jdmaunder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdmaunder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdmaunder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdmaunder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdmaunder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdmaunder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdmaunder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdmaunder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdmaunder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdmaunder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdmaunder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Training legs heavy or light for speed and agility (rugby)

Hello,

I'd sure be grateful if any of you guys got back to me!

Long story short, I'm a semi professional rugby player, we have no help with weight training so its all off our own backs. I'm okay with my upper half although I need to become quicker and more agile on the field so I was wondering when training legs should I go all out with heavy ass weights and less reps for explosive speed or go light weight with more reps for endurance? Is there a way I can integrate the two or should I just focus on one? Also should I train calves more? Will it give me more of a spring in my step.

Thanks for the help if any of you guys get back to me.

Regards

Jay

theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10) theFutureD is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    To improve explosiveness, you must be good at overcoming your bodyweight. To do that, you need to do exercises that fit the criteria static overcome by dynamic strength. That would include exercises like deadlifts (any variations), box squats, step ups (barbell/DB), split squats done at 3-3-x tempo, forward sled dragging, front squats at various tempos etc. Joe D utilizes these methods and he's proven success with this.

Remember though.. if you're weak.. it's just worthless. You should train legs both heavy and explosively though in one session for optimal results IMO. Training in 1-5 rep range will improve your absolute strength which is the foundation for all you other qualities.. and it won't get your sore.

You could do:

Box Jump 3 sets of 3 jumps
    Deadlift/Squat Variation (Trap Bar Deadlift, regular deadlift, snatch grip deadlift, box squat, front squat...)
    Step Up/Split Squat
    Glute/Hamstring movement
    Core (weighted version.. like weighted plank, weighted sit up etc)

jdmaunder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdmaunder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdmaunder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdmaunder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdmaunder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdmaunder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdmaunder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdmaunder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdmaunder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdmaunder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdmaunder1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by theFutureD View Post
    To improve explosiveness, you must be good at overcoming your bodyweight. To do that, you need to do exercises that fit the criteria static overcome by dynamic strength. That would include exercises like deadlifts (any variations), box squats, step ups (barbell/DB), split squats done at 3-3-x tempo, forward sled dragging, front squats at various tempos etc. Joe D utilizes these methods and he's proven success with this.

Remember though.. if you're weak.. it's just worthless. You should train legs both heavy and explosively though in one session for optimal results IMO. Training in 1-5 rep range will improve your absolute strength which is the foundation for all you other qualities.. and it won't get your sore.

You could do:

Box Jump 3 sets of 3 jumps
    Deadlift/Squat Variation (Trap Bar Deadlift, regular deadlift, snatch grip deadlift, box squat, front squat...)
    Step Up/Split Squat
    Glute/Hamstring movement
    Core (weighted version.. like weighted plank, weighted sit up etc)
    This means a lot and was very helpful! I'll put this into motion thanks man.

McFlavour is a name known to all. (+5000) McFlavour is a name known to all. (+5000) McFlavour is a name known to all. (+5000) McFlavour is a name known to all. (+5000) McFlavour is a name known to all. (+5000) McFlavour is a name known to all. (+5000) McFlavour is a name known to all. (+5000) McFlavour is a name known to all. (+5000) McFlavour is a name known to all. (+5000) McFlavour is a name known to all. (+5000) McFlavour is a name known to all. (+5000)
    what kind of semi professional team doesnt even give players a weights program

LuccaBro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LuccaBro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LuccaBro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LuccaBro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LuccaBro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LuccaBro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LuccaBro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LuccaBro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LuccaBro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LuccaBro is a jewel in the rough. (+500) LuccaBro is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It's been explained in great detail above me, but in short, heavy. Also what position do you play?