bizer is on a distinguished road. (+10) bizer is on a distinguished road. (+10) bizer is on a distinguished road. (+10) bizer is on a distinguished road. (+10) bizer is on a distinguished road. (+10) bizer is on a distinguished road. (+10) bizer is on a distinguished road. (+10) bizer is on a distinguished road. (+10) bizer is on a distinguished road. (+10) bizer is on a distinguished road. (+10) bizer is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Back from Injury & Scared to Deadlift

I herniated the disc between L4/L5 and bulged the disc between L5/S1 back in February. My back has been feeling good and I have started squatting again about 2 months ago. I want to start deads again but am very nervous since that was the lift that did my back in. How have others worked their way back into them after an injury?

Marauder23B is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marauder23B is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marauder23B is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marauder23B is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marauder23B is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marauder23B is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marauder23B is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marauder23B is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marauder23B is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marauder23B is on a distinguished road. (+10) Marauder23B is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Moderate weight, moderate reps, and not every back WO.
    Lift
    Eat
    Sleep

Infantry leads the way

101st Airborne Division (Air Assault)

rfaz13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rfaz13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rfaz13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rfaz13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rfaz13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rfaz13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rfaz13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rfaz13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rfaz13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rfaz13 is on a distinguished road. (+10) rfaz13 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Actually, I have the exact same problem, which Ive been posting about (l4 l5 and l5 s1). Only the l4 l5 is herniated, the other is just a bulge, but in my opinion, coming from someone still dealing with the pain, its NOT at all worth it to do squats. You can hit those muscles very well doing much safer exercises.

As of about an hour ago, my new doctor approved me for the DRX 9000 disc decompression machine, and I have ZERO plans of deading or squatting when Im healed.

Also, mine happened in February too, heh.
    Amat Victoria Curam

Current/Goal
    Weight- 265/235-245 (lean)
    Body fat- 18%/8%
    Bench Press- 290lbs/315lbs
    Squat- 325/405
    Deadlift- 365/415lbs

(Herniated l5-s1 and l4-l5)

bizer is on a distinguished road. (+10) bizer is on a distinguished road. (+10) bizer is on a distinguished road. (+10) bizer is on a distinguished road. (+10) bizer is on a distinguished road. (+10) bizer is on a distinguished road. (+10) bizer is on a distinguished road. (+10) bizer is on a distinguished road. (+10) bizer is on a distinguished road. (+10) bizer is on a distinguished road. (+10) bizer is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Marauder23B View Post
    Moderate weight, moderate reps, and not every back WO.

That was my thought as well. Maybe only do deads once or twice a month and progress very slowly.

Originally Posted by rfaz13 View Post
    Actually, I have the exact same problem, which Ive been posting about (l4 l5 and l5 s1). Only the l4 l5 is herniated, the other is just a bulge, but in my opinion, coming from someone still dealing with the pain, its NOT at all worth it to do squats. You can hit those muscles very well doing much safer exercises.

As of about an hour ago, my new doctor approved me for the DRX 9000 disc decompression machine, and I have ZERO plans of deading or squatting when Im healed.

Also, mine happened in February too, heh.

I've seen your threads and see that you are still in a lot of pain. I was in major pain for the first couple months but luckily I have been feeling a lot better for the last couple of months. I actually think squats may have helped relieve my lower back. Anyways I don't go to heavy on squats or plan to on deads. I've learned the hard way to listen to my back. If it aches or certain lifts bother it then do not proceed.

1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 1972girl has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    When i had an injury I started out slow,light and with rack pulls. over time I would add something to stand on so I would work my way lower and get some muscle and strength back before doing a dead lift.

braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by 1972girl View Post
    When i had an injury I started out slow,light and with rack pulls. over time I would add something to stand on so I would work my way lower and get some muscle and strength back before doing a dead lift.
    I second this.

EXTREMELY GOOD FORM. Rack pulls, very light weight.

Then work your way down

Unhappy

Unreal! I make this thread and the next day I hurt my back again. Not deadlifting, not squatting, not any type of heavy lifting but by turning to look at something. I must have rotated at the waist just right and there the pain started. Back to the drawing board. At least the pain this time is not near the pain I experienced when I first had the injury. Time for some ice and Tylenol 3.

maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) maguirre has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I also have a herniation in my L4-L5 and a bulge in my L5-S1 per MRI results from squats.
    And what seems to make my back more prone to injury is that I have an anterior pelvic tilt that I developed over the years from constantly being in a seated position.
    I'm currently correcting this imbalance and hopefully this will make my back pain go away.
    Make sure your hips are properly aligned and your core is strong for squats and DL otherwise you'll hurt yourself again.
    Hopefully, I can go back to squatting again... thought I doubt I'll break any records... deadlifting... idk, though I really love this exercise it's just too dangerous... all it takes is one fraction of a section and there goes your back.

maguirre

DTRrex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DTRrex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DTRrex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DTRrex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DTRrex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DTRrex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DTRrex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DTRrex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DTRrex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DTRrex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DTRrex has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by maguirre View Post
    I also have a herniation in my L4-L5 and a bulge in my L5-S1 per MRI results from squats.
    And what seems to make my back more prone to injury is that I have an anterior pelvic tilt that I developed over the years from constantly being in a seated position.
    I'm currently correcting this imbalance and hopefully this will make my back pain go away.
    Make sure your hips are properly aligned and your core is strong for squats and DL otherwise you'll hurt yourself again.
    Hopefully, I can go back to squatting again... thought I doubt I'll break any records... deadlifting... idk, though I really love this exercise it's just too dangerous... all it takes is one fraction of a section and there goes your back.

maguirre
    Werd. Gotta be really careful performing squats and deads with a hip imbalance. Hip imbalance = muscle imbalance as well and leaves you vulnerable to unilateral back injury.

I've sustained 2 back injuries and an a bad SI Joint injury due to doing heavy squats and dead with a pelvic tilt and imbalance.

escapist will become famous soon enough. (+50) escapist will become famous soon enough. (+50) escapist will become famous soon enough. (+50) escapist will become famous soon enough. (+50) escapist will become famous soon enough. (+50) escapist will become famous soon enough. (+50) escapist will become famous soon enough. (+50) escapist will become famous soon enough. (+50) escapist will become famous soon enough. (+50) escapist will become famous soon enough. (+50) escapist will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    to those of you mentioning imbalances

will giving your hip flexors good solid stretches every day/every other day help the problem and reduce the chance of future injury?

I kind of suspect i have an anterior tilt

A step from insanity nemesisman's Avatar
    nemesisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nemesisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nemesisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nemesisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nemesisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nemesisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nemesisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nemesisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nemesisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nemesisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nemesisman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    from a clinical standpoint once you herniate the disc then you are going to have a weakened disc. There really isnt much in the way of strengthening this as its not the same as a muscle. some people arent meant for deads and squats and have to concentrate on other exercises. i would stay away from the heavy weight and try another exercise. its not worth having more extensive problems in the future.
    You call it obsession, I call it passion.
    www.insanitymd.blogspot.com