Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Grant73 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The 5/3/1 can be used in a more traditional "bodybuilding" split. This is what I am doing and Jim even outlined a "bodybuilding" split. Here is how split it.
    Mon Shoulders/Arms
    OHP 5/3/1
    Tues Legs
    Squats 5/3/1
    Wed Rest
    Thurs Chest
    Bench 5/3/1
    Fri Back
    Deadlift 5/3/1
    Of course I do more exercises.

sheepforsale has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Can only hit the gym twice a week nowadays due to other commitments. I think 5/3/1 might be my best option as a result.

Can you guys critique this routine?

Tuesday

Bench 5/3/1 Sets and reps

Strict Press: 5*5 (Sets across)

Squat: 5/3/1 sets and reps

RDLs: 5x5 or 3x8 pyramiding weight

Chin Ups superset with GHRs

Saturday

Push Press: 5/3/1 sets and reps

Bench: 5x5 (Sets across)

Deadlift: 5/3/1 sets and reps

Squats: 5x5 Sets Across

Chin Ups ss Back Extensions

I have not tried Boring But Big but it sounds like a stupid idea. What is the point of doing 5 sets of 10 reps? Surely that'll only improve your endurance?

Anyway, might invest in a band as well so I can do pullaparts to try and offset the volume of pressing listed.

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by sheepforsale View Post
    I have not tried Boring But Big but it sounds like a stupid idea. What is the point of doing 5 sets of 10 reps? Surely that'll only improve your endurance?
    To build muscle.

10 rep sets fall squarely within the sarcoplasmic hypertrophy range.

M2Hawk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I used 5/3/1 to get through a bench press period where I just could not get past a plateau. It sucked to have to drop the weight back so much at first but paid off in the end

mattimusrex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    A couple of quick questions, for the 5/3/1 BBB

I don't have access to DBs because I workout at home with a barbell set/power rack. Could I sub in BB rows instead of DB rows for the assistance exercise, or would there be a better choice? Also, no leg curl machine. I'm at a loss for what I could use instead of leg curl for a similar assistance exercise. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by mattimusrex; 01-19-2012 at 08:32 AM.

mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000) mmorton is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by mattimusrex View Post
    A couple of quick questions, for the 5/3/1 BBB

I don't have access to DBs because I workout at home with a barbell set/power rack. Could I sub in BB rows instead of DB rows for the assistance exercise, or would there be a better choice? Also, no leg curl machine. I'm at a loss for what I could use instead of leg curl for a similar assistance exercise. Any suggestions?
    yes, just remember the rows are high rep so dont load too much on there.. sub RDLs for the leg curls.. Good mornings will also help
    {{**DIRTY SOUTH CREW**}}

Strength Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141019611&p=806856321#post806856321

Drive/Uncut Review:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158011943

gillG is on a distinguished road. (+10) gillG is on a distinguished road. (+10) gillG is on a distinguished road. (+10) gillG is on a distinguished road. (+10) gillG is on a distinguished road. (+10) gillG is on a distinguished road. (+10) gillG is on a distinguished road. (+10) gillG is on a distinguished road. (+10) gillG is on a distinguished road. (+10) gillG is on a distinguished road. (+10) gillG is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Awesome post man! Really helped me out as well!

baxx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    great article... 5 stars

iintruder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iintruder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iintruder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iintruder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iintruder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iintruder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iintruder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iintruder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iintruder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iintruder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iintruder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    rep for some feedback on my layout of 531 for the coming fall/winter once i have a sufficient amount of strength:

Monday: Deadlift/Lower Body
     Deadlift 5/3/1
     Front Squat 5 x 10
     SLDL 5 x 10
     Calf Raises 5 x 10

Tuesday: CARDIO(30 MIN)&ABS(3x10)

Wednesday: Benchpress/Upper Body
     Benchpress 5/3/1
     BB Row 5 x 10
     Arnold Press 5 x 10
     Pull-Ups 5 x 10
     Skulls 3 x 10
     DB Curl 3 x 10

Thursday: CARDIO(30 MIN)&ABS(3x10)

Friday: Squat/Lower Body
     Squat 5/3/1
     SLDL 5 x 10
     Front Squat 5 x 10
     Calf Raises 5 x 10

Saturday: Military Press/Upper Body
     Military Press 5/3/1
     BB Row 5 x 10
     Flat DB Press 5 x 10
     Pull Ups 5 x 10
     Skulls 3 x 10
     DB Curl 3 x 10

Sunday: Rest
    If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
    -Carl Sagan

