Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

NikoliBear is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit NikoliBear's BodySpace

Sertraline (Zoloft) and Lack of Muscle Pump

Hello, I'm a first time poster here so go gentle. - This may not be the correct place for this post, apologies in advance if this is the case.

I was prescribed Sertraline (The generic of Zoloft/Lustral) just over 3 weeks ago.
    I took just ONE tablet (50mg) and experienced a light "hollow" feeling throughout my body about 4 hours later,so subsequently called my Dr and stopped the medication, this feeling continued over to the next day when in the gym and it was impossible to achieve a muscle pump. I also have feelings of mental "Cloudiness" which started the day after I took the tablet. It is now 3 weeks on and I still cannot achieve a muscle pump in the gym however I feel that I have increased energy and am able to do almost twice the dips I could before, however without the pump, I also feel a bit foggy and have impaired memory (short term).

The same thing happened to me over summer when I tried Citalopram, I took ONE tablet and stopped after the lack of pump in the gym the next day. I recovered overnight about 5 days later. Went to bed feeling strange woke-up cured.

I have researched Sertraline in my medical lib. at university and understand the Half-life (26hrs) as well as the pharmacology and blood-bindings etc..

Just looking for a bit of advice from anyone who has heard similar things and essentially someone who has had the same experience.

- Had my blood-works at my GP today and will wait for results, first phase showed Thyroid, Test etc at normal levels.

Thanks a lot for reading a hope you guys can shed some light on the subject.

Cheers,

Nikoli.

p.s. Only thing I can think of, is a perhaps problem with the excretion of the drug through the liver, or an augmenting of the half-life by protein shakes?? Prob. Unlikely as I use egg white protein and brown rice protein.

My diet is of frest fruit and veg with lean meats and oats. I supplement with brown rice protein powder and egg-white protein powder, L-Glutamine and Cod liver oil.

Again, Thanks. Replies would be much appreciated.

N.

Stats: 6'0", 215 lbs
    BodyPoints: 56743
    pu12en12g has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) pu12en12g has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) pu12en12g has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) pu12en12g has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) pu12en12g has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) pu12en12g has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) pu12en12g has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) pu12en12g has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) pu12en12g has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) pu12en12g has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) pu12en12g has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit pu12en12g's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by NikoliBear View Post
    Hello, I'm a first time poster here so go gentle. - This may not be the correct place for this post, apologies in advance if this is the case.

I was prescribed Sertraline (The generic of Zoloft/Lustral) just over 3 weeks ago.
    I took just ONE tablet (50mg) and experienced a light "hollow" feeling throughout my body about 4 hours later,so subsequently called my Dr and stopped the medication, this feeling continued over to the next day when in the gym and it was impossible to achieve a muscle pump. I also have feelings of mental "Cloudiness" which started the day after I took the tablet.
    Zoloft essentially ruined my life

If possible (don't know your details) I'd ASK to switch to something like Wellbutrin
    CONTROLLED LABS - WINNING the WAR against GENETICS
    Senior Research and Development Consultant

Email: pt [at] controlledlabs.com

Disclaimer: The above post is my PERSONAL OPINION and DOES NOT REPRESENT the official position of any company. It DOES NOT constitute medical advice. CONTROLLED LABS products are produced in a GMP for Sport certified facility (no hormones produced in the facility/no cross contamination).

Originally Posted by pu12en12g View Post

If possible (don't know your details) I'd ASK to switch to something like Wellbutrin
    I'm now not planning on taking anything unless absolutely necessary in the future.
    I'm just very concerned about the remaining physical symptoms:- (Lethargy, Inability to get pump, and trouble ordering my thoughts.)

