Flav has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Baseball lifting/workout programs.

Hi, my name is Flavio. I am a college athlete and I am looking for some good workout/lifting programs to do in the off-season and in the pre-season (I don't really like the one we have at my college. I don't think it is really good).

Right now I am almost done with a basic strenght workout and pretty soon I would like to start a max strenght workout.. and after that a explosive power workout.

Does anyone know or have any workout programs from other D1 colleges or baseball academies?

Thank you!!!

Flav

silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yerh bro, love baseball . I'm from Australia and my strength and conditioning program came from an elite baseball academy called the VIS. It's just basically compound movements to strengthen your baseball needs.

Squats: 8,8,6,6
    Bench press: 8,8,6,6
    Deadlifts: 8,8,6,6
    Bench pull: 8,8,6,6
    Chin ups: max,max,max

Very basic and simple but it will really help improve your strength and baseball. Don't do the same rountine for moths either, change it up every month or so. So do back squats one month and front squats the next, bench press one month dumbbell press the next...

I just recently signed with the Yankees bout a week ago now so hopefully see you over there in future bro.

studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50) studlete will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Flav View Post
    Hi, my name is Flavio. I am a college athlete and I am looking for some good workout/lifting programs to do in the off-season and in the pre-season (I don't really like the one we have at my college. I don't think it is really good).

Right now I am almost done with a basic strenght workout and pretty soon I would like to start a max strenght workout.. and after that a explosive power workout.

Does anyone know or have any workout programs from other D1 colleges or baseball academies?

Thank you!!!

Flav
    check your pm's
    www.strengthathletes.com

"Preperation predicts outcome" -Jon Kalnas

ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Flav View Post

Thank you!!!

Flav
    Whatever you do avoid bar bench. Stick with dumbbell bench. Bar bench puts more strain on the shoulder than dumbbell does.

ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by silva14 View Post
    Yerh bro, love baseball . I'm from Australia and my strength and conditioning program came from an elite baseball academy called the VIS. It's just basically compound movements to strengthen your baseball needs.

Very basic and simple but it will really help improve your strength and baseball. Don't do the same rountine for moths either, change it up every month or so. So do back squats one month and front squats the next, bench press one month dumbbell press the next...

I just recently signed with the Yankees bout a week ago now so hopefully see you over there in future bro.
    You're 16....how did you sign with the Yankees?

champion w8lifter in prog boykid28's Avatar
    boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000)
    he's not from the states so (i think) he can get signed at that age. i was undrafted by the braves 2 years ago and i was 17. i only lasted for 3 months in the minors before they told me to bounce. mlb teams seem to like young foreign guys more than developed american guys cause its cheaper to take the young foreigner.
    -we are what we repeatedly do. therefore, excellence is not an act but a habit.
    -sollevatore di pesi campione in corso
    -"that guy is running in shorts"Dr.House
    "he's not running, he's trolling"Dr.Wilson

gym PR's:

snatch:90kg
    clean & jerk:117.5kg
    total:202.3kg

oly squat:179.5kg

journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130985093

Originally Posted by boykid28 View Post
    he's not from the states so (i think) he can get signed at that age. i was undrafted by the braves 2 years ago and i was 17. i only lasted for 3 months in the minors before they told me to bounce. mlb teams seem to like young foreign guys more than developed american guys cause its cheaper to take the young foreigner.
    Ahhh one of those things where the minor league teams grab you at an early age to see if you actually progress like they think you might?

Interesting...

DA_MOSS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DA_MOSS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DA_MOSS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DA_MOSS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DA_MOSS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DA_MOSS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DA_MOSS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DA_MOSS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DA_MOSS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DA_MOSS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DA_MOSS has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

What round were you drafted in? A guy I trained was also drafted by the Yankees in the June draft
    Proud member of the Who Dat Nation since '87!

Sky Dive Crew

silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) silva14 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yerh like that guy said earlier, I'm from Australia so we can sign at an earlier age then Americans. The cut off date is June I think and you have to be at least 16 by that date...

Don't do bench press??? Thats crazy man I'm sorry. Your saying a compound lift like bench press puts strain on your shoulders? In the gym your ment to put your muscles under stress and load... That's how we get bigger and stronger... My opinion anyway...