Follow my Log, http://tinyurl.com/73hu6ju

Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by iintruder View Post
    rep for some feedback on my layout of 531 for the coming fall/winter once i have a sufficient amount of strength:

Monday: Deadlift/Lower Body
     Deadlift 5/3/1
     Front Squat 5 x 10
     SLDL 5 x 10
     Calf Raises 5 x 10

Tuesday: CARDIO(30 MIN)&ABS(3x10)

Wednesday: Benchpress/Upper Body
     Benchpress 5/3/1
     BB Row 5 x 10
     Arnold Press 5 x 10
     Pull-Ups 5 x 10
     Skulls 3 x 10
     DB Curl 3 x 10

Thursday: CARDIO(30 MIN)&ABS(3x10)

Friday: Squat/Lower Body
     Squat 5/3/1
     SLDL 5 x 10
     Front Squat 5 x 10
     Calf Raises 5 x 10

Saturday: Military Press/Upper Body
     Military Press 5/3/1
     BB Row 5 x 10
     Flat DB Press 5 x 10
     Pull Ups 5 x 10
     Skulls 3 x 10
     DB Curl 3 x 10

Sunday: Rest
    It's not bad, it may possibly be too much. Perhaps you might want to scale back the accessories at first. Remember, less is often more in this game. Then as you progress through a few cycles and you better understand what you can handle more can be added in. What are you planning on running through the summer?
    We don't rise to the occasion, we fall to our level of training.

I was born a shotgun in my hands. Behind the gun I'll make my final stand and that's why they call me Bad Company

Sensible Liberals for Trump 2016 Crew

iintruder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iintruder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iintruder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iintruder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iintruder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iintruder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iintruder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iintruder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iintruder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iintruder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) iintruder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Bumpus View Post
    It's not bad, it may possibly be too much. Perhaps you might want to scale back the accessories at first. Remember, less is often more in this game. Then as you progress through a few cycles and you better understand what you can handle more can be added in. What are you planning on running through the summer?
    summer and now will be babylover's ss 4xweek and progressing quite well.
    Workout A
    Squat- 3x5
    Bench Press- 3x5
    BB Row- 3x5
    Chins- 4x5
    Bicep Work- 3x8
    Rear Delt Work- 3x8

Workout B
    Front Squat- 3x5
    MP's- 2x5
    Deadlift- 1x5
    Dips- 4x5
    Tricep Work- 3x8
    Abs Work 3x10
    thanks for the feedback and please tell me what i should remove/add/change.
    If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
    -Carl Sagan

Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bumpus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I can't tell you what to add or remove. My point was that come this fall you should have made decent strength gains and gained an understanding of what muscles you feel are lacking in terms of your goals. Add or remove accessories as you see fit, just saying you might find more success in starting with fewer accessories and feeling out the program rather than going all in and burning out or stalling early on your main lifts.

I was born a shotgun in my hands. Behind the gun I'll make my final stand and that's why they call me Bad Company

I can't tell you what to add or remove. My point was that come this fall you should have made decent strength gains and gained an understanding of what muscles you feel are lacking in terms of your goals. Add or remove accessories as you see fit, just saying you might find more success in starting with fewer accessories and feeling out the program rather than going all in and burning out or stalling early on your main lifts.
    thanks man, repped.
    -Carl Sagan

TD444EVER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by iintruder View Post
    thanks man, repped.
    if you have 20$ i would just recommend going on his site and buying the second edition e-book if u havent already. it was a great read and spells everything out..

the only difference i see is he says to do 3x10 on your primary assistance lift using a % of your max on that lift...so u have to know your maxes for the main assistance lifts too...then 3x10-20 reps on 2-3 exercises for smaller assistance lifts (dips, chins, extensions).

my favorite chapter is N.O.V. (north of vag) lol

favorite quote "you want science and studies? **** you. Ive got scars and blood and vomit"

H1t_V3r4c will become famous soon enough. (+50) H1t_V3r4c will become famous soon enough. (+50) H1t_V3r4c will become famous soon enough. (+50) H1t_V3r4c will become famous soon enough. (+50) H1t_V3r4c will become famous soon enough. (+50) H1t_V3r4c will become famous soon enough. (+50) H1t_V3r4c will become famous soon enough. (+50) H1t_V3r4c will become famous soon enough. (+50) H1t_V3r4c will become famous soon enough. (+50) H1t_V3r4c will become famous soon enough. (+50) H1t_V3r4c will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    So Wendler suggests to perform pull/chinups between the sets of both of the pressing movements in 5/3/1. Does this mean I can eliminate the use of chinups further on in the workout?
    What does he suggest in terms of repping until failure between sets? Do I just do an easy set or go until failure or just before?

