SickSadWorld38 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I can't squat correctly seemingly. Should I lose some weight before trying them?

I can't go straight down/sitting in a chair like the videos show. I am always leaning forward a bit. And my ass is always nowhere near the ground when doing it. And I feel an intense stretch in my groin when trying. How am I supposed to improve squats/do them correctly if I well...can't?

Also, whenever I left my left leg up, I feel slight pain in my left hip/groin area. Is this a hip flexor injury? I've had this pain for a few months now, no exercise or anything, it only hurts when lifting my leg up.

mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mtownballer20 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    How overweight are you? Maybe go see a PT

TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TrettinR has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Sounds like your issue is flexibility/mobility, it's not likely because you're overweight.
    There is no such thing as 'strong enough'

Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by TrettinR View Post
    Sounds like your issue is flexibility/mobility, it's not likely because you're overweight.
    this
    Lift light until you can lift right

BW 220: S:650 B:435 D:615 IG: tourostrengthtraining

FairSquare is just really nice. (+1000) FairSquare is just really nice. (+1000) FairSquare is just really nice. (+1000) FairSquare is just really nice. (+1000) FairSquare is just really nice. (+1000) FairSquare is just really nice. (+1000) FairSquare is just really nice. (+1000) FairSquare is just really nice. (+1000) FairSquare is just really nice. (+1000) FairSquare is just really nice. (+1000) FairSquare is just really nice. (+1000)
    if you're doing backsquats, there will always be some forward lean, even if highbar (though it's less than if you squat lowbar).

MrNope will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrNope will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrNope will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrNope will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrNope will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrNope will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrNope will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrNope will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrNope will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrNope will become famous soon enough. (+50) MrNope will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The amount of forward lean varies person to person, and depends on a number of factors. I'd be more concerned with the mobility though - look up some hip flexor stretches online and maybe pick up a foam roller. Spend a lot of time
    "in the hole" by doing bodyweight squats and holding the down position, feel the stretch, and become comfortable with that motion.

magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) magician27 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

agreed, i have seen some 300lbs+ guys squat with very good form

Jackal005 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jackal005 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jackal005 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jackal005 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jackal005 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jackal005 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jackal005 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jackal005 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jackal005 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jackal005 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jackal005 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You need to learn how to squat. There are good online resources for this, or you can seek out a knowledgeable PT/coach and pay them to teach you.

Your hip/groin pain could be any number of things. Best to get it looked at by someone with the appropriate qualifications.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Get-n-fit View Post
    this

Most of the time when beginners have problems with squats, it's ^^^^ this.

How about posting a couple of vids---one from the side, one from front or back---of you Squatting your regular working weight for 4-6 reps? that's a sure-fire way to spot whatever might be your issue(s) and get things ironed out.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Temple90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Agree with the above. It is definitely a mobility issue. What I did to help me get lower and squat with better from was a combination of doing warm up squats with a broom handle daily, doing soft tissue work on my hips and static stretching as well. It took 5-6 weeks to really start noticing.

CRAT0S has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CRAT0S has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CRAT0S has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CRAT0S has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CRAT0S has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CRAT0S has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CRAT0S has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CRAT0S has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CRAT0S has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CRAT0S has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CRAT0S has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Sounds like mobility issues. 300+ can make the bottom of the squat uncomfortable if you belly is in the way.

Start practicing with body weight squats until you can do those with good form. Then move on to the bar, then add weight.

Also, what kind of shoes are you wearing? Tennis shoes or running shoes can cause you to tip forward. Get some flat bottom shoes converse chuck taylor's or lifting shoes. Hell, I generally squat in my socks for this very reason.

