been doing a focused leg workout every 5th day and its very simple, 5x5 squats and stiff deadlifts, and calf raises. its my shortest workout but most intense and I have had the best gains ever on my legs, I do regular deadlifts on my back/chest day

discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) discdoggie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BankWalker View Post
    I concur. It appears that you have your act together. This is the best "first post" that I've seen here in a long time.

I agree. Good luck with your goals, OP.

Originally Posted by BankWalker View Post
    I can't foresee a Flex "facepalm" or Iron Chuck scolding you for having a negative attitude.
    I don't think anyone can foretell or predict with any accuracy what other people are going to post here and why.

My mind is blown at what is posted here some times.
    Sheriff John Brown always hated me
    For what I don't know
    Every time I plant a seed
    He said kill them before they grow