My GP called yesterday and wanted to re-test elements of blood. My nurse, at the re-test today let me look at the markers and it appears they are testing liver toxicity and function, It may be possible, since the drug is excreted through the liver that an impairment may allow the drug to stay in the system...however it will be a month on friday since I took the ONE tablet. Sounds like a very unlikely scenario as one pill should really only stay in the system about 4/5 days (H/life 26hrs). I'm just glad they finally showing an interest as I had to visit 4 Gp's within the practice and literally beg the last one to test my bloods. Getting pretty sick of hearing..."Just go for a gentle run if your muscles aren't working properly..." Yeah...how about working with me to try and fix the problem that has been caused by me taking your advice in the first place.
    Sorry for the rant I know its bit OTT but when you level with a GP that going to the gym everyday really has given you a new start and your life back, you expect to be met with more than a blank look or "I can't understand that".

Nikoli

Stats: 5'9", 171 lbs
    Tyler44 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Tyler44 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Tyler44 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Tyler44 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Tyler44 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Tyler44 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Tyler44 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Tyler44 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Tyler44 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Tyler44 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Tyler44 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Tyler44's BodySpace

You have struck my curiosity. In my office we have a few patients on zoloft and have not heard this stuff b4.

Originally Posted by Tyler44 View Post
    You have struck my curiosity. In my office we have a few patients on zoloft and have not heard this stuff b4.
    Yes, I'm guessing its quite rare, there was another post that I found where someone described similar symptoms however it was advised in this case that the drug was being taken alongside other supplements. - showthread.php?p=567039081 - Nevertheless I think my own problems described stem from Sertraline (I can't speak for the post above), as this happened to me before with Citlopram, however with the effects stopping when the drug half-life expired.

Thanks,

Nikoli.

OK I cant post links yet (as less then 30) but paste this in after the: forum.bodybuilding.com on this site to see the thread. showthread.php?p=567039081

Stats: 5'9", 195 lbs
    BodyPoints: 2727
    Destructodave has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Destructodave has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Destructodave has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Destructodave has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Destructodave has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Destructodave has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Destructodave has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Destructodave has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Destructodave has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Destructodave has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Destructodave has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Destructodave's BodySpace
    I'd just get off the ssri at all costs of you can.

I honestly dont think I ever fully recovered from being on the crap for 9 months. I went to the doc over extreme social anxiety and they hooked me up with depakote max dose and celexa max dose. I started at i think 25 yrs old.

Not only did it not do anything for me, it wrecked my sex life. I went from being able to get it up 2 or 3 times in a row to 1 time. 1 and done, at 25. And took forever to get off, so wasn't that bad.

I finally got tired of taking the medicine because it was expensive and wouldnt work. I still had extreme anxiety. Well 6+ months after im still having the same sexual side effects(at 26), being a 1 and done man, except now i have a case of pre. I'm like wtf why am i still not being able to get it up but 1 time? I'm 26 yrs old, and 1 yr ago i could go 3-4 times in row. You tellin me my body dropped off that fast in a year?

So I get to searchin on the net, wondering why im still experiencing side effects, and find out people are experiencing something called "PSSD" Post SSRI Sexual Disorder. Meaning these damn sexual side effects last for untold amounts of time afterwards for some people, or permanently. Wtf is this crap you know?

I honestly, at 28, still feel nothing like I did before the medicine. Sexually especially, and mentally. It did absolutely zero to help me, and gave me even more problems. I think i actually had better sexual times on the drug then now that im off it.

It has gotten marginally better. Im still a 1 and done dude(rediculous) unless i got some good refractory time. Even then, when i get horny a 2nd time, I actually lose my mood during sex and poof there it goes sometimes. I just dont feel the same mentally after the drug.

Its been 2+ yrs now since i stopped takin those drugs. Ppl can tell me its all in my head all they want, but i went from a 3-4 5 min. refractory time 25 yr old to a 1 and done 26, 27, etc. yr old.

Pills are trash. Dump them.
    On BB.com, you can: be a pedophile, talk about beating women, be a bigot, racist, constantly flame and call people all manners of names and phaggots, post half-naked women 24/7, threaten people IRL, etc.

But making fun of some dead celebrity will get you banned. Go figure.

BodyPoints: 31168
    Rodzilla has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Rodzilla has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Rodzilla has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Rodzilla has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Rodzilla has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Rodzilla has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Rodzilla has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Rodzilla has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Rodzilla has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Rodzilla has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Rodzilla has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Rodzilla's BodySpace
    I was about to quote all the individual posts, but I'll just address everyone.

