Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Dirk_ is a name known to all. (+5000) Dirk_ is a name known to all. (+5000) Dirk_ is a name known to all. (+5000) Dirk_ is a name known to all. (+5000) Dirk_ is a name known to all. (+5000) Dirk_ is a name known to all. (+5000) Dirk_ is a name known to all. (+5000) Dirk_ is a name known to all. (+5000) Dirk_ is a name known to all. (+5000) Dirk_ is a name known to all. (+5000) Dirk_ is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by MikeK46 View Post
    These are the only ones that caught my attention and that I'd eat if I wanted protein bars. Take heed. Finally a bar that's not a candy bar with protein added. We want quality protein as the main ingredient, and sweetener as the last. Though I wouldn't mind if it had some more carbs (hint: oatmeal) and was sweetened with fruit instead of sucralose.

Ingredients: Whey Protein Isolate, Milk Protein Isolate, Chicory Root Fiber, Natural Peanut and Almond Butters, Peanuts and Almonds, Sea Salt and Natural Flavors, Lo Han Guo, Sucralose

http://questproteinbar.com/
    That's all the ingredients???? And it tastes good?
    That's pretty amazing if it tasted good.
    I have never seen this bar before...thank you.

Originally Posted by samcanadian View Post
    At the end of the day, that above poster was right...I can usually just make my own stuff for cheaper and with better macros
    But for the people who feel that, you aren't really the person I am going after to buy, right...

Originally Posted by mminguela View Post
    Damn you beat me to it! OP..Make these bars for a lower price and ill buy a case.
    I will look into this for sure

Dirk_ is a name known to all. (+5000) Dirk_ is a name known to all. (+5000) Dirk_ is a name known to all. (+5000) Dirk_ is a name known to all. (+5000) Dirk_ is a name known to all. (+5000) Dirk_ is a name known to all. (+5000) Dirk_ is a name known to all. (+5000) Dirk_ is a name known to all. (+5000) Dirk_ is a name known to all. (+5000) Dirk_ is a name known to all. (+5000) Dirk_ is a name known to all. (+5000)
    These are the only ones that caught my attention and that I'd eat if I wanted protein bars. Take heed. Finally a bar that's not a candy bar with protein added. We want quality protein as the main ingredient, and sweetener as the last. Though I wouldn't mind if it had some more carbs (hint: oatmeal) and was sweetened with fruit instead of sucralose.

Ingredients: Whey Protein Isolate, Milk Protein Isolate, Chicory Root Fiber, Natural Peanut and Almond Butters, Peanuts and Almonds, Sea Salt and Natural Flavors, Lo Han Guo, Sucralose

http://questproteinbar.com/
    I just checked there site...I'm impressed.
    Looks like a good bar.
    How's the taste!?

Sir Flexalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sir Flexalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sir Flexalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sir Flexalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sir Flexalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sir Flexalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sir Flexalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sir Flexalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sir Flexalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sir Flexalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sir Flexalot is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Looks pretty good, but why add sucrose to the dried fruit? The protein is also quite low, despite having the whey added.
    We add no extra sugar - the fruit is manufactured that way.

Regarding the protein, keep in mind that the serving size is relatively small. It's larger than your typical single-serving Quaker oatmeal packet, but still it's only 1/3 cup, about 58g. We're also not specifically aiming at the bodybuilding world with this product - although it is very good for us bb'ers - it also hits the healthy moms and "people who know they need more protein in their diet but aren't sure about where to get it" markets. We got some early feedback that some people were scared away by a higher protein content that we had in an earlier version of PRO OATS. Not everyone is like us on this forum, always looking for all the protein in the world. So we reduced it to hit a larger market space.

In the future, I'd definitely like to add a higher-protein version of PRO OATS to our lineup. Believe me we have our sights set very high for this product! For now, though, we're trying to not outgrow our budget and grow the brand as it is.

Thanks for the feedback. Keep it comin'.

Max
    Founder/Creator of PRO OATS
    google PRO OATS to find us (against the forum rules to advertise a product not sold on bb.com)

OP - sorry about the threadjacking.

Viat is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viat is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viat is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viat is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viat is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viat is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viat is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viat is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viat is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viat is on a distinguished road. (+10) Viat is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If people are willing to pay to have their whey and oatmeal mixed together for them they'd certainly be willing to pay for the convenience of pre-baked things. My only advice would be to skip the bars altogether (there's too many of them on the market) and to go for things like muffins and scones, which haven't been done as much.

MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by mcascone View Post
    We add no extra sugar - the fruit is manufactured that way.
    The ingredients in the fruit say "sugar," so someone is adding it

I agree, though. This will be more appealing to moms trying to be healthier. You're put "Instant" on it to steal the customers away from Quaker Instant oats. Those into fitness/nutrition are turned off by the word "Instant" when it comes to oats, most of us already know that is overly processed & packed with sugar and artificial ingredients. So we're not your best market.

