scoops1515 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) scoops1515 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) scoops1515 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) scoops1515 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Is P90X for athletes?

Of course this depends on the sport and when the athlete is using p90x. Remember it's a full 90 days of training so one might not want to do it during their season but rather in the off season.
    However sport training involves sport specific workouts, so would p90x still fit into an athletes training program?
    Curious to see what everyone's thoughts are on the subject, so tell me your sport and if you think P90X is suitable or not.

For more info on P90X visit my blog at http://extreamp90x.blogspot.com/

ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    P90X is an all around workout just like any other workout in the workout section of these forums. It is put into a nice workout/diet/cardio program with quality instruction and videos. It is used just like any other program, and thus get's people into shape like most programs.

Is it for athletes? Combined the program with sport specific training and sure I'd say yes it could be.

txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250) txapn has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    you could use it for a "phase" or particular portion of ur performance training, but unless ur a novice or beginner in athletics then this program will not improve ur performance very much!
    -------------------------------www.Texas-AP.com--------------------------------------
    --------------------- join us on face book: txapn and txapn stefan ---------------------
    --------------------- HOWS THIS GAME GOING TO REMEMBER YOU? ---------------------

dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It's designed more for the average weekend warrior who wants to look good than for the average athlete who wants to improve his/her performance.
    http://voidempathy.blogspot.com/
    It has words and stuff

jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    It is primarily cardio, and pretty much the kind of cardio you shouldn't be doing no matter what sport you train for(generally high impact very long duration). If you are trying to lose weight for a sport I would recommend lighter crossfit WODs with some kind of linear progression and progressive overload. If you are trying to gain muscle mass for a sport I would recommend playing your sport for conditioning or light cardio that doesn't stress the primary muscles of your sport.
    Aesthetic goals: achieve doyouevenliftmode

jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    P90X is designed for shedding pounds and fat. If you are extremely overweight and an athlete it could have its place but sports like baseball, football ect. have workouts based on power and strength .... not having barbell squats in there won't be the best usage of your time.
    =============================================
    My Training Log:
    new log soon!

Cracky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cracky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cracky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cracky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cracky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cracky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cracky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cracky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cracky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cracky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cracky will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    any serious athlete I know who actually gave it a try did it in the off season(if they had one).
    Do you think they'res a bunch of muscle fibers that are lazy watching TV and eating Doritos and say "nah I'm not going unless good ol' CNS lights itself on fire from overload, then I'll help out." -Khryz :D

tjohnsonr10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tjohnsonr10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tjohnsonr10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tjohnsonr10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tjohnsonr10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tjohnsonr10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tjohnsonr10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tjohnsonr10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tjohnsonr10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tjohnsonr10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tjohnsonr10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i think most of the people who are replying have not tried p90x. thats the way it seems to go on these boards. i think it would be a great way to train for sports, but not just doing the program starting from scratch. i would say doing a traditional program geared more towards sports (5x5, ws4sb) and THEN doing p90x would be great. put on some strength and size and then gain a ton of muscular endurance and shed the fat. i have been training for years and played college sports and p90x is kicking my ass. the core and ab routines are amazing and i am already noticing the carryover into sports. hope that helps.
    Strength training for sports
    Height - 6'5"
    Age - 22
    Body Weight - 210
    Lifts
    Bench - 255
    Dead Lift - 405
    Squat - 365

ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ven33 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by tjohnsonr10 View Post
    i think most of the people who are replying have not tried p90x. thats the way it seems to go on these boards. i think it would be a great way to train for sports, but not just doing the program starting from scratch. i would say doing a traditional program geared more towards sports (5x5, ws4sb) and THEN doing p90x would be great. put on some strength and size and then gain a ton of muscular endurance and shed the fat. i have been training for years and played college sports and p90x is kicking my ass. the core and ab routines are amazing and i am already noticing the carryover into sports. hope that helps.
    No one is bashing P90x. We are simply saying that for athletes it just doesn't compare to good ol fashioned heavy lifting and sport specific training.

hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500) hamworld05 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by scoops1515 View Post
    Of course this depends on the sport and when the athlete is using p90x. Remember it's a full 90 days of training so one might not want to do it during their season but rather in the off season.
    However sport training involves sport specific workouts, so would p90x still fit into an athletes training program?
    Curious to see what everyone's thoughts are on the subject, so tell me your sport and if you think P90X is suitable or not.

For more info on P90X visit my blog at http://extreamp90x.blogspot.com/
    I would never ever use p90x. In my journey to attain true manliness, it is useless to me.
    "ham boy"

jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by ven33 View Post
    No one is bashing P90x. We are simply saying that for athletes it just doesn't compare to good ol fashioned heavy lifting and sport specific training.
    I was bashing p90x haha
    Aesthetic goals: achieve doyouevenliftmode

jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50) jgood will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by tjohnsonr10 View Post
    The problem with that is, if you gain and then shed, you will lose strength/muscle. Another thing is you can achieve stamina (not everybody needs 'endurance') by better means. So if you were to ever do it as an athlete, it would be immediately after the season ends and then start weight lifting ... but it is just not made for athletes .... it's made for people working out in their home for health.
    My Training Log:
    new log soon!

laxshack is on a distinguished road. (+10) laxshack is on a distinguished road. (+10) laxshack is on a distinguished road. (+10) laxshack is on a distinguished road. (+10) laxshack is on a distinguished road. (+10) laxshack is on a distinguished road. (+10) laxshack is on a distinguished road. (+10) laxshack is on a distinguished road. (+10) laxshack is on a distinguished road. (+10) laxshack is on a distinguished road. (+10) laxshack is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    personally i think p90x is great for conditionaing..... mabe, but if youv been working hard all year and call yourself relitively athletic, than you should be doing something else, personally alot of free weights and barbell excersises
    ie squat, bench, and dead + push press, front squat, cleans = profit

ME3030 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ME3030 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ME3030 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ME3030 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ME3030 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ME3030 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ME3030 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ME3030 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ME3030 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ME3030 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ME3030 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I did a cycle of P90X as my training before a 5k obstacle/mud run up a mountain and it definately worked for that.

As far as sports training there are definately some key exercises it misses that are beneficial, squats and deadlifts being standouts. The program is limited to anything you can do with dumbells or a pull up bar by design. So keep that in mind and substitute barbell exercises in if you have that available to you. I know I modify the workouts as I see fit and usually add in deadlifts and rows etc.

The plyometrics workout is probably one of the better ones to work into a sports training routine but with that high impact training comes a risk of injury so be careful and use good form.