Any anti-depressant use should be overseen by a psychiatrist. General Practitioners generally will not have the background needed to prescribe appropriately.

I think loss of pump from one 50mg dose is highly unlikely. Even if you had something that was extending the halflife of the drug, especially from 26hours to 3 weeks. This may just be an area that causes you anxiety, thus you're holding on to the thought of your "pumps" being inhibited.

We're you getting pumps before the medication? Have you switched your diet/training?

All things to consider.

FWIW, I always suggest talk therapy be paired with medication.
    @RodzillaReviews
    RodzillaReviews.com
    How to be HEALTHY and fit.
    http://jcdfitness.com/

Realize that most people with an affiliation to a supplement company in their signature have ulterior motives when making recommendations. They're primarily concerned with pushing their products. Not your safety or what's best for you.

Originally Posted by Rodzilla View Post
    I was about to quote all the individual posts, but I'll just address everyone.

Any anti-depressant use should be overseen by a psychiatrist. General Practitioners generally will not have the background needed to prescribe appropriately.

I think loss of pump from one 50mg dose is highly unlikely. Even if you had something that was extending the halflife of the drug, especially from 26hours to 3 weeks. This may just be an area that causes you anxiety, thus you're holding on to the thought of your "pumps" being inhibited.

We're you getting pumps before the medication? Have you switched your diet/training?

All things to consider.

FWIW, I always suggest talk therapy be paired with medication.
    I agree with you RE: GP's not having the background to prescribe AD's.

Yes, I think loss of pump from one dose is Pharmacologically impossible being as the elimination h/L=26hrs. {The Bioavailability is 44% and Protein binding is at 95%: Which was the reasoning for my hypotheses that I could have augmented the half-life with diet/decreased liver function etc.} As I understand it, only a very small portion of the drug is metabolized resulting in the SSRI effect the rest is excreted through the liver. The drug does have a second half life which is L=80hrs Male & h/L=160 F.Male however I do not have the relevant literature in front of me to explain this, I seem to remember from lectures two years back that this does not effect the actual mechanism or effect of the drug and is more to do with Total Elimination, the point where there is no trace of the drug in the system. (For taking other AD's).
    -As only a small portion of the drug is used if the rest is "stuck" somewhere in the body it could (in my own opinion) be possible to remain feeling like you are "on the drug" for a while from only taking one tablet if there is no way for the remaining unused % of the tablet from being excreted in the body.

I understand this is HIGHLEY unlikely are it is much more likely that I have given my system a "Shock" from taking the tablet that it is requiring time to get over. However I can't shake the feeling that I am still taking the tablet. It feels just like the day I first took it. Lack of pump, Fuzzy head heart rate cannot get over 140 on the treadmill and a sense of detachment as well as decreased sexual desire and enjoyment.

I am getting my Phase 2 blood-works today. I would imaging if I am correct they may show an impairment of the liver resulting is extend Elimination h/L.

I know how unlikely this sounds. I am not a qualified MD-Hematologist nor Pharmacist, If anyone is Internal Medicine or just knows more than me please have a crack at solving this problem as is seriously getting me down and i'l wishing I was back where I was when I first approached my GP- Seriously, I would be delighted!

This lack of pump is not something I am imagining or related to a trigger from stressing about the first time it happened. However I can see how it would appear that way and thank you for your suggestion. Like many people on this site I know my own body well from years or training and something is "Not right" as well as the low h/r on tread mill and the loss of muscle pump.

Thank you all again for reading, hopefully a solution will present itself and this thread will be here for other people should there be any who encounter this problem also.

Best,
    Nikoli.

BodyPoints: 31168
    Rodzilla has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Rodzilla has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Rodzilla has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Rodzilla has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Rodzilla has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Rodzilla has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Rodzilla has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Rodzilla has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Rodzilla has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Rodzilla has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Rodzilla has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Rodzilla's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by NikoliBear View Post
    I agree with you RE: GP's not having the background to prescribe AD's.