The "bodybuilders" version of this, in my opinion, should swap the word "Instant," in favor of "Quick", add more protein (like you mentioned), and get rid of the "sugar" in the ingredients. But most importantly...bulk packaging. If we are to eat this all day every day, these small packages aren't gonna do it. Bodybuilders buy big tubs of oats and big tubs of protein.

For reference, I do a cup of oats, a scoop of protein, and about 75 calories of fruit. It comes to 8.5g fat, 63g carbs, 33g protein, and 460 calories...and I get a full cup of oats. A full cup of your oats would put me at over 600 calories.

So where can I find these Quest bars?
    What city?

2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 2020Wellness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Check ours out, you'll probably like what you see.

http://2020-wellness.com/?p=paycheck

http://2020-wellness.com/?p=paychecklite

http://2020-wellness.com/?p=fuel2burn

http://2020-wellness.com/?p=recharge

http://2020-wellness.com/?p=lightweight

We've supplied well known pros with our bars before and recieve positive feedback from all of them. Our ingredient lists are short and simple. They are based around my own diet, and are formulated by my wife and I.

We like our concepts of specific bars for specific times, as it helps make pre and post workout nutrition very simple.

Let me know what you think if you have a minute or two.
    trainingwithryan.substack.com

nothing but a peppercorn Rambo26's Avatar
    Rambo26 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rambo26 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rambo26 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rambo26 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rambo26 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rambo26 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rambo26 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rambo26 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rambo26 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rambo26 is a name known to all. (+5000) Rambo26 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I don't eat bars but Quest look great

You can only get them from the website AFAIK
    All posts should be considered in the correct context, especially those in the Misc section.

desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) desslok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Most dried fruit has sugar added, in addition to sulfites etc for preserving. I have a hard time finding no added sugar dried fruit, Trader Joes has some. Same with juices, you see juice in the store boldly stating "No Sugar Added", but they leave out the detail that the main ingredient "juice concentrate" had sugar added to it by whoever made the concentrate. Details, details.

Sir Flexalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sir Flexalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sir Flexalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sir Flexalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sir Flexalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sir Flexalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sir Flexalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sir Flexalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sir Flexalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sir Flexalot is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sir Flexalot is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I agree, though. This will be more appealing to moms trying to be healthier. You're put "Instant" on it to steal the customers away from Quaker Instant oats. Those into fitness/nutrition are turned off by the word "Instant" when it comes to oats, most of us already know that is overly processed & packed with sugar and artificial ingredients. So we're not your best market.

The "bodybuilders" version of this, in my opinion, should swap the word "Instant," in favor of "Quick", add more protein (like you mentioned), and get rid of the "sugar" in the ingredients. But most importantly...bulk packaging. If we are to eat this all day every day, these small packages aren't gonna do it. Bodybuilders buy big tubs of oats and big tubs of protein.

For reference, I do a cup of oats, a scoop of protein, and about 75 calories of fruit. It comes to 8.5g fat, 63g carbs, 33g protein, and 460 calories...and I get a full cup of oats. A full cup of your oats would put me at over 600 calories.
    Again, the sugar comes from the processing of the fruit - we don't add any extra.

I disagree with your statement that bodybuilders "are turned off by... overly processed & packed with sugar and artificial ingredients." - are you serious? Most of the bodybuilding supplements on the market today are packed with sugar and artificial flavors and colors, and as we know they sell like hotcakes. (I've never bought a hotcake.) Personally I'm on your side, and I won't buy anything - supplement or otherwise - that has the word "artificial" in its ingredients, or any other kind of preservative or unnatural coloring. My disagreement is with the idea that the bodybuilding market would be turned off from something that's processed and artificial - the products flying off the shelves disprove that.

I think that people like you and me who seek out a range of products that are all-natural are in the minority - a growing market, of course, but in the minority compared to the people who don't avoid artificial ingredients religiously.

Also just to reiterate, there are no artificial colors or flavors or anything unnatural in PRO OATS. It's oats, protein powder and fruit. The "quickness" of the oats is achieved just from another round of rolling the oats, which cracks the hull more than regular oats, so they absorb water more quickly, hence the faster cooking time. There's nothing less natural about them compared to regular slow oats.

All of this is kind of moot anyway, since we're not specifically aiming PRO OATS at the bodybuilding market. I think it's a good choice for bodybuilders, due to its all-natural ingredient profile and its nutritional values. Obviously, there are plenty of us who make our own stuff, and obsess over the numbers of every food item - I do it myself. This product isn't meant to be hardcore like that. But I think it's a valuable addition to the pantheon of health food products, especially because it's all-natural.