DTyner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DTyner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DTyner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DTyner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DTyner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DTyner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DTyner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DTyner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DTyner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DTyner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do alot of sprints and running as well. Speed is a big deal when it comes to D1 colleges.

Iriart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Iriart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Iriart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Iriart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Iriart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Iriart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Iriart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Iriart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Iriart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Iriart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Iriart has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Your gonna want to work your core a ton.

jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by DA_MOSS View Post
    What round were you drafted in? A guy I trained was also drafted by the Yankees in the June draft
    He was not signed in the draft. The draft is almost 100% made up of guys coming out of high school in the states or college. 16 is the youngest they can sign you ... very common in the dominican republic ... that way they can teach you the right way to play and not build bad habits. It's like a free agent contract but they don't pay great because most are 16-18 and it won't matter. If you are a success they start giving you more and bring you to the states but if not .... they haven't used much of their money.

Yerh like that guy said earlier, I'm from Australia so we can sign at an earlier age then Americans. The cut off date is June I think and you have to be at least 16 by that date...

Don't do bench press??? Thats crazy man I'm sorry. Your saying a compound lift like bench press puts strain on your shoulders? In the gym your ment to put your muscles under stress and load... That's how we get bigger and stronger... My opinion anyway...
    The argument is not ... should I bench? .... it's a matter of barbell vs dumbbell. Barbell bench puts your shoulder in a fixed position where things can go wrong quick or cause damage by overuse. Your too young to have seen much damage to anybody close in age, but the older you get, the more injuries you will see from barbell bench. Position players can use it .... I used barbell once per week and dumbbell once per week .... but pitchers should stick to dumbbells with a neutral grip. If you can push up 100lb dumbbells, you are still going to be quite strong, and better off shoulder wise. Also, dumbbells force your arms to be equal in strength because each press is one side of the body instead of your strong side pulling more than it's fair share .... it will help you identify weaknesses.
    =============================================
    My Training Log:
    new log soon!

My statement was don't bar bench. When I was in college I was dumbbell benching 100's for reps. Dumbbells is what I am saying....not no bench.

Originally Posted by ven33 View Post
    My statement was don't bar bench. When I was in college I was dumbbell benching 100's for reps. Dumbbells is what I am saying....not no bench.
    yerh sweet, thats fare enough.
    "Life's too short to be small"

boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000) boykid28 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ven33 View Post
    personally i thing the standing press is healthier for the shoulders than the bench press cause u have to stabalize the weight rather than the bench(the object not movement) stabalize u. u would build more core strength and u cant use as much weight so (there is hopefully) less chance of injury to the gurdle. * i am not talking about the behind the neck press*

gym PR's:

oh...... since i love baseball ill give u a website that i think is very helpfull to bball players. www.beabetterhitter.com. me personally i did olympic weightlifting because i am from italy and that is what we did as kids, along with soccer, but i dont reccommend it for bball players because a) requires teaching to learn b)requires some serious coordination and c) takes lots of time to learn [it is a sport]. if u had a trainer who would show u the lifts properly(like the oly lifters) and u know u r gonna work with him for 2+years then i would reccomend it. i would reccommend sprints, baserunning (conditioning such as 4 sprints to 1st from home, 3 sprints to 2nd, 2 sprints to 3rd, 1 in the park homerun. all with 1 minute brakes), and medicine ball core work with rotation. just my opinion.

gym PR's:

I tried to stay away from shoulder lifts....except dumbbell press, and I never went above 45 lb dumbbells. Outside of throwing and rotator cuff work...that's enough work for the shoulders imo.

Flav has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

baseball

Thank you everyone! I appreciated it!

jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    personally i thing the standing press is healthier for the shoulders than the bench press cause u have to stabalize the weight rather than the bench(the object not movement) stabalize u. u would build more core strength and u cant use as much weight so (there is hopefully) less chance of injury to the gurdle. * i am not talking about the behind the neck press*
    A vertical press is the opposite movement of what throwing is. Not only that but heavy lifting can do some serious damage .... just because you throw overhand doesn't mean you need to press for shoulders.
    My Training Log:
    new log soon!