Yes, I think loss of pump from one dose is Pharmacologically impossible being as the elimination h/L=26hrs. {The Bioavailability is 44% and Protein binding is at 95%: Which was the reasoning for my hypotheses that I could have augmented the half-life with diet/decreased liver function etc.} As I understand it, only a very small portion of the drug is metabolized resulting in the SSRI effect the rest is excreted through the liver. The drug does have a second half life which is L=80hrs Male & h/L=160 F.Male however I do not have the relevant literature in front of me to explain this, I seem to remember from lectures two years back that this does not effect the actual mechanism or effect of the drug and is more to do with Total Elimination, the point where there is no trace of the drug in the system. (For taking other AD's).
    -As only a small portion of the drug is used if the rest is "stuck" somewhere in the body it could (in my own opinion) be possible to remain feeling like you are "on the drug" for a while from only taking one tablet if there is no way for the remaining unused % of the tablet from being excreted in the body.

I understand this is HIGHLEY unlikely are it is much more likely that I have given my system a "Shock" from taking the tablet that it is requiring time to get over. However I can't shake the feeling that I am still taking the tablet. It feels just like the day I first took it. Lack of pump, Fuzzy head heart rate cannot get over 140 on the treadmill and a sense of detachment as well as decreased sexual desire and enjoyment.

I am getting my Phase 2 blood-works today. I would imaging if I am correct they may show an impairment of the liver resulting is extend Elimination h/L.

I know how unlikely this sounds. I am not a qualified MD-Hematologist nor Pharmacist, If anyone is Internal Medicine or just knows more than me please have a crack at solving this problem as is seriously getting me down and i'l wishing I was back where I was when I first approached my GP- Seriously, I would be delighted!

This lack of pump is not something I am imagining or related to a trigger from stressing about the first time it happened. However I can see how it would appear that way and thank you for your suggestion. Like many people on this site I know my own body well from years or training and something is "Not right" as well as the low h/r on tread mill and the loss of muscle pump.

Thank you all again for reading, hopefully a solution will present itself and this thread will be here for other people should there be any who encounter this problem also.

Best,
    Nikoli.
    Understood. By no means was I trying to give you the, "It's all in your head" type response. I can tell by your original post that you've probably explored many of the more simplistic explanation.

Please keep us updated with results. I'm interested, and hoping for the best.
    @RodzillaReviews
    RodzillaReviews.com
    How to be HEALTHY and fit.
    http://jcdfitness.com/

Realize that most people with an affiliation to a supplement company in their signature have ulterior motives when making recommendations. They're primarily concerned with pushing their products. Not your safety or what's best for you.

Originally Posted by Rodzilla View Post
    Understood. By no means was I trying to give you the, "It's all in your head" type response. I can tell by your original post that you've probably explored many of the more simplistic explanation.

Please keep us updated with results. I'm interested, and hoping for the best.
    Thanks brother,

Yeah I got my P2 Bloods back and show negative for Epstein-Barr/Mono, Anemia and ME/Fatigue Syndrome. My liver function had slight impairment but that can be discounted, as it was fine on first pass bloods and I have a slight cold ATM. Essentially that is a clean bill of health physically. My GP actually said to me thats the end of the road as he's now officially drawing a blank and said he can no longer be of assistance RE: Sertraline hangover/reaction.
    To be fair I am angry as I trusted him to understand the workings of Sertraline when he gave it to me, I now understand he has no knowledge of the pharmacology nor neurological functions of the drug. I understand he has followed the Bio-Medical model in diagnosis and treatment but I had to say when I left that:

1. I came to see dr. with a problem.
    2. Took advice from dr. and accepted Sertraline script: Made problem worse/added physical symptoms.
    3. Went back to dr. Advised he did not understand fully how Sertraline works.
    4. Went back to dr. Advised Sertraine cannott cause side effects described.
    5. Went back to dr. Had physical.
    6. Went back to dr. Had bloods Ph1.
    7. Went back to dr. Had bloods Ph2.
    8. Dr advised problem not understood but not essential to health and closing case.