Ie.

135x5 Press
    5 Chin ups
    135x5 Press
    5 Chin ups
    135x5 Press
    5 Chin ups

Can I follow up with 5x10 of chin ups for example? Or are the chin ups performed between the press sets enough?
    Thanks!

TD444EVER has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by H1t_V3r4c View Post
    So Wendler suggests to perform pull/chinups between the sets of both of the pressing movements in 5/3/1. Does this mean I can eliminate the use of chinups further on in the workout?
    What does he suggest in terms of repping until failure between sets? Do I just do an easy set or go until failure or just before?

Ie.

135x5 Press
    5 Chin ups
    135x5 Press
    5 Chin ups
    135x5 Press
    5 Chin ups

Can I follow up with 5x10 of chin ups for example? Or are the chin ups performed between the press sets enough?
    Thanks!
    He says to do them in between any of the lifts but mainly military and bench. He also says no less than 100 per week. I wouldnt go to failure on chins in between your bench just enough to keep a good pump in your lats for your lift. Theres no reason why you couldnt do chins for another assistance lift later on in your workout. Just add weight so u can only do 3 sets of 10-20 chins. he also says they are the best upper back, lat, and bicep exercises you can do.. I did 3 pullups in between my military press and in between close grip and it worked great

fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I have just completed 2 cycles of the Jim Wendler 5-3-1. All I can say is....WOW! I am thankful I have found this program. Due to my age and Health, I have had to put my own spin on it, albeit, without changing the basic concepts. It's sort of like Stuart McRobert's BRAWN (hardgainer) meets Jim Wendler's 5-3-1. Here is my routine and goals.

fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fbcoach is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Smile

MONDAY

Bench Press 5-3-1
    Incline DBs 2x10
    Presses5-3-1
    Lateral Raises 2x10
    Farmers Wk/ 800mtrs-1600mtrs then raise weight

THURSDAY

DeadLifts 5-3-1
    LatPulls 2x10

Curls 2x10
    Farmers Sprints/5 50mtrs w/20 seconds rest

I cannot perform squats due to Spinal Surgeries and hardware. I have been stuck at approximately a 340lb Bench for a while. My goal is a 400lb Bench and 500lb-550lb DeadLift by 55yrs of age. After performing 2 cycles of the 5-3-1 I feel I am on my way. I will report in after each cycle. Last cycle:

Week #1
    Bench Press 3x5 255lbs DeadLifts 3x5 300lbs
    Week#2
    Bench Press 3x3 270lbs DeadLifts 3x3 340lbs
    Week #3
    Bench Press 5-3-1 285lbs DeadLifts 5-3-1 380lbs

I am staying with only the prescribed reps. On occassion I will add a rep or 2 to convince myself I will hit my goals for the next cycle

Sorry for all the posts, but for some reason I can't type past a specific bandwidth. Any questions, tips, or critiques will be appreciated. I know I am new to this program, but after reading everything I could get on it, I feel this is my "Rosetta Stone". Slow but Steady seems to be a realistic motto for reaching goals.

fslima0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fslima0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fslima0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fslima0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fslima0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fslima0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fslima0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fslima0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fslima0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Here is what I have

-Squat Workout Day
    Leg Extension
    Leg Curl
    Calf Raises

-Bench Press Workout Day
    Chin up
    Dumbbell Bench Press
    Cable Tricep Extension

-Deadlift Workout Day
    Lat Pulldown
    Suggest me one exercise
    Hanging Leg Raises

-Overhead Press Workout Day
    Chin up
    Barbell Bent-over Rows
    Close grip Bench press

Can anyone help me with the sets and reps for these exercises? I feel 5 or 4 sets of 10 is too much. By doing chin ups in between bench and military sets, will I decrease my performance on them? Thanks
    Disregard aesthetics, acquire strength

Long term Goal:

B: 225 lbs
    S: 315 lbs
    D: 405 lbs

Never had a problem setting the presses with chins. As for sets/reps, do what you feel like. If you feel 3x10 is where you'd benefit most, then do it. Remember the program is the 4 main lifts. Accessories are chosen to help progress the main lifts or address deficiencies in appearance/strength. I think you'd be OK in the 4-5x10 range if you've chosen your weight right for the accessories. I vote you do front squats on the deadlift day. I'd skip the extensions on squat day personally.