Originally Posted by jgood View Post
    A vertical press is the opposite movement of what throwing is.
    and what exactly is wrong with that? He should do curls instead right?
    heavy lifting can do some serious damage
    a) only if his muscles arent warmed up enough. b) he is pushing too far out of a reasonable max effort. If u can only lift 30lb dumbbells why attempt 90's?
    just because you throw overhand doesn't mean you need to press for shoulders.
    i never tried to imply that. I said it was healthier on the shoulders than the bench press, which, by the way, is even less specific than the overhead press. U dont punch the ball or lay down in bball. At the least u raise ur arms above ur head if u throw overhand.

Lightbulb

and what exactly is wrong with that? He should do curls instead right? a) only if his muscles arent warmed up enough. b) he is pushing too far out of a reasonable max effort. If u can only lift 30lb dumbbells why attempt 90's?
    i never tried to imply that. I said it was healthier on the shoulders than the bench press, which, by the way, is even less specific than the overhead press. U dont punch the ball or lay down in bball. At the least u raise ur arms above ur head if u throw overhand.
    Never said do curls instead. Curls are used for balance in muscles in baseball not for huge performance increases.

Not warming up is only one of many possible causes for injury. You have left out bad form as well as overuse. You obviously have seen very little if any rotator tears and arm problems. What is a consistent factor? Bad form and heavy overhead pressing,

I disagree that overhead lifting is healthier. Yes you use less weight but you are using smaller muscles which puts greater stress on smaller muscles .... A recipe for disaster. Not to mention throwing causes changes in your body ....overhead lifting hinders throwing.

Look up approximation vs traction on google.

Also, yes you don't push the ball but triceps are huge for baseball and the fastest way to strengthen them is through horizontal pressing. In hitting, at contact bench pressing is more specific.

/argument
    My Training Log:
    new log soon!

Originally Posted by jgood View Post
    Not warming up is only one of many possible causes for injury. You have left out bad form as well as overuse.
    true. true. i left those two out.

You obviously have seen very little if any rotator tears and arm problems. What is a consistent factor? Bad form and heavy overhead pressing,
    not true. i had a stint in the minors, as one of those minimum wage (baseball wise) foreigners, and failed terribly. and i major in physical therapy,have a pt certification. ive seen my fair share of limb tears and injuries in general.
    basball related shoulder tears: overuse and muscle imbalaces ( this is also true for most team sports also, ESPECIALLY IN SOCCER).
    general strength training population: trying to lift their e-stats (trying to bench 315lbs to impress their ego, when they only weigh 140lbs and cant even do 135lbs) ,not warmed up (a couple arm swings with the 5lb plate doesnt cut it),no range of motion [going to the smith machine, putting 5plates on each side and doing "stiff leg squats and stiff arm bench" (this is the ROM im describing.on top of heavy weight they cand handle)].

I disagree that overhead lifting is healthier. Yes you use less weight but you are using smaller muscles which puts greater stress on smaller muscles .... A recipe for disaster. Not to mention throwing causes changes in your body ....overhead lifting hinders throwing.
    its your opinion. we just have different view on the same topic. but i will say this: isnt the point of strength training to strengthen the body? if your smaller muscles are weak then isnt that a recipe for disaster when u go about performing strenuous task that those smaller muscles cant handle?

Look up approximation vs traction on google.

Also, yes you don't push the ball but triceps are huge for baseball and the fastest way to strengthen them is through horizontal pressing. In hitting, at contact bench pressing is more specific.

/argument
    no nead for an argument. just a discussion with us on opposite sides.
    if u wanted me to read that first link that came up then i did. i think this was the link: http://www.elitefts.com/documents/overhead_athlete.htm. he made some good points. but i will disagree with some of his points also.
    in turn i want u to read this paper.
    http://www.professionalperformance.n...s/baseball.pdf

if the link doesnt come up then type in: over head press and throwing. (with the space between the word overhead.

if u dont read it then ill summarize it: the main cause for injury "DURING THE OVERHEAD PRESS" is fatigue from the rotator cuff and overuse. i did disagree with some of his points/opinions also.

gym PR's:

To each their own ... I agree you need to work the shoulders out but this is an ongoing argument. My personal opinion is to not risk it because if it does cause injury it can be career ending easily.
    My Training Log:
    new log soon!