Summary: Went to dr with small problem. Came away with large problem. Have been advised problem unsolvable or unclassifiable.

I have spoken to the Physio. at my gym and they can put me in contact with a Sports Medicine MD. However this is very expensive for a short appointment- £130. a half-hour.
    I have decided to go ahead as I have nothing to lose having seen various dr's over the last month.

I also have an appointment with a Neurologist this week. (A supervising dr. from my degree course) Who hopefully will give me time to talk it all out and help me reach a solution.

I have continued my own research and have begun taking: N-Acetyl Cysteine @ 600mg. Daily via oral capsule. I believe this supplement to be of high antioxidant value, there are some research papers indicating that it is also a neurological antioxidant and individual cases where people have claimed great success with the supplement as a Detox-Aid.
    I am continuing to eat a high protein healthy diet and try to continue my work outs as best as I can.

Thank you again for the replies and I will keep updating this forum with posts of my progress. If anyone has any information or experiences of using N-Acetyl Cysteine as an antioxidant then please let me know.

all the best,

Nikoli.

OK-

Had a referral to a Psych-Dr who explained the workings and options RE: Finding a solution.

Essentially just said he has never heard of this as a side effect and it may be possible as a symptom of depression. Had to level with him and said I am not depressed took Sertraline as was having bouts of extreme restlessness at sleeplessness when going to bed followed by night-terrors. (Have dealt with this for years naturally) and am regretting the day where I accepted dr's advice for AD's.

I am no closer to a solution, I thought that perhaps as a dose of Sertraline has "Shocked" my system into a different mode of operating a dose of another AD may shock it back. However I am reluctant to try anything other then Wellbutrin (Which is not available in UK off label). I am thinking of just taking nothing and trying to get back into my old routine however this is pretty difficult as I feel like a whole different person with the muscle issues as well as brain-fog etc. Hopefully this will clear in time.

If anyone has experience please share as I have found a few people online who have had similar experiences with SSRI's.

Thanks again,

Nikoli.

Situation is still ongoing,

Still working out and maintaining same lifts in gym. However still can't get or feel "Pumped", body still feels numb and light and even after heavy sessions arms/chest etc do not achieve hypertrophy. Although my heart is really hammering in the gym and feel like I am going to black out. Went to the ER 2 weeks ago with this after a workout and got them to run heart-trace, which came back normal.

Still have this feeling of unreality, have explored this "Depersonalization" in medical papers and researched it heavily. Seems to be a recognised side effect of SSRI/SNRI's.

6 weeks on from taking 2 pills and am still in the same place. Just trying to keep on going with things at gym and studies.
    Saw new Dr. who offered more SSRI's/Tetracyclic/Benzodiazepines etc. Said I'll pass due to my previous bad reaction.

Have came across a few people who had similar things, any comments would be appreciated as we all know how reassuring it is to hear someone else who has experienced the same things.

Thanks,

Nikoli.

Teach Me How to Dougie asianstyles's Avatar
    Stats: 5'5", 156 lbs
    asianstyles has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) asianstyles has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) asianstyles has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) asianstyles has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) asianstyles has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) asianstyles has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) asianstyles has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) asianstyles has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) asianstyles has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) asianstyles has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) asianstyles has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit asianstyles's BodySpace
    i understand your concern with the health related side effects, but why are you so concerned about the lack of muscle pump?
    Not affiliated

Originally Posted by asianstyles View Post
    i understand your concern with the health related side effects, but why are you so concerned about the lack of muscle pump?
    Thank you for replying,

In short; Because its totally abnormal for my own muscles to not achieve hypertrophy when under the stress of my usual gym workout;

While I understand the importance of the pump is debated in terms of positive effect on muscle growth. I personally feel it helps to gauge my workouts, I believe myself that an increase in blood aids in repairing of micro-tears by carrying protein to the muscle during exercise, while ensuring that you become fatigued when your muscles reach their limit.
    The absence of these factors inhibits my progress in the gym due to the lack of "normal" pump/feeling etc. After 10years its difficult to get used to not achieving a pump after only 6 weeks.