Do this before your squat workout for mobility and warm-up:

https://www.t-nation.com/training/defranco-agile-8

Tá tranquilo Tá favorável denisemeu's Avatar
    denisemeu will become famous soon enough. (+50) denisemeu will become famous soon enough. (+50) denisemeu will become famous soon enough. (+50) denisemeu will become famous soon enough. (+50) denisemeu will become famous soon enough. (+50) denisemeu will become famous soon enough. (+50) denisemeu will become famous soon enough. (+50) denisemeu will become famous soon enough. (+50) denisemeu will become famous soon enough. (+50) denisemeu will become famous soon enough. (+50) denisemeu will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Can you do properly without the weight? If so, work on your form first
    English is not my first language.
    Former athlete. Mother of two.
    Instagram: @denisemeu

It's not letting me post a link due to message count.

Originally Posted by CRAT0S View Post
    Sounds like mobility issues. 300+ can make the bottom of the squat uncomfortable if you belly is in the way.

Start practicing with body weight squats until you can do those with good form. Then move on to the bar, then add weight.

Also, what kind of shoes are you wearing? Tennis shoes or running shoes can cause you to tip forward. Get some flat bottom shoes converse chuck taylor's or lifting shoes. Hell, I generally squat in my socks for this very reason.

Do this before your squat workout for mobility and warm-up:
    I've attempted them barefoot, and in my crappy worn out shoes. Which I plan on replacing.

What can I do if I don't have a foam roller/IT band/etc? Which most of these mobility/flexibility routines require.

I've gotta get my weight back under control (shouldn't be a problem). But I have to make flexibility/strength/etc a part of my lifestyle too.

epfuhl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) epfuhl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) epfuhl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) epfuhl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) epfuhl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) epfuhl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) epfuhl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) epfuhl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) epfuhl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) epfuhl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) epfuhl is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by SickSadWorld38 View Post
    It's not letting me post a link due to message count.
    Put a space or two in link, and someone will embed or link video for you
    Current F5 weights:

Squat 275
    Bench: 160
    RDL 215
    Row: 135 - dropped for form work

Originally Posted by epfuhl View Post
    Put a space or two in link, and someone will embed or link video for you
    Oh right, duh

vid.me/Jfep

Ignore the messy room, this is from the other night. Not 4-6 reps but you'll probably see the problem from the getgo.

I gotta get to my dr and see whats wrong with my leg. For about a month or so now, any time I lift my leg, as if to touch my knee to my chest, I get pain in the uppermost part of my quad.

CRAT0S has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CRAT0S has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CRAT0S has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CRAT0S has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CRAT0S has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CRAT0S has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CRAT0S has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CRAT0S has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CRAT0S has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CRAT0S has a spectacular aura about. (+250) CRAT0S has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by SickSadWorld38 View Post
    What can I do if I don't have a foam roller/IT band/etc?
    Foam rollers are pretty cheap and well worth the investment. You can pick one up at a big box sporting goods store for as little as $20-$30. You could also go to Home Depot and get a similar sized piece of PVC. The PVC is a little more aggressive, but some people (my wife) actually prefer it.

I used to hate foam rolling. It was uncomfortable at best, and hurt at times. But now that I started doing it regularly, I can't imagine not doing it.

The IT Band (as referenced in the link for Agile 8) is not equipment: The iliotibial band (IT band) is a thick band of fibers that begins at the iliac crest (the border of the most prominent bone of the pelvis) in the pelvis and runs on the lateral or outside part of the thigh until it attaches into the tibia (shinbone).

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Don't foam roller the IT band - it's not a muscle, it's connective tissue.

However, you can roller the quad and the TFL which is just below your iliac crest (hip bone) which is a small muscle that joins the IT band to the hip.

BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by denisemeu View Post
    Can you do properly without the weight? If so, work on your form first
    Absolutely this. You don't have to have weight on your back to do squats. Doing multiple sets of 10-20 with just your bodyweight will help get you used to the movement.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Don't foam roller the IT band - it's not a muscle, it's connective tissue.

However, you can roller the quad and the TFL which is just below your iliac crest (hip bone) which is a small muscle that joins the IT band to the hip.
    Well yeah, resistance band I meant, I typed that half asleep >_<.