Registered User tryingtobulkup8's Avatar
    tryingtobulkup8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How long to rest legs after lifting

I've always had a naturally slim build, but I've recently begun to bulk up a bit by lifting weights and eating a ton. I've been eating 5 or so meals a day with a ton of protein and good carbs and fiber and veggies along with drinking a lot of water. One thing I'm not too sure about is how long to rest my muscles after lifting, mainly for legs.

For example, last night I did squats (5 sets of 8 reps), and then lunges (4 sets of 8 reps), and calf raises (6 sets of 12 reps). Today the legs are burning for sure, and I'm thinking about playing ice hockey tomorrow night, which is a pretty serious leg work out. I usually skate once a week but try not to work out legs for a few days before hand. If I'm trying to bulk up the legs, mainly the glutes, is it too soon to skate 48 hours after the leg workout I did last night? I am also planning on skating on Sunday night, which would be 96 hours after working out the legs. What is my best bet for building muscle?

F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i found that i personally need 3-4 days after a taxing leg workout before all the soreness is gone and my legs are 100% athletically functional again.

extra activity could potientially inhibit full benefits of leg training but of course that entirely depends

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by tryingtobulkup8 View Post
    I've always had a naturally slim build, but I've recently begun to bulk up a bit by lifting weights and eating a ton. I've been eating 5 or so meals a day with a ton of protein and good carbs and fiber and veggies along with drinking a lot of water. One thing I'm not too sure about is how long to rest my muscles after lifting, mainly for legs.

For example, last night I did squats (5 sets of 8 reps), and then lunges (4 sets of 8 reps), and calf raises (6 sets of 12 reps). Today the legs are burning for sure, and I'm thinking about playing ice hockey tomorrow night, which is a pretty serious leg work out. I usually skate once a week but try not to work out legs for a few days before hand. If I'm trying to bulk up the legs, mainly the glutes, is it too soon to skate 48 hours after the leg workout I did last night? I am also planning on skating on Sunday night, which would be 96 hours after working out the legs. What is my best bet for building muscle?
    You should be fine.
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you are trying to bulk, eat more.

Stop petrifying yourself because you might "overtrain" your legs. I'd be more worried if the sore/tired legs would inhibit my game play more than if my hockey game would reduce the effectiveness of my leg workout.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

Registered User tryingtobulkup8's Avatar
    tryingtobulkup8 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My worry is from info that I've read in articles that says that your muscles need time to rebuild after lifting. From what I have read it would be too soon to do another heavy lifting leg workout only 48 hours after the first workout because during this time your muscles are recovering from the small tears in the muscle fibers which occur when you lift. I am definitely eating enough, but I just wonder whether a hard hour of skating would hurt more than help in terms of growing the muscles. I may not be as quick and strong on my skates as if I were skating with fresh legs, but it's only a men's league game and I'm not too worried about that.

VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Just live your life. Don't put your other activities on hold because of BB. Your legs will still recover nonetheless. If anything you may need to increase calories a little because of the extra volume.

retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000) retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000) retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000) retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000) retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000) retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000) retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000) retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000) retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000) retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000) retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Legs are the major muscle group of the body for a reason... work the hell out of them

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It depends on your workout and how your muscles react. There are times where my legs hurt for days after a good leg workout. Other times I can do a 3 mile run the day after without trouble.

If you are playing a sport like hockey, give yourself at least 72 hours rest to be safe.

The only way to truly find out what works for you is to experiment. The science is the same for all of us, but our bodies react differently because we are all unique. Half the fun of working out is finding out what works for you to build up your body.

Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vietgoboi is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    At least every 2 days for me.

Imthe8th1der is on a distinguished road. (+10) Imthe8th1der is on a distinguished road. (+10) Imthe8th1der is on a distinguished road. (+10) Imthe8th1der is on a distinguished road. (+10) Imthe8th1der is on a distinguished road. (+10) Imthe8th1der is on a distinguished road. (+10) Imthe8th1der is on a distinguished road. (+10) Imthe8th1der is on a distinguished road. (+10) Imthe8th1der is on a distinguished road. (+10) Imthe8th1der is on a distinguished road. (+10) Imthe8th1der is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    There is no rule on how long to rest your legs after they have been thrashed in the weight room. That is going to depend on your intensity, volume or reps and sets, weight used, exercises performed, and other factors as well. The main thing I would stress is to let your legs heal. They will only grow if you give them the proper nutrients to build and the time to recover. For me, I split up my leg muscles onto two different days but I usually hit each body part twice every 10-12 days. If your still sore remember to stretch and use a foam roller if you have one. Once they feel recovered and ready, HIT 'EM HARD!

QUOTE=tryingtobulkup8;561928631]I've always had a naturally slim build, but I've recently begun to bulk up a bit by lifting weights and eating a ton. I've been eating 5 or so meals a day with a ton of protein and good carbs and fiber and veggies along with drinking a lot of water. One thing I'm not too sure about is how long to rest my muscles after lifting, mainly for legs.

For example, last night I did squats (5 sets of 8 reps), and then lunges (4 sets of 8 reps), and calf raises (6 sets of 12 reps). Today the legs are burning for sure, and I'm thinking about playing ice hockey tomorrow night, which is a pretty serious leg work out. I usually skate once a week but try not to work out legs for a few days before hand. If I'm trying to bulk up the legs, mainly the glutes, is it too soon to skate 48 hours after the leg workout I did last night? I am also planning on skating on Sunday night, which would be 96 hours after working out the legs. What is my best bet for building muscle?[/QUOTE]
    If your not getting better, you're getting worse.

proudgunowner has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You'll have to listen to your body no offense. If im not progressing on my lifts then I need more rest.
    If guns kill people then pencils misspell words and spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat!

F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10) F1eld is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post

. I'd be more worried if the sore/tired legs would inhibit my game play more than if my hockey game would reduce the effectiveness of my leg workout.
    ^this