Oh, and bulk packaging is definitely in our plans, as well as single-servings packets. For now we're focusing on getting our primary product, the seven-serving pouch, into as many markets as possible.

Thanks - keep the comments coming!

and OP, sorry about the threadjack.

MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) MikeK46 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by mcascone View Post
    Again, the sugar comes from the processing of the fruit - we don't add any extra.

I disagree with your statement that bodybuilders "are turned off by... overly processed & packed with sugar and artificial ingredients." - are you serious? Most of the bodybuilding supplements on the market today are packed with sugar and artificial flavors and colors, and as we know they sell like hotcakes. (I've never bought a hotcake.) Personally I'm on your side, and I won't buy anything - supplement or otherwise - that has the word "artificial" in its ingredients, or any other kind of preservative or unnatural coloring. My disagreement is with the idea that the bodybuilding market would be turned off from something that's processed and artificial - the products flying off the shelves disprove that.

I think that people like you and me who seek out a range of products that are all-natural are in the minority - a growing market, of course, but in the minority compared to the people who don't avoid artificial ingredients religiously.

Also just to reiterate, there are no artificial colors or flavors or anything unnatural in PRO OATS. It's oats, protein powder and fruit. The "quickness" of the oats is achieved just from another round of rolling the oats, which cracks the hull more than regular oats, so they absorb water more quickly, hence the faster cooking time. There's nothing less natural about them compared to regular slow oats.

All of this is kind of moot anyway, since we're not specifically aiming PRO OATS at the bodybuilding market. I think it's a good choice for bodybuilders, due to its all-natural ingredient profile and its nutritional values. Obviously, there are plenty of us who make our own stuff, and obsess over the numbers of every food item - I do it myself. This product isn't meant to be hardcore like that. But I think it's a valuable addition to the pantheon of health food products, especially because it's all-natural.

Oh, and bulk packaging is definitely in our plans, as well as single-servings packets. For now we're focusing on getting our primary product, the seven-serving pouch, into as many markets as possible.

Thanks - keep the comments coming!

and OP, sorry about the threadjack.
    Again, I said that someone is adding it. You've already stated that you personally don't add it. As desslok pointed out, its most likely your dried fruit supplier putting it in. Or it could be Santa Claus. It makes no difference to me, the consumer..the point is that its in there, and, as the seller, you're the one throat to choke

You're right...it would've been more accurate I guess to say "health freaks" when it comes to avoiding artificial ingredients. I agree that many bodybuilders have no problem buying processed supplements packed with artificial ingredients. But, as you say, you're not targeting bodybuilders specifically. If you were, you'd focus on taste first and foremost..followed by tons of protein and "slow release" carbs, while minimizing the "evil" fats. That would probably appeal to most bodybuilders, even if it has more artificial ingredients than natural ones.

andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) andrerox80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by 2020Wellness View Post
    Check ours out, you'll probably like what you see.

http://2020-wellness.com/?p=paycheck

http://2020-wellness.com/?p=paychecklite

http://2020-wellness.com/?p=fuel2burn

http://2020-wellness.com/?p=recharge

http://2020-wellness.com/?p=lightweight

We've supplied well known pros with our bars before and recieve positive feedback from all of them. Our ingredient lists are short and simple. They are based around my own diet, and are formulated by my wife and I.

We like our concepts of specific bars for specific times, as it helps make pre and post workout nutrition very simple.

Let me know what you think if you have a minute or two.
    those actually look pretty good. much better ingredient list than most. usually quest and larabars (not really protein bars, per se) are the only ones i'd even consider (still find it better to make my own to better fit my needs), but those look fairly solid. if you're ever giving out samples, i'd be interested.

mcascone -

b/c of this, i don't really see how it would really appeal to bb'ers or even to moms who want more protein in their diet (or however you worded it). would imagine they'd want lower cal / better portion size.
    Last edited by andrerox80; 11-01-2010 at 10:17 AM.

Originally Posted by andrerox80 View Post
    mcascone -
    b/c of this, i don't really see how it would really appeal to bb'ers or even to moms who want more protein in their diet (or however you worded it). would imagine they'd want lower cal / better portion size.
    Compared to the other flavored oatmeals out there, including from Quaker and Kashi, we have half the sodium, half the sugar, and 2.5x the protein than their offerings. We have a comparison chart on our website that illustrates this. This is for a normalized serving size, that is, these numbers are all for the same serving size.

So we actually beat the big brands in every category, including (just barely) calories, and really are superior in sodium, sugar and protein. That's gotten a big "wow" response during our demos at stores.