And not that you asked this, but at 6'4 150 lbs I'd question if you are ready for the 5/3/1 program. If gaining strength is you goal, you may find doing a linear progression program a better place to start (SS, Starr's 5x5). Eat big and lift big on one of those programs and get your strength up first, then switch for 5/3/1.

fslima0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fslima0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fslima0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fslima0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fslima0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fslima0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fslima0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fslima0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fslima0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Never had a problem setting the presses with chins. As for sets/reps, do what you feel like. If you feel 3x10 is where you'd benefit most, then do it. Remember the program is the 4 main lifts. Accessories are chosen to help progress the main lifts or address deficiencies in appearance/strength. I think you'd be OK in the 4-5x10 range if you've chosen your weight right for the accessories. I vote you do front squats on the deadlift day. I'd skip the extensions on squat day personally.

And not that you asked this, but at 6'4 150 lbs I'd question if you are ready for the 5/3/1 program. If gaining strength is you goal, you may find doing a linear progression program a better place to start (SS, Starr's 5x5). Eat big and lift big on one of those programs and get your strength up first, then switch for 5/3/1.
    Well, My main lift on squat day is the front squat.. I don't have a rack or anything... I wish I could do back squats though.. Much easier and more comfortable. I wanted to do romanian deadlifts, but decided to keep it simple since I absolutely don't want to get hurt.

I was doing SS but was not eating enough. I feel squatting and deadlifting every other day really increase my chances of getting hurt (do not want). 5/3/1 is really the program I need (strength and hypertrophy)
    Last edited by fslima0; 01-30-2012 at 02:49 PM.

Long term Goal:

Originally Posted by fslima0 View Post
    Here is what I have

-Squat Workout Day
    Leg Extension
    Leg Curl
    Calf Raises

-Bench Press Workout Day
    Chin up
    Dumbbell Bench Press
    Cable Tricep Extension

-Deadlift Workout Day
    Lat Pulldown
    Suggest me one exercise
    Hanging Leg Raises

-Overhead Press Workout Day
    Chin up
    Barbell Bent-over Rows
    Close grip Bench press

Can anyone help me with the sets and reps for these exercises? I feel 5 or 4 sets of 10 is too much. By doing chin ups in between bench and military sets, will I decrease my performance on them? Thanks
    I have to be really careful about recovery due to past spinal surgeries and managing chronic pain. Jim Wendler's latest recommendations on BBB is 5x10 using 50% of 1RM the first month, 60% the second and soforth. He states emphatically to not go to failure or do more than the prescribed reps. Hope this helps.

CBixby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CBixby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CBixby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CBixby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CBixby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CBixby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CBixby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CBixby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CBixby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CBixby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CBixby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Starting this up next week. I was thinking of doing some light jump roping on upper body days and hill sprints on lower body days. Would you guys recommend trying to split my lower body days into morning lifts and conditioning later in the day or right after each other?

Originally Posted by CBixby View Post
    Starting this up next week. I was thinking of doing some light jump roping on upper body days and hill sprints on lower body days. Would you guys recommend trying to split my lower body days into morning lifts and conditioning later in the day or right after each other?
    Jumping rope is a good warm up. You can do this 4x a week. As for conditioning work, whenever you want. Just do it.

I started 5/3/1 today and it felt great. I was able to do the main lift and the 3 accessory work in 60 min (4x10).

My question is: Since today was Squat day, can I do bench day tomorrow since I am going to be working different muscles (lower/upper body). Thanks

Long term Goal:

Sure. I think most people do a Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri type of deal.

CBixby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CBixby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CBixby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CBixby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CBixby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CBixby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CBixby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CBixby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CBixby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CBixby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CBixby has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sure. I think most people do a Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri type of deal.
    I think this is what I'm going to start with and see how my recovery is.

Also considering power cleans on squat days.

NateDG72 is a name known to all. (+5000) NateDG72 is a name known to all. (+5000) NateDG72 is a name known to all. (+5000) NateDG72 is a name known to all. (+5000) NateDG72 is a name known to all. (+5000) NateDG72 is a name known to all. (+5000) NateDG72 is a name known to all. (+5000) NateDG72 is a name known to all. (+5000) NateDG72 is a name known to all. (+5000) NateDG72 is a name known to all. (+5000) NateDG72 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I was running the triumvirate assistance with my brother. We have had a lot of success with this programming, but ever since we began my brother has had problems with dips. He gets a pain that runs through his throwing arm when he does them, and only when he does dips. His form looks fine and the doctors don't have a clue.

Is there any exercise that you would sub in instead of dips that work the same muscle groups? Wanted to keep the rest of the programming the same.