Thank you for your comment if you have any insight into this I would be happy to hear it.
    Thanks again.

Nikoli.

Bump

The Next Jason Voorhees Da Main Man's Avatar
    Stats: 5'9", 244 lbs
    BodyPoints: 15513
    Da Main Man has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Da Main Man has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Da Main Man has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Da Main Man has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Da Main Man has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Da Main Man has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Da Main Man has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Da Main Man has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Da Main Man has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Da Main Man has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Da Main Man has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit Da Main Man's BodySpace
    sounds familiar :/
    Tell your Girlfriend i said thanks....

Stats: 5'10", 185 lbs
    waorks05 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) waorks05 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) waorks05 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) waorks05 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) waorks05 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) waorks05 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) waorks05 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) waorks05 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) waorks05 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) waorks05 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) waorks05 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit waorks05's BodySpace
    I was on Wellbutrin for a little under a year and it wreaked havoc on me, my blood pressure sky rocketed, my resting pulse rose 30bpm over my baseline. What was the Docs answer? Here take this Beta_Blocker which zapped me of all motivation and i became incredibly lethargic. The last year of my life was hell, becuse of these types of meds.

BodyPoints: 542
    antihero has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) antihero has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) antihero has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) antihero has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) antihero has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) antihero has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) antihero has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) antihero has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) antihero has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) antihero has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) antihero has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit antihero's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by Destructodave View Post
    I honestly dont think I ever fully recovered from being on the crap for 9 months. I went to the doc over extreme social anxiety and they hooked me up with depakote max dose and celexa max dose. I started at i think 25 yrs old.
    Depakote is by far the worst perscription drug I've ever taken. 2250mg / day for epilepsy for 8 years. Thank god I'm off that sh*t.
    antihero [@] seriousnutritionsolutions.com

bump.

I'm still here and in the same situation.

I have shed approx. 1 stone of muscle and am gaining fat although have tried reducing diets etc. Still all same problems. My whole frame has shrunk and I continue to shed lean muscle It is now VERY noticeable with fellow-bodybuilders asking me if I have quit the gym.

I have maintained working out and lifts but it makes no difference. My lifts have gone steadily down although I am still trying 100%.

I have been to see a Private Dr. Who is a qualified sports doctor (DiP.S/M, BM.BS) Incidentally she is very highly recommended and is a reg. Doctor for the olympics athletes. Not cheap.

She advised it may be a case of overtraining and recommended I take one month off everything. This makes sense once she explained the effect overtraining can have on the Pertruity axis via Hippocampus. However I did take 3 weeks off over Xmas after considering this myself and made no difference.

I have had my test and cortisol ration double-checked. Again private.

My test showed: 10.6 on initial. Normal Range (Low-normal in my opinion)
    And 16.8 in Second pass. Which is normal (I believe 10-35 UK measurements)

I got both tests done 8.30 in the morning.

I am at the end of what I can do about this. I have shed a huge amount of muscle and am incapable of building lean mass.

I have increased/decreased diet etc and have eliminated any environmental factors such as different training/diet etc so I really have tried everything.

The next step I feel i to try and handle the situation myself with a test. booster essentially this is a last resort as although I have all the symptoms of low.test ie. Memory issues etc. My T/Co ration shows normal range (as Illustrated above)

I have researched Tribulus terrestris fairly extensively in my medical lib. I do not have the knowledge to reach a conclusion on the safety/effectiveness of this drug although studies do appear to indicate that it does elevate test and more concretely libido.

Can anyone please offer me some help. Guidance. Alternatives.
    I am only prepared to use a natural test. booster at this stage.
    If anyone has any insight into what's happening physically please also comment.

I have seen many doctors who have no idea what is happening. I am constantly told every avenue has been explored and essentially I am a "Closed case".

As you can imagine also being into lifting this is a great issue impacting confidence and also emotional burden.

I will pay privately to see an Endocrinologist (test. Hormone specialist) when I have the money.

