LnyBoi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Arrow Bankart Repair RECOVERY PHASE LOG

Aloha to everyone.
    Here is my timeline:
    -DISLOCATION ON JULY 4, 2010 (laying down with my hands behind my head)
    5x in the last 4 years!
    -MRI showed i had a Bankart tear.
    -SURGERY on AUGUST 30, 2010
    PROCEDURE: Bankart Repair and Capsule Tightening
    SURGEON: Dr.Calvin S. Oishi
    WEEK 1-3
    IMMOBILIZATION
    WEEKS 4-Present
    REHAB:OCT 1, 2010-Present (SportsMedicne Hawaii)
    ROM:80%

If u had a bankart repair, how are you doing? are you at 100%? I know its early into my PT but, i miss the gym real bad.

Ill be updating on my progress. ill post photos soon.
    THANKS FOR READING GUYS/GALS!!

redstar504 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey man hang in there! I had the exact same bankart lesion operation on October 29th, 2009. I admit, for the first 6 months it felt like my shoulder would never be the same, and I thought my surgery was botched or something, but now it feels better than my other shoulder. I'm back at the gym full force with basically zero pain. My recommendations are to not rush back into the gym, do lots of physio (they will need to stretch it out once or twice every week - make SURE you do this or you'll have a limited range of motion later). Also, another word of advice, when you get back into the gym make sure you do a really good warm up at the start of your workouts! My shoulder warmup usually takes about half hour with super light weights doing stuff like external rotations and side raises before I start doing regular weight. Do it right and you'll be good to go!

One other thing I just remembered, the recovery was like 2 steps forward one step backward. It would get a bit better then get worse, then get a bit more better, then get worse again, then get twice as good, then it would hurt again, but it would always get better . I think it's due to the scar tissue breaking up inside your shoulder.. When it does rip, the shoulder hurts quite a bit for a couple of days, then recovers in better shape.

Hey man thanks for the info! yeah, when the scar tissue starts to break up it REALLY hurts! haha the popping and cracking always gets to me.

when did you start hitting the gym?

FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have a pretty descriptive log on here if you want to check it out. Mine was maily a SLAP repair but also had Bankart clean-up. What I can tell you is it's more mentally challenging as much as it is physical. It seems that when everyone finally prepares themselves for the long run (approx. 6months), then it starts to get better mentally. Hang in there. It will be tough but it does end and get better. It's great that after all this mess is over you won't have anymore dislocations!!!!

yeah during PT, its mentally challenging. you need to go through the pain it you want your shoulder in top shape.

DavidDeMinno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by LnyBoi View Post
    Aloha to everyone.
    Here is my timeline:
    -DISLOCATION ON JULY 4, 2010 (laying down with my hands behind my head)
    5x in the last 4 years!
    -MRI showed i had a Bankart tear.
    -SURGERY on AUGUST 30, 2010
    PROCEDURE: Bankart Repair and Capsule Tightening
    SURGEON: Dr.Calvin S. Oishi
    WEEK 1-3
    IMMOBILIZATION
    WEEKS 4-Present
    REHAB:OCT 1, 2010-Present (SportsMedicne Hawaii)
    ROM:80%

If u had a bankart repair, how are you doing? are you at 100%? I know its early into my PT but, i miss the gym real bad.

Ill be updating on my progress. ill post photos soon.
    THANKS FOR READING GUYS/GALS!!
    I dislocated my shoulder by diving into the pool sometime around the beginning of July. As soon as I hit the water it felt like my shoulder deflated into my armpit lol really painful. I then moved my arm too quick from behind my head to my side and it dislocated worse than the first time. Got my MRI done and found the tear and was in for surgery July 17th, 2010. It has been 6 months and I am finally getting back into the gym now. Some days I feel pretty good and some days it feels like something is still wrong getting aches and pains out of nowhere. Doctor told me to do light light weight and always stretch out your shoulder before workouts. Good luck with your recovery! Hope all goes well.

mccraer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Benkart Repair Recovery, Week 2.5

It sounds like some of you guys/gals have gone through what I am currently going through now. I'm 2 1/2 weeks post op, and I felt a pop in my operated shoulder while externally rotating faster than I should have. I am afraid that I may have torn an anchor. Have any of you experienced this same sort of popping or an anchor tear? Any advice would be much appreciated.

FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50) FLbeach321 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It's most likely nothing to worry about (but we were all guilty of thinking we tore up our repair). It's going to take more than that to rip out the anchors. BUT DON'T DO THAT AGAIN, lol. Remember that your shoulder has had trauma (the surgery itself is trauma) so all your muscles are tight and spasmed right now. Then add to it that you've been immobilized after your sugery and that equals more tightness. You will get popping and snapping, and cracking and clunking for many months to come. It's actually a good thing because it means things are loosening up. Your fine, but make sure you're metally prepared for the long run. It's going to be a good 4-6 months to begin to feel normal.

chakim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I had the same thing happen to me but after 1 and a half weeks post op.

Originally Posted by mccraer View Post
    It sounds like some of you guys/gals have gone through what I am currently going through now. I'm 2 1/2 weeks post op, and I felt a pop in my operated shoulder while externally rotating faster than I should have. I am afraid that I may have torn an anchor. Have any of you experienced this same sort of popping or an anchor tear? Any advice would be much appreciated.

I had the same thing happen to me but after 1 and a half weeks post op. My surgery was on the 2nd Feb 2012. Its now been 3 months and its slowly getting better. My range of motion is coming back finally.

I just wanted to ask you how you ended up coming along given you had this pop in your shoulder?

Also has anyone experienced any pain when stretching out their shoulder downwards. Like holding a dumbbell in one arm and letting the dumbbell pull your arm down? I experience a sharp pain in my shoulder when doing so, and this was a pain I had before the surgery.

Just want to know if anyone has felt this before and if it clears up in time?

villaboi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Goodluck on your recovery... I myself got a torn labrum (bankart lesion) and due for a surgery next month. I just got a question before the surgery did you guys do and upper body exercises that will help with recovery post surgery?

ProfessionalWR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by DavidDeMinno View Post
    I dislocated my shoulder by diving into the pool sometime around the beginning of July. As soon as I hit the water it felt like my shoulder deflated into my armpit lol really painful. I then moved my arm too quick from behind my head to my side and it dislocated worse than the first time. Got my MRI done and found the tear and was in for surgery July 17th, 2010. It has been 6 months and I am finally getting back into the gym now. Some days I feel pretty good and some days it feels like something is still wrong getting aches and pains out of nowhere. Doctor told me to do light light weight and always stretch out your shoulder before workouts. Good luck with your recovery! Hope all goes well.
    Hey there
    My names Wendy
    I'm doing a sport's therapy course at college just now and im doing a research presentation on a dislocated shoulder needing bankart lesion repair in surgery. When i was researching the operation steps i came across your blog. i'm needing a primary source for my presentation. I know it was years ago that this happened to you but if i could ask you a few questions on it i would really appreciate it. This is my last bit of my presintation and needs to be in by Thursday. let me know if your up for it

Thanks
    Wendy Russell