Kristian16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kristian16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kristian16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kristian16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Incline/Decline Smith Machine Bench Press vs. Dumbell Incline/Decline Bench Press

I am asking this because the bench at my gym cannot adjust so I use the smith machine for incline/decline and reverse bench press (since I cant lift the weight otherwise). Also does anyone know the weight of the bar for the smith machine. There is a number on the side of the bar saying 10.9 but when I lift it feels more like 15kg, so I'm not sure if that number includes the mechanism holding the bar.
    BULGAR POWER

Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000) Pump Freak 86 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    barbell > dumbbell > smith imo, though some might switch the order of dumbbells and barbells. the thing about barbells is that they can help you develop a lot of power, whereas the dumbbells can help you hit the muscle a little deeper. If you are like me and get a lot out of barbell presses, then its 6 in one hand and half a dozen in the other. Needless to say, the smith machine is a good piece of equipment and is certainly better than nothing, but is inferior to both barbells and dumbbells in the abstract.

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Kristian16 View Post
    I am asking this because the bench at my gym cannot adjust so I use the smith machine for incline/decline and reverse bench press (since I cant lift the weight otherwise). Also does anyone know the weight of the bar for the smith machine. There is a number on the side of the bar saying 10.9 but when I lift it feels more like 15kg, so I'm not sure if that number includes the mechanism holding the bar.
    If you don't have an adjustable bench, then how are you doing inclines or declines in the Smith?

Can't you just pull that bench out and use it with DB's or BB's?
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

Kristian16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kristian16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kristian16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kristian16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    there are 2 adjustable separate benches but there is simply no way of placing a barbell, I can use dumbells tho thats not a problem.
    BULGAR POWER

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    there are 2 adjustable separate benches but there is simply no way of placing a barbell, I can use dumbells tho thats not a problem.
    Then I'd use the adjustable bench and DB's to get in some incline presses, then follow up with some Smith machine flat presses.

There's a lot of hate on Smith presses, but you gotta use what you got. Don't worry about the bar weight on these. If you're using the same machine each week, just list the weight you add to the bar. In your journal you can write the weight as "PWO" (plate weight only).
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

Originally Posted by VoxExMachina View Post
    Then I'd use the adjustable bench and DB's to get in some incline presses, then follow up with some Smith machine flat presses.

There's a lot of hate on Smith presses, but you gotta use what you got. Don't worry about the bar weight on these. If you're using the same machine each week, just list the weight you add to the bar. In your journal you can write the weight as "PWO" (plate weight only).
    No, for the flat presses I have bench with a rack but its not adjustable, its build only for flat bench presses, so I use that.
    BULGAR POWER

No, for the flat presses I have bench with a rack but its not adjustable, its build only for flat bench presses, so I use that.
    Even better then. Use the incline bench from the smith for DB inclines and the fixed flat bench for BB work and you're all set.