Thank you all for reading and I appreciate input in advance.

Nikoli .

Bump

Please read ADVICE needed!!!

Please Read ADVICE needed!!!

Stats: 5'6", 172 lbs
    Mekhahertz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit Mekhahertz's BodySpace
    Hi there NikoliBear, I experienced some of the symptoms you described, but the funny thing is I have been on sertraline before for years, then weaned off for more than three years. Then, because I wasn't having much sleep or was having a hard time getting asleep, I started taking it again, but felt immediately different from what I remembered of having felt like previously (I experienced almost no symptoms at all and felt great): this time I felt restless, empty headed, drained, etc. then I stared weaning off again, and the symptoms stabilized when I started taking only a quarter of a 50mg pill (~12,5 mg), which is clearly a sub-clinical dosage. Ok, I stayed on it for some time, then stopped taking it altogether (too expensive, minimum gain). On Saturday night, though, I started having the same problems with getting asleep again, then I decided to take a quarter of a pill. First night it was ok, slept like an angel, but felt empty headed next morning. On Sunday night I took another quarter, fall asleep pretty quickly, but then woke up at 5 o'clock today, and couldn't get asleep again. Later I went to the gym and, to my surprise, I felt completely drained, my heart started racing, and I wasn't able to lift half as much weight or do the same number of reps I'm used to. Then I started feeling completely noxious and sick and had to come back home half way through my workout plan. Now I'm feeling much better, since the dosage is probably wearing off and I don't intend to take another one.

I understand your problem is much more more serious since you've been experiencing muscle loss, which leads me to think it might be rhabdomyolysis, caused by impaired liver function. I remember reading your liver enzymes were a little bit altered, had any doctors pursued this line of thought?

It's been more than a year since your last post. Please, keep us posted.

Hello Mekhahertz. Thank you for replying.

Sorry for delay in contacting you. I was also on Sertraline for 3 years around 8 years before this incident in 2010 with no problems at all, and no side effects. However it appears possible that the medication reacted differently with me a second time around.

I will post a more up-to-date and complete report of my current progress in a day or so, I am still experiencing reduced muscle gain from what I was used to up until two years ago, however I have managed to lean-out and gain some definition as opposed to being 'bulked up'.

Thank you also for your insight into Rhabdomyolysis, this may be an avenue that I can check for..however I am unsure if Rhabdomyolysis could have continued for so long (2 years and a bit) without some level of liver-failure (which I would know about). However, It is probably worth me having my myoglobin and creatine tested, I do also seem to remember having elevated creatine levels at some stage of blood-work although I had not used creatine for at least a year.

Thank you again for your insight and I will update this thread as soon as I have a chance.

Best regards,

Nikoli

Stats: 6'1", 168 lbs
    BenBobAndy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit BenBobAndy's BodySpace

Sertraline Side Effects

I have been on Sertraline for roughly 4-5 months now and I have already noticed similar symptoms as to what you are describing. I have been active all my life and have always been pretty lean. I graduated with a degree in Kinesiology & Exercise Science, so I definitely know how the body is supposed to react to consistent resistance training and a clean diet. I have always had really well defined muscles with little body fat and would always get a great pump in the gym. Once I started taking Sertraline, after time, through monitoring my body through weight, diet, pictures, size, and strength, I have noticed a significant drop in muscle mass and what appears to be an increase in fat mass (not ok with me at all!)...The weight scale reads higher, however I don't look or fit into my shirts like I used to. I have noticed a dramatic decline in the mass in basically my entire upper body, esepcially my Chest, Delts, Bis, and Tris. It's exhaustingly troubling having to go through this, because the reason I am on the Sertraline is because I get slight anxiety/Depression due to my body appearance....now I am on this drug and it is causing the demise of my body and feeding the very reason I am on it! I never miss a workout and have a great deal of knowledge when it comes to diet, exercise, and supplements, so it is frustrating knowing the material and how my body should react, when it is doing the exact opposite. It is almost as if I am experiencing an act of atrophy when I should be developing lean mass through hypertrophy